Nothing Is What It Seems - Part 1

Nothing is What it Seems - Part 1 – The Most Important Lesson

Summary - 4 years before Alias. Sark’s first deep-cover mission. He’s 19 y/o.

Rating - It's prob PG now, but it'll get much juicier soon. That's why I posted it in here.

Feedback - This is my first Alias fic and only my 2nd fic ever. Please be brutally honest. I want to know if I should continue or not.

AN - I'm nowhere near finished. It's going to be LONG when / if i finally do.

Disclaimer - I don't own anything or anyone but Constance & Dr. Jacobs. JJ is a genius.

Chapter 1

Constance Jacobs had a set schedule that she kept to every day. It almost never varied: classes at the university in the morning, the café for lunch, more classes in the afternoon, the occasional stop at the store for some essentials, then back to her small two-bedroom apartment within walking distance of the university. Most would call her life boring but she enjoyed the comfort of having a plan. There were no surprises, no detours . . . until he walked in and turned her world upside down.

She was sitting in the back of her Chem class, alone as always, diligently taking notes, when the professor’s explanation of organic compounds was suddenly interrupted by a knock at the door. Constance didn’t look up to see who it was until she heard them speak.

“Professor Rhone? I apologize for being late. I got turned around on my way from the main office.” His voice was smooth as silk, with an accent that made her heart skip a beat. When she did finally look she was not disappointed. He was, in a word, perfect. Tall, with curly blond hair and the bluest eyes she’d ever seen.

“That’s quite alright, Mr. . . .” Professor Rhone paused, glancing at a note on his desk, “Thompson. I will make allowances since this is your first day. But don’t let it happen again. Please take a seat.”

Constance was so transfixed that it took her a moment to realize that the only free seat was directly beside her. But he didn’t even look at her as he sat down. She was only slightly disappointed; she was used to being ignored. It wasn’t because she was unattractive, more because she always sat alone either studying or reading; this gave off the impression that she wanted to be left alone.

A short time later, the bell sounded, signaling the end of class. As everyone got up to leave, she heard Professor Rhone speak. “Mr. Thompson, Miss Jacobs, would you stay for a moment please. I’d like to have a word with you.” She waited for the others to file out and followed “Mr. Thompson” to the front of the class. Professor Rhone addressed Constance first. “Miss Jacobs, I’d like to introduce you to Mr. Thompson. He’s just transferred here from Columbia University. Since you’re the only one without a lab partner he’ll be working with you. I want you to bring him up to speed with the rest of the class.” He turned and spoke to the man beside her. “Mr. Thompson, this is Miss Jacobs. She’s the best student in class. She’ll tell you everything you need to know.” They both nodded in acknowledgement and watched as Professor Rhone gathered his things and left.

Constance was the first to break the silence. “So what is your name? Or do you want me to call you Mr. Thompson?”

He chuckled at this. “My name is Christopher.”

She took his hand and shook it. “Nice to meet you Christopher, I’m Constance.” She released his hand. “The first thing we should discuss is what you’ve already learned and how far behind you are. Then I can devise a study schedule and outline for you to go by so that you will be sufficiently caught up with the rest of us.” She noticed that he was smiling at her. No, she thought, not smiling, but smirking. She decided instantly that she didn’t like it.

“What’s so funny,” she asked, obviously annoyed.

“Nothing,” he said, but continued smirking.

Constance was getting angry. “Look, I don’t like being laughed at so either tell me what’s so damn funny or you can figure this out by yourself.”

“Are you always this serious? I mean, what’s the rush? Am I so far behind that it can’t wait a few minutes?”

Now she was becoming impatient with him. “Fine. If you want to waste time, I can’t stop you, but I refuse to let my grade suffer because of your incompetence.”

“Ah, I see,” he said, with a knowing nod. “No need to fret though. I’m excellent at chemistry.”

“You’re arrogant & cocky,” she says derisively.

This would have offended most people but he just smirked at her again. “So are you.”

Constance was about to respond indignantly to this but she realized that it was true.

“So how about I buy you a cup of coffee and we talk for a few minutes. Then I’ll let you plan out the entire semester if you want. Sound fair?”

She thought about his offer for a moment and surprised herself when she said, “Sure.”

They left the university and walked across the street to the café where Constance ate lunch every day. It was open 24 hours and had been set up specifically for students to relax while studying. They each ordered a cup of plain black coffee and sat down on the huge couch in the lounge area.

After a long and tense moment of silence Christopher broke the ice. “We both want to know more about each other, so I suggest that we take turns. I’ll ask you a question and then you ask me.”

“Okay.”

“Why chemistry?”

“That’s easy.” A small smile crept to her lips. “My father is a scientist. I grew up around it. I always knew I’d be a scientist just like him. What I’d really like to do is genetics and chemistry just seemed like the logical first step. Forgive me for being blunt but you don’t exactly seem like the studious type. So why are you in that class?”

“It’s a requirement of my transfer that I have at least one science credit.” He shrugged. “Chemistry is the only one that wasn’t full. Next question: I asked you this before but you didn’t answer, are you always so serious?”

She nods. “Most of the time. I have to be. I don’t have time to just let loose and go crazy. I’ve worked too hard to get where I am and I can’t afford to slack off now.” Constance reluctantly admitted to herself that she liked this exchange of questions. It was nice to have someone other than her father to talk to. “Where are you from?”

“I was born in England but I spent my summers in Ireland. I moved to the States last year when I graduated.”

