Never Should Have Loved

Disclaimer: I don't own Alias, won't ever own it, so get over it.

Sydney Bristow walked up to a three story mini mansion dressed in knee length strapped boots, a black leather mini skirt, and a black tube top. Her shoulder length hair was indigo with red highlights, and she carried a wicked looking whip in her right hand. Stopping momentarily to pose dramatically, she continued walking to the house – the house of Sean Hunter.
Sean Hunter was known to have worked with many terrorist organizations from his home in South Carolina. The CIA believed that he had worked with the mysterious organization, The Covenant, in the past. Believing that Hunter had valuable Intel about the Covenant, and possibly about Sydney’s disappearance, Dixon sent Sydney to the house to download a copy of any Intel he held in his home.
The perfect opportunity came in the guise of a Halloween party being thrown for Hunter’s associates, and any potential associates. In the dominatrix outfit that Sydney wore, she was sure to blend in.
Security was lax, Sydney noticed as she walked right by the man at the door, unhindered. She entered a large ballroom on the main level that was full of people. There had to be at least 200 present for this rather unorthodox gathering of wanted individuals. Looking around, Sydney couldn’t help but laugh as she noticed several people wearing costumes of Bin Laden, the Unabomber, and even Hannibal Lecter. A group to the left were all disguised as past presidents, Clinton and Bush Senior were most noticeable.
She noticed two flights of stairs, lining the side of the main room, leading up to a balcony where she saw who she believed to be Hunter. Behind him lay a set of doors that led to the many rooms on the second floor. Knowing that she couldn’t get to those doors without Hunter knowing, Sydney decided that she should mingle with the guests.
She walked through the crowd, listening to parts of conversations, gathering what information she could, when someone to her left caught her attention.
“ ‘Do not go gentle into that good night. Old age should burn and rave at close of day. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.’ Who said it?” A man dressed in brown leathers and a metal helm, asked the group in front of him. Unable to resist, Sydney stepped into the group and answered, before any of the other men could open their mouths.
“Dylan Thomas,” Sydney answered, “Welsh poet. He gained notoriety at a young age due to his amazing skills in verbal imagery.”
The man smiled, glad that someone knew of his favorite poet. “The name’s Bill. Bill Steiner. I’m pleased to meet someone who is more than just a mindless thug.” Bill said.
Sydney faked a smile. “Thank you. I’m glad to find the same. By the way, my name is Christina.”
“Christina, eh? Nice name. You know, if you care to have further discussions about Thomas in private, we can go up to the library.”
“My pleasure,” Sydney said as she followed Steiner up the stairs. When they reaches the balcony, the man Sydney believed to be Sean Hunter rose and greeted Steiner warmly.
“Never one for a party, are you Bill?” Hunter asked, warmly.
“Nope. It doesn’t help when the fellow party goers know nothing about Dylan Thomas,” Steiner replied with a grin.
“Apparently there are some exceptions,” Hunter said, noting Sydney’s presence behind Steiner.
“There are always exceptions. Sean, this is Christina. She alone knew of Thomas’ work. I figured that we could use your library to have a discussion in private. That is, if you don’t mind.”
Hunter eyed Sydney. “I have neither heard of you nor know for whom you work.”
Understanding the unvoiced question, she spoke, “I work for myself.”
“And searching for contacts. Ambitious, you are. Perhaps later on I could speak to you…?” Hunter asked.
“Perhaps.” Sydney responded, flashing a smile that left no doubt in Hunter’s mind as to her real answer.
“Well met. I hope the both of you enjoy my modest library,” Hunter said as he turned back to the man that he had been speaking to.
Steiner led the way to the library, giving Sydney a mini-tour on the way.
“What’s that door lead to?” Sydney asked as they reached the library doors, motioning to a door farther down the hallway.
“That’s Sean’s office,” He said happily as he entered the library. He never got to see Sydney’s reaction to the ‘modest’ two floor library, since he was knocked unconscious by a well placed blow. In seconds, she was in front of the room that Steiner named Hunter’s office. The door had a regular push button lock on it, which Sydney easily opened. Everything was going along smoothly, she realized. Then she saw him.
Sark stood at the desk and was removing a disk from Hunter’s laptop. He slowly looked up and smirked. “I’m afraid that you are too late, Sydney. I’ve just erased all of Hunter’s data files,” He said as he put the disk in the inside pocket of his jacket. Sydney glared at Sark, and started to pull for her gun when she noticed a blinking light behind Sark.
In that instant, the door flew open, revealing three armed and very dangerous looking guards. They fired at Sydney and Sark, who decided that it was best to put their differences aside and fired back at the guards, who took shelter outside the doorway. Sydney took that opportunity to open the window and climb down the wall, with Sark following closely behind.
A guard poked his head out the window and was met with a well placed bullet from Sark’s silenced gun. Sydney stepped down onto the ground in time to see a large group of guards with large guns spot her. They fired at her as she ran off toward the gate, Sark close behind.
Seeing a group of armed guards at the gate, Sydney turned and ran to the wall, looking at it desperately. Sark appeared next to her and kneeled, cupping his hands.
“If we get out, we need to do it together,” He stated. Nodding, Sydney placed her foot in his hands and he lifted her up, allowing her to grab onto the top of the wall. She pulled herself up and, on her stomach, reached down to grabs Sark’s hands.
She saw the guards closing in, as she pulled Sark up and over the wall. They jumped down and ran off towards the forest that surrounded the home. One hundred feet from the line of trees, Sydney fell. Sark turned and noticed the blood seeping from the wound in her back. He glanced back up and saw a guard not far off holding a rifle.
Sark was filled with rage at the sight of the man holding the rifle. He calmly lifted his handgun and shot the man straight through the heart before he could react. An eerie silence hung in the air as Sark retrieved the man’s rifle and moved away from Sydney as he redirected the guards’ attention.
Leading them into the forest, they split up. Sark picked them off, one by one, using only one well-placed shot on each guard. Once he ran out of ammo, he simply retrieved the guns of the guards and continued killing them off.
It wasn’t long before the guards were all dead and Sark was back at Sydney’s side. He checked her pulse, discovering that she was still alive despite the blood loss. Attempting to staunch the blood flow, he saw Sydney open her eyes.
Those beautiful brown eyes watched Sark stop the bleeding. Those same eyes filled with tears as she uttered a single, barely audible word.
“Why?”
Sark’s cold blue eyes scanned her face for a moment, then softened slightly. “Because… I love you.”
Sydney closed her eyes and relaxed. It didn’t take long for Sark to realize that she had taken her last breath. He closed his eyes, and pulled Sydney’s body close to him. He had been too late.
Sark kneeled on the ground, with Sydney’s body next to him until he heard shouts nearby. Slowly, he stood and faced the direction of the shouts. CIA Agent Michael Vaughn came crashing through the bushed moments later. He saw Sydney’s body, then turned to Sark, hate in his eyes.
“You bastard,” He growled as he reached for his gun. Vaughn had scarcely moved an inch when a gun fired, and he slumped to the ground, blood seeping from the wound in his wrinkled forehead.
“I didn’t kill her,” Sark said to the air, lowering his gun as he turned and gently placed the disk that had cost so much into the hands of the woman he never should have loved.

Back