NFL 2005-2006 Season

As only a football fan for Super Bowl XL (I had no rooting interest in either team or the outcome), all I can say is that I am extremely frustrated and disappointed with the officiating. If this was supposed to be some of the best officials the league has to offer, then the NFL is in piss-poor shape. Not only did all the calls go against Seattle, those calls led to a 21 point swing. The "pass interference" call on Darrell Jackson was ridiculous (7 points), the phantom holding call on the Seattle RT was one of the worst I've seen (and Seattle would've had the ball on the 1 yard line and certainly would've punched it in from there, another 7 points), Roethlisberger's "touchdown" run was not, because the ball never reached the goal line. Again, another 7 points.

While I will admit that there were some questionable calls (though i do stand by Roethlisberger's touchdown), let's not forget that the Steelers battled through some awful calls all during the playoffs and still managed to win.

Also it's important to remember that the Seahawks missed several field goals that could've made a difference. All in all I think the Steelers wanted it and deserved it more.

While I will admit that there were some questionable calls (though i do stand by Roethlisberger's touchdown), let's not forget that the Steelers battled through some awful calls all during the playoffs and still managed to win.

Also it's important to remember that the Seahawks missed several field goals that could've made a difference. All in all I think the Steelers wanted it and deserved it more.
Pittsburgh did not have 14 points taken away from them at anytime during the playoffs. In fact they had 7 points given to them with the Roethlisberger touchdown, which was the wrong call. Pittsburgh did not have questionable calls that took them out of any games. The Polumolu interception during the Indianapolis game was a bad call. But it didn't kill them. The calls that went against Seattle killed them. The game effectively ended when holding was called on the right tackle when Seattle would've had the ball at the 1 yard line. It's all but certain they score at that point and go up 17-14, and it's a whole different ball game. Then to add insult to injury, a flag is thrown on Hasselbeck for a low block when he is making a tackle after he throws an interception that never would've occured if the terrible holding call wasn't made previously.

The field goals wouldn't have meant a thing. Instead of losing 21-10, they lose 21-16. The officials calls were a major contributing factor in ultimately costing Seattle their chance to win. There is not another way to say it. It's painfully obvious to any football fan, who isn't a Steeler fan, that the Seahawks got screwed multiple times in that game. And yes, it did indeed help to sway the outcome of the game. And it's a shame. And you also can't say that Pittsburgh deserved it more than Seattle. When 2 teams work so hard and make it to the championship of their respective sport, one team doesn't deserve it more than the other.

Pittsburgh did not have 14 points taken away from them at anytime during the playoffs. In fact they had 7 points given to them with the Roethlisberger touchdown, which was the wrong call. Pittsburgh did not have questionable calls that took them out of any games. The Polumolu interception during the Indianapolis game was a bad call. But it didn't kill them. The calls that went against Seattle killed them. The game effectively ended when holding was called on the right tackle when Seattle would've had the ball at the 1 yard line. It's all but certain they score at that point and go up 17-14, and it's a whole different ball game. Then to add insult to injury, a flag is thrown on Hasselbeck for a low block when he is making a tackle after he throws an interception that never would've occured if the terrible holding call wasn't made previously.

The field goals wouldn't have meant a thing. Instead of losing 21-10, they lose 21-16. The officials calls were a major contributing factor in ultimately costing Seattle their chance to win. There is not another way to say it. It's painfully obvious to any football fan, who isn't a Steeler fan, that the Seahawks got screwed multiple times in that game. And yes, it did indeed help to sway the outcome of the game. And it's a shame. And you also can't say that Pittsburgh deserved it more than Seattle. When 2 teams work so hard and make it to the championship of their respective sport, one team doesn't deserve it more than the other.

Everything is a matter of opinion. And while yes, it's true that Pittsburg did not have 14 points "taken away from them" there were bad calls, that could've influenced the ultimate outcome of the game. Yet, Pittsburg didn't let those calls get to them and continued to fight, when they could've easily given up. I still stand by the fact that Roethlisberger's touchdown was a touchdown. I attended a fairly big Superbowl party that had people pulling for both teams (and people who could care less), and while not all the Seahawks fans felt it was a touchdown, quite a few of them did. Unless the ref had undeniable evidence that it was not a touchdown, he could not overturn his original call, and obviously he didn't have that.

We have no way of knowing that the field goals wouldn't have meant a thing. Sure, it doesn't mean much by adding those 6 points to the final score, but who knows what kind of momentum would've been given to the Seahawks had they been made. Also the fact that by missing those field goals, it set the Steelers on the 40 yard line. We cannot say that those field goals didn't make a difference, because they certainly did.

