Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

New Perspectives on Lightning above Clouds

Discussion in 'Tech, Science, and Space' started by Robby, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Robby

Robby The Robot

New NASA observations reveal lightning has startling effects on regions of space near Earth, from flashes of energy normally seen in titanic cosmic explosions to taming fierce radiation belts.

[Full article @ NASA Breaking News]

2. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

3. Tim

Tim Creative Writer

i watched a documentary on some very wierd lightning strikes, seeming to come from space, and some aiming out into space, or something confusing.

what it boiled down to was increased danger for anything attempting to reach orbit getting struck by that particular lighting which would almost vaporise anything it hit, being stronger than the standard lightning we see hitting the ground.

the sheer luck the photographer had that set it all off was amazing, then i think it was university students and equipment that recorded the first almost usable footage of the phenomenon. the documentary followed the nasa guys journey to find the answers, after he had personally witnessed the phenomenon but couldn't prove it.

4. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

I think I saw that too! Pretty interesting. Ever seen the one about Ball Lightning?

5. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

6. Tim

Tim Creative Writer

no, but there was a kelly mcgillis film called Night of The Twisters or something like that with an interesting ball lighting scene :)

one of my friends claims to have seen a UFO but i reckon it was just ball lighting moving around

7. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

To clarify the UFO (Unidentified Flying Object) issue.
    If the observer cannot IDENTIFY the object it IS a UFO