Needle Pulling Thread

hay! this story looks sooooooo good! :D
i hope it's nothing 2 bad :(
but i think it is funny that almost every one is say'n' that they tink it is cancer :D unless it is cancer :(
anyway can i plz get a pm?

hope u update soon, like today???
plz cos i am going 2 da snow tomorrow and i would love it if i could have some more story to go on so i can consentrate on snowbarding and not what is wrong with syd!!! :D

I'm going to update tomorrow night most likely. I just got back form Cedar Point like 20 minutes ago, and I still feel like I'm spinning, so I don't think I can write right now, lol.

I think someone mentioned that Sydney and Vaughn were married further up on the page. I just want to clarify that they are not married.

I'm so glad you all like it. I will defiantly add you to the Pm list.

~Andrea :angelic:

Sorry this took me so long. There will probably be more gaps between updates now, especially with school starting up soon (eww). Hope you like the chapter

Chapter 2

The harsh sounds of beeping immediately met my ears as my senses became alert again. I felt disoriented. I opened my eyes slowly, not knowing where I was. The light was painful on my sensitive eyes. I was surrounded by bright, white walls, which were blinding in contrast to the blackness that had overcome me. I pulled at the sheet beneath my fingers. It defiantly wasn’t my soft comforter from home. The fabric was scratchy and thin. I turned my head, trying to get a better picture of where I was. I was surprised to see a sleeping Vaughn by my side. He had a firm grip on my hand, which accounted for the warmness that I was feeling in that one particular spot on my body. He held tight, as if afraid I would float away if he let go.

“Vaughn. Vaughn,” I whispered, shaking his hand lightly.

He opened his eyes slowly, but sat up quickly when he realized whose voice was shaking him awake.

He looked at me for a full minute before uttering a word.

“Syd?” he croaked.

I looked at him with confusion dancing on my face. “Vaughn, what’s going on? Where am I?”

He looked hesitant. “Let me go tell your parents that you’re awake.”

I didn’t argue, even though I was completely lost and perplexed at the situation. He exited the room slowly, and returned with my hysterical mother and somber father in tow. My mother came running towards me with tears streaming down her face. She threw her arms around me.

“Sydney!”

I hugged her back, giving Vaughn and my dad looks of utter confusion behind my mom’s arm.

She pulled back, looking me in the eye with a look of deep despair.

“Okay, seriously, what’s going on?”

Everyone gave each other looks of desolation, as if they knew this was coming.

My mother sat on the edge of my bed, taking my hand. I looked at Vaughn. He stood by with a look I had never seen on his face. He had small tears forming in the back of his eyes. I had never seen Vaughn cry, except when he was eight and his pet turtle died. He locked eyes with me; a silent message conveying between us.
“Vaughn,” I whispered.

My mom turned around to regard Vaughn, and the pleading look I was giving him.

“Michael, maybe you should be the one to do this,” she said, standing up, and offering her seat on the bed.

He nodded his head gravely. Just the look on his face, caused my heart to plummet to the ground, and tears to form in my own eyes. Whatever was coming was not going to be good news for me, and I knew it.

He replaced my mother on the side of the bed, and also took my hand.

“We’ll live you two alone,” my mom said.

I could see my dad protesting, but she managed to push him out of the room.

“Vaughn, where am I? What’s going on?”

“What’s the last thing you remember?”

“Blacking out,” I said, immediately.

He was quite for a moment, like the mere thought caused him unimaginable pain.

“You’re in the hospital, Syd.”

He looked deep into my eyes, searching for some type response. There was none. The truth was I knew that he was going to say that. I simply didn’t want to believe it. I finally spoke.

“Vaughn, what’s wrong with me?”

I willed for him to reply with some witty, sarcastic remark, like, “there’s a lot wrong with you, Syd.” Then, he would tell me he was joking, but I knew by the sincerity reflecting in his eyes, he was not joking in the slightest. That’s what scared me.

He looked away from me for a second; attempting to compose himself for some of the worst news he would have to deliver to the person who he loved most in the world.

“Sydney, you’re sick.”

I didn’t speak. I couldn’t. My throat felt like it was closing; not allowing me to breathe. Finally, I was able to utter out two words.

“How sick?”
Vaughn tiredly rubbed his face. “You have chronic renal kidney failure,” he uttered.
Just the words sounded scary. “What does that mean?” I asked, as tears fell from eyes onto my lap.

“You’re kidneys are failing to carry out the function that they are there for: to cleanse your blood, and remove waste products.”

“So, my kidneys aren’t working?” I asked, clarifying. I must have been hearing him wrong. There was no way my body would be betray me like that.

“They haven’t been working for a while now, Syd. The symptoms aren’t usually detected in the early stages. The weakness you’ve been feeling- the nausea, the itching- that’s because of the kidneys.”

“So, my kidneys are just going to die out, and I’m going to go with them,” I suddenly cried out in a abrupt outburst. This couldn’t be happening. All my dreams, all my hopes, my future with Vaughn were all vanishing before my eyes. I just wanted to reach out, and take them back, but they were too far now.

Vaughn immediately pulled me into a tight embrace. “You’re not going anywhere,” he mumbled into my hair. He was crying now, too.