“So are you alone here or do you have relatives close by?”

“I’m alone. My parents died when I was a child.”

“I’m sorry. My mom died when I was born but I don’t know what I’d do if I ever lost my dad. He’s always been there for me no matter what. I remember this one time when I was about ten years old. I was in gymnastics class and I fell off of the high beam and broke my ankle. I called my dad and it seemed like he was there instantly, picking me up and taking me to the hospital. A week later I found out that he’d left a very important meeting to come get me. He lost a research grant worth more than my tuition because of that. I felt so guilty that I wanted to quit gymnastics altogether but he made me stay. He told me that I was worth a thousand grants.” Constance felt a tear falling down her cheek. She wiped it away, embarrassed. “Look at me. We’ve just met and already I’m telling you my life story.”

He was quiet. “I don’t mind. Your dad sounds like a great guy.”

“The best.”

“You said he was a scientist. What does he do?”

“Lots of things. He’s always got a dozen projects going at once. He always gets really busy and forgets to eat. If I didn’t take him food every once in a while, I don’t think he’d ever eat. Right now he’s working on a project so demanding that he’s even stopped sleeping. He works all day and all night. I’m not worried though. He’s done this before. But his current project is well worth it. It could earn him the Nobel Prize. He’s working on these micro robots called nanobots. They’re supposed to be able to fix things at the cellular level. It could revolutionize medicine, maybe even cure cancer. I’m really proud of him. I just hope he can get them to work. It all seems pretty farfetched to me.”

“I’ve heard about those. They’re supposed to be able to clean up oil spills and neutralize toxic waste and things like that, right?”

“Yeah.”

They continued talking for a long while before Constance glanced down at her watch and realized that she had missed two classes. “Oh! It’s almost three thirty! I have to go. I’m late for Calculus.” She hurriedly scribbled her cell phone number on a nearby napkin and tossed it at Christopher. “Call me later and we can set up a time to meet to go over my notes.” She saw him smirk again as she ran out the door.

As he was walking back across the street to the university parking lot where he had left his car, Christopher took out his cell phone and dialed. A woman answered, “Have you made contact?”

“Yes. She seems quite taken with me.”

“Good. Find out all you can about her father’s research. I want to be sure he’s built a working prototype before I make my move. There’s no point in going after him before it’s finished.”

“Understood.”

Christopher disconnected the call. As he got in his car and sped out of the lot he mused about how easily he had inserted himself into Constance’s life and, subsequently, into her father’s.

Chapter 2

After being viciously berated on her first day, Constance had adopted the habit of silencing her cell phone while she was in class. Leaving her Advanced Calculus class she reached to turn the ringer back on when she saw the little envelope flashing on the screen indicating that she had a voicemail. It’s probably Dad, she thought, dialing her mailbox, too busy to leave the lab and wants me to bring him dinner again. She smiled at this. But the voice she heard was definitely not her father’s. It took Constance a few seconds to realize who it belonged to. She hadn’t really expected him to call her.

“Constance. This is Christopher. I want to apologize for monopolizing your time this afternoon. I never meant for you to miss class. I am also aware that we never got around to making that schedule. If you wouldn’t mind giving up a Friday night, I would like to make it up to you. I’ll bring the food and you can schedule till your heart’s content. My number is 555-0236. I’ll be waiting to hear from you.”

She was so shocked that he had called that she didn’t hear the last part of the message. It sounded like he had enjoyed her company and wanted to see her again. She replayed it and wrote the number down on her hand. She saved the message and put her phone back in her pocket. The rest of the walk to her apartment Constance kept replaying his message in her head. By the time she got home she had convinced herself that he was only interested in getting caught up in class. Guys like him didn’t fall for girls like her. They liked those tall supermodel types with their perfect figures and flawless features. She unlocked her door and set her bag down on the coffee table in the living room. She went to her bedroom and changed out of her jeans and t-shirt into a pair of shorts and a tank.

Constance looked into the mirror on the inside of her closet door and examined herself. Her face was unremarkable: brown eyes that were a little too far apart, a nose that was a little too small, full lips that were a little to large. She moved her inspection lower, to the rest of her body. She was in shape but it’s not like anyone would notice. She always wore loose fitting clothes to hide her imperfections. Her breasts were too big for her small frame, making her look top-heavy. Her hips were too wide, so jeans never fit quite right. On the whole she believed herself to be completely disproportioned and awkward. The only feature she liked about herself was her hair. It was long and silky, reaching to the middle of her back. But Constance knew that guys weren’t interested in a girl’s hair. She pulled it back into a ponytail and shut the closet door, removing the mirror from view. Enough self-pity for one day, she thought.

She resigned herself to the fact that Christopher had only called her to make sure she would still help him for class. He’s probably trying to butter me up so I’ll let him cheat, she thought. But when she returned to the living room she called him anyway, deciding that if they were going to be lab partners then she wanted to make sure he knew what he was doing.

He answered on the second ring. “Yes?”

“Christopher? It’s Constance.”

“So have you decided to take me up on my offer?”

“I don’t really have much choice do I? My grade now depends on how well you do in class. If you fail, I fail.” She knew this sounded a little harsh but she didn’t care.

He didn’t seem to notice though. “Great. So do you like pizza? I passed a pizza place on the way back to my apartment this afternoon. I can come pick you up.”

“I don’t feel like going out. Would you mind coming over here? We would get a lot more done here than at a noisy restaurant.” Constance knew this normally would have sounded like a pick-up line but since she was sure he wasn’t interested, she didn’t worry about it.

