New Ilvari Model

Makkah

Cadet
HJSSHOT-129.JPG

So in the new batch of screenshots, they said they are showing off the new Ilvari model. The body looks pretty good, but does the face just look off to anyone else? Super plastic-y and an odd shade. I dunno.

(On second glance, the arms look kinda oddly long to me too :-x)

I believe I can speak freely about this, since it was directly released and mentioned, so here are my thoughts. *grins*

There is of course a range of facial features and morphing that can be chosen from, but I do somewhat agree that the face seems mildly unnatural. This isn't a bad thing, per se. The Ilvari are, according to HH info, a non-native race from another world entirely. So often we find "elf" style characters portrayed as stereotypically symmetrical and "beautiful" in many ways. I have no clue if it was intended, but I feel the model's mildly surreal look, just a smidge too close to perfect to make you wholly believe it's real, might be a great way to differentiate the race by emphasizing the very qualities we associate with "elves" to the point where they start slipping into a strange area beyond our comfort zone.

Of course, you'd have to ask the art team for actual reasoning on such matters, but for myself, there's definately something about the model worthy of further discussion, and I find it to be subtle and not entirely easy to pin down to one or two factors alone.

~Dune~

The Ilvari actually have an differently shaped face, that one was probably changed to look like that purposely though.

That's about how long human arms are in reality, so I don't see the strange length...

I've yet to come across a game that has 3-d face models that don't look at least somewhat like plastic. This is one thing that has always annoyed me. Back when Everquest switched to having 3-d faces for their updated character models, I stuck with the old 2-d painted on models because, frankly, they looked a heck of a lot more realistic.

To me, her Face is a little off because her Eyes and Mouth are quite small, especially for her rather round Face.
Rescaling her Features alleviated my initial Aversion...

Well that builds upon what Dianne said, and what several of the videos on HH show about character customization. You can really get very diverse faces by morphing lots of different features. It sure as heck ain't WoW with "pick one of five faces" and such. *grins*

~Dune~

Well that builds upon what Dianne said, and what several of the videos on HH show about character customization. You can really get very diverse faces by morphing lots of different features. It sure as heck ain't WoW with "pick one of five faces" and such. *grins*

~Dune~

yup, they had a LOT of things you could do with the faces. It was really impressive. It was closer to what Vanguard had for character creation.

Well some humans also have the round face/small mouth thing, not too dissimilar from this Ilvari. I've seen it in a couple of people I've known.

There is, IMHO, a negative to giving players face and body sliders with a wide range of motion. That is that a lot of people don't have the eye for creating a pleasing build, or the patience. There were a lot of anorexic characters with odd faces in Second Life for example.

Well, from what I understand, there will be some pre-made models and random options for people that don't care how they look.

OOOH... Idea!
A way to use a photo of a face to create the face on the game... That facial recognition software just measures the distance between the eyes, and size of the mouth etc... You could make somebody that looks like anybody you choose, from cartoon to real life pictures.

Val, isn't there some law or rule or somesuch about use of peoples' likenesses? I could be completely mistaken but I think that your idea would violate something or other.

whuddi look like? a lawyer?

Fine... they can just come out with a character creator import option, then somebody will code a nifty picture scanner along with it.

Valendros said:
OOOH... Idea!
A way to use a photo of a face to create the face on the game... You could make somebody that looks like anybody you choose, from cartoon to real life pictures.

Oh please not ! We'd be running into Moviestars and Models all the Time - and then the GMs wouldn't just have to whack People that were named like "Jack Sparrow", but also People that looked like "Jack Sparrow".

If anything like that there should just be a few presets of various types ( about 10 per each race and gender combination ) that people who are no good at making their own can pick one and modify it from there.

If anything like that there should just be a few presets of various types ( about 10 per each race and gender combination ) that people who are no good at making their own can pick one and modify it from there.
This is assuming that people who are not good at making their own actually realize that they're no good at making their own. Not as common as you'd think, unfortunately. >_>

Yes, I know I'm too picky if I worry about the facial structure of my fellow players' characters, but I'm an artist, I can't help it! :|

Common problem people with female models seem to give themselves: Small mouths and huge eyes.

Pinn, how do I make a nice looking character like most of your face morphs? Well, class, it's simple! Until you know the creator inside and out, try to deviate as little as possible from middle territory on any slider. This lessens stretching, weirdness, and makes it easier to fix mistakes!

Really, has worked for every game with a face morpher ever for me. Now, if you want them to look a little strange then you should deviate, but if not? Try to adjust by little tiny bits.

Pinn, how do I make a nice looking character like most of your face morphs? Well, class, it's simple! Until you know the creator inside and out, try to deviate as little as possible from middle territory on any slider.

Amen!

Pinn you are 100% correct on this. I love to play around with sliders and features. I spent about an hour working on each of my Oblivion characters and would take them outside the sewer into the light over and over to make sure they looked like I wanted in all lighting conditions. If you don't know what you are doing, stick to the middle-ground and things usually turn out fine. If you do know what you are doing, the whole slider is your playground.

Back