New Wednesday Timeslot for Alias

Alias News

Official News Poster
Per zap2it:

ABC Teams 'Alias' with 'Lost' for Midseason
(Tuesday, November 16 02:02 PM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) "Desperate Housewives" has become a runaway hit for ABC this season in the Sunday timeslot formerly occupied by "Alias." That's created a bit of a dilemma -- albeit one any network would like to have -- when it came to finding a new home for the spy series.

ABC will solve that problem by pairing "Alias" with its other freshman smash, "Lost," on Wednesday nights beginning Jan. 5. Both shows are executive produced by J.J. Abrams, and ABC Entertainment president Stephen McPherson is hoping that link will help "Alias" break beyond its cult-show status in the ratings.

"When we made the strategic decision this fall on 'Alias,' we only hoped to be in the situation we find ourselves in today," McPherson says. "'Lost' provides a terrific platform for 'Alias'' new season. Not only do both shows have similar audience profiles ... but they also share J.J.'s unique sensibility. This is a great two-hour block of programming."

"Alias" will open its fourth season with a two-hour premiere at 9 p.m. ET Wednesday, Jan. 5. ABC is sticking to its plan to air the show without repeats through the rest of the season, which would put its season finale near the end of May sweeps.

. . . [more about ABC programming, see the full zap2it article]

This is like a win/lose situation. I loved Sundays because of Alias and on Wednesday luckily im not busy, but Sundays were awesome because of Alias. I really hope that this boosts its ratings cuz that would be really really good. Thank god we finally have a date for Alias though!!! TWO HOURS!!!! WOO HOOO!!!!

w00t!!!!!!!!!! :bounces: :groupwave:

lost + alias = wednesday night is the best night ever with 2 kick butt hrs of jj abrams TV!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Vaughnfan13 said it best when she said:
WTF?! :angry: NOOO! Dammit..

I think it's a great move. We all know how much of a ratings disaster Sunday night has been. And we also know that low ratings usually means cancellation. I think this move can only help the ratings which should help to keep the show around a little longer.

Ratings disaster? Well if sticking around for 4 seasons is a disaster I would love to have a show on Sunday nights to be disasterized. Did we not learn from last seasons cancelation of Angel. What night was that on? Ummmmm, I'm gonna go with Wednesday. Not only that but its sucicide to move to a new night as a midseason premiere. What the hell was JJ thinking.
It's lasted <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>3</span> seasons on Sunday why move it? Because some whiny bi*ches came along and took the spot. That's not very Syd like.

NO!! I like Alias on Sundays... it was always like "yay today's Sunday, new Alias eppy!" and my friend and I even made a song about it. LOL. Plus I have school and I might have homework on that night, and what if I don't finish it? I'd have to MISS Alias and I would NEVER do that. I've never missed any Alias eppies...

O well I guess the good thing is that it's after Lost. But still....

Sunday nights were more fun...

1. I'm not forced to watch 2 hours of TV.
2. I can concentrate on Alias and only Alias for one night.
3. Desperate Housewives is a Sex and the City rip-off.

sPyInThEdArK said:
Ratings disaster? Well if sticking around for 4 seasons is a disaster I would love to have a show on Sunday nights to be disasterized. Did we not learn from last seasons cancelation of Angel. What night was that on? Ummmmm, I'm gonna go with Wednesday. Not only that but its sucicide to move to a new night as a midseason premiere. What the hell was JJ thinking.
It's lasted <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>3</span> seasons on Sunday why move it? Because some whiny bi*ches came along and took the spot. That's not very Syd like.
[post="1069617"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
You sound as though you think that JJ Abrams is ABC's scheduler. He has nothing to do with those decisions, and I'd think that any executive who suggested moving ABC's #1 show would be summarily fired. Whatever you think of DH, it is ABC's #1 show. So, what? You expect Sydney to fight the housewives for the spot? It's the ratings that decide that and in that category it's an instant KO for DH.

WB's cancellation of Angel is widely regarded as a mistake. I'm not even sure why you're bringing it up because it was doing as well on Wednesdays as it was in any of its other slots (when we had Alias/Angel/X-Files colliding on Sundays, I dropped Angel, BTW). If they properly promote Alias, this could be an opportunity. I don't hear anybody screaming about 24's "suicide move" from Tuesday to Monday at midseason (perhaps they're doing it on their fan board). Now, if they moved Alias to Thursday at 9/8, or Friday/Saturday, I'd wonder if ABC "had it in" for them (it's not like NBC moving Boomtown to Friday at 10, tinkering with the format, and yanking it after 3 eps).

I'm going to stay positive on this. I can't believe how negative some people are being--and a great deal of it is either unrealistic or unrelated to the best interests of Alias (it's inconvenient for me).

I must also comment on what sPyInThEdArK said. Angel managed to go for five seasons with four different time slots. It was moved to Wednesday halfway through the four season and I only saw one ad advertising the move on tv. The reason the fans followed it is because the news was posted all over the internet.