“Alright. I’ll bring the pizza to you. Is pepperoni okay?”

“Pepperoni’s fine. My address is 1498 University Dr. Do you know how to get here?”

“Yes, right across from the university. I’ll can be there in fifteen minutes.”

“Okay,” she said, and hung up.

There was a knock on her door exactly fifteen minutes later. Constance opened the door to see Christopher balancing a pizza and his chem book in one hand with his other hand raised to knock again. She took the pizza from him and motioned for him to come in.

“Thanks,” he said and closed the door behind him.

She led him to the living room and set the pizza down on the coffee table next to her bag.

They both sat down on the couch and Constance reached into her bag to get out her chemistry book. “I guess we should start at the beginning.” She opened it to the first chapter. “An Introduction to Chemistry,” she read. “Let’s see what you know. What is chemistry?”

“Chemistry is the study of matter, including its composition, structure, changes, and the energy required for such changes.”

“Okay, how about the definition of matter?”

“Anything that occupies space and has mass.”

“Compound?”

“A substance composed of two or more elements.” There was that damn smirk again.

“Okay, so you know the basics. Let’s try something harder.” She flipped ahead to the third chapter. “What is the most abundant element in the atmosphere and how many electrons does it have?”

“Oxygen and eight.”

She flipped to the back of the book, to a chapter they hadn’t covered in class yet. “Name the three IB Metals.”

“Copper, Silver, and Gold.”

Constance closed the book and looked at him suspiciously. “You’ve taken chemistry before haven’t you?”

“No, I read the book this afternoon while I was waiting for your call.”

She looked disheartened. “I guess you’re caught up then. We’re only on chapter five so you shouldn’t have any problem on Monday.”

“You really wanted to put me in my place didn’t you? You’re not used to people being as smart as you are.”

She looked down at her hands, feeling guilty because that’s exactly what she’d been trying to do. “I’m sorry.”

Christopher put a finger under her chin and gently lifted her head so that her eyes met his. “Don’t ever apologize for being yourself.”

He let go and her eyes drifted back to her hands. “You’re right. I don’t have a very high opinion of people in general and I guess I have a tendency to be condescending without realizing it.”

“I agree with you completely. Most people are idiots. They don’t deserve your time.”

She looked up at him with a quizzical expression on her face. She didn’t know what to think about this man who was obviously her intellectual equal. She had never encountered anyone like him before. “So if you didn’t need my help, why are you here?”

“When we met this morning you reminded me of someone.”

“Who?” She was curious.

“Me.” They both grinned at this.

“Well, since we’re not going to study, we might as well eat.” She opened the pizza box and grabbed a slice. After taking a bite she got up and walked to the kitchen. “Would you like something to drink? I’ve got water and soda.”

“Soda.” She tossed him a can from the fridge and took one for herself.

She returned to the couch and they sat in comfortable silence while they ate. I can’t believe how comfortable I feel around him, she thought, and I just met him this morning. This is insane. She broke the silence with another question. “So what do you usually do on a Friday night?”

“Not much. I’m not exactly a social butterfly. I keep to myself mostly. I usually stay at home.”

“That’s hard to believe. Someone like you? I would think you’d be going out every night.”

“Someone like me?”

“Yeah. You’re tall, sexy, and British. I know girls that would kill to go out with you.”

He raised an eyebrow at this. “Really?”

“Oh, yeah!” It was then that she noticed that she had called him sexy. Her face flushed and she gave a shy smile.

“You know, you’re not so bad yourself,” he said, looking at her appraisingly.

She flushed an even darker shade of crimson. “You shouldn’t say things that aren’t true.”

“I don’t.”

She looked up into those beautiful blue eyes of his and didn’t back away when he leaned in close. He caressed her cheek softly and she closed her eyes. Then suddenly his hand was gone and he was standing up. Constance opened her eyes, confused. She had been sure that he was going to kiss her.

“It’s late. I should go.”

She didn’t know what to say so she mumbled a barely audible, “Okay,” and watched him walk out the door.

She got up off the couch and started cleaning up the pizza and soda cans. Stupid, stupid, stupid, she thought, throwing them in the trash. He wasn’t going to kiss me. But it was obvious that I thought he was going to. I scared him off and lost a potentially good friend in the process. What was I thinking? She watched out the window as Christopher drove away. He’ll probably never want to see me again.

That was not supposed to happen, Christopher thought as he drove. He ran a hand through his unkempt hair in a nervous gesture that he’d tried to rid himself of. He passed his street and kept going toward the highway. How did she get under my skin in less than a day? He had always prided himself on being detached and able to control his emotions. In this game it could mean the difference between life and death. He had lost control. Not because he had almost kissed her, no, sex was just another tool. Because he wanted to kiss her, not to manipulate her, but because he had really wanted to. And that scared him more than the threat of death.

Chapter 3

She woke up early Saturday morning feeling miserable. She’d lain awake most of the night feeling like she had driven away the first person that she’d ever felt a real connection with. But she refused to feel sorry for herself. She wasn’t any worse off than she had been the previous morning. She decided to go for an early morning run around the track field so she took a quick shower and changed into a sports bra and a pair of lounge pants. On the way out the door she slipped into her favorite well-worn pair of running shoes and grabbed her cell phone.