Together we sat together mourning for the loss of our bright future. Was I going to die? Was this disease terminal? How would it be treated? Was it painful? I had so many questions that I wanted answered, but for now I cried for my loss.

~*~*~*

After Vaughn and I felt stable we had a doctor come and talk to me; to explain what was about to happen. My parents stood gravely in the corner. Their pained expression was too much. I looked away, and focused on my hands. I couldn’t even look at Vaughn! I was causing everyone this anguish. I didn’t wish that upon anyone.

“Sydney, good to see you’re awake,” the doctor said, in an almost sickening cheery way. He looked young to be a doctor, but I assumed my parents were be paying for the best. “I’m Doctor Armstrong. I’m a nephrologist, and will be treating you.”

I didn’t respond to statement. I preferred the solitude of the dark inside my head instead of the actual darkness I was now facing.

“I assume you have been told the general details of what will happen?”

I didn’t respond. My throat felt tight once again. I didn’t want to attempt talking. Vaughn noticed this, and did me the favour of being my voice.

“She knows the general facts. Yes,” he told the doctor.
The doctor nodded, as he looked down at the clipboard clutched his right hand.

“Okay, Sydney, here’s what’s going to happen. Because your kidneys are failing, a dialysis machine becomes necessary.”

“What exactly is that?” my mom interrupted.

“In general, it’s a machine that will clean Sydney’s blood for her and remove waste products from her body, which as of now is not happening naturally.”

Again, my mother interrupted.

“How often will Sydney have to go have this procedure done?”

“She’ll have to go to a treatment center three times a week for the rest of her life. She will be put on a dialysis machine, meaning a fistula- a sort of connection between two vessels on her arm- will be surgically created as soon as possible. This will make it a lot simpler for the two needles to be inserted into her arm. Don’t worry it’s not painful. You’re arm will be numb, so you won’t feel a thing,” he added at the look of panic on my face. I wasn’t one for needles. “Of course, at some point you will be able to do the treatment at home when you become more familiar with the process,” he explained to the four of us.

My head shot up at the mention of my whole life.

“My entire life?” I asked in disbelief.

“Unfortunately, you’re kidneys will never regain their function, so yes, you will have to be on dialysis the rest of you life.”

“Is there anything else that can be done?” Vaughn asked, hopefully.

The doctor shook his head in sympathy.

“There is, but the chances of Sydney receiving a kidney donor are very unlikely. For now, I suggest we see how Sydney reacts to the dialysis, and go from there. Many patients actually adapt quite well, and don’t have problems with it. You’re life will go back to normal before you know it, Sydney,” he said in a reassuring voice. The faces in the room didn’t look too comforted, though. “I know you have many questions for me, so I’ll give you some time to absorb the new information, and we’ll talk later,” he told the room with a smile.

He exited through the door, and everyone exchanged glances with each other, except me. I didn’t want to look at all the grave expressions. They would just discourage me more.

“Everything’s going to be fine, honey. We’ll get through this. Won’t we, Jack?” my mom asked, in an obvious attempt to cheer me up.
“Of course we will,” he said, a smile plastered across his face. Both of them approached my bed, and gave me warm, reassuring hugs. I felt numb as they left me with Vaughn. He stood riveted on the spot. He was barely blinking. His pain was mine.

“Vaughn?” I said, reaching out to him. He took my outstretched hand, and came close.

Neither of us said anything, just stared deep into each other’s eyes, noticing what a nightmare our dream had become. Just thinking about everything that had happened in the past twenty fours hours made my heart ache. Why did this happen? I didn’t know. Why did everything have to be snatched away from me? I didn’t know. All I knew was that Vaughn would be by my side as this nightmare played out. That was the only thing I could rely on. Together we are one, and together we would stay one.

Aww that's soo sad!!! I can't believe she has to do that for the rest of her life!!!! (n)
-I hope she gets a kidney donor!!!
And I'm glad Vaughn will be by her side the entire time!!
-Great update!! Thanks for the pm!!

I didn't think Syd was pregnant...
but I didn't expect kidney failure either...
That was so emotional...
Thanks for the pm
Can't wait for more.

oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jawdrop:
that was sooooooooooooooo good
and soooooooooooo unexpected,
plz plz plz update soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon!

from ABV

p.s. thanks for da pm

That was so sad :cry:

I can't believe she has to deal with this for the rest of her life- hopefully she'll find a donor - maybe Vaughn could do it?

Having a chronic illness will try their relationship. Sydney will often feel depressed and probably angry at times. Hopefully, Vaughn will help her through this and won't give up either.

Thanks for the PM.

Chris

WOW you wrote everything so well... I don't know much about kidney failure but seen several documentaries :angelic: (I just happen to be addicted to them, sort of like feeding my brain with information kinda brain storming like LOL :P )

A kidney transplant is difficult to get (and I'm not even pointing out the price for such a surgery!!!!!) plus it will have to work with your body... so if you get one and your body rejects it, all hopes are flying out the window

This is soooo :cry: but you did an amazing job!!!!!!! (y)

I'm more concerned about Sydney's psychological side though than physical. The doctor's right. People can have a normal life. But will Sydney be able to get through it! She's gonna fear Vaughn's gonna leave her for another woman,etc... I hope she won't! She has to be very strong now and trust in her family! :smiley:

Back