Newt Gingrich makes promise to build moonbase by 2020 to get votes

Tim

Creative Writer
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...t-and-ill-put-a-base-on-the-moon-says-newt.do

Lulz!

Seriously though, I talked to a NASA guy recently and asked about various plans I'd heard over time, in the form of:

Build moonbase with mining facilities
Use grav rail to launch ores to Earth orbit
Collect ores to build micro gravity factories producing new technology and ship building
(repeat with asteroid belt)
Build ships in orbit not needing to leave/enter gravity wells, to explore and colonise solar system

NASA guy said he'd heard nothing of any plans for this, although couldn't give me the entire history of anything discussed at NASA.

A permanent moonbase? Will it be symbolic or functional?

When it comes to politics Newt is one of those slimy politicians that will say or day anything if he thought it would help him. If there was no money in politics he would be no where near a camera.

But to answer the question.... :P

At this point in time a moon base would be more symbolic than functional. Until commercial operations are up & running in space I don't we will see much actual fully functioning space stations nor moon bases.

For me, it's hard to believe what governments or NASA says. But if they are building something on the Moon, I highly doubt it will help humankind.

Currrently NASA has their secret unmanned X-37B space plane orbitting Earth. Is it spying on China? Or was it created for something else?

For me, it's hard to believe what governments or NASA says. But if they are building something on the Moon, I highly doubt it will help humankind.
Oh, it will help some humans, just not all.

Currrently NASA has their secret unmanned X-37B space plane orbitting Earth. Is it spying on China? Or was it created for something else?
If not spying on China then spying on somebody else, that I have no doubt of. .

Back