Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

NASA to announce proof of life out there?

Discussion in 'Tech, Science, and Space' started by Kevin, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

Well, this is a bit mysterious. NASA has a press conference scheduled for this Thursday afternoon with the subject being Astrobiology.

The announced topic of the press conference is...
    Rumors are starting to spread rampantly on the net, everything from proof of life found as a result of recent expeditions to full blown 'First Contact' details. :eek:

Further adding to the mystery is a media embargo until the conference starts. Media embargoes are not that unusual when dealing with, say, frozen concentrated orange juice futures, but NASA conferences are usually pretty straightforward without much drama.

The NASA media press release can be found here.

Thoughts?

2. Kevin

3. Wolfrunner

Wolfrunner Rocket Ranger

This should be good. It would interesting if they announced that they have been in contact with intelligent aliens and all this media drama would suggest that. On the other hand I expect that they will announce that they found evidence of bacteria on a moon or something.

Still I'm looking to what they have to say.

4. Robby

Robby The Robot

Arsenic-Based Life

Arsenic-Based Life
    [​IMG]

(Via XKCD, a webcomic of romance and math humor)

5. Kevin

Well, it was a little disappointing.

No announcements about life out there, just a new way of life here on Earth. The Cliff Notes is that they found a bacteria strain that is capable of surviving on arsenic (hence the XKCD comic above :D) instead of phosphorous.

What the means, really, is that planetary bodies that previously were dismissed as not being able to support life should get another look at since life as we know it has just been redefined a little a bit. In particular, Saturn's moon Titan deserves another look.

6. Wolfrunner

Wolfrunner Rocket Ranger

I expected it to be bacteria but I expected it to be in outerspace. I must say I was disapointed that it was found on Earth.

7. Starbeast from Planet X

Starbeast from Planet X Benevolent Galaxy Being

[​IMG]

No alien beings or creatures yet...............ok, I'll wait........