Name the Stakes

:laughbounce: <----- This is me, laughing at myself for my misinterpretation!! :lol:

Well good...he better not cover her ass anymore! She got herself into the mess...she better take care of herself! (y) (y)

I agree with Amy Lynn, Sydney - the stupid idiot she's being - got herself into this mess and poor Sark had to cover for her because she's not thinking clearly. Gosh he is so confused and angry at her (as well he should be) but is it so wrong of me to wish they would just kiss and make up? EH? WOuldn't that be just dandy? :blush:

I must say I was not expecting the way that cliffhanger ended...ya know with Sark holding that gun to his head. I excpted them to be discovered or something...and maybe Sark was in a perdicatment...But lovely job my freind. OKay I'll stop rambling now...just know I'm completely in love with this fic and can't wait for an update.

TOmmy-Lane

If I were Syd I would feel like a huge, empty hole was in my being with Sark's admission. I'd feel pretty alone right now - even though my current predicament was my own doing. I dunno - even though this wasn't an evil!cliffhanger - no, to me it still was. ;) You've got me hooked, chica! :smiley:

Oh. My. God.

This was so great!!!! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Sark looked away from her now noticing the gun oddly began to feel heavy in his hand. “I hoped you wouldn’t do it,” he said quietly.

This was so great! He luuuuuuuuves her! He luuuuuuuuuuuves her! ;)

He felt torn in two at the sight of her crying before him. Both furious that she had gone against him despite his warnings and now relief that she was still the same Sydney he cared deeply for.

You're writing this part really well. These are uncharacteristic traits of the Sark we know and love, but I can totallly believe that his little British heart is breaking!

“You’re on your own now, Sydney,” Sark said to her before turning and walking out the door.

Argh! How could you do that? He can't leave her by her lonesome. He just can't. Sydney makes a lot of rash, stupid decisions when she's making decisions by herself, we've established that... She's need the cool Sarkster to keep her from doing stupid felgercarb like running back to Sloane... :smiley:

Happy to see an update. I'd be happier if I saw another. ;)

Oooo Suzi, you are so lucky, that I don't have to kill you now!!! :lol:

He better not be leaving her!! Thanks for tying up the cliffhanger!! I loved the fact that he was testing her, seems like everyone in this game is confused about someone- on way or another!!

Great Job Chica!!!!!

I'm so glad that he's not leaving her and I think she should do it by herself cause she got herself into this mess..I wonder what will happen next time,if she'll shoot the guy or not.

Can't wait for more.
~Rach~

I thought he was actually leaving her........ :lol:

Sark brought his gaze back up to her face. He felt torn in two at the sight of her crying before him. Both furious that she had gone against him despite his warnings and now relief that she was still the same Sydney he cared deeply for.
He deeply cared for..... which basically means..... He. Loves. Her. :love:

That was great, Suzi. (y) (y) No more evil cliffhanger!! :lol:

nooo that was still an evil cliffhanger, sark cannot leave syd by herself b/c i think that sark can be a really good ASSest to her in meaning that she needs him to get her through b/c syd isn't a hardass like sark is
ahhhhh
(but it was still good!!! still lovin it!!)
thanks for the pm!

He's leaving her??!?!?!?

Really!??!?!?

This is almost worse than the FIRST cliffhanger!!

aarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! MORE! MORE!

You are writing them very well. I loved it. Can't wait for more. Wish I could do the quote thing, but I'm not good enough to do more than one. :lol:

Thanks for the PM!

thanks suzi!!!
but really - i never thought he was leabing her for good :blink: i guess people can interpit stories differently huh!!
he'll be back guys!!! ;)
btw suzi - i know you like comments in ur feedback but i kinda already told you on AIM - so erm well yeah...............basically...........
keep up the good work twin - and keep me in the know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ^_^

Big update - roughly 8 pages in Word. Sometime I have to find time to write the next chapter ^_^ Hopefully I will get a chance one night this week! Just to let you know, I really wrestled with the end of this chapter. In my mind, I knew this was how I wanted it, but I was almost influenced into changing it. I hope you guys don't hate the ending here...if you do - be kind at least. I know where I want this to lead - just be patient as I get you there :smiley:

