Next Trek Movie?

What crew should be in the next Trek movie?

• The Original Series

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • The Next Generation

• Deep Space Nine

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Voyager

• Enterprise

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
Miramanee said:
Poll closed with ONE vote - for ENTERPRISE?? Really......
Miramanee,

Whoops! Sorry about that -- When I posted the poll I accidentally had it set to close after so many days instead of leaving it open. It's been changed to be open again.

So which cast would you prefer being in the next movie? I'm personally inclined towards starting over with an entirely different premise & characters.

Kevin
PS: Welcome to the Station!

I didn't know

I didn't know this used to be FarpointStation. I guess I should go delete it from my bookmarks, eh? I just recently started doing Forums, Boards and Groups. I had it bookmarked for viewing, never thought to post anything. Funny how things come around on the guitar.:eek:

skwirlinator said:
I didn't know this used to be FarpointStation. I guess I should go delete it from my bookmarks, eh? I just recently started doing Forums, Boards and Groups. I had it bookmarked for viewing, never thought to post anything. Funny how things come around on the guitar.:eek:
Yep, we used to be FarpointStation.org and then before that we used to be Farpoint Station BBS running on PCBoard back in the day. Those were some fun times. :smiley:

skwirlinator said:
My recent post on upcomming movies lists information/rumor that the next StarTrek movie will not be based on any existing series but on a new Idea?
Anyone heard anything more? There's stuff at movietome about possibly doing an academy setting type movie.
Doing an academy based series is one of the fan's favorite ideas because it would leave the possibility open for so many different things, not to mention the fact that characters would be able to come & go and it would still fit in with the series premise. The other idea that keeps getting tossed about is another leap-frog into the future along the lines of TOS skipping forward to TNG/DS9/VOY. There were occassional hints about what a future version of the Enterprise might be like so that's always one possibility. But, after TOS/TNG/VOY/ENT all having the same basic premise ("here's a ship, here's a crew..."), I don't know if we're ready for another series along the same lines so a fresh perspective, like Starfleet Academy, might be good.

skwirlinator said:
HHmm..... I never knew about "SciFiStorm.org" before. I may have to see if they're interested in something (visit "SciFiStorm.com" to see what I'm talking about ;) ).

An Academy Film could open a 'new bloodline' of legends to expand the federations adventures into new realms. Start using some of the ship designs only hinted at.
I think it would be a great Idea.

Had an Idea: A StarTrek Survivor type show.

whilst i think an Academy based movie would be the stuff of heroes and the whole style of TNG and onwards rigid officer personalities which would satisfy a large number of fans, i think a return of Benjamin Sisko would be far more pleasureable, maybe even get us to shed another tear in it after he's come back to the corpereal world to help out a specific task and then has to return.

i must get myself a copy of the very last episode, it just stretched my mind physically and had me crying at his loss of human form.

an academy film definitely.. or something else new.
i think it's extremely unlikely that they'd make a DS9, voyager, or enterprise movie.. and i think it'd be a waste of money.

Actually, ST:Academy was proposed (1st) as the next ST series but was turned down. Then ST:MACO was submitted and turned down. That lead to door number 3 which was ENT.

B&B deserve a lot of the blame but to quote AICN before ENT aired:
AICN stated that not only is Bakula being paid a "small fortune" to star in Enterprise, but he has also apparently been given the level of creative involvement he requested. He reportedly gave significant input to the script and his character, all of which were used by the producers.

That may explain many of the "Quantum Leap" type stories with Al, oops I mean Daniel, popping up giving Archer info on how things are supposed to turn out in the future. And why Archer always seemed to be the nearest, convenient sacrificial human lamb when the chips are down. Also would explain why a T'Pol/Archer relationship never happened, even though it was hinted at in several episodes. It would have brought in much needed tension between at least those characters, further developing them, and would have been interesting to see how they work out things and how it would affect their command decisions if one was in danger. Bakula has to accept some of the blame if he was given that much freedom in developing scripts and his character.

Outside of the "Bound" episode and Capt Hernandez this season, many fans thought Archer had no interest in women. Where was the "renegade", derring-do captain that was originally envisioned?

Oh well, hopefully the next movie/series will go back to it's ST roots and show GR's vision of the future and bring back the ethos that made ST, well ST. And please develop the characters this time around and come up with some new, engaging, interesting, and believable plots. Maybe explore the Delta or another quadrant and encounter new races and adventures. I rather see a new ST movie/series start sometime after Voyager. Breaking canon doesn't bother me (TOS did that on numerous occasions), but for many fans it does matter. Only way to avoid that is to go back to the future and make your own canon. A brand new crew will work *IF* they cast it right and make sure the characters have some contrast and are diverse, like Spock and McCoy were with their friendly barbs, but still worked as a team. The only prequel I see working is with Enterprise C with Capt Garrett. Nobody really knows the history of that time period except the end of E-C. It certainly seemed to be a darker, more turbulant time, so there would be plenty of action and unknowns to explore.

:working: :D

Sci-Fi, welcome to Cool Sci-Fi! :welcome:

Interesting notion you raised that perhaps Bakula is partially to blame for Enterprise's demise more than anybody else. For ENT-C, wasn't there a series of books also?