Constance jogged around the track for a while, trying to clear her head. Running usually helped to relieve tension but today it just wasn’t working. She made her way back to her apartment and took another shower, a cold one. As she stood under the icy spray she kept repeating to herself, I met him yesterday, you can’t miss someone you only knew for one day. It just doesn’t make any sense. But the little voice in the back of her mind wasn’t listening. All it could say was those eyes, that damn annoying smirk, that tousled hair, mmm . . . She was suddenly glad it was a cold shower.

She didn’t see Christopher again until Monday morning in class. She had almost thought he wasn’t going to come but he showed up just as the bell rang. He sat down next to her but the professor had already started the lesson and they didn’t get a chance to talk until class was over. He left rather quickly and Constance had to run to catch up. She touched him on the shoulder and he turned to face her. “Christopher, please. Can we go somewhere and talk?”

He nodded and led her outside to an empty bench in the square.

“I know exactly what I want to say and it’ll be easier without interruptions.” She didn’t give him time to respond. “We have a lot in common and I think there is a real connection between us. I know it was fast and I know it doesn’t make sense but you are the first person that I’ve talked to in ages that didn’t bore me to tears. I enjoy talking to you and I already consider you a friend. I think it would be a waste to throw this away over one awkward moment. I guess what I’m trying to say is, can we still be friends?”

“I’d like that.”

“Good because I don’t know how long I could have stood having a silent lab partner. That would be difficult.”

“When I first met you, three days ago,” he laughed, “I thought you were the quiet bookish type. But you talk a lot.”

“I am the quiet bookish type. But when I find someone worth talking to, I do. I have a lot to say but most people don’t want to listen. I think that’s part of why I like talking to you so much. You sit there and let me talk. I think you’re listening but it’s kinda hard to tell.” She squinted her eyes and looked at him closely as if searching for proof.

“Yes, I’m listening.”

“Just checking. I’d love to stay and chat some more but I missed two classes on Friday and I can’t afford to miss any more. Call me if you want to do something later. Or not, it’s up to you.” She rose from the bench and walked to her English class in a much better mood than when she had sat down.

Over the next few weeks Constance and Christopher saw each other regularly, three days a week in class and almost every weekend. One Friday evening, after her last class, while they were walking together toward the café where they regularly spent their free time, her father called. “Hi, Dad.”

“Hello, sweetheart. I know you’re busy but I was wondering if . . .”

“If I would bring you something to eat,” she interrupted, smiling, “Sure. What would you like?”

“Chinese. I’m sorry to keep doing this to you, honey, but I think I’m really onto something here.”

“No problem.” She paused and looked over at Christopher. “Dad, would you mind if I brought a friend along?”

Twenty-five minutes later Constance was unlocking the door to her father’s house. Christopher followed as she led the way to her father’s basement lab. She knocked on the door and heard a muffled, “Coming,” and a few seconds later, footsteps walking up the stairs. She motioned for Christopher to follow her to the kitchen. She was setting the table when her father came in. “Hi, honey,” he said, kissing her on the cheek. “So who is this friend of yours?”

“Hello, sir. My name is Christopher,” he said, extending his hand. “I have Chemistry with your daughter. She’s an excellent lab partner.”

Dr. Jacobs shook his hand, nodding. “I know she is. She’s helped me figure out a problem more than once.”

“Constance told me that you’re working on nanotechnology right now. That must be exciting.”

“It’s the most fascinating discovery ever. But it’s also the most elusive. I can’t seem to get the equations to balance though. Every time I think I’m getting close, I find another wall blocking my progress. I’ll be lucky to crack the mechanics within the year.”

“Enough shop talk guys. The food’s going to get cold.”

A couple of hours later they left her father’s house and walked the few blocks to Constance’s apartment building. “Your dad seems like a great guy.”

“I’ve always thought so. He’s been my best friend for most of my life. I’ve always been able to talk to him about anything.”

Christopher felt a twinge of guilt at this but he pushed it aside. There was no room for sentiment. He was sent to gather intel about Dr. Jacobs and so far he had succeeded. He simply had to maintain his ruse of friendship with Constance long enough for her father to complete his project. Then he would never have to see either of them again. He was so deep in thought that he hadn’t noticed that they had arrived outside her apartment.

“Thank you for coming with me tonight. It means a lot to me. Not many people would enjoy talking to a boring scientist for two and a half hours.”

“It was very informative,” he said with a small grin. Which was true. He had learned a lot.

She laughed. “I’m just glad he didn’t try to show you his lab. We would have been stuck there all night.”

“At least I’ll have something to look forward to for next time.”

Constance looked down at her watch. “It’s still early. Do you feel like maybe catching a movie?”

“I can’t. I have to get up early in the morning. I have a meeting with the counselor at seven. Apparently there’s something wrong with my transfer application. It’ll probably take a few hours to sort it all out. I should be finished by lunch though.”

“That sounds good. I’ll meet you at noon then.”

“I’ll call you tomorrow,” he said, and walked around the corner and out of sight.

When he was sure she was out of earshot he took out his phone and dialed his employer.

“What have you discovered,” asked the woman, with a faint Russian accent.

“Dr. Jacobs’ research is coming along nicely. I met him myself this evening. He is very dedicated to his work. I believe it wont take him long to develop a prototype.”

“And the girl?”

“She doesn’t suspect anything. I’m meeting her for lunch tomorrow.”

“Keep me informed of any changes.” There was an audible click as she hung up.

