Space NASA Image of the Day

Space Station Star Trail

650797main_jsc2012e051505_alt_full.jpg

Stars leave streaks of light in concentric circles in this Mar 16, 2012, view from the International Space Station. (More at NASA Picture of The Day)

Celebrating Women in STEM

52765012659_820f6ce6d4_o.jpg

Deputy director for technology and research investments at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, Dr. Christyl Johnson, speaks during a panel discussion as part of a Women’s History Month program, “Celebrating Women Who Tell Our Stories,” Wednesday, March 22, 2023. (More at NASA Picture of The Day)

Earth’s Radiant Atmosphere

iss068e054895_orig.jpg

The last rays of an orbital sunset illuminate the Earth's atmosphere in this Feb. 17, 2023, photograph from the International Space Station as it orbited 269 miles above the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Argentina. (More at NASA Picture of The Day)

Photo Archivist and Photographer Aubrey Gemignani

nhq202303160001.jpg

“I think I’m always seeking out projects that help people feel seen. And maybe that’s why I got so into photography initially. I struggle with that myself — feeling seen. And so to help other people feel seen is definitely an interest of mine that I keep coming back to." — Aubrey Gemignani, Photo Archivist/Photographer, Mori Associates (More at NASA Picture of The Day)

Crew-4’s Museum Field Trip

52778381958_894029fae1_o.jpg

NASA astronauts Kjell Lindgren, left, Jessica Watkins, center, and Bob Hines, right, take in the view from the interactive recreation of the International Space Station’s cupola in the One World Connected gallery at the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum on March 28, 2023. (More at NASA Picture of The Day)

NASA’s Crawler Transporter 2 Sets Record

ksc-20230329-ph-ilw01_0151_orig.jpg

Guinness World Records officially designated NASA’s Crawler Transporter 2 as the heaviest self-powered vehicle, weighing approximately 6.65 million pounds—equivalent to about 15 Statues of Liberty or 1,000 pickup trucks. (More at NASA Picture of The Day)

Artemis II Crew Revealed

52794149980_ef2c9a6b15_o.jpg

Canadian Space Agency astronaut Jeremy Hansen (from left) and NASA astronauts Victor Glover, Reid Wiseman, and Christina Koch greet the crowd at Ellington Field near NASA’s Johnson Space Center on Monday, April 3, 2023. (More at NASA Picture of The Day)

Battling Bots

msfc-1800281orig.jpg

Industrial-size robots built by high school teams compete against each other in a game at Rocket City Regional, Alabama’s annual FIRST Robotics Competition, in this March 16, 2018, image. (More at NASA Picture of The Day)

Schulz, Snoopy Visit NASA Headquarters

52798176588_1ab625c56b_o.jpg

NASA Administrator Bill Nelson (left), Jeannie Schulz, widow of Peanuts creator Charles M. Schulz, and Snoopy are all smiles during a Wednesday, April 5, 2023, visit to NASA Headquarters in Washington (More at NASA Picture of The Day)

X-59 Gets Its Tail

p23-042-06-web.jpg

NASA’s X-59 sits in support framing while undergoing the installation of its lower empennage, or tail section, at Lockheed Martin Skunk Works in Palmdale, California, in this image from late March 2023. (More at NASA Picture of The Day)

Heavy Rain, Snow Revive Tulare Lake

tulareflooding653_oli_2023088_lrg.jpg

Floodwater (dark blue) stands out against the vegetation in agricultural fields around Tulare Lake near Corcoran, California, in this enhanced color image taken by Landsat 8 on March 29, 2023. (More at NASA Picture of The Day)

Hubble Spots a Galaxy with Tendrils

hubble_j0204_potw2315a.jpg

This image taken with the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope shows JO204, a ‘jellyfish galaxy’ so named for the bright tendrils of gas that appear in this image as drifting lazily below JO204’s bright central bulk. The galaxy lies almost 600 million light-years away in the constellation Sextans. (More at NASA Picture of The Day)

SuperBIT Sees Colliding Antennae Galaxies

superbit_antennae.png

This view of the Antennae Galaxies, two large galaxies colliding 60 million light-years away, is one of the first research images from the Super Pressure Balloon Imaging Telescope (SuperBIT) that launched on a scientific super pressure balloon April 16, 2023 (local time New Zealand). (More at NASA Picture of The Day)

Back