KW802 said:
Sci-Fi, welcome to Cool Sci-Fi! :welcome:

Interesting notion you raised that perhaps Bakula is partially to blame for Enterprise's demise more than anybody else. For ENT-C, wasn't there a series of books also?

Thx for the welcome...just been mostly lurking though.

Books aren't really considered canon in a TV series, only what has been aired or mentioned in the dialogue. So there is a lot of room to manuever expect for the ending, which was shown.

Many fans totally blame B&B but forget the other factors, like Bakula's involvement. If one did a search for older articles (a recent article was posted today), ENT was supposed to be the next movie franchise. Unfortunately, without the necessary character development and differences between the characters, the ENT cast was pretty much interchangable. Add in the unbelievable plots, major plot holes, and the usual techobabble solutions, and one can easily see why the show didn't translate well/connect with the casual viewer or the 18-49 age group. Contrast that with Lost or BSG, which spent their entire 1st season developing their characters while still advancing the plot/overall story arc. ENT didn't develop any of their characters in 4 seasons.

Why didn't we see a T'Pol/Archer relationship? It was certainly hinted about in many episodes and it would have been more interesting and potentially explosive...good dramatic stuff to play off of. Instead we got a T'Pol/Trip tryst, which came out of nowhere (except for the press releases). If the rumors are true then many fans will get their wish in the finale where Trip finally gets airlocked out of existence. ENT needed to make cast changes after the 1st season. Where's the wonder and triumph of the first forays into space? Looking back, Major Hayes should have replaced Reed and/or Conner Trineer should have been Reed and Dominic Keating as Trip. There was much debate on which actor would play those parts and often fans saw a "Reed/Trip" after each actors name. Maybe find other actors to play the roles.

The cast chemistry was all wrong. Where was the humor or friendly barbs? What did we really know about them, their backstory, hopes and dreams? One wonders who would have been Archer if Bakula hadn't stopped by Paramount to pitch a new "Quantum Leap" series. The Vulcans should have been...well Vulcans. There was no need to show the Vulcan civil war that should have taken place centuries if not thousands of years ago, unless you believe they could transform into the Vulcans we fondly remember in a century or so. There was no need for T'Pol to become a drug addict (Trellium-D). Mayweather was born in space and his family already visited the planets/space the Enterprise was to explore. But he was rarely seen or heard from and often disappeared episodes at a time without any explanation. Nobody can recall Archer ever asking Mayweather for advice or Mayweather offering any.

Stargate:Atlantis is making cast changes and replacing Ford. At least they understand and recognize the need to make a change and add different personalities to get the proper cast chemistry and develop a strong main cast. DS9 was successful in this regard too. Often we saw episodes starring the secondary characters, like Quark. ENT can't say the same with their main characters and that's the problem.

What made Star Trek, well Star Trek? It's time for ST to go back to it's roots; "exploration of humanity", "seek out new worlds and new civilizations" and bring back the ST ethos. Those are the things that made ST popular and still will connect with viewers of all ages and attract a new generation of fans. Some concepts are timeless and are always evolving, only the settings will change to reflect the current times and expectations of the audience. If you think about it, we haven't seen any of the above since season 5 of TNG and if you look at the ratings of TNG by season, the decline began then after TNG S5.

Look how many problems were solved by logic or "hunches" and not by all-out-fighting or technobabble in TOS, TNG, and DS9. There was always a "moral of the story" ending that made the viewer feel good or question why we, as a society, couldn't strive to be better and overcome our fears and prejudices. There no need to be preachy about it either, just make people think about it like the "Twilight Zone" or even TOS used to do.

:working: :artist:

Thank you Sci-Fi. That was a very nice reading post and it made alot of sense. I concur with your ideas about going back to what StarTrek really was. It's what made the show interesting and gave it the 'flavor' of new and exciting. I won't watch Enterprise. I only caught a couple minutes of the 2nd show and I was not interested enough to stay with it. If I decide to watch the series I will catch it at the opener and watch it thru to the end. I refuse to go in at mid/end series point.
I believe the Academy series would have faired better because it could explore the cultures of the federation and the standards of the code of conduct. Following a small group of recruits and instructors the series could explore the character homeworlds and assignment duty stations. Imagine if they based the academy on our present learning institutions and had 'cutting edge' science labs and weapons research. Field trips to Mercury and Pluto.
If the writers would open up the fanfic to storyline there's no telling how far that would have gone.

Star Trek Blah

:mad: Can I play devil's advocate here and ask how many other people besides me think that the entire Star trek premise has been beaten into the ground and should be allowed to finally be put to rest? Personally I'm sick of the whole Star Trek industry. Re-runs of the original, TNG, Voyager, etc. are on television constantly and the movies are played ad infinitum also. Can't Hollywood come up with an original science fiction idea?

I agree that it needs to be put away for a decade or two. But if they played it, it would get watched.

Quote:
Reports have "Star Trek XI" being released sometime in 2007. No director and no cast has been brought in, but it is clear that characters from other Star Trek properties will not be included.