Oh, life it seems a struggle between - What we think what we see - I'm not going to change my ways- Just to please you or appease you…

After Sark and Sydney had arrived at their room in the hotel, Sydney promptly headed into the bathroom and turned on the hot water in the large bathtub. Holding one hand under the water, she reached over for the bottle of bubble bath next to the tiny shampoo and conditioner bottles lining the tub. It was one thing she could appreciate about a Covenant afforded hotel suite – the very large Jacuzzi bathtub. It had been so long since she had taken a hot bath and it was the one of the few things that could truly relax her. Relaxation was something she definitely needed right now.

The scent of lavender wafted through the air mixing with the steam from the rising water as she walked out of the bathroom leaving the door slightly open behind her. She looked over to see Sark sitting at the small table by the window getting to work. It made her smile to see him with his tie already discarded, jacket neatly hung and his holster lying beside him. He had such a look of concentration on his face.

“Finding anything interesting,” she asked as she made her way over to the bedside. If Gilbert had kept that thing with some pretty hefty looking diamonds, she knew there had to be something worthwhile in it.

Sark looked up from the file to see Sydney sliding off her shoes then reaching up to undo the clasp on her ruby bracelet. “Are you receiving any counter mission from the CIA while you’re here?”

“No,” she rolled her eyes, “but I’m the one who got the damn thing.” It was just like Sark to suddenly try and pull protocol on her now.

“True, but not without some assistance from me.” He paused. “Go enjoy your bath Sydney and you can look at it after I finish.”

She started to protest but realized it didn’t matter if she looked at it now or later. The bath sounded more appealing than the file anyway. “Fine by me, have fun working.” Sydney smiled at him before sauntering barefoot into the bathroom.

As best as she could, she was trying to push what he had said to her at Gilbert’s out of her mind. She had stood there stunned for a moment at his words until he had poked his head back in the house and asked if she was going to go with him back to the hotel or stay and give Gilbert a proper burial. After letting out a huge sigh of relief, she followed him out to the car where they resumed the silence they had been keeping before.

As she reached up to pull the shift back off her shoulders so it fell to the floor, she thought about what she would be doing if she were back home at that moment. Most likely fixing myself some breakfast before heading into the office, she thought. Her mind then went to her father wondering what he was doing at that exact moment. Maybe thinking of her, she hoped. Slowly, she stuck her toe in the bath before lowering her whole foot in feeling the warmth from the water settling in on her skin. Sydney stepped over the side of the tub and gently lowered herself into the warm water and bubbles before reaching over and turning the jets of the Jacuzzi onto ‘low.’ As she rest her head back, her muscles beginning to loosen from the warm water and the soft rhythmic hum coming from the jets, it was not surprising she drifted off almost immediately.

Forget about the reasons and the treasons we are seeking - Forget about the notion that your emotions can be swept away - Intentions are not wicked - Don't be tricked into thinking so ~ DMB

Sark exhaled deeply as he turned back to look down at the file before him. Something in the file was not making any sense. There were two names in it that stood out at him and he was hesitant if he should let Sydney see it or not. He was surprised that Sloane had sent Sydney in after a file that contained information with a major connection to her, but Sark was unsure of what the connection between the two individuals were especially in regards to the main thing being discussed. It had been so long since he had heard anything about the subject of the file and he had hoped he never would have to again. That apparently was too much to ask for.

As he sat at the table mulling over what it could possibly mean, he felt a small pulsing begin just behind his left eye. Damn migraines, he cursed. When he had first started in this line of work, the migraines were constant with the new levels of stress he encountered but he quickly overcame them. Now it seemed only when something was truly vexing did they present themselves to him. Migraines were such a nuisance and he refused to even acknowledge the fact that he got them on seldom occasion, but he knew he had time for a small break and it would likely help it to go away. If Sydney can take a bath, I can damn well take a brief nap, he thought.