Awesome!! I love it. Why wouldn't I? Your frist part deserves a :eek:scar: :clap: I can't wait to read more, and see where you take it ;) May I be added to the pm updated list. This is certainly a story that I want to keep reading. Can't wait for more!! :read: :jump:

Love ya,

Penny :angelic:

Bravo (y)
Carefully and well written. It definitely appealed to my taste.
I'd be excited to read more.
Thank you for sharing!
Oh my gosh..now All I can think of is Sark...Sark....deliciously evil Sark!!!! :P
Good thing David Anders would never read this... :angelic:

pennstatechic said:
May I be added to the pm updated list.

Love ya,

what's that? i'd be happy to if i knew how.

also, when i update, do i edit the original post and add more or do i reply and make it a new section? i've never done this b4 so i'm kinda confused.

ShiftyNit said:
pennstatechic said:
May I be added to the pm updated list.

Love ya,

what's that? i'd be happy to if i knew how.
No sweetie! When you want to send someone an update you take allof our names, and when you go to your control panel, you click send new message. The first option. There is a box called a "carbon box" where you can pm up to ten people. You type a person's name. For example:

Pennstatechic
Puppy

You write it like that in the box. You then write in the message box "Updated my fic or something, and then you press Send. It will automatically send the pm to the ten people you entered. You don't have to have ten exactly either.

also, when i update, do i edit the original post and add more or do i reply and make it a new section?  i've never done this b4 so i'm kinda confused.

When you want to add a new chapter to your story, just hit "add Reply" and type your new chapter. You don't want to erase what you have already done, or other people can't read what you started before. Anytime you updated, you just do a new reply. Don't starta new topic. As if you were replying to someone's story. That's it!

If you have anymore questions let me know. Or just pm me. I hope this makes sense to you! ;)

Love ya,

thanx penny. but i didn't mean to erase what i had already posted, i meant to add to it so that ppl dont have to scroll thru several pages to get the rest of the chaps.

w/e i'll figure it out. thanx for ur help.

Chapter 4

Constance was getting ready for her lunch with Christopher when the phone rang. She answered and was thrilled to hear his voice. But her heart sank when she heard the reason he had called.

“I’m sorry, but I am not going to be able to make it for lunch today. My meeting with the counselor was delayed and it looks like I might be here for a while.”

She tried to keep the disappointment out of her voice. “That’s okay. I need to study for a test next week anyway.”

“Let me make it up to you. How about dinner? There’s this restaurant I have been wanting to check out, La Vigne, but it’s no fun going alone. Would you like to come with me?”

Her heart instantly jumped to her throat. She had heard of La Vigne, it was a very expensive French restaurant that she had always wanted to go to but could never afford. “I’d like that,” she managed to say.

“Great. I’ll pick you up at eight then.”

“Okay.”

“I have to go, but I’ll see you tonight.”

As she hung up Constance had to fight to remind herself that this was not a date. He thought of her only as a friend and whatever she felt for him didn’t matter. But what did she feel for him? She had been asking herself that question since the dinner at her father’s house. Christopher had been wonderful, asking her father questions and listening intently to what he said. Watching their conversation the previous night had made her realize that what she felt definitely went beyond friendship. But how far beyond, she didn’t know.

Later that evening Constance was trying to decide what to wear. She had already tried on every dress she owned but none of them were nice enough to wear to La Vigne. Then she remembered the dress she had worn to an award banquet with her father last year. It was hanging neatly in a bag in the very back of the closet. She had to move many boxes to reach it.

The dress was beautiful. It was a simple black dress with slim straps and a scooped neck. The hem was long with a split on each side that reached up to her hip. The back was very low, barely covering her underwear. Wearing it Constance had felt truly beautiful for the first time in her life.

She fixed her hair into a loose knot at the base of her neck, leaving small tendrils to frame her face. Stepping into the dress she wondered what Christopher would think. Her usual wardrobe consisted of ill-fitting blue jeans and t-shirts. But this dress left little to the imagination. Since it was backless, she couldn’t even wear a bra. She felt very conspicuous and practically naked. She hoped Christopher wouldn’t laugh at her.

The doorbell rang as Constance was finishing her light make-up. She wore only shimmery eye shadow and clear lip-gloss. “Coming,” she called as she hurried to the door as fast as she could in high heels.

Christopher was waiting for her on the other side, looking devilishly handsome in a tailored black suit with a charcoal gray silk shirt and no tie. She wondered again why a guy like him would ever want to spend time with a girl like her. She was so absorbed with her own thoughts that she didn’t see the expression on his face as he led her out to his car.

When she had appeared at the door he had been stunned by her beauty. Elegant was the only word he could think of to describe her in that moment. He hadn’t noticed before how gorgeous she was. He wondered why she hid such an amazing body behind such loose-fitting clothes all the time. But he was suddenly grateful that she did because he didn’t think he could trust himself to do his job if she looked like this all the time. Right then he wanted nothing more than to kiss her into oblivion while he explored the skin covered by the smooth fabric. It didn’t help his situation much when she turned and he saw how low the dress dipped in the back. No, stick to the mission. Tonight you are supposed to be seducing her, not the other way around. He took her hand in his and lead her out to his car without saying a word.

During the drive to the restaurant he managed to regain his control, reminding himself that he was a professional, that one beautiful woman would not keep him from completing his mission. Seeing Christopher’s scowling face, Constance knew she had upset him. She mentally berated herself for thinking she had actually looked nice for a change, suddenly feeling like a child playing dress-up. He must think I’m so stupid for wearing this. But it’s the only dress I had that was nice enough for the restaurant. I didn’t have time to buy a new one. By the time they arrived at La Vigne she had effectively convinced herself that he was embarrassed to be seen with her. Why else would he be so quiet?

