Feedback New forum/gallery for photography?

New forum/gallery for photography?

• :cool: Yes, seeing & contributing original photos sounds like it might be fun!

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • :( No, if it isn't sci-fi or fantasy it doesn't belong here.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • :confused: Maybe, but I really don't have an opinion.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
As I shop around to replace my trusty, but old, digital camera I realized that Creative Imaginations could just as well encompass original photography.

Now while original photography wouldn't necessarily be related to the sci-fi/fantasy genres, unless, of course, you happen to get a picture of Big Foot, Nessie, or a UFO, but there still plenty of amatuer photographer's out there who might want to show off some of their shots.

So what do you think: Should Creative Imaginations be expanded upon to include original photography?

i voted yes as it expands the communities collective interests bringing more people together.

but are we going to see hosting of images on the server this site is on or restricting people to
type hotlinking to services such as photobucket or imageshack? this will reflect on server bandwidth usage and possible abuse of hotlinking to the site for galleries used for spam purposes

good idea but could the flood gates be opened for holiday snaps and odd-looking vegetables? good point about spammers -they never miss an opportunity - could the moderator end up deluged? Sorry to appear negative but the abusers of 'netiquette' seem to be on the increase.

Mr. D, Hayden: Good points both. :smiley:

Some quick thoughts...

- Hotlinking would not be allowed meaning that somebody couldn't upload an image to Cool SciFi and then post the image using "IMG" tags on another forum. Instead they'd be encouraged to post the link to view the image within the Cool SciFi Gallery. Preventing hotlinking is something I can handle from the server and block it automatically.

- Holiday pics & vegetables that look like presidents..... could be interesting. :P On one hand I could envision abuse but if we prevent hotlinking then that should stop that crowd for the most part. What I can picture is somebody within the Cool SciFi community showing off their newest toy (eg: got a new car or a new collectible item they picked up or wanting to share some pics from their latest holiday/vacation) to share with the rest of the community. Because hotlinking would be turned off they wouldn't be able to link directly to it from another site so if they end up sharing the link then the benefit would be more visitors to Cool SciFi.

- If we go ahead with this idea I'm not sure the best way of organizing it... meaning that people should go ahead and use the existing Creative Imaginations category in the gallery or create a new category but, like Creative Imaginations, it'd be automatically grouped by each member's name.

- Drive space & bandwidth.... since hotlinking would be prevented I'm not worried about either. Cool SciFi is one a dedicated server with only a few other low-traffic sites so we'd be cool.

(Oh, the new toy to replace my old gear is a Canon Powershot S2 IS. There are a few things from my old Canon G1 that I miss but the S2 is an incredibly fun toy to play with. :D )

Back