Old Gen Next Gen

Well it seems with the transition from MUD’s, to games like Ultima Online, to EQ1 and the like on to SWG and EQ2 that the gaming AND graphics card industry are poised to deliver the next generation of product…err.. I mean games.

The later part of this year and on into ‘07 will see new games with better graphics engines. Has the MMO market finally started using some of the newer untapped spices like Cinematic Lighting laying dormant on the newer graphics cards to accompany updated content? And one can’t help but wonder what the industry learned over that period of time about what gaming consumers want in an MMO.

With those two thoughts in mind I think HJ is on a better track with the gaming ideas expressed here on Heroes Hall’s main site. All the newer games will look better IMHO but HJ seems to be the only one with some unique play approaches and a robust character customization suite <Applauds the originality>

Your thoughts greatly appreciated

I'll bite. I base my opinions only on what I have seen through poor-to-mid quality video and screenshots of varying quality. I feel the graphics I've seen thus far, are not mind blowing and "amazing". I do, however, feel that the graphics are high quality. Simu announced they'll be utilizing Aegia's PhysX engine for various effects, and from what I've seen... the game looks to run smooth on a machine I would guess to be fairly decent.

Has Simu tried to grab at what MMO fanatics want? They're trying. They have the Hero's Council comprised of various guild leaders of various guilds, In-house and remote GM's helping to put together the game, they're a long time player in the MMO market, and they contribute, reply and read various forums like MMORPG.com and this one. I have no doubt that they have their "feelers" out trying to gauge what players want... and lately, it seems to me people want more content, more RP opportunities, than just grinding away.

All issues aside, as discussed elsewhere here on Hero's Hall... I still feel HJ will be an awesome game, with awesome graphics, awesome physics, and awesome play.

~ Jaraeth

In past MMORPG's the world's have remained mostly bare. If you take a look at games like Lineage 2 which surpass 95% of MMORPG's their isn't much detail when it comes to the world. When you walk into a so called forest, you don't feel as if you are in a forest. Even games like WoW which are rich in detail they still don't do a good job of putting you in the area, or situation. Most areas are open, and bare put aside the few brushes, and the occasional trees.

Hero's Journey on the other hand has actually corrected this, and that is where I find the beauty in Hero's Journey. From the swamps, to a city. You feel immersed in that area, and feel as if you are actually there. Whereas in games like FFXI, and EQ2 the zones are dull, and repetative with still mostly open areas.

I used to think I was a pure eyecandy type gamer. I still am to a degree, but having played many online games, I'd rather have graphics that aren't the latest or best in order to have gameplay and a world that is interesting.

So long as the graphics don't strain my suspension of disbelief I don't really care how the game looks. Thankfully HJ folks are going over and above that to deliver a game that looks awesome.

So.... are we there yet?

Originally posted by frostydf2@Jun 25 2006, 04:11 AM
When you walk into a so called forest, you don't feel as if you are in a forest. Even games like WoW which are rich in detail they still don't do a good job of putting you in the area, or situation. Most areas are open, and bare put aside the few brushes, and the occasional trees.
Good point, most of what is presented as a forest is more like a city park. Would a large real forest work in a game? A forest where your visual range is a few meters, and large enough to get lost in.

Originally posted by Jaraeth@Jun 24 2006, 09:46 PM
... and lately, it seems to me people want more content, more RP opportunities, than just grinding away.

~ Jaraeth

Yeah I agree with that J. I think the fact that Simu ran those MUDs is gonna give them a huge edge in the RP aspect of things. Not the aspect of keeping a character in character like acting etc... but moreso the line of charcter development in game seems like its gonna have a different 'feel' of immersion. It sounds like more of a character 'growth' as opposed to linear and constant level popping.

Originally posted by frostydf2@Jun 24 2006, 11:11 PM
In past MMORPG's the world's have remained mostly bare. If you take a look at games like Lineage 2 which surpass 95% of MMORPG's their isn't much detail when it comes to the world. When you walk into a so called forest, you don't feel as if you are in a forest.

You remind me of this one tree in the early days of SWG just outsie of a town called Kadaara. It was supposed to have leaves falling as you ran past it. Well they put farr too many leaves in so you would lag something horrid as you ran past it.

Foilage and its wind movement seems a HUGE strain on a graphics card which may be why there were so may barren areas in so many games? They finally reduce to number of leaves falling and people cheered all over the place.

Reminds me of EQ when Kunark was the latest greatest. This one are in the Dreadlands had lovely fall foilage, leaves falling in the wind, you could hear the wind blowing, and now and then it would snow lightly. Loved that area.

The only time I felt slightly Immersed in WoW was in Duskwood.

They got the dark right, but I hated the stupid 2D foliage on the trees and bushes.

It totally threw me out of what little (very little) Immersion was there.

And since this is an MMORPG I hope there will be lots and lots of me losing myself in game.

JonDDA, I've read your recent interesting posts and it seems you are a little burned out on cookie cutter games and other game problems that never seem to get fixed, like some of us other long time gamers.

I am sick and tired of the crappity felgercarb felgercarb that is the current game "standard"

This is why I am longing and waiting for HJ.

I want options in all aspects of games. I want fun, I want immersion.

The only time I've really "lost myself" is in books, I just get completely sucked in by the story, I want HJ to be like that.

I understand that desire, believe me I do, as do my friends. And it's also why I tend to get overheated when something is mentioned for HJ that doesn't seem to "fit" for me, meaning fit the fun vision that HJ announced.

Originally posted by Eve@Jun 25 2006, 04:39 PM
I understand that desire, believe me I do, as do my friends. And it's also why I tend to get overheated when something is mentioned for HJ that doesn't seem to "fit" for me, meaning fit the fun vision that HJ announced.
Here here!

~ Jaraeth

I think the only game I truely ever lost myself in was Lineage 2, and it was only for a little while. I just enjoyed the PvP so much, and the entire Pledge vs Pledge idea. I really got into it when it was our guild vs. the server.

I think the main issue for lag in EQ2 for lag was their lighting system and for SWG, it was the particles, i.e.; lasers, lightsabers, explosions, engines, etc. Btoh lighting and particles are two of latest advances in graphics in games today and I guess they figured they needed those to make them look the best but in the end it hurt the performance unless you had a monster of a PC. The point is, as was hit on before in thread and I agree, that "looks aren't everything", its whats on the inside that matters to me. Namely the inside is the content, the storyline, gameplay. For example, even though Horizons graphics are not the best by any means, I love the BG music, the detailed crafting system and expansive world to explore or at least the concept of exploring since my characters arent "uber" enough to survive exploring everywhere just yet, lol. Good graphics are important, but not the end all to making a great game.

Back