You guys are so lucky, I have to wait to see S2 to next year but when nobody know. But I think it's good that you will have in the same day two JJ Abrams shows. ;)

I am really liking this move. I mean 2 hours of awesome tv....And i think people who watch lost would dig Alias if they watched it. So i'm excited.

I don't have that much time for tv on Wednesdays
This really sucks
And the only reason I liked Mondays was because I could talk with people about Alias from the night before
This sucks!!

verdantheart said:
You sound as though you think that JJ Abrams is ABC's scheduler. He has nothing to do with those decisions, and I'd think that any executive who suggested moving ABC's #1 show would be summarily fired. Whatever you think of DH, it is ABC's #1 show. So, what? You expect Sydney to fight the housewives for the spot? It's the ratings that decide that and in that category it's an instant KO for DH.

WB's cancellation of Angel is widely regarded as a mistake. I'm not even sure why you're bringing it up because it was doing as well on Wednesdays as it was in any of its other slots (when we had Alias/Angel/X-Files colliding on Sundays, I dropped Angel, BTW). If they properly promote Alias, this could be an opportunity. I don't hear anybody screaming about 24's "suicide move" from Tuesday to Monday at midseason (perhaps they're doing it on their fan board). Now, if they moved Alias to Thursday at 9/8, or Friday/Saturday, I'd wonder if ABC "had it in" for them (it's not like NBC moving Boomtown to Friday at 10, tinkering with the format, and yanking it after 3 eps).

I'm going to stay positive on this. I can't believe how negative some people are being--and a great deal of it is either unrealistic or unrelated to the best interests of Alias (it's inconvenient for me).
[post="1069740"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I am so glad that someone else has voiced EXACTLY how I feel about this move. People are being absolutely ridiculous in their venomous response to a simple scheduling change. I have even heard people on some boards say they will quit watching the show. Huh??? How does this make any sense?
For once, ABC is supplying ALIAS with a strong lead in and bolstering the possibilty of a HUGE increase in ratings...thus securing our beloved show for future seasons.
We should be thanking the network for a smart decision rather than bemoaning our inconvenience.

If you're a really hardcore fan, I would think you would fit your schedule around the show. I always did that with Buffy or Angel.

I think it's the best move ABC could have made. The next best move will be to promote the hell out of the show in the next two months! They also need to say in the promos that the creator of Lost also created Alias. Because even though we all know that... most likely a lot of people don't.

With the huge success of Desperate Housewives, we all knew that realistically they were going to have to move Alias. With it's new Wednesday night time slot... it's time for Alias to sink or swim, baby! I'm desperately praying that Alias swims right along with Lost to huge success.

Just think, it could be worse. Desperate Housewives could be an NBC or CBS show... and Alias could be competing against the biggest show of the year in it's same-old time slot.

All things considered, this could be the best thing that has ever happened to Alias. I just pray that ABC will support Alias with the same category of promos that they have given to Lost and Desperate Housewives. We'll see. I, for one, have lots and lots of faith! ;) You go, JJ!

I cannot believe all of the posts about the complaing for ABC moving nights. In case you didn't remember the season finale pulled in only 7.65 million viewers. Season 1 - 12 million, Season 2 - 10. Season 3 the ratings were so bad in the second half of the season that cancellation was something they were considering. Now since they had a syndicatoin deal that helped the matter.

The point is in the 3 seasons of Alias on Sundays it has generated nothing and each seasons ratings were dropping. Every season Alias has been BUILDING on its lead in. This and the fact it was strong in 18-49 demos has always kept the show around. But now that the show is in its 4th season it has the best lead-in it'll ever have.

I'm not saying that this will happen but imagine if Alias built off of its Lost Lead In?? Lets say in January Lost still pulls in 18million. Lets say there are 8 million hardcore Alias Fans - and lets say 5 million of them are watching lost. Which could mean 13 million new viewers. 13 + 8 = 21 million viewers. Alias could have the potential to become ABC's second highest rated show (next to Desperate Housewives)

With proper promotion - treating the show like as if it were brand new (the 2 hour season opener is suppose to be accessible to new viewers). Just imagine how crazy good the ratings may be!

Lost: 19M - 7M(18-49 demos)
Alias: 21M - 9M (18-49 demos)
Wife Swap: 15M - 6.5M (18-49 demos)

I'm not saying this will happen but this is a scenerio that may exist!
They would then average: 18.3M viewers & 7.5M viewers in 18 to 49 demos.

ABC could potentially be the highest rated network for the night even up against American Idol. Infact, Alias will have aired 3 original new episodes before American Idol begins! Which gives Alias a bit of a head start. We all already know how well Lost is doing with and without competition (baseball anyone?).

Look out guys! This is going to be a VERY interesting season. Start spreading the word about Alias!

Back