Sci-Fi Doctor Who (2005-2021) [NuWho]

The BBC have unveiled the eleventh incarnation of the Doctor Who logo!

newDWlogo.jpg

This catchy logo (featuring the Tardis with Doctor Who's initials making up the walls) will end up all over schoolkids bags, lunchboxes and pencil cases very soon! A very mature and distinctive logo that seems to be acceptable to everyone across all walks of life.

doctorwho.jpg

Well WoM was finally broadcast his week-end. A quick overview for those who don't know anything about it. The Doctor lands on Mars, where he finds out that he's arrived on the day when the first mars colony base is mysteriously destroyed. There were no survivors to tell the tale of what happened. This is a fixed point in time where he CANNOT make ANY changes to the timeline.

I must admit that I found the basic story a rather run-of-the-mill generic monster of the week story.

But then came the last ten minutes of the show and totally saved it! The ending sets up the final two specials airing on Christmas and new years eve respectively.

And I cannot wait for for the end of December now.

New episodes are airing? (Or at least new to North America?)

I'm not sure when they will air here, The quickest re-airs are through BBC America followed by syfy.

I myself flew over to England to catch the premier, just like I'm gonna for the last two specials. :cool:

With all of that gradient coloring in there, I would doubt it. Would just end up being a slanted "D" & "W" next to each other.

It depends on whether or not they print the lens flares or not. The last logo looked horrid because they printed the whole thing lens flares and all. In black and white it looked horrendous.

Besides lens flares are so played out. Any graphics guy will tell you that.

This show got too much popularity due to its unique concept. Doctor who is related to Sci-fi drama. I got a good knowledge of science from Doctor Who TV Show.

... So, in less than a year i've become a huge Doctor Who fan, I watched the whole new Series (from 1 to 4) including Christmas specials. I still haven't seen any specials from 2009 but it won't take long for me to do it. Also, I know many people really like Rose but I must admit that my alltime favorite will always be Martha Jones. And I hate Daleks and the Cybermen scare the hell out of me :rolleyes:

Have a good day. :grinning:

P.S. IMHO Christmas special with Kylie Minogue was the best Xmas special ever!

Dr Who is awesome...been a fan of it since the Ecclestone ones, he was very good. IMO David Tennant is slightly better, shame he's stepping down, dont know much about the next Doctor, someone called Matt Smith (?).

Looking forward to the double header over Xmas and new year, as The Master is back, fantastic bad guy and John Simm is a brilliant actor, very underrated. Be sad to see Tennant depart, as a fellow Scotsman he's done a superb job as The Doctor. Matt Smith has big shoes to fill.

Like the look of his new sidekick Amy Pond, played by a young Scottish actress called Karen Gillian...good actress and quite the cutie 👅

Hey everyone! I work with BBC America and wanted to make sure you all the latest information on the all new season of Doctor Who. We just released this interview with Matt Smith and lead writer Steven Moffat this morning with great new details on the TARDIS:

DOCTOR WHO: The TARDIS

Mark your calendars now for Satuday, April 17 at 9/8c. Hope you enjoy it! We'd love to hear your thoughts.

Megann,

Thanks for the notice! :cool: I've got my DVR all set to record the new Who series when it starts on the 17th.

Just got done re-watching of the last Tennant episodes and, while he'll be missed as the Doctor, it'll be fun watching what direction a new actor takes the character.

4488403355_aae213ab2f_o.jpg

I've stayed away from as many spoilers as possible for this episode, as I totally wanted to come into it fresh. I was worried, I mean RTD, managed to bring back the Doctor and update him yet keep him pretty much that same, Could Moffat pull it off? or would this new beginning also be the beginning of the end? I waited eagerly for Easter Sunday to arrive so that I could watch it.

Only to discover it was broadcast on Saturday.

Doh!

So I finally manage to watch the episode and what did I think?

Absolutely note perfect.

I think the new Theme song is going to take some getting used to, but I didn't outright hate it. And the new intro is is at the same time different enough and yet still the same.

And I will admit to being a little disappointed with the new console room, I was hoping that they would have been just a little bit more outrageous with it. But basically, except for being a bit larger, it's still basically the same.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, The thing that struck me most about this episode is how right they got the sense of whimsy, which to me is critical to new nuwho (although going by doctors that would be new, new, new new, new...nevermind)

RTD's Doctors were always a melancholy sort. Always looking away with a tear in their eye. But this doctor is bright and fresh and surprisingly happy.

Matt Smith IS the Doctor. he just radiated that sense of authority and trust that would make a complete stranger do whatever weird or dangerous thing he asked of you because you trusted him.

And Karen Gillian as a distrustful but strong young lady makes perfect sense as a companion.

Plus I like that fact that right off the bat, Moffat completely embraces the shows past. I can understand RTD's reluctance to lean on what came before when trying to bring back the series, but I think most people are ready now to check out the back catalog. (if they haven't already done so.)

And I'm glad to see Moffat is continuing with the season arc.

And finally, no (so far,) hanky panky.

All in all, I can't wait for the next episode.

With the console room they are definitely going for that 'steampunk' look & feel. What I thought was interesting was that in the last episode it seems that other devices in the TARDIS, such as the device to identify a creature by its image, took on the appearance of the new console as well. That got me thinking as to whether it was just writers liberty with the story line or if it ties back into the TARDIS being a sentient being and that everything contained within becomes part of the being.

(Yeah, yeah, I was a major DW fan as a kid and never really grew out of it.
GiveUp_zpsff96f5c8.gif
)

:dalek:BBC One has released a new promo for the upcoming season of Doctor Who. The upcoming season has the Doctor coming to the 'wild west' of the United States and, from the promo, will finally reveal the mystery as to who River Song is.

River Song is the mysterious woman who keeps popping into the Doctor's life and has given some mysterious hints as to who she really is. In addition to knowing a lot of personal details about the Doctor she also knows how to pilot the TARDIS. The hints to date point at her being a romantic interest of the Doctor, possibly even his wife! If she his wife, then things will get really interesting since in one of her prior appearances she states that she has killed the Doctor. :eek:

Note that even though the upcoming season is referenced as "Season 6" it is really just the 6th season since the show has been relaunched. The good Doctor has been a sci-fi fan favorite going all the way back to 1963!

Looks like some interesting stuff is coming this season. From the Cool Sci-Fi Twitter updates...
Current issue of Doctor Who magazine says one of the main 4 characters (Amy, Rory, River, & The Doctor) will die in the season opener.
:eek: My guess is that it'll be River Song. The Doctor has died before and comes back. Rory is already dead (remember, the current "Rory" is not *the* "Rory" ;)) and Amy has died once already and been resurrected. Rory & Amy are both regular cast members while River Song is a guest character with a background that suggests she has been involved in some shady dangerous dealings.