Official HJ Forums..

How the heck do I navigate and reply to the threads there!? Any pointers, any of you experienced ones? I seem to just know how to randomly read some post or another..but the entire thing makes little sense to me.

I really think they need to find a way for different thread titles to show in a list as different threads..I'm guessing it's not like that maybe because they reached a limit on subgroups, but that means they should probably be making separate forums for their games..

The best way I found was making it so that it showed most recently updated-oldest or vice versa. Then collapse all of it so you can find what topic you want to quickly, then remember the post # if you want to un-collapse all of it, and go down to it. I've posted a couple of times there as DentonZ1

It is incredibly cumbersome to navigate Simutronics' official forums. I still don't understand why it hasn't been improved upon. I mean, even fansites have simple standardized forums, why can't Simutronics?

Another reason I dislike the official forums is how the account is setup when you register. Your screen name is your last name and your first initial. That's a huge problem for me as I'd rather not reveal more information than necessary to complete strangers. I suppose you can work around it by using a fake last name and first name but it should never have to be that way. Again, why won't Simutronics let users come up with their own screen name?

Well, I use my Play.net account that I've had since I started playing DR all those years ago. That is odd that they don't let you choose your own user name when just signing up for a forums account for posting.

I'm sure they've relayed their reasons for not changing, though what they are I can't recall! When HJ launches or when that time nears, it would be nice to invest in new forum software. I understand that right now they're focusing on the game and not on the forums, but forums are important as well.

Well, I use my Play.net account that I've had since I started playing DR all those years ago. That is odd that they don't let you choose your own user name when just signing up for a forums account for posting.

I'm sure they've relayed their reasons for not changing, though what they are I can't recall! When HJ launches or when that time nears, it would be nice to invest in new forum software. I understand that right now they're focusing on the game and not on the forums, but forums are important as well.

Ah, so if you subscribed to one of their games at some point, you were allowed to choose your own screenname?

I believe I read somewhere that they were planning to revamp the forums but that was months ago. I know I don't speak for everyone, but official forums where the devs/employees of the company communicate with the players are very important to me. It is one of the key reasons why I bailed on Vanguard.

Ah, so if you subscribed to one of their games at some point, you were allowed to choose your own screenname?

I believe I read somewhere that they were planning to revamp the forums but that was months ago. I know I don't speak for everyone, but official forums where the devs/employees of the company communicate with the players are very important to me. It is one of the key reasons why I bailed on Vanguard.

Aye, when you sign up for a subscription there's a field for desired account name.

I agree on the need for official forums. Even if devs post on fansite forums, a central, official place for people to congregate and get dev attention on issues is a major selling point on a game for a lot of people. It makes them feel like their opinions will actually mean something and that their concerns will get the attention they think they deserve.

You should have been able to change your name when you created an account. They just use the last name first initial random number thing as a suggestion.

I am Homeslice513 on there but I created a new account when I started DR on a trial and just used the name number thing. I am not too worried about someone seeing my name or part of my name because unless they hack the system or hack me or hack something then they wouldn't have any other information that could be useful but if they did hack they would have it all anyways.

And yeah they really need new forums. I kind of read on theirs and post every now and then but I hate how tough it is to find past posts and keep up on a thread if you catch it in the middle.

How to navigate the official forums:
1) Sign up and start looking around
2) Become incredibly disoriented, confused, dissatisfied
3) Figure that there has to be a better place
4) Discover Hero's Hall, sign up, and enjoy

I occasionally browse the official forums but just can't get over how difficult it is to find anything so I don't ever post there.

Yeah I can't find anything on the official forums.

And if they don't ever change them when HJ comes out, I'll still be coming HERE. :P

yes I'd have to agree. I tried looking at them and tried changing preferences etc quite some time ago. Before I knew about Hero's Hall even.

Glad I found this place instead.

You know - if they keep that format after HJ is released this place will be SWAMPED!!! with Official Forum Refugees.

True, which is definitely good for HH, but for Simu's sake, I hope they lean towards an upgrade. For HJ as well as their other games (DR please!!)

Well, if you look in the address field when you browse around on HJ official page you will see, as an example, that it end up with .asp (not .php like hero's hall).

That means (as far as my server knowledge goes) that simutronics use a windows based server, not a linux based. So all those fancy fansites around using the most common forum systems (we learned to like so much) is probably on linux servers.

So, what did we learn from this?
Well, first there are probably not much good and safe forum clients for windows servers around. Secondly, my guess is that simutronics made the forumclient (they use) them self and are to proud over it to change, or to lazy to make a new one. Or they dont want to risk erasing years of postings in a forum change....

So, If I had to pick, put all programmers to develop a new forum or to stay on the HJ project, the answer is simple...

and to end this post with some harsh words..
The discussions on the official forums are not always funny. Sometimes it almost tends to become "elitistic", and usually very technical. So, in my opinion, I would rather stay here. If we could drag Steph and some of the other developers to this place instead, everything would be perfect! :smiley:

Am I still allowed to complain about the official forums now that I am on staff? Hehe!! Probably not, but I have never cared for them. I am sure they will get an overhaul one day. Still, there are a select few out there who actually prefer that olde style BB format to the modern vBulletin/IGN style.

This isn't good at all..I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be billed for Dragon Realms and have to pay a fee by my bank, so I cancel that one subscription last night. Now, it seems they closed my entire account and wont let me reopen it without subscribing to one of the games.

If you are just looking for access so you can post in the Hero's Journey forums, you might call customer service and see if they can resolve it.

This isn't good at all..I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be billed for Dragon Realms and have to pay a fee by my bank, so I cancel that one subscription last night. Now, it seems they closed my entire account and wont let me reopen it without subscribing to one of the games.

Since your account is canceled, you can go here and sign up for another account. This one will let you post on the forums. Tis not tied to a subscription. I did this a few months before I reactivated my DR account.

Hope this helps.

Edit: You can't choose your account name, it becomes some combination of your last name and first initial I believe.

I managed to find a number and do so. I could have sworn I was only canceling my subscription, not the account... Maybe I need new glasses already. The site does seem to be having a few technical difficulties though.

Back