New 'War of the Worlds' coming...

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
I've always been a big fan of War of the Worlds, both the classic Wells radio broadcast and the movie. In my view the movie captures perfectly the feel of America at the time and the fears that it's citizens had. It's one of those movies that didn't need a sequel or ever to be remade, it's stood alone on it's own merits.

Well, it looks like Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise disagree with me. :eek:

From Fox News:
'The War of the Worlds' to Star Tom CruiseTuesday, August 17, 2004
service_ap_36.gif
LOS ANGELES — In another departure for Hollywood hunk Tom Cruise, the blue-eyed actor will try his hand at a sci-fi role when he stars in "The War of the Worlds."

"The War of the Worlds," the classic H.G. Wells science fiction novel that begins with those foreboding words of alien observation, will be updated by director Steven Spielberg, with Cruise as the leading man, Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks announced Monday.

Shooting will begin in November.

Cruise is currently starring as the dark, creepy villain in "Collateral", which hit theaters earlier this month.

The Wells' novel opens with foreboding words of alien observation: "No one would have believed ... that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligence greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own."

The 1898 novel has been adapted in a 1953 film, a TV series and as an infamous 1938 radio broadcast by Orson Welles that convinced thousands of listeners that aliens had indeed invaded.

Meanwhile, production for the third "Mission: Impossible" film, already in preparation in Berlin, is now set to begin shooting next summer.
For some reason I suspect this will end badly. I'm thinking it'll be "Independence Day meets Minority Report" with some Close Encounters thrown in. :banghead:

Back