NASA: Discovery Lifts Off!

Robby

Helper Bot
(click to view the full-size image)
520261main_image_1872_516-387.jpg

Space shuttle Discovery's liftoff from Launch Pad 39A at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida on a picturesque, warm, late February afternoon was witnessed by news media representatives near the countdown clock at the Press Site. Launch of the STS-133 mission was at 4:53 p.m. EST on Feb. 24. Discovery and its six-member crew are on a mission to deliver the Permanent Multipurpose Module, packed with supplies and critical spare parts, as well as Robonaut 2, the dexterous humanoid astronaut helper, to the International Space Station. Discovery is making its 39th mission and is scheduled to be retired following STS-133. This is the 133rd Space Shuttle Program mission and the 35th shuttle voyage to the International Space Station. Image Credit: NASA/Troy Cryder (More at NASA Picture Of The Day)

I watched the launch yesterday online. Meh.
The news crew broadcasting ruined it for me. Talk about spouting nonsense.
They just needed to shut up and let history make its own mark.
Kinda irritated me.
There was a live message board on the page as well. Why people need to be so rude is beyond me. Spamming, swearing and being rude when we all knew there were children present. Saw some interesting questions posed by kids in class but the board was moving so fast I don't think they got their answers.
All in all, I rate the launch as a success, the reporters covering it at a 2 for yacking non-stop about felgercarb and the message board...well. Its intent I give a 8 (Nice Concept) but in its implementation I give it a 3 due to the spam, rude remarks, off topic comments and lack of moderator control. It also had times when it moved so fast you couldn't keep up with it.

Back