Names, Nicknames, Aliases and the like..

I know this idea won't go in, and I know 90% of the people here will shrug it off, but I personally love this one. From the first time I started up EverQuest, I thought it was stupid you couldn't change your name when ever you wanted. (Online FPS habit?)

"To a stranger, his name changes as often as his clothes."

The issue of names is a tricky one when it comes to MMORPGS. It's basically the only thing that ties identity to the avatar, since armor is constantly changing, and facial details are not THAT noticable in games. I can understand the routine "one name till your six feet under" factor in most MMO's, but what I would really like to see in HJ is the chance to get away from that. Hell, even in real life you can legally change your name to something completely different. What my point is, wouldn't it be nice to be able to get away from one, single static name? Why not have nicknames, titles, aliases, and simple put, fake names.

Here's how I see it. When you first create your character, you choose your first name, and your Alias. (What everyone see's you as, and how NPC's refer to you.) From there, you can choose to take a last name right away, incase you have a family you wish to join, or possible keep it "secret" until you find one you do want to join. I think that would be pretty convenient for new players, myself.

That way you could change your Alias as much as you wanted without breaking that name-binding factor. The catch is, your actual, "REAL" name is kept a secret unless you mean to share it. An example of when you would want to share your real name is for when you need to mail something to someone, or simply add them to your friends list.

Anyway. I just thought this sounded somewhat cool at the time. Just imagine, we could have Kuzzle the Hammer or even Daax the Whiteboi! This would also be nice for multiple titles like Lord for when you own land, or even army rank titles from PVP. (If such things are already implemented..... But then again, it's not like this is going to be considered in the first place.)

...Hammertime! *dances around*

Seriously, though, why would I be "the Hammer"? Sheesh. :P

Anyway, yeah. Aliases... It could work, but I've no real preference.

I've always been a fan of titles, nick names, and even earned prefix or suffix titles. Captain being a favorite. Aye, aye.
Alias' is an idea I can really get behind. In an ideal world maybe different people would see different names when inspecting or hovering over your form. Your friends will see.. Daax the Friend. Your enemies will see.. Daax the Fiend. As your various factions increase and decrease titles such as Enemy, Friend, Foe, Threat, Thief, Warrior, Champion, Wise, Beneviolent, Cursed, Fool, Bastard, ----!.. Okay the last couple just slipped out. Regardless, I wish it'd happen as well.

With the exception of the 'secret' name, LotRO has the prefixes and suffixes covered. You can also change your surname fairly at-will.

...different people would see different names when inspecting or hovering over your form. Your friends will see.. Daax the Friend. Your enemies will see.. Daax the Fiend. As your various factions increase and decrease titles such as Enemy, Friend, Foe, Threat, Thief, Warrior, Champion, Wise, Beneviolent, Cursed...

That's one of the best ideas i've heard for an MMO. Kudos.

I don't think i'd really get into just simply changing my in game name as much, you know for the heck of it, but I really like that idea.

Back