Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

New Sci-Fi Author

Discussion in 'Books' started by Pragmatist, Feb 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Pragmatist

    Pragmatist Ensign

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2012
    Location:
    Perth Australia
    Hello,

    I have just written my first Sci-Fi novel. Some of the advice I've seen on the net is post some information about the book on sites like this one, so here goes...

    I have had an interest in UFO's and the possibilty of alien visitation for some time. I've read quite a lot about it and have done some field and other research. I see and hear the same stories and the same questions over and over again, are we really being visited by aliens? If so why? And why doesn't anyone have any physical evidence or good pictures of them?

    I believe 99% of what you read about this stuff is absolute twaddle. That said, I do believe there's something to it, the remaining 1% is extremely interesting.

    I have given my opinon (for what its worth) on the above questions and a few other popular conspiracy theories wrapped up in an adventure story.

    It's called 'A Strange Encounter' and is set in the UK in 1991. It's a bit like 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' but has more military action and some humour. (I think anyway)

    So far it's got a couple of good reviews on Amazon.com and Amazon UK. If you do give it a go I hope you enjoy it.

    As I'm very new to this sort of thing I hope this is the sort of information you expect to see here.

    I'm sure you'll let me know quick enough if it isnt, or you think I've added to the twaddle.

    Cheers,

    Steve Fellick
     
  2. Pragmatist

    Pragmatist Ensign

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2012
    Location:
    Perth Australia
    It's me again (Pragmatist) I can't see how I edit my 'New SciFi Author' post so I'll put the changes here.

    I saw the heading 'Alien Soup' and thought I should have mentioned that as my novel does have a lot of the stuff that's mentioned under that heading in it.

    I didn't want to use standard alien plot number 2, the aliens are hostile and come to earth to kill us all. The aliens then of course have to be stupid enough to engineer into their invasion fleet a single point of failure so that a rag tag band of gutsy individuals can thwart their plans. And are often kind enough to install that single point of failure on the planet they're invading, just for the convenience of the rag tag band of gutsy individuals. Same old same old.

    I did something a bit different, good different or bad different is of course up to anyone that gives it a go. This is not a space epic, no evil galactic empire or space pirates so if that's your thing this won't be for you. If you have an interest in conspiracy theories you may enjoy it. What I've done is write a story about a couple of UFO's that are detected over the UK by a military early warning radar station and tell the story of what I think would really happen then. It has some military action and some humour (Ihope).
     
  3. Pragmatist

    Pragmatist Ensign

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2012
    Location:
    Perth Australia
    Novel: A Strange Encounter.

    I finally managed to upload the front cover of my novel. It's a bit like 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind', and is set in the UK in 1991. It's an action adventure story with a bit of humour thrown in (I hope).

    I think it might be quite close to what might really happen if a couple of UFOs turned up over the UK and were then identified by the military as being the real thing, real alien spacecraft.

    The back cover 'Blurb'.

    November 1991. One of the biggest UFO 'flaps' in recorded history was about to occur in the skies over Northern Europe.

    To the casual observer it was just another cold dark miserable night in the north east of England.

    At Sentinel CC, a secret military early warning radar surveillance station located on the Yorkshire moors, far from prying eyes, the 12 hour night shift, 6pm to 6am had started two and a half hours ago, and as usual, was as boring as watching geological change.

    Everyone hated the night shift, nothing ever happened, ever, then suddenly at 20:37 Zulu a loud 'two tone' alarm sounded...
     

    Attached Files:

  4. Sr2665

    Sr2665 Cadet

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2012
    Location:
    Rocky river
    Where can I find your book?
     

Share This Page