Closing the file and pushing it to the side, Sark walked over to the large four-post bed. He ran a hand lightly over the bedspread taking a moment to appreciate the silken feeling against his fingertips. It brought to his mind the memory of the silken sleep set Sydney had worn in Peru. Instead of trying to block it out, he smiled softly at the recollection. Now that he knew she hadn’t double-crossed him, there was no need to try and deny those events had ever happened. As he lie in the bed, his mind wandered back to what he was going to do about that file before he finally dozed off.

The room was pitch black and Sark felt himself blend in with his surroundings. He looked to the sides trying to listen for any sounds that might clue him in as to where he was, but he heard nothing. Yet, he knew he was not alone. He could feel that other person’s presence looming somewhere in that room with him.

In this setting, a normal person’s reaction might have been fear at the unknown, but Sark’s was anger at a situation he could not control. Realizing his unconscious state, he willed the person to come into view, but they stayed hidden in the shadows along with him.

Suddenly, a light shown on a chair in the middle of the darkened room and he felt compelled to walk towards it. The shadows followed him even as he got closer to the light and he sensed someone else was moving towards the chair as well. He wanted to hang back having the other person be shown before he, but without warning the light moved out revealing both of them.

In the shadows with him had been Michael Vaughn. Damn Sydney for mentioning his name today briefly flickered through his thoughts before she suddenly appeared in the chair between him and Vaughn. He went to reach for his weapon and then realized he had none.

“Looking for something Sark?” Sark looked over at Vaughn to see him holding two guns at him. One apparently was Sark’s. Again the anger flashed through Sark as he commanded himself to be holding a weapon more menacing than both of Vaughn’s together.

“I think he found it,” Sydney purred as she rose from the chair and walked over to Sark. Sark’s eyes moved over the red leather material clinging to Sydney’s curves before swinging his gaze back to Vaughn. Sark wrapped his arm around Sydney’s waist as he cast a confident sneer right back at Vaughn.

“I meant something of use…” Sark noted Vaughn did not wear his envy well. It was not surprising coming from the man who stayed married to one woman yet pined for another.

Sark felt a weight against his hip and he reached down to find his trusty Glock now at his side. “You mean like this?”

Raising his weapon to Vaughn, he saw Sydney reach up to take the gun from his hand. “Allow me.”

Sark looked to Vaughn waiting for Sydney to pull the trigger, but nothing happened. As if in slow motion, he turned to see her raising the gun up to him. He felt the control of the situation slipping from his grasp and the anger being replaced with surprise. “Sydney?”

Seeing the gleam in her eye, there was suddenly no doubt in Sark’s mind that Sydney fully intended on pulling the trigger.

Sark eyes snapped open before he quickly sat up in bed. Sydney standing in her robe and towel drying her hair jumped startled by his sudden movement. “Where’s the fire?”

He exhaled sharply trying to regain his composure. What the bloody f*** was that all about? “What?”

“Never mind. Having a bad dream?” Sark noted her teasing tone of voice and tried best to ignore it. That as well as the fact that Sydney’s robe was beginning to gape revealing a bit of her tanned cleavage.

Sark threw his legs over the side of the bed pulling his arms over his head to stretch. “Sleeping too heavily, I think. Forgot where I was…” He turned back to smirk at her noticing she now had one leg propped up onto the chair as she rubbed lotion on her outer thigh. Christ Sydney, are you doing this on purpose?

“I bet that doesn’t happen too often.” As Sark’s eyes were still transfixed at the sight of her massaging her own tone leg with lotion and the robe beginning to slip even further apart, Sydney suddenly looked up catching him in the act.

“No, it doesn’t.”

He turned away trying to distract himself from the sight of her in the robe and the smell of tangerine scented lotion lingering in the air. As he caught sight of the file still lying on the small table, he realized there was no way he could let Sydney see it. He wanted to check into things himself before he let her in on its contents. He walked over to the window pulling the curtain to the side to look out at the lights of the city. Somehow, he needed to get in touch with Colin.

“Sark?”