He parked the car and they entered the restaurant without speaking. Constance was still upset and didn’t notice all eyes turn toward her as they walked in. Christopher marveled that someone so stunning could be so oblivious to the effect she was having on every man in the room, himself included. He put his arm around her waist possessively as they followed the host to their table, marking her as his.

He ordered a bottle of wine and poured them each a glass. He could tell she was nervous and he hoped a small glass of wine would calm her down.

“I’m sorry,” she said suddenly.

He was confused. “What for?”

“For wearing this dress. I know I look ridiculous but it’s the only thing in my closet that was even remotely suited for this,” she gestured to the magnificent room around them. His small chuckle only made her angry. “Don’t you dare laugh at me.”

He stopped cold at the look of hurt and anger in her eyes. “I only laughed because you are easily the most exquisite woman here. To say you look ridiculous is downright comical.”

She looked at him curiously. “You don’t think I look funny?”

“No. I think you’re gorgeous.”

She blushed a deep shade of crimson. Luckily the waiter arrived to take their order. Constance had no idea what to order because the menu was written entirely in French. But Christopher obviously had no trouble with it at all.

“I will order for the both of us if you don’t mind?”

“I don’t mind at all,” she said, silently thanking him for not making her blunder through foreign words she didn’t understand.

He glanced down at his own menu and gave the waiter their order. It sounds delicious, Constance thought, but maybe that’s just because he’s saying it. He could be ordering snails for all I know. “Please tell me you didn’t just order escargot or something like that,” she said after the waiter left.

“No, of course not. The liver is much better.” She blanched at the thought of eating liver until she noticed he was smirking at her. “Don’t worry,” he said, “I ordered you chicken.”

“You’d better. Because otherwise you were about to be wearing that wine.”

They both laughed. Constance was starting to enjoy herself now that she knew Christopher didn’t think she looked foolish.

The meal went by quickly. They had been sitting quietly for a few moments when Christopher placed his hand on hers and looked into her eyes. “Dance with me.” She couldn’t have refused if her life depended on it. He led her out to the small dance floor in the middle of the restaurant and pulled her close. They danced slowly to the ambient music. His hand was on the small of her back, absentmindedly caressing her with his thumb. Constance had to turn her head and bite her lip to stifle a small moan of pleasure. It felt so good to be held close. They danced for a long while before returning to their table. Constance was beaming. She could have danced all night. But it was late and the restaurant was closing.

During the drive back to her apartment, Constance felt like she was floating on air. All too soon, they were at her door.

“I had fun tonight,” she said.

“So did I.”

“Actually I can’t remember when I’ve had so much fun. I’ll never forget this.” She leaned up and kissed him so softly he barely felt it. “Goodnight, Christopher.”

He watched her unlock the door and step inside. But before she could close it, he touched her shoulder and gently turned her around. Before he could stop himself, his hand was at her neck, entwining his fingers in her hair. He leaned down and kissed her as tenderly as he was capable of. He didn’t want to scare her. He knew if he pushed too hard she would run, and that was the last thing he needed. He refused to admit to himself that he wanted to be with her. He almost succeeded until he heard a soft moan escape her lips. His tight control vanished and he crushed her mouth in a passionate kiss that took their breath away.

She ran her hands up his smooth chest underneath his jacket and pushed it off of his shoulders. When she began unbuttoning his shirt he stopped her, holding her hands in place. Constance could feel his heart beating swiftly as he looked into her eyes. “Are you sure,” he asked. “I don’t want you to do something you’ll regret tomorrow.” He half hoped she’d tell him to leave, angry with him for going too fast. But she didn’t. She simply nodded and pulled him close for another kiss, closing the door behind him.

He had the sudden need to touch her, to feel her soft skin against his. He trailed kisses across her cheek and down her neck to the cleft between her breasts. Her head fell back and she ran her fingers through his hair, reveling in sensation. He pushed the thin straps of the dress off her shoulders and watched it pool at her feet. She was suddenly shy and wouldn’t look at him. He tenderly lifted her face so they were eye to eye. “You’re beautiful.” She tried to turn away but he said again, “You’re beautiful.” She saw in his eyes that he meant it. For whatever reason she couldn’t fathom, he thought she was beautiful.

Seeing the sincerity in his eyes, Constance realized that she was in love with him. It wasn’t rational, it wasn’t logical, hell, they had only known each other a few weeks, but it was the truth. Emboldened by her love, a wicked gleam entered her eyes. She kissed him forcefully and with all the passion she possessed, pausing only to pull his shirt over his head. To hell with buttons, she thought.

As soon as his arms were free Christopher lifted her into his arms and carried her to the bedroom, kicking off his shoes as he went. He laid her gently on the bed with a tenderness he didn’t know he was capable of. He carefully eased himself on top of her, caressing her body as he went, sending shivers down her spine. He leaned in, and flicked his tongue over her nipple. She moaned loudly and arched her back, her body begging for more. He ran his fingers around her other breast teasing her. His mouth moved to her other nipple and the cold air on the exposed skin made her shiver again. He moved lower, to her abdomen and delved his tongue into her belly button, eliciting another moan. And still lower to the top of her panties. He pulled them down over her hips and past the strappy shoes she still had on. He kissed his way back up her body as torturously slow as he had descended. When he finally returned to her mouth Constance was dizzy with desire.

