Sci-Fi New science fiction films happening???

think I mentioned 'UFO' on another thread

UFO Trailer: Gillian Anderson and Mysterious Sightings

***While the story of UFO centers on a duo of college students – played by Alex Sharp and Ella Purnell – who become ensnared in the mystery of some UFO sightings, the film also touts a co-star who’s well-acquainted with the titular topic in The X-Files star Gillian Anderson.***

new Godzilla movie out next year
Godzilla: King of the Monsters Trailer Released

we'll see Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidrah, among others.

most 'sci fi' these days involves superheroes etc.

I've liked quite a few newer science fiction films.
Netflix has been putting out some pretty good ones from a watchability point of view.
Here's a few assorted title for you to look into...

Time Trap (2017)
Ready Player One (2018)
Rampage (2018)
A Quiet Place (2018)
Tau (2018)
Godzilla Monster Planet Parts 1 & 2 Anime
Astro (2018)
2036 Origin Unknown (2018)
Alien Code (2018)
Black Hollow Cage (2017)
Altered Perception (2018)
Anon (2018)
Genesis (2018) (I didn't like it but you might)
Alpha Gateway (2018)
The Titan (2018)
Curvature (2017)
Annihilation (2018)
Altered Hours (2018)
Scorched Earth (2018)
Cloverfield 3: The Cloverfield Paradox (2018)
Downsizing (2017)
The Beyond (2018)
Altitude (2017)
Atomica (2017)
I-Boy (2017)
The Discovery (2017)
The Space Between Us (2017)
Colossal (2017)
Life (2017)
Stasis (2017)
Xibalba: Curse of the Myans (2017)
Origin Wars: Osiris Child (2017)
Revolt (2017)
The Circle (2017)
The Gracefield Incident (2017)
The Recall (2017)
Rememory (2017)
The Summerland Project: Amelia 2.0 (2017)
What Happened To Monday (2017)
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017)

Plus there is a few that I have yet to see on my towatch list (just need time to watch them)

5th Passenger (2018)
7 Splinters In Time (2018)
Alien Siege (2018)
Broken Darkness (2018)
Extinction (2018)
Hover (2018)
Stone Seeker (2018)
The Last Man (2018)

Last night I watched some of a bad copy of
Upgrade (2018)
Of what I saw it looked pretty good.

So far tonight I've checked out:
5th Passenger (2018) ~ Meh, shut it off after 20 minutes
7 Splinters In Time (2018) ~ nah, killed it in 10 minutes
Alien Siege (2018) ~ a syfy original Asylum type film, blah but I did let it play thru.
Broken Darkness (2018) ~ was more interested in respecting the cookie so nope, killed it in 20 minutes

So far tonight I've checked out:
5th Passenger (2018) ~ Meh, shut it off after 20 minutes
7 Splinters In Time (2018) ~ nah, killed it in 10 minutes
Alien Siege (2018) ~ a syfy original Asylum type film, blah but I did let it play thru.
Broken Darkness (2018) ~ was more interested in respecting the cookie so nope, killed it in 20 minutes
You're a tough customer lol

I'm currently watching Extinction (2018)
Had to pause it to come here and comment.
Its a very well-made scifi alien invasion flick from Netflix, well done Netflix!
It has Michael Pena in it and is very well-made.
I'm currently 34 minutes into it and already have it targeted for my rewatch folder so I can study it better.
It flat out blows everything else I saw tonight away.
Okay, back to the movie...

Okay, the movie was progressing fine.
Concepts that were really intriguing until the flashback sequence.
At that point, it ruined the film for me.
At 1:05:00 the flashback sequence started and it got really stupid.
Lemme splain:
Up until that point, the destruction was coming from an alien source.
When the alien was revealed, it suggested that things were not as it seemed.
When the alien helped save the wife, it revealed something strange.
Does an sufficiently advanced AI know that it is an AI?
When the flashback sequence initiated it ruined the idea that the victims were victims.
As it progressed it ruined the idea of an AI knowing it was an AI.
I'm currently still in the flashback sequence but, it has already ruined my impression of where the story was going.
It was like the writers thought that the audience needed everything played out in order for them to understand the concept and it ruins the film, story.
No matter how they end the film, its ruined.
This makes me sad because I imagined it going to something wonderful from a science fiction point of view.
Its now off my rewatch list.

Okay, I finished the film, what a let down!
Everything that happens after the flashback sequence has abosolutly no impact on the story as I expected it from the start. What a letdown.
This is an example of lazy writing and I'm surprised that Netflix even backed this film because most netflix scifi films are brilliant.
If they had saved the flashback sequence till the end it might have been good.
If they had ommitted the flashback sequence completely, it would have been good.
As it sets, I had no connection with the plight of the survivors.
I didn't care if they lived, they should have been extinct.
There is absolutely no redeeming quality that causes me to feel anything for them at all.
I side with human life in this scenario.
I can't stress enough just how much the flashback sequence ruined the film, but, it was well made and a proper watchable film.
Good quality filmmaking - pisspoor writing.
Science fiction is better than this

Okay, I'm now starting Hover (2018)
Its a syfy films production.
Unlike the common Asylum films usually associated with Syfy, thi starts out like its a fairly well-made film.
I'm intrigued?
I'm currently 7 minutes in and so far, the acting, the scenes and the premise are on par with netflix?
I'm now curious if syfy has raised the bar a bit on their quality?
I'm wondering just how this film is going to play out?