Date: 03-11-2005

http://syfyportal.com/interviews.php?id=22

Quote:
"I was not a diehard Star Trek fan," he said. "When they first approached me, I wasn't really interested. But they said, 'What if we could approach this as a blank slate, and here's a notion.' When I heard the notion, I realized that the people I was talking to were serious, and genuinely dedicated. I started to really think about it, and, ultimately to develop a story. And it's a pretty good one."

Quote:
Reports of the next movie have it taking place after the events of "Star Trek: Enterprise" and before the adventures of James Kirk in the original "Star Trek" series. Jendresen confirmed that the movie would take place more than a century before Kirk, but acknowledged that it would not be an "Enterprise" spinoff.

Quote:
"'Star Trek,' the original series, borrowed in an often elegant way from classic mythology and great ancient storytelling," he said. "There's something kind of epic - almost mythic about the prequel (movie)."

Quote:
focus more on an actual story

Quote:
"We're going [roughly 80] years before Kirk. It's an earlier time, and I think it would be really refreshing to feel something in the course of telling this tale, instead of being wowed by special effects, or presenting another crew in jeopardy where, in the end, the captain does something brilliant, and all’s right with the world.”

Quote:
"By the end of this story, everyone isn't fine," Jendresen said. "I can safely say as a storyteller with certain standards…my intention is literally as a writer, as a storyteller, as a filmmaker, to go boldly where no one has gone before."

Quote:
"Everybody just needs to just take a Romulan chill pill and have some faith. Everything that has gone down over the last few years has not been lost on the gentlemen involved in this effort. I think it would be wonderful to bring a whole new generation into this world."

I think it's about time! Someone finally realized StarTrek needed to get back to its 'roots'. If this movie is based upon storytelling and not a fat paycheck or SFX it will likely 'earn' a fat paycheck. Depending upon the success of this movie is whether there will be a new series started. I guess it will be up to us fans to tell Paramount by going to see it.

Now I got my Hopes up!

Graines de Blogeueuses - Graines de Blogueuses

Erik Jendresen is a novelist as well as a writer and producer for plays, television, and film. He is best known for the award-winning miniseries "Band of Brothers", for which he was a supervising producer as well as a primary writer.

Jendresen's first on-screen work was his teleplay for the telefilm Deadlocked in 2000, starring David Caruso. From there, he went on to be the supervising producer of the critically-acclaimed mini-series "Band of Brothers" for HBO in 2001. Jendresen was one of the recepients of that year's Emmy Award for "Outstanding Miniseries", which he shared with Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg, among others. Jendresen also shared an Emmy nomination for that show in the category of "Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Dramatic Special", although that award was given to "The Gathering Storm". The show also resulted in a Golden Globe Award for "Best Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television". Jendresen followed-up "Band of Brothers" by co-writing the screenplay for Crazy as Hell with Jeremy Leven, who had previously authored the novel that the film was based upon.

Jendresen has since been attached to various projects in various stages of development, including National Geographic Films' Aloft (starring noted actor Robert Redford), The Hot Zone (based on Richard Preston's novel, Fire (based on the Sebastian Junger novel of the same name), The 300 Spartans, Saint-Ex, Explaining Hitler, Cousteau, The Immortals, the eleventh Star Trek film, and a pilot script for his own series, entitled T.I.M.E.. He has stated that his eventual goal is "to write the definitive version of Frankenstein, according to an interview with IGN Film Force (Movie Reviews, Trailers, Interviews, Wikis & Posters for Movies - IGN).

Jendresen also has to his credit several novels, most of which deal with culture of the Inca empire, including the non-fiction tales "The Four Winds" and its sequel "Island of the Sun" (both based upon the journals of and co-written with Albert Villoldo) and the children's books "The First Story Ever Told" (also with Villoldo) and "Hanuman" (with Joshua M. Greene, and Li Ming). He is also credited with authorship of the plays "Malice Aforethought" and "The Killing of Michael Malloy".

Movie Reviews, Trailers, Interviews, Wikis & Posters for Movies - IGN
10 Questions: Erik Jendresen

77Lucks: Situs Agen Slot Online | 8 Daftar Provider Slot Pasti Jackpot
Quote:
Records 1 to 5 of 5
Headline Dept Date
Erik Jendresen's (story) script of ON THE WING is in active development. Robert Redford is attached to star. Reuters. (view comments) Newsbits Apr 29, 2005
Erik Jendresen: TREK XI a "Clean Slate"; BAND OF BROTHERS Scribe Committed to "Real" Story Star Trek: Nemesis Mar 9, 2005
Meet Erik Jendresen: BAND OF BROTHERS Scribe Working on STAR TREK XI Star Trek: Nemesis Feb 25, 2005
Via Paramount, Variety confirms TrekWeb staff speculation that Erik Jendresen, not "Eric Genderson" (story), is the scribe for TREK XI. Variety has updated their website accordingly. (view comments) Newsbits Feb 24, 2005
Rick Berman Asserts STAR TREK Needs Re-Invention, TREK XI Scribe Announced Enterprise Feb 22, 2005

Paramount Pictures

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/index.html

Back