Not the One

Title: Not the One
By: i love vaughny
Disclaimer: blah blah blah, own nada.
Summary Based on the song “Drunk Girl” by Something Corporate, and some parts are inspired by Can’t Hardly Wait. Kind of has a Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind vibe to it.

I kissed a drunk girl. I don’t know why I even bother. All that happens is that I end up hurt.

She wasn’t just any girl, either. This girl was the one I’ve been in love with for four years, but had absolutely no courage to tell. We kissed, but she was drunk. It was at her graduation party. High school is over, and it was truly a celebration; a time for booze and drugs and girls and feelings.

The situation is still very blurry, very hazy, very unbelievable. In general, it was a good night. No one threw up on me, no one asked me twenty times to sign their yearbook, no one bothered me. Now, it sounds like I have no friends. But that’s untrue. I have friends, and no, they’re not dorks. They’re a couple of cool kids. She’s one of them, the girl I kissed. The girl I’m in love with. She’s got this soft, long, chestnut hair and these warm, caramel eyes, and her skin is perfect. Her name is Sydney Bristow, and I’d probably do anything for her.

I had a good time at the party. There was good music. Well, obviously, because it was one of my friends who threw it. We, our group, are very partial to our music. It could be called minor obsessive compulsive disorder. Half, at least, of our senior class was at her house. But that’s cool because her house is huge. Her dad’s in business, so not only is he never home, but he’s loaded, too.

Everyone was having a good time. Kids… are we even called kids anymore? Most of us are eighteen. Anyway, grads were swimming, or dancing, or hanging out, or eating, or whatever. It was a party. I don’t think I have to be detailed. Watch any teen movie, and just imagine different people, because that’s what went on there.

So, there were at least two hundred people there. Some of them were pretty cool, but only some. I guess I’m a picky people person, but I’ve been that way forever. Actually, there was probably more than two hundred people there. Until just now I forgot some kids brought their friends or whatever that didn’t go to our school. Almost, I wrote “don’t” right there. Like, as in present tense. However, we graduated, so it’s “didn’t,” past tense.

Anyway, she was drinking, but not too much, so I didn’t intervene. I had a little every now and then, too. So did everyone else there. Like I said, it was a celebration. We were just having fun. And I did have fun; it was a very amusing party. Will, my friend, and I kept making fun of people’s outfits. There were times when we were hysterical. Francie, another one of us, meaning people in our group, yelled at us a little. In the end, though, she joined in. It was probably because she was a little wasted.

I had to leave for a little while. My parents made me pick up my little sister and bring her home. By the time I got back, after being interrogated and all by my ‘rents, almost everyone was gone. She was drunk, Sydney, that is. Her house was a mess, so I offered to help clean. Francie as asleep on the couch and Will was gone. Maybe I felt obligated to help her. Or maybe I just wanted time alone with her, I don’t know.

Together, we rounded up the trash and packed it into huge, black, garbage bags with yellow ties. Somehow, it was fun. Her smile was dazzling, and both of us were cracking jokes left and right. A few people here and there were passed out, but we left them wherever they were.

After gathering all the junk that was all over the place, we took a little break and just talked, sitting on another sofa she had. I think we talked about college, and summer, and how we had to make it amazing and memorable; I’m not sure, I can’t remember. Later, we got up and began to head out front, towards the trashcans, so we could throw the bags, and everything in them, out. They were heavy, so we just kind of dragged them against the floor, and then the concrete path that led from her front step to the sidewalk, and the trashcans, the mailbox, and my car.

I told her because the bags were heavy, if she lifted the lids of the cans, I’d actually get the bags in there. She said it was a good idea. The real reason I said it is because she was drunk, and I didn’t want her to fall back or anything like that. Following that, I brushed my hands against my jeans, getting any crumbs or other substances off of them. They felt gritty and dirty before.

I was acting weird, because I was nervous. She was my best friend; she could tell.

“Is everything okay?” she mouthed, moving closer to me. Then she gradually leaned in. Her lips were on mine. Not to sound cliché, but it was a dream come true.

Her eyes were open.

I have a guilty conscience, so I teetered away and said, “Syd, we can’t do this right now. You’re not thinking clearly.” Even I was surprised I said that to her, because I don’t think anyone ever really has.

"Michael, no. No, no. I know that everything is gonna be just fine," she said. It was slurred.

I told her I was going to go. She asked me not to, but I went anyway. In the car, on that drive home, I don’t think I’ve ever felt so lonely. Yeah, she kissed me, but she doesn’t care about me, not the way I do for her, I’m sure of it.

It’s raining outside now. I thought it was, because I heard pitter patting against the window, however I wasn’t positive. But then I looked out, and saw that it is, which is completely suiting, considering everything. After all, I kissed a drunk girl, and I bet she doesn’t even remember. I could’ve been anybody else.

”DRUNK GIRL” LYRICS
I kissed a drunk girl
I kissed a drunk girl, yes I did
Kissed a drunk girl on the lips
I let my guard down
how could I have been so dumb
Her eyes were open
I know I am not the one
I know I am not the one
I know I am not the one

I kissed a drunk girl
Why do I do these things I do to myself
I kissed a drunk girl
I'm sure I could've been anybody else

I went to her house
and everybody there was gone
her little cousin just passed out on the lawn
We walked to my car
She mouthed "Is everything ok?"
We leaned in slowly
So now I can say

I kissed a drunk girl
I kissed a drunk girl
anybody else

I pulled away
cuz you see I didn't think it would be
right I said let's save this
for some other night
She said "No, no, no I know
That everything is gonna be just fine"
How could I do this when I want her to be all mine.

I kissed a drunk girl
I kissed a drunk girl
anybody else

I know you don't care about me
I'm sure when all is said and done
and I go home feeling lonely
You will have had your fun
do you even remember?

I kissed a drunk girl
I kissed a drunk girl
and now I'm sure
and now I'm sure
I could've been anybody else
anybody else
anybody else
I could have been
anybody else

OMG(MV) I'm first! This was great! It could even be made into a longer story too, but you have alot to handle with tEoSN. Great story I loooved it!!!!

<3
Gabbi

thank you.

1 -> this is a ONE parter.
2 -> i have no time to write this story, because i'm still writing tEoSN, and then i have to write the sequel for that, and blah blah blah..... no time.

That was awesome I loved it... I wish you could continue this story but I totally understand why you can't do it.

great story. Thanks for the pm.

°°NiCkY°°

That was so sad!!!! No fluff at all!!! But very, very good!! You just have such a great writing style. You could write about a rock and make it interesting. You're that good.

Thanks for the PM.

~Karen

That was so sad!!!! No fluff at all!!! But very, very good!! You just have such a great writing style. You could write about a rock and make it interesting. You're that good.

Thanks for the PM.

~Karen
thank you very, very much. (i doubt i could write about a rock that way :rollseyes:, but thanks)

WOW... That was GREAT... Sad but great... Awesome job!! (y)
thankies ^_^

That was so bittersweet.

:(

But VERY well written!
thank ya ;)

I loved it!!
-I felt really sad for Vaughn tho!!
-I think you should consider a sequel when you get time to do so!! It would be interesting!!
Thanks for the pm!

Back