Nifty things from movie on official website

Evran

Cadet
I was watching the cycling video on the top left corner of the official HJ home page abd noticed a few interesting things about it.

First, the words "Miss", "Dodge" and "Blocked" appear above characters heads. This implies at least two character skills: Dodging and Blocking/Parrying.

Second, if you watch carefull, the main character's animations match the words that flash above her head (they're quite blurry and very quick) She dodges and her character ducks. The monster misses and she leans back out of the way. Reactive combat animations! Whoopee!!

Third, you'll notice that the monster that melees her runs at her right at the beginning but is distracted half-way there. Simple agro/hate dynamics? But why does is stop and appear to be sizing the situation up? All other MMOs I've played it just automatically goes straight for the new object of its ire. This seems to imply a rather robust monster AI. As a side note it almost appears to be reacting to her casting of the spell. It turns to see what shes aiming at... Hmmmm...

Fourth, her spell has an interesting delayed effect whcih could make for some interesting tactics. She first targets the center of the effect, then descibes the radius of the circle. The spell starts by shooting a pillar of flame up into the sky from the center of the circle which then falls in a rain of fire in the area a few hearbeats after it finishes gushing. It seems spell capabilities have some interesting aspects to them.

Fifth, and really important to me, notice the nature of the combat as a whole itself. Its not simply peel-a-mob-off-of-a-pack-bring-it-back-to-camp-kill-wash-rinse-and-repeat. There seems to be a tactical focus involving teamwork. Notice the first character pull one monster off right as the video starts (on the left back by the houses.. its only there for a half a second or so). That leaves the girl in green to engage only a couple of monsters (the big lizardy beast eventually goes after the first character offscreen.) And instead of just one mob in a camp scenario, its like a raid of the monster's base. Much more exciting and dynamic imo. And everyone gets to participate in combat directly, there doesn't appear to be the standard "casters and healers at the bacl, please" mentality.

All in all, just from a few short seconds, I am rather impressed by the way Simu appears to be handling combat. Yay!:D
-----------------------------------------
Oh and check out her bionic arm!

Heh, the main clip that I liked, is the one of the group of people standing around talking in the town square. I loved how the sitting person on the ledge leans back on her hands after a while. It was such a natural idle movement, but it added a lot to the immersion of the scene.

And I'm all about idle animations and emotes. They make things so much more alive. :smiley:

CoH/V isn't really as reactive. The mobs have only 2 modes of reaction.

A) I'm going to rip you into little pieces!! RAWR!!!! and...

B) Please don't hurt me!!! Run away!!! T_T

Any and all rective and movement the mobs make in that game are based off of a simple formula that is often an effect of an ability that can be easily explained.

But in HJ, the mobs actually seem to have intelliegence. Hell, HJ could be so interactive that PvP and PvE are separated by very, very small lines.

Kuzzle said:
I agree with Pietoro. As for the OP... Wow. It seems I don't pay nearly enough attention to detail.
Lol, I thinkg it more like I pay attention WAY too much ;)

Kinda excited about this game though. You'll have to forgive me :D

The details in those movies on the HJ home page really are amazing. There is so much diversity and detail in every movie. Combat system really looks good too.

I'm not just going to say those movies are amazing, but the detail that Simutronics has put into them is amazing. Look at the little things, such as the interaction with the sidewalk, the deer walking around, the movement that is fluent with how the character should act for that spell. Everything ties itself together, backflips for dodging, not just 'DODGE!'. You actually miss, when it says 'miss', etc.

I have to admit, my favorite one is the nature one though.

One thing that I liked, though small, is the way that the one character turns around to face the two that are approaching the cave entrance. It was fluid. Not eight tiny robo steps or auto-about-face like many others. I'm so relieved to see that.

Just wondering, do you think that combat with more than one creature at a time is going to be based on how well you can use your computer? (mouse and keyboard im guessing)

LearsFool said:
Just wondering, do you think that combat with more than one creature at a time is going to be based on how well you can use your computer? (mouse and keyboard im guessing)
I wouldn't doubt one bit if Hero's Journey is a skill based game. That's the way I would enjoy it. I hate being beat by a character just beucase he is slightly higher level, yet I know I'm a better player than he is. So my guess woudl be yes.

frostydf2 said:
I wouldn't doubt one bit if Hero's Journey is a skill based game. That's the way I would enjoy it. I hate being beat by a character just beucase he is slightly higher level, yet I know I'm a better player than he is. So my guess woudl be yes.

That is great I completely agree with you, i also think it makes the game even more interesting and enjoyable to play.

I don't think HJ's going to be much like that at all. I'm thinking it's going to be a lot like the standard now a days. You'll do your standard attack after targetting the enemy and then you'll execute 'moves' according to distance and endurance/energy or whatever. I'm hoping it's a tad more than that, since we've seen area spells and combo melee attacks in action. But from what some designers have said about other games and how easy they want HJ to play, I'm not really expecting much more than a numbers game to unfold in most cases.
Also posts on here by HJ staff seems to favor they don't care much for intelligent mob design. So I'm expecting you to get circled and your tank will soak damage while everyone attacks one mob at a time to destroy it. Rah.

Luciro said:
I don't think HJ's going to be much like that at all. I'm thinking it's going to be a lot like the standard now a days. You'll do your standard attack after targetting the enemy and then you'll execute 'moves' according to distance and endurance/energy or whatever. I'm hoping it's a tad more than that, since we've seen area spells and combo melee attacks in action. But from what some designers have said about other games and how easy they want HJ to play, I'm not really expecting much more than a numbers game to unfold in most cases.
Also posts on here by HJ staff seems to favor they don't care much for intelligent mob design. So I'm expecting you to get circled and your tank will soak damage while everyone attacks one mob at a time to destroy it. Rah.
I honestly don't think you could be so more wrong than what you said. The HJ staff has already hinted that the PvP is going to be very skillbased, and not dependent on level. Look at Guild Wars, it's your basic attack/dodge motion, but when only 8 skills are involved the game becomes more skill based than a FPS.

Also, where did you even get the hint that the AI is going to suck? Not once has a HJ staff mentioned that the AI will be dumbed down like they are in other MMORPG's, in fact, quite the opposite. In all of the movies they have proclaimed at how smart their mobs are, how they will move out of the way of a firewall, or run out of a firestorm. They resist what you've been casting, etc. I also find it funny that you say that becuase the same combo's that players can accumulate, the mobs will as well. Including more than just one attack, and MAYBE one skill, they will have a full skill-set from what I see it as.

Not trying to be rude, but to clarify.

Daax said:
*slaps Luciro*

Do you think I like doing that? DO YOU?!!!!!!!!

well....I do...but...still....

*finally inhales*.....whew! That was too dam funny. Could barely breathe let alone type.

Honestly now, what'd you guys expect our resident pessimist?

I think there's two different ideas of what 'skill' means floating out here. One, skill is player skill (i.e. twitch and reflex ability) HJ will almost certainly not be like that. Two, skill as in FFXI-like or UO-like skills. The more you do something in game, the better your character (not you) gets at doing it. I think its likely HJ will follow this model, but a lot more flexible than FFXI in that every skill is available to every character.

fof

LearsFool said:
guess we will just have to wait and see.

Well, I've been choking frosty for days now trying to make him make the game be made faster, but all it's done so far is give him brain damage.

Back