The sound of her voice interrupting his thoughts, he let the curtain fall back over the window before turning around to face her. Maybe it had been the tone of her voice as she said his name or the way she was looking at him now, but something about Sydney at that moment caused his breath to catch in his throat. Gone was the white terrycloth robe, now she stood before him wearing a short silk robe knotted at the waist. Her brown hair still slightly damp lay across her face highlighting her cut cheekbones while he noted the glow coming from her skin was only making the matching rose colored slip peeking out from the robe seem even more enticing. Here was a woman he had just dreamt was about to use his own gun to kill him rendering him speechless. What the hell is wrong with me?

She fidgeted with the ends of the belt on her robe trying to figure out how to say what she wanted to tell him. “Do you know what I was thinking about a little bit ago?” He swallowed thickly as she brought her eyes to his. Deep inside, he just had this feeling he knew what she was about to say, but he wasn’t sure if he could handle hearing it from her. “Today, when you told me that I was on my own? I thought you were going to leave me there and I couldn’t help but think how even if I would have gone back to Los Angeles like you wanted, I would still be alone. No better or worse, but alone all the same.”

He had to stop her before she said more. “Sydney…”

“Let me finish, Sark.” There she was before him just as he always had known her. Sydney who had always challenged him and made him want to be so much more than he was. “I’m not going to tell you I’m sorry for coming to Zurich. It was something you did that triggered my memories and I wanted to know why. You say you didn’t know that phrase would trigger their return and I believe you. I don’t know why, but I do. If you want me to be on my own now, that’s fine. I’m not going to pretend anymore that being with you is better than being alone.”

Sark put his hands in his pants pockets slightly beginning to rock back onto his heels. “You think you’ll make it without me?”

“You really are a conceited bastard, aren’t you?”

Hands still in his pockets, he walked towards her slowly never taking his eyes off of hers. Sydney in a vain attempt to prove her point that she would never back down from his challenges stood her ground in front of him. Sark stood merely inches in front of her and he was still able to faintly smell the lotion she had used earlier. “You’ve always known that about me Sydney.”

“That doesn’t mean I have to like it…”

He knew what was going to come next and there was no more sense in trying to fight it.
“Oh, but I believe you do.”

Bringing his hand up to tilt Sydney’s chin up towards him, he leaned down to brush his lips softly against hers. Sark felt her resist at first as she kept her arms limp at her sides, but as he moved the hand along her jaw to the back of her head and the other to grasp at the silky fabric clinging to her hip, Sydney relented bringing her own arms to wrap around him.

Despite the varying emotions he had felt towards her in the past few weeks nothing stood out in his mind more than what the feel of Sydney in his arms could do to him. He wanted to be her lover now not her protector. As their kiss became more passionate with playful nips at one another’s lips and their touch grew more desperate with every movement along the others body, Sark began to pull her over towards the bed no longer wishing to continue wasting time like they had been.

His hands went to the knotted belt of her robe while hers went to the buttons on his shirt trying her best to get them without looking. Sydney pressed her lips against his, her tongue playfully beginning to flick against his. The knot on her robe undone, Sark moved his hands to her hips covered by her silken nightgown. Running his hand up her body, he cupped her breast through the material while the other one pushed the silk up from her hip.

Sydney broke apart from the kiss moving her head to the side exposing her bare neck for Sark to nibble at while she finished undoing the last button and began to pull his shirt out from his pants. She let a moan escape her lips as he gently bit the soft flesh below her ear. Sark took his hands away from her long enough for Sydney to pull his shirt from off of him and for Sark to pull her robe off letting it fall to the floor.

Their hands were back on one another in an instant, Sark biting at her earlobe sent shivers through causing her nipples to harden against the cool fabric. “You do know how to torment the hell out of me, don’t you?”

She raked her nails down across his bare chest and over his abdomen. “It’s a gift.”

Wrapping his arm around her back, he moved her towards the edge of the bed guiding her back onto it. “I do believe it is, Sydney.”

Now lying on top of her in the middle of the large bed, Sark ran his hand up the thigh she had been rubbing lotion into before. “What possessed you to wear this tonight?”

“Are you complaining?”

