New Penalties for Drivers in the UK

Azhria Lilu

Captain
Lots of new penalties are being brought into effect today for drivers in the UK.

We have:-

Lane hogging and tailgating fines of £100 and 3 points on your licence, with more serious instances going to court.
Various fines, for which drivers do not have their licence endorsed, rise from £30 to £50. These include such offences as not having an easily-seen car tax disc and failing to give way at a junction.
Using a mobile phone at the wheel, and some speeding offences, rise from £60 to £100. These offences lead to an endorsement on the licence.
Failure to wear a seatbelt also goes up from £60 to £100.
Driving-without-insurance fine rises from £200 to £300

The police will also be able to offer educational training as an alternative to endorsement. Drivers will still be able to appeal against any decision in court.

Apparently these changes will give the police greater flexibility in dealing with less serious careless driving offences, freeing them from resource-intensive court processes.

Road Safety Minister Stephen Hammond said: "Careless driving puts innocent people's lives at risk. That is why we have made it easier for the police to tackle problem drivers by allowing them to immediately issue a fixed-penalty notice for low-level offending rather than taking these offenders to court.

"We have also increased penalties for a range of driving offences to a level which reflects their seriousness and which will ensure that they are consistent with other similar penalty offences."

Do you think these changes will make any difference at all to careless driving? I find it unlikely, to be honest. If people drove like this prior to these changes (when they could still get fined), I don't think changing the fines will stop them doing it now.

#dangerousdriving #fines

I still don't understand why they ticket for not wearing a seat belt. If someone chooses to be an idiot and not buckle up I don't see why it should be punished, it's just a way for the Government to get you out of more cash. It's kinda like speed traps where they knowingly lower the speed limit without proper signage then pull over anyone that rolls through the area at 2mph above the (non-posted) limit.

Its just like wearing a helmet on a motorcycle or bicycle, it should be the person's choice not the law's. However, a child, I can agree with enforcing but an adult can make their own decisions. I have friends that refuse to wear seat belts and when they get pulled over for it, they tell the cops that they might as well write the ticket because they will not wear the seat belt. LOL.

Personally, I am a firm believer in wearing a seat belt as well as a helmet on my bicycle :smiley:

Oh I am too, always wear my helmet it saved my life more than a few times.

I had a friend that never wore his seat belt and he ended up going through his windshield and dying on impact. He hit a telephone pole running about 50mph. He was a big guy and the belt bothered him so he never wore it.

Back