Okay, I'm halfway thru Hover (2018).
As compared to other syfy original films, its a masterpiece.
As a Science fiction film on its own, it has much to be desired

I'm more than half way thru the film and I really don't care about anything.
I'm wondering about the concept of the drones and how they relate to the story being told.
The acting is far superior to what I have come to expect from syfy.
The pretense is well acted with good execution but something seems to be missing.

Does syfy have something here worth working with? Yes.
Is this film an example of what could be, perhaps.
I'm highly distracted while watching this, that is not a good thing in my book.
What makes this stand out against the normal syfy fare is the quality of the production,
Its like they are saying, here, this is what we are capable of.
I just personally need a bit more to the story and execution than what is depicted.

While it is certainly better than The Asylum films it is far inferior to how great science fiction is supposed to be.
If syfy continues to push the bar, with better material, it could rival Netflix.

What's this film about, oh yeah, drones.

think I mentioned 'UFO' on another thread

UFO Trailer: Gillian Anderson and Mysterious Sightings

***While the story of UFO centers on a duo of college students – played by Alex Sharp and Ella Purnell – who become ensnared in the mystery of some UFO sightings, the film also touts a co-star who’s well-acquainted with the titular topic in The X-Files star Gillian Anderson.***

new Godzilla movie out next year
Godzilla: King of the Monsters Trailer Released

we'll see Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidrah, among others.

most 'sci fi' these days involves superheroes etc.
Ufo was a good series, but it ended too soon like space 1999, if Mr. Anderson had adequate funding, im pretty sure the series would have continued, and gotten more fans.....

You know I really liked Ready Player One despite what a lot of people have said...

I think I would have liked Ready Player One if I hadn't of read the book already. It was well-made and fun, but too many significant changes in there for my liking. I felt the same way about Ender's Game, but to an even larger degree.

I think I would have liked Ready Player One if I hadn't of read the book already. It was well-made and fun, but too many significant changes in there for my liking. I felt the same way about Ender's Game, but to an even larger degree.
Same here. Loved both books. Ender's Game film was blahhhhhhhhhh. At least Ready Player One the film felt like it had a point to it.

I think my biggest issue with both films, is that it didn't portray how brilliant the protagonists were.

SPOILERS!

In Wade Watts' case, in the movie when he find the first key, it comes because he very quickly and easily finds one clue, then acts on it and that was it. In the book he has to go through a LOT more to just get to where the key was, then he had to make it through the dungeon, and beat the final guy in Joust. It took a lot of knowledge and skills that he had spent years accumulating. All of that is lost in the movie.

It's even more egregious in Ender's Game. Ender is a tactical genius, a prodigy that only comes along once in generations. In the book he goes through so much, beaten down again and again (on purpose) by the administration as they stack the deck against him in the Battle Room, and he finds ways out of every situation. In the movie, IIRC, the whole thing was condensed down to a number of days/weeks, and once again had to do with one or two clever ideas that helped him to just make it through. The absolute brilliance of the kid is completely lost.

Another huge issue I had was the portrayal of the twist ending. When
he destroys the alien planet at the end
happens, he turns around and the adults observing in the back are quiet and stoic, and he gets angry and throws a fit. In the book, the adults are literally falling on the floor and crying with relief and disbelief, and Ender is just tired and numb, and confused at first. That moment really hit me hard, when I first read the book and realized what happened, and it's appropriate behavior really. The entire human race was saved against all odds, why would they NOT show emotion, like it portrays in the movie?

I have many other issues tbh, but those were the worst and I'll stop there lol.

I think my biggest issue with both films, is that it didn't portray how brilliant the protagonists were.

SPOILERS!

In Wade Watts' case, in the movie when he find the first key, it comes because he very quickly and easily finds one clue, then acts on it and that was it. In the book he has to go through a LOT more to just get to where the key was, then he had to make it through the dungeon, and beat the final guy in Joust. It took a lot of knowledge and skills that he had spent years accumulating. All of that is lost in the movie.

It's even more egregious in Ender's Game. Ender is a tactical genius, a prodigy that only comes along once in generations. In the book he goes through so much, beaten down again and again (on purpose) by the administration as they stack the deck against him in the Battle Room, and he finds ways out of every situation. In the movie, IIRC, the whole thing was condensed down to a number of days/weeks, and once again had to do with one or two clever ideas that helped him to just make it through. The absolute brilliance of the kid is completely lost.

Another huge issue I had was the portrayal of the twist ending. When
he destroys the alien planet at the end
happens, he turns around and the adults observing in the back are quiet and stoic, and he gets angry and throws a fit. In the book, the adults are literally falling on the floor and crying with relief and disbelief, and Ender is just tired and numb, and confused at first. That moment really hit me hard, when I first read the book and realized what happened, and it's appropriate behavior really. The entire human race was saved against all odds, why would they NOT show emotion, like it portrays in the movie?

I have many other issues tbh, but those were the worst and I'll stop there lol.
haha yes i feel you on that for sure -- when a book is an epic, i feel like you just shouldn't touch it

Back