And once again the fact that Seattle "got screwed multiple times" is also a matter of opinion. I know plenty of people who don't believe the Seahawks were screwed over and they certainly aren't all Steelers fans.

I also certainly can say that the Steelers deserved it more (once again, and opinion). The Seahawks, while a deserving team did have an easier road than the Steelers did. The Steelers were a 6th seed who didn't have a playoff game at home, the Seahawks played all their games at home. Things like that make a difference. A home field advantage makes a lot of difference.

I don't want to get into a battle here, especially over a team that isn't my main team by any means. But most of these issues you're pointing out are all matters of opinion. While there are people who feel that the Seahawks were robbed, there are certainly people who felt that it went to the best team, and these people are from across the board.

i went to the victory parade today...it was complete madness. I swear no other city can top ours. Estimated 250,000 people there...no one can beat that. There were no blockades where we were. I touched a bunch of the players hands which was pretty sweet so, i'm happy. I luv my Steelers!

Everything is a matter of opinion. And while yes, it's true that Pittsburg did not have 14 points "taken away from them" there were bad calls, that could've influenced the ultimate outcome of the game. Yet, Pittsburg didn't let those calls get to them and continued to fight, when they could've easily given up. I still stand by the fact that Roethlisberger's touchdown was a touchdown. I attended a fairly big Superbowl party that had people pulling for both teams (and people who could care less), and while not all the Seahawks fans felt it was a touchdown, quite a few of them did. Unless the ref had undeniable evidence that it was not a touchdown, he could not overturn his original call, and obviously he didn't have that.

We have no way of knowing that the field goals wouldn't have meant a thing. Sure, it doesn't mean much by adding those 6 points to the final score, but who knows what kind of momentum would've been given to the Seahawks had they been made. Also the fact that by missing those field goals, it set the Steelers on the 40 yard line. We cannot say that those field goals didn't make a difference, because they certainly did.

And once again the fact that Seattle "got screwed multiple times" is also a matter of opinion. I know plenty of people who don't believe the Seahawks were screwed over and they certainly aren't all Steelers fans.

I also certainly can say that the Steelers deserved it more (once again, and opinion). The Seahawks, while a deserving team did have an easier road than the Steelers did. The Steelers were a 6th seed who didn't have a playoff game at home, the Seahawks played all their games at home. Things like that make a difference. A home field advantage makes a lot of difference.

I don't want to get into a battle here, especially over a team that isn't my main team by any means. But most of these issues you're pointing out are all matters of opinion. While there are people who feel that the Seahawks were robbed, there are certainly people who felt that it went to the best team, and these people are from across the board.

First of all, why would they let those calls get to them. They went their way!! Of course they aren't going to let it get to them. And again, those other calls in other games did not take points off the board. That is a huge hurdle to overcome. Secondly, when Roethlisberger comes out and says in the media that he doesn't even think he got in for the score, that's saying something. And you're right about needing undisputable evidence to overturn a call. That's not my point, never was. My point is it was the wrong call in the first place.

And I find it amusing that you think it's a matter of opinion that Seattle got shafted. I don't want to sound rude or arrogant, but it's really a matter of fact. I guess all of the NFL experts, analysts, commentators and sports writers in this country who say the Seahawks got a raw deal are all wrong because they don't agree with your summation. I'm sorry, but saying Seattle wasn't robbed by those penalty's is ignoring the evidence that is on tape and that screams to the contrary. It's like having hard evidence of a crime on tape and then saying "well that's only opinion". Also, there are no "easy" games or roads in the NFL. Anyone associated with the National Football League will tell you that. Ask Indianapolis how home-field advantage worked out for them. Ask Pittsburgh how home-field advantage worked out for them when they lost multiple AFC Championship games at home in the past seasons. Home-field advantage isn't what it used to be NFL. It's nice to be able to say you have it, but beyond that, it doesn't translate into an automatic win. Pittsburgh, with their great play, proved that this year.

Lastly, those field goals did not mean a thing. A game is won by the team with the most points on the board when 00:00 is on the clock. Ask a Seahawk which points they would rather have had, the 6 points in field goals or the 14 points in touchdowns. I think you know the answer. Players, personnel & media have stated how huge those calls were in determining the outcome of the game. You can play the opinion card all you want, but it doesn't change evidence or facts. Again, if the correct calls would've been made in the first place, we wouldn't even be talking about this. Regardless of who would've ultimately won, I just wish we could have seen a clean game by the referee and his crew. As I stated before, Seattle had their blunders, and they were the first to admit it after the game, but you can't ignore the fact that those bogus calls changed the face and the momentum of the game.

Back