Paranormal Odd Thomas (2013)

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: Odd Thomas

Tagline: I might see dead people... But then, by God, I do something about it.

Genre: Mystery, Thriller

Director: Stephen Sommers

Cast: Anton Yelchin, Addison Timlin, Willem Dafoe, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Nico Tortorella, Patton Oswalt, Kyle McKeever, Melissa Ordway, Leonor Varela, Shuler Hensley, Matthew Page, Morse Bicknell, Arnold Vosloo, Ashley Sommers, Laurel Harris, Rob Lawrence Brown, Maisha Diatta, Barney Lanning, Carmen Corley, Kyle T. Cowan, Nell Murphy, Robin Lanning, Jack Justice, Casey Messer, Jesus Mayorga, Talia Lanning, Andy Ryan, Kevin Wiggins, Kellie Matteson, Bryan Head, Jermaine Washington, Jimmy Romano, Saleem Watley, Laurence Chavez

Release: 2013-01-29

Runtime: 100

Plot: In a California desert town, a short-order cook with clairvoyant abilities encounters a mysterious man with a link to dark, threatening forces.
Odd Thomas (2013)

If anyone is a fan of writer Dean Koontz you should be familiar with this character. Koontz wrote eight books concerning Mr. Thomas, some are very good and others just so-so, but the movie was very well done, imho. The late Anton Yelchin in the title role of Oddie, (very well casted) with Willem Dafoe as the chief of police in the fictional town the flick takes place in. Yelchin has done his share of sci-fi, playing Kyle Reese in "Terminator, Salvation" and the young Checkov in the newer Star Trek movies.
Although this in particular movie would probably fall more into the "horror" genre, the book sequels definitely crossed into the sci-fi realm.
The story line is about a simple, every day, blue collar young man who has the ability to see ghosts of certain people who come to him for help in "crossing over", which sometimes includes Oddie helping to find their murderer. He also sees invisible creatures called Bodachs, which only appear when there is about to be a ton of human suffering, something these creatures feed off of.

Folks, if you have a couple of spare hours, I highly recommend this movie. You should be able to find it on Amazon or Netflix or some other platform. Yelchin's best role, and Dafoe is almost always good.

Being the computer illiterate human that I am, if anyone would be so kind as to download the trailer for this movie onto this site, I would be forever in their debt.

Even if one is not a big fan of Koontz, this is a movie worth watching........

"I am not afraid of Death. Course, I'm not ready to go on a date with him, either."

I like this film too.

here is a youtube audio book as well

You can also rent the film via youtube for $2.99

There's also a lo-quality youtube video of the film

Odd Thomas 2 audio book as well

and Forever Odd audio book

Forever Odd

'Odd Thomas' And The Historical Roots Of Bodachs - Unbound Worlds

1548572265982.png

View attachment 13891

View attachment 13892

Much obliged, Tom! IOU one....makes me desire to watch this again this weekend.

"They say we only use a fraction of our brain's true potential. Now that's when we're awake. When we're asleep, we can do almost anything."

I had the pleasure of reading the source books before watching the movie and rather enjoyed the movie to the point that I was disappointed that there was only one done. It was a little sad watching the movie though as I saw it after Anton Yelchin's death and couldn't help but think that he was posited to have a long acting career ahead of him.

It was a little sad watching the movie though as I saw it after Anton Yelchin's death and couldn't help but think that he was posited to have a long acting career ahead of him.
I recently rewatched this one and was left with the same thought, that Yelchin, especially after the Star Trek reboot, was poised to have a great career.

But it did make me think that it was time I revisit the source books to add to my reading queue.