He smiled down at her before moving his lips to her ears. “Absolutely not,” he murmured huskily against her neck.

“You talk too much,” Sydney started to say before Sark snaked his hand underneath her silk nightgown to tease her nipples. Sydney raised her hips up into him causing him to groan lightly.

“For once, I’ll agree.”

Wasting no more time, he pulled her up towards him with one hand while the other went to the hem of her nightgown giving it a sharp tug. As he pulled it off of her in one quick motion, he brought his lips to hers leaning her back against the bed. Sark pressed himself into Sydney now naked beneath him as she continued to rake her nails down his back. He wondered what had suddenly changed in him. Hours before he was still resenting her being there, but now he could think of anything better than her being at his side.

Sark’s lips left hers as he started a trail of kisses alternating with light bites down her neck, across her collarbone, over her breasts, and past her flat stomach. The smell from her tangerine lotion was invading his senses as he began to work his mouth down to her clit. Lightly, he flicked his tongue over it as Sydney began to moan. While he started to slowly trace circles against her sensitive area, she began to alternate taking up fistfuls of comforter or digging her nails into Sark’s shoulder blade. His own hardness began to ache as Sydney began to buck her hips into him while he furiously flicked his tongue over her clit. She cried out his name arching her back against the bed as a new feeling came over Sark. He would do anything for this woman – love her, protect her, anything she wanted would be hers.

Moving up to kiss her, Sydney murmured, “Want me yet?” Sark smiled down at her.

“Now, there is a question you never have to ask again.” Sark sat back up in the bed moving his hands to undue his belt. All of the sudden, Sydney pulled herself up reaching for it as well.

“Allow me.”

It was as if Sark’s blood only seconds before hot from Sydney’s touch went ice cold at the words that passed from her lips. Why of all things, did she have to say that? He took a deep breath preparing to stop Sydney from going any further, but Sydney brought a hand up to the back of his head and her lips to his. Son of a b****. Sark pulled back from her kiss and brought his hands up to delicately cup her face.

Sydney’s eyes searched his face not understanding why he was stopping. “What’s the matter?”

“We shouldn’t do this Sydney.” Sark saw her face contort into a look of confusion. It killed him to stop and he was quite certain he would be turned on for hours now, but he was letting his emotions get the better of him. Sark had been letting Sydney cause him to lose control over so many things. If he didn’t stop it now, there would be no going back.

“What? Why?” The tone of her voice now was now conveying anger as well as her initial disbelief. Sark moved off of the bed and bent over to pick up Sydney’s slip from the floor. She snatched it from him as he handed it to her.

“Sydney, you have stirred more emotion in me in the past few weeks than I think I have ever acknowledged in my life.” She snorted as she pulled her slip over her head. “If we are going to do this…work together. Then, we cannot do this,” he paused gesturing back and forth between them, “I can’t allow myself to feel this way for you when my life depends on showing no emotion for anyone.”

Sydney moved forward pulling herself out of the bed. “Well, that’s just great Sark,” she said as she walked past him.

“Sydney, I’m sorry, but…”

She turned back to look at him before walking back into the bathroom. “Don’t be Sark. If you say you can’t allow yourself to feel anything for me, then feeling sorry isn’t allowed either.”

Sark sighed defeated and still incredibly horny. He grabbed his shirt from off the floor and walked over to the table. Buttoning up his shirt and strapping on his holster, he reached for his jacket. He could hear the water running in the bathroom and decided it would be best to make himself scarce for awhile. Sark pulled on his jacket and grabbed the file from the table. Moving quickly out of the suite, he shut the door behind him.

As Sark sat in the rental car he and Sydney had been in earlier, he took out his cell phone dialing his handler’s number.

“Colin, I need you to look into the whereabouts of Will Tippen.”

- I was just really worried I was making Sark too weak with all his new found feelings for Sydney. I truly think he wouldn't give into them so easily hence his leaving... Thanks for all your comments, you guys really do keep me going/inspired to write more ^_^

Suzi, don't worry about the end of that chapter! I didn't hate it at all. In fact, it'll make the final payoff (cause I know there's gotta be one ;)) all the better!