She reached between them to unbutton his pants, unable to wait any longer. “I want you inside me,” she gasped breathlessly. Christopher pulled off his pants and boxers in one fluid movement. They locked eyes as he entered her and he saw the pain flash across her face. He suddenly realized that she had been a virgin. He was shocked that she had allowed him to be her first, and he was quickly overcome with emotion. “Shh,” he said as he caressed her face, kissing away the lone tear that had fallen, “it’ll only hurt for a second.” And he was right; a moment later she was moving her hips in tandem with his. He was awed at how perfectly they fit together, like they were made for each other. But all thought left him as she cried out his name at the pinnacle of passion, pushing him over the edge. He collapsed on top of her and she enjoyed the weight of him, wrapping her leg over his. They fell asleep like this, neither able to move.

Constance awoke some time in the early morning to Christopher looking down at her. He had moved and was now lying beside her, propped up on one elbow, studying her intently. “Hi,” he said, smiling.

She returned his smile. “Hi.”

“So what would you like to do today?”

In answer, she pulled his head down to hers and kissed him deeply.

Another awesome chapter from an awesome writer :jump: Great chapter. I love Constance and Christopher. They are so cute together. I love where you are taking the story. Best story I have seen in a long time. Excellent writing :eek:scar: Thanks for the pm, and the update. Now all you have to do is write more so I can :read: while I am sitting on my 🛋️!! More soon please :smiley:

Love ya,

Thanx to all for reading. Thanx esp to penny. I couldn’t do this without your help.

Here’s a preview of what’s coming up:

- part 1 ends with a bang – total cliffhanger
He explains that he was sent to steal her father’s research. She screams at him and says that his betrayal will never be forgotten. (Later) . . . . . Her last thought as she loses consciousness is that regardless of what she said, she still loves Christopher . . .

- part 2 is when the fun stuff begins. Part 1 is more of a prologue so that part 2 will make sense.
The Covenant sends an assassin to kill Sark, but things don’t work out the way they plan.

I know that’s not much, but I don’t have it written yet, so that’s all I’ve got.

If you've gpt any ideas on what you think should happen next, I'd be happy to hear them.

shifty

sure! i'd be happy to add u. thanx for reading. so far i think ur like the 5th person who's read it. oh well, c'est la vie.

shifty

i know it's been a while since i updated but i've been very busy. my best friend is getting married! i'm helping out with all of that. but i promise i will write more soon (whether ppl like it or not)

shifty

Great fic so far! An interesting topic, Sark's earlier years working for Irina.. can I be added to the PM list? gracias ! :D

OMG!!! :woot: THis is such a great Fic!! I love Sark, as people can tell from my own fic...(I have him and Sid together.) so this is SO AWESOME!!!!!

Reading this I wanted to cry and laugh!! Please, please, please, please add me to you PM list!!

:woot:

I love this!! Makes me want to be Constance

Chapter 5

As she sat on her father’s couch, Constance reflected on the past four months. She and Christopher had been inseparable since the night at La Vigne. He had moved into her apartment a few weeks later. They had begun having dinner with her father every Friday evening. She loved that Christopher understood how close she and her father were; he was her best friend and she couldn’t imagine not seeing him regularly.

A hand on her shoulder brought her out of her reverie.

Christopher laughed and turned to her father, “I guess so.”

She was confused, “What?”

“I asked if you were bored with all of this shop talk.”

“Of course not. I love to listen to Dad talk about his projects. I find it all fascinating.”

“Then you’re going to love this,” her father said enthusiastically. “I finished it,” he said, looking like a child on Christmas morning, “I’ve finished a set of working nanobots.”

“But I thought you said it would take a few more months?”

“I had an epiphany a few weeks ago that saved me months of research. It’s much too technical to explain without a diagram so I’m not even going to try. Let’s just say that I found a loophole in the rules of science.”

“Wow! Dad, I’m so happy for you. Maybe you’ll finally get that Nobel prize.”

“I can only hope.”

Christopher waited until Constance was asleep and quietly got dressed and left their apartment. The second he got in his car he turned the music on very loud and sped out of the lot. The prototype was finished. He was supposed to call and report this new development but he was conflicted; he didn’t want to betray Constance but he knew the consequences for betraying her. He didn’t even want to think about what she could do to him. His mind raced. She could steal the prototype without anyone finding out I was involved. Then I could quit and stay here with Constance. But he knew it was just a fantasy. She would never let him leave, he knew too much about her organization. He resigned himself to his fate and called. Even at this hour she answered on the first ring, as if she had been expecting his call.

“Yes.”

“He’s finished ahead of schedule.”

“Excellent. We’ll move tomorrow night, then. Keep the girl away while I retrieve the device.”

“Understood.”

He drove all night until the sun tinted the horizon. His heart was heavy as he reentered the apartment he had left hours earlier. She was still asleep. He undressed and got into bed beside her, savoring these last moments together.

Constance watched him sleeping next to her. She smiled, He looks so young when he sleeps. “Mornin’, sunshine,” she said when she he began to stir.

He laughed, “What time is it?”

“Still early,” she said, “but I have a lot planned for us today.”

“Like what,” he asked.

She leaned over and whispered with a mischievous grin, “It’s a surprise.”

“I could make you tell me,” he said and began kissing her neck and down to her breasts.

She gasped and then moaned when his tongue flicked over her nipple. He let go of her hands to caress her other breast and was surprised when she pulled his head up to hers. “As much as I would love to continue,” she said smiling, “it wont work this time. I’m not telling.”

