Old Man in Burlap?

raym8

Cadet
Hi all - I'm a new member. I'd like to start by asking a question!

I've been trying to remember for years the title of a book I read some time in the late 70s.

It opened with the description of an old man, dressed only in a burlap loincloth slowing approaching from the distance through a desert heat haze.

Not much to go on - but fairly unusual! Does this ring a bell with any member? many many thanks!

Raym8, welcome to Cool Sci-Fi! (y)

Any more of the story line you recall? Was it horror? Sci-Fi? Non-Fiction? Past, present, future timeline?

Thanks for the welcome Kevin!

Well, it was definitely sci-fi, set in the future, alien world (possibly).

Sorry to be so vague. One thing I'm definite about is the word 'burlap', which you don't come across very often in a day's march.

It was a very vivid opening passage. The tiny figure in the distance , distorted by the heat haze, getting gradually closer.

Here's hoping I haven't dreamt the whole blasted thing!!

regards,
Ray

I believe you were reading "A Canticle for Leibowitz" by Walter M. Miller Jr. (1959). The opening chapter has a scene like what you have described...

I believe you were reading "A Canticle for Leibowitz" by Walter M. Miller Jr. (1959). The opening chapter has a scene like what you have described...
I just took a look at the Wikipedia entry for it and it certainly sounds like it would open with that scene! :cool:

I have not read that particular novel yet. Thanks to this thread I shall be adding it to my reading list. (y)

Thank you rjslingshot - you've got it! As soon as you mentioned the title, it rang an immediate bell

Thank you also Kevin - much appreciated.

Now to get the book....

Hmmm...what a curious book. That opening reminds me of a dream that I had a long time ago when I was a very young child and was just introduced to Luke Skywalker walking through the desert heat haze of Tattooie.

Back