no posts on rachel's character

I find it quite hilarious that there are no posts on Rachel's character!
Anyone feel the same????

I don't like her character on the show much because it's too much like Sydney's.

Anyways....just thought it was funny. Any comments???

Correct me if I'm wrong. This may be merely one male's perception of things.

A lot of the negative criticism about Rachel (and Lauren, previously), is based on their appearance; their conventional standard of beauty. There used to be a TV commercial where the spokesmodel said "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful." Is there jealousy involved when a woman is considered too pretty? It seems like that makes a woman harder to relate to with other women.

I've seen speculation that Rachel Gibson was evil because she is blonde and reminiscent of Lauren. As if pretty = Bad, and average = Good.

Suppose Amy Acker got the role of Rachel Gibson, Rachel Nichols got the role of Renée, and Élodie Bouchez got the role of Peyton. Would people's opinion of the characters change? Wouldn't people say that if Amy was playing Rachel it would be reminiscent of her role as "Fred" on Angel since her character started as afraid & ineffective, and then evolved into a confident & effective character?

Suppose Mike Vartan got the role of Marshall and Kevin Weisman was Vaughn. Would the fans love them the same way? Or do their physical appearance also weigh heavily upon their female fan adoration too?

I think that Rachel's character is fine as written and acted. :angelic:

I think that Rachel's good looking, but I think that the real reason that there's been resistance is that some fans see her as an attempt to "replace" Sydney. Her appearance is just part of the package. In Rachel's case, they've brought her in as a sort of "Sydney Jr"--in much the same situation as Sydney herself (at least they had the sense to give her a normal family!). Lauren was worse because she was, in essence, replacing Sydney in Vaughn's life because she was Vaughn's wife! How the producers thought they were going to get fans to like Lauren when they were constantly showing us Sydney's misery . . . right. Like that was going to happen! :lol:

However, the producers are facing a real problem. They have an action show centered around a female lead--who is pregnant . . . and now just was, and is in no shape to be doing all kinds of dangerous stunts. :mellow: Someone's got to take up the slack. ;)

As if pretty = Bad, and average = Good.

^ i think i can see where you are coming from but I hope your not implying that Jennifer is just average because in my opinion shes the prettiest alias girl.

I think that Rachel's good looking, but I think that the real reason that there's been resistance is that some fans see her as an attempt to "replace" Sydney. Her appearance is just part of the package.

^^ I agree. A lot of fans are having a hard time wrapping their minds around the idea that Alias really is ending, and the fact that Rachel has been doing what Syd can't now that she is pregnant is a constant reminder of that, thus creating the hostility. Deep down, we all realize that because Jennifer is not 100%, after just having a baby, and someone needs to pick up the slack (like verdantheart said), but sometimes its hard not to complain about little things like this that are just annoying :smiley:

^ i think i can see where you are coming from but I hope your not implying that Jennifer is just average because in my opinion shes the prettiest alias girl.

^^ I would have to agree, Jennifer is totally gorgeous, but at the same time, she has this whole cute thing going for her... that probably comes from her bubbly personality and cute dimples.

I like Rachel, and I think she's really beautiful.

I believe people don't like her because they want more of the old characters and not more of new characters.

it's the last season and maybe it's a waste of time every time they appear on the screen.

And Rachel is a mini-Syd. She doesn't bring anything new. I think that's the reason.

But like I said, I like the character. She's not like Sydney at all and that's cool :smiley:

lmost everyone Loves Jennifer Garner/Sydney and she's gorgeous. :smiley:

I was thinking of Amy and Elodie when I was talking about 'average'. They are fine as they are, but they aren't cover-girl types. They were accepted by fans without any snarking.

On the other hand, Rachel is a blonde model-type of woman. I noticed lots of snarky comments about Rachel's looks and her bossom. The costumers of Alias have Jennifer wear padding to give her the illusion of a fuller chest. People don't complain. When the costumer 'enhance/emphasize' Rachel's attributes, people snark about it as if Rachel demands it. That seems like a double standard.

Yes, Lauren was created to get in the way of Syd and Vaughn getting together too soon. The OC keeps Ryan and Marissa apart. Grey's Anatomy keeps Meredith and Derek apart. Have single characters becoming permanent couples destroys the tension and doesn't allow character growth.

Jennifer played the other woman in Felicity and she says that her feelings were hurt at being despised for that. It wasn't fair on her.

I sort of understand the resistance to Rachel as Sydney's possible replacement, but I think that it was a good idea to have someone who looks and behaves differently than Syd. It would have been a bad idea to hire someone like Evangeline Lilly to play Rachel because she looks too much like a younger Jennifer.

Thanks for discussing the topic everyone.

Back