Sark had been letting Sydney cause him to lose control over so many things. If he didn’t stop it now, there would be no going back
Ahhh yes - this is the problem that Sarkney faces! Sydney making Sark lose control...and in some situations, that is no good for business. I completely understand his motivations - though part of me is still dying for him to just accept it!! :lol:

Sark put his hands in his pants pockets slightly beginning to rock back onto his heels. “You think you’ll make it without me?”

“You really are a conceited bastard, aren’t you?”

Hands still in his pockets, he walked towards her slowly never taking his eyes off of hers. Sydney in a vain attempt to prove her point that she would never back down from his challenges stood her ground in front of him. Sark stood merely inches in front of her and he was still able to faintly smell the lotion she had used earlier. “You’ve always known that about me Sydney.”

“That doesn’t mean I have to like it…”

He knew what was going to come next and there was no more sense in trying to fight it.
“Oh, but I believe you do.”
Yay! Some classic banter and challenge games! And then they proceed to some lovely hotness. Which was wonderfully hot, by the way! :blush: Until Sark interrupted it - but I'm sure you have your reasons and your own plan for where this is going ;)

Now that he knew she hadn’t double-crossed him, there was no need to try and deny those events had ever happened.
Glad to know he's not being a complete idiot there! Of course she didn't double-cross him!

That certainly was an interesting dream that Sark had. Hmmm - I'm wondering if there is any significance in the dream :Ponder: or maybe I'm just reading too much into it and he was reacting to the day's circumstances.

Great update! Loving it so much, even the ending!! (y) (y)

Oh, Suzi... Such good stuff. ^_^ Where to begin???

“Never mind. Having a bad dream?” Sark noted her teasing tone of voice and tried best to ignore it. That as well as the fact that Sydney’s robe was beginning to gape revealing a bit of her tanned cleavage.

Sark threw his legs over the side of the bed pulling his arms over his head to stretch. “Sleeping too heavily, I think. Forgot where I was…” He turned back to smirk at her noticing she now had one leg propped up onto the chair as she rubbed lotion on her outer thigh. Christ Sydney, are you doing this on purpose?

“I bet that doesn’t happen too often.” As Sark’s eyes were still transfixed at the sight of her massaging her own tone leg with lotion and the robe beginning to slip even further apart, Sydney suddenly looked up catching him in the act.
For some reason, I think this is hilarious. Such a guy reaction- you captured it PERFECTLY. :lol:

“Sydney, I’m sorry, but…”

She turned back to look at him before walking back into the bathroom. “Don’t be Sark. If you say you can’t allow yourself to feel anything for me, then feeling sorry isn’t allowed either."

Aw... But it added a certain realism to their relationship. I like the way you ended the chapter and think it was realistic (must get thesaurus) and gave a new depth to Sydney and Sark than if it had been a happy 'lil reunion.

I agree with Amy. Interesting dream?? Any signifigance?? Am dying to find out. :D Thanks for the PM.

Wow! I love the twist and it's so believable! You're right - even if Sark was feeling like meadows, flowers, and butterflies he better darn well not let anyone see it. Syd is playing a dangerous and illadvised game here. Does she truly understand what she's up against and the position she put Sark in by playing the role of Sloane ally? And now...what's this information about Will? Is Will going to be part of this whole elaborate scheme or is he still just a pawn?

Awesome update! :smiley:

She turned back to look at him before walking back into the bathroom. “Don’t be Sark. If you say you can’t allow yourself to feel anything for me, then feeling sorry isn’t allowed either.”

Suzi, that's a great line. I loved it. I liked that fact that you had Sark stop in the middle. He seems like he would actully do that. Have conflicting emotions over the fact that he has feelings for Sidney and the fact that he prides himself that he can seperate his emotions from the "game". Great job!! :smiley:

Galicdreamer said:
This was an awesome line!!
I love how he stopped cause he needs to get his head back in the game,but what Syd said is true that if he doesn't wan't to feel anything he shouldn't be sorry.
Can't wait for more and the twist about Will..YAY :D

~Rach~

Back