Now official: JJ Abrams to direct MI: 3

Azhria Lilu

Captain
As we mentioned earlier, JJ Abrams will be directing Mission Impossible: 3

However, today Paramount Pictures made this official and there has been some media attention surrounding this.

Here is the press release:
Paramount Pictures and Cruise/Wagner Productions announce that J.J. Abrams will direct the third installment of the "Mission: Impossible" franchise starring Tom Cruise. Previously being prepped in Berlin, the film is now set to begin shooting in the summer of 2005.
    Abrams, the screenwriter of "Armageddon," is also the creator of "Alias" and "Felicity" as well as a writer on the new television series "Lost." Having directed all three of those series, Abrams makes his major motion picture directorial debut with the third installment of "Mission: Impossible."
(source)

A related Zap2it article from yesterday:
Tom Cruise is temporarily abandoning espionage for an alien invasion.

Paramount Pictures will put the Cruise-starring "Mission: Impossible 3" on the back burner due to production difficulties, and instead will plug the star into "War of the Worlds."

It goes on to say

The third installment of the "Mission: Impossible" series was set to begin production this summer, but was constantly delayed after losing director David Fincher and then Joe Carnahan. Finally, Paramount has settled on "Alias" creator J.J. Abrams, but must wait until his schedule clears up in summer 2005. "M:I-3" will mark Abrams' feature directorial debut.

Read full article

Leslie said:
Blah. I hate Armageddon. :hmm: That makes no sense at all coz I love Alias. Well, except for S3. :lol:
[post="966121"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Ditto Les..I hated Armageddon! But..if's working on MI:3 then maybe that will be really good!!

You have to remember that screenplays are often a collaborative process in Hollywood and that often makes for a muddled result. The credits for Armageddon are as follows:

Writing credits (WGA):
Robert Roy Pool (story) and
Jonathan Hensleigh (story)

Tony Gilroy (adaptation) and
Shane Salerno (adaptation)

Jonathan Hensleigh (screenplay) and
Jeffrey Abrams (screenplay) (as J.J. Abrams)
(Thanks to the IMDb)

Therefore, to hand Mr Abrams the full credit (or blame) for the result is unfair. ;)
✌️

verdantheart said:
You have to remember that screenplays are often a collaborative process in Hollywood and that often makes for a muddled result. The credits for Armageddon are as follows:

Writing credits (WGA):
Robert Roy Pool  (story) and
Jonathan Hensleigh  (story)

Tony Gilroy  (adaptation) and
Shane Salerno  (adaptation)

Jonathan Hensleigh  (screenplay) and
Jeffrey Abrams  (screenplay) (as J.J. Abrams)
(Thanks to the IMDb)

Therefore, to hand Mr Abrams the full credit (or blame) for the result is unfair.  ;)
✌️
[post="966311"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Oh I know. You're definitely right. But... I fear... :thinking: I NEED MI:3 to be GOOD. NOT melodramatic and CERTAINLY not a romance. And I can so see JJ doing that... Ugg can you tell I am bitter @ JJ? If he 'Felicity'-ups MI:3 I will puke. :sick:

And from USA Today:

Director woos Tom Cruise with 'Alias'

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The new director of the third Mission: Impossible movie got the job by making Tom Cruise a fan of his TV show Alias. J.J. Abrams, who created the ABC spy series that stars Jennifer Garner, had a meeting with Cruise to discuss the upcoming Mission: Impossible sequel, but considered himself a long shot.

"I had a meeting with Mr. Cruise and I gave him the (first and second season) Alias DVDs. He'd never seen the show, and I thought, you know, 'He'll never watch it,'" Abrams said Wednesday. "I got a call a couple of months later and he had watched every episode."

After a long search, Paramount Pictures and Cruise's production company announced this week that Abrams was their choice to direct the third installment in the Mission: Impossible action-adventure series, which is a remake of a popular 1960s TV show.

'Alias has been in some ways preparation for what that will be," Abrams said of the movie. "If it hadn't been for the DVDs, I definitely wouldn't have the job."

He made the remarks at a presentation in Hollywood for the DVD of season three of Alias, which goes on sale Sept. 7.

The first Mission: Impossible movie came out in 1996 and was directed by Brian De Palma. John Woo directed Mission: Impossible II.

Cruise and Abrams plan to begin shooting the movie in summer 2005, after Cruise finishes working with Steven Spielberg on a new big-screen version of H.G. Wells' Martian-invasion saga The War of the Worlds."

Meanwhile, Abrams will finish work on the fourth season of Alias and the launch of his new ABC show, Lost, about a group of plane crash survivors stranded on an island populated by mysterious animals.

BTW,

Oh I know. You're definitely right. But... I fear... I NEED MI:3 to be GOOD. NOT melodramatic and CERTAINLY not a romance. And I can so see JJ doing that... Ugg can you tell I am bitter @ JJ? If he 'Felicity'-ups MI:3 I will puke. :sick:
From what he says (in another article), he likes the existing screenplay. So, if he uses that, any romance should be the screenwriter's fault. ;)

Back