Christopher sighed. He had wanted to spend their last day at home, just the two of them. Of course she couldn’t know it was their last day. “Alright, but we will definitely continue this later.”

“Definitely.”

Her surprise was a tour of their favorite places: a local art exhibit, wine tasting, and dinner at La Vigne. After dinner they went for a walk in the park.

“You’re quiet tonight,” she remarks as she leans her head on his shoulder. He doesn’t respond. “Christopher?” She stops and looks up at him.

“We need to talk.” He motions to a nearby bench and they sit down.

Before he can say another word she puts a hand to his lips to stop him. There are tears glistening in her eyes as she speaks. “Please, don’t do this. How can you break up with me after a day like today? I thought we were happy.”

“What? Who said anything about breaking up? All I said was we needed to talk.”

“Every girl knows that when a guy says ‘we need to talk’ it means they want to break up.”

“No, that’s the last thing I want. That’s why we need to talk. I don’t want to lose you.”

“I’m not going anywhere. I love you.”

He was shocked at this but he was even more shocked by his reply. “I love you too,” it was barely more than a whisper. He turned away from her. “That’s why I have to tell you the truth.” Constance suddenly didn’t want to hear what he was going to say next. “I’ve been lying to you. I’m not a college student. I’m a spy working against your government.” The look of disbelief on her face made him want to hold her and tell her that his was the lie and that it was all just a horrible joke. But he forced himself to continue. “I was assigned to get close to you to monitor your father’s progress.” He couldn’t look her in the eye, afraid of the rejection he expected to see there. Her quiet sobbing was almost more than he could bear.

“So you’re telling me that I am just a job to you? Is that it?” Her voice was tinged with injured anger. “That you were using me to steal my father’s research?”

“It started out that way but I honestly do love you. I couldn’t keep lying to you anymore.”

“And I’m supposed to believe you now? You’ve been lying to me for months. How can I trust a word you say?”

He felt the hurt in her voice and hated himself for being the cause of it. But he had to warn her, “Listen, I told you tonight because everything’s culminating tonight. Someone is already in place to acquire the prototype.”

“Tonight? You mean my father could be in danger this very minute? Why didn’t you tell me before?” She turned and ran toward her father’s house, hoping she wouldn’t be too late to warn him. “I’ll never forgive you for this,” she screamed over her shoulder, her tears flowing freely.

Constance burst through the door to her father’s house and was relieved to see that everything looked fine. She paused for a moment to catch her breath. Then she realized that she didn’t see her father anywhere. She walked down the hall to his bedroom and knocked but there was no answer. She cautiously opened the door saying, “Don’t worry, it’s just me.” But the room was empty. She was beginning to worry again. Maybe they had already come and left. She continued down the hall to the basement door. She opened it and looked down the stairs but all she could see were lab tables piled high with books, papers, and various knick-knacks. She walked down the steps and called softly, “Daddy?” When she reached the bottom she was greeted with a gun pointed at her. She looked beyond the gun and saw the strikingly beautiful woman wielding it. In the room beyond, Constance saw her father tied to a chair with a gag in his mouth. Her first instinct was to run away, but she couldn’t leave her father.

“I knew he would tell you. In fact, I was counting on it.” The woman’s sly grin sickened Constance. The only thing keeping her from attacking her was the gun still pointed in her direction. “He has much left to learn.”

“You know, I’m getting sick of being a pawn in your little game. Why don’t you both just leave me and my father alone?” Her bravado scared her, but she was fueled by anger; the man she loved was only with her because this woman told him to.

“I can’t do that. Not while there are still lessons to be learned.” She turned and shot Dr. Jacobs once in the head, killing him instantly.

Constance screamed and lunged at her. They both fell to the ground, dazed, but the woman recovered first. She punched Constance in the jaw, sending her back to the floor. The woman ran up the stairs and out the door. Constance dragged herself to her feet and followed a few seconds later. The moment she cleared the door the lab exploded behind her, throwing her against the wall. She staggered to the living room in time to see the woman reach the back door. “Hey b****!” The woman turned toward her with a look of curious surprise. “She raised her gun and fired at Constance but she was not prepared for the vase that Constance threw at her. Her shot was low. Instead of the heart, the bullet entered just below her navel. Constance collapsed, bleeding profusely. The woman left as the house erupted in flames. Constance’s last thought as she slipped into oblivion was that she still loved Christopher and she was sad that he would never know that she had been pregnant.

Christopher watched as Constance raced away. Her words stung. But he admitted to himself that he deserved much worse. He had hurt the only person that had ever truly cared for him. He walked glumly back to his car and drove to Dr. Jacob’s house. It was an inferno, already crumbling from the fire. He parked a few houses down and sat numbly, unable to move. The woman opened the passenger side door and climbed in. “The mission was a success. I got the prototype.”

“And Constance?” He was almost afraid to ask.

“She was still inside when I left. She wouldn’t leave him behind.”

A cold anger filled him. “You could have done this yourself without me. Why have me get close to her when you could have simply seduced her father?”

“You are the best I’ve ever seen at espionage, besides myself. But there was one thing you had yet to learn, the most important lesson of all: a spy cannot afford to love. It only gets in the way. Everyone you love will eventually leave, whether by death or by choice; it is inevitable.”

He nodded and started the car. A deep hollowness filled him as he drove away, leaving Christopher behind to die with his beloved.

END – Part 1

Back