Olin Turns Down Alias

M

Marlene

From E! Online-

"Alias" Mom Gets Lost--Again

by Joal Ryan
Nov 14, 2003, 3:40 PM PT

It looks like Alias' Sydney has lost more than two years' worth of memories.

Lena Olin, who played Jennifer Garner's KGB agent mom last season on the ABC spy show, has opted to not return as the mysterious maternal unit.

"After doing everything we possibly could including meeting the agents' requests, Lena ultimately decided it wasn't the right time for her to return to the show," creator/executive producer J.J. Abrams said in a statement released by ABC Friday.

A call seeking comment from Olin's publicist was not immediately returned.

E! Online TV columnist Kristin Veitch reported last month that Alias producers "tried desperately" to book Olin for "multiple episodes," but that attempts reportedly had been thwarted by money issues.

According to the new TV Guide, Olin asked for "Sharon Stone-type" dollars, a reference to the reputed $100,000-an-episode rate Stone quoted for her three-episode arc last month on ABC's The Practice. But per the magazine, not even Olin's salary requests scared off Alias's top agents.

Despite Olin's reluctance to return, Abrams said the show is "hopeful that it will work out in the future."

Also not giving up: The Alias fans behind BringBackLena.com. As its name plainly states, the Website, launched last month, wants Olin back on the show--stat. According to the site, fans aim to take their appeal to the Hollywood Reporter next month in the form of an ad. As of Friday, 66 people had pledged $2438.75 of the $3,300 needed for the ad.

Alias was the 47-year-old Swedish-born star's first TV series work. Forays into Hollywood Homicide aside, Olin is best known for grown-up dramas such as Enemies: A Love Story and Night Falls on Manhattan.

On Alias, she showed off her bungee-cord-jumping style as "The Man," aka Irina Derevko, long-lost mother of Garner's Sydney Bristow.

Olin bowed on Alias' second-season opener in September 2002. Although she greeted her daughter with a hail of hot lead, Irina and Sydney actually went on to bond. Mother was last seen in May's season finale, bounding off a building top, with bungee cord in hand.

That episode was a turning point for the show. Garner's agent Sydney woke up in Hong Kong, two years older, but none the wiser (she and viewers were left in the dark about the missing months); and, Bradley Cooper's journalist Will Tippin got stabbed. While Tippin survived, Cooper wasn't brought back as a regular. He will, however, appear on the December 7 episode, ABC said. Also guesting in that installment: Merrin Dungey, now on recurring status after two solid years of playing Syd's best friend Francie and Francie's genetic double Allison.

Amid the cast turnover, and despite Garner's tabloid-tracked romance with costar Michael Vartan, Alias is averaging 9.3 million viewers for the season to date, slightly below ABC's network average of 9.6 million.

From Sci-Fi Wire-

Olin Turns Down Alias
12:00pm ET, 14-November-03

Lena Olin has turned down a deal to reprise the role of Jennifer Garner's nefarious mom, Irina Derevko, on ABC's spy drama Alias, TV Guide Online reported. That's despite the fact that, as a source close to the negotiations told the site, "every single one of her demands were met by ABC and the producers."

Olin reportedly asked for "Sharon Stone-type money," referring to the unprecedented $100,000-per-episode salary Stone pulled in for her recent Practice guest appearance, the source told TV Guide Online. ABC declined to comment, as did Olin's representatives.

Alias executive producer J.J. Abrams is holding out hope that Olin will be back. "[Irina] remains a critical piece of the puzzle," he told the site.

From NY Post-

You want how much? Actress Lena Olin, who played Sydney's (Jennifer Garner) mom on "Alias," declined to return for another season - despite producers meeting her $100,000-per-episode demands, according to TV Guide.

TV Guide Online:

MOM'S AWAY:
Alias villainess Lena Olin seems to be taking her role as Jennifer Garner's absentee mom, Irina Derevko, a little too literally. As reported in the new issue of TV Guide magazine, the actress nixed a deal to return this season despite the fact that, as a source close to the negotiations puts it, "every single one of her demands were met by ABC and the producers." Among her initial requests: "Sharon Stone-type money," says an insider, referring to the unprecedented $100,000-per-episode salary the Basic Instinct star reportedly pulled in for her recent Practice stint. ABC declined to comment, as did Olin's camp, but Alias exec producer J.J. Abrams is holding out hope that Olin will be back. "[Irina] remains a critical piece of the puzzle." Albeit an expensive one. For more "TV News" scoop — including exclusive dish on Las Vegas and Malcolm in the Middle — pick up the new issue of TV Guide, on sale Monday.

Oh from what I read in this thread I hope they are not saying that Lena Olin is greedy and that is why she might not return to Alias. I thought I read somewhere it was because she didn't want to leave her son in Sweden!!! :rolleyes:

Well I think it is a good point that Alias has helped all the major stars get roles in Movies and elsewhere so it is really in Ms. Olin's best interest to stay part of ALIAS' cast -- even if it is limited such as 9 episodes done at once but spread-out through the season.

And if, she doesn't not return: (n)

I have been saying this before she is not the only actress in the world replace her with another very good actress to play "Irina", "Spy Mom"!!! I know it is a lot to live-up to Lena Olin's image of Spy Mom but there are tons of Actresses out in the World that would love to have the part -- I have no doubt!!! Someone like a Michelle Pfeiffer or Nicole Kidman type 40s -- 50s and very physically fit -- that could do the marital art stunts!!! ;) (y) (y) (y) :cool:

Enjoy your evening! :D

Lynne

Lynne said:
I have been saying this before she is not the only actress in the world replace her with another very good actress to play "Irina", "Spy Mom"!!! I know it is a lot to live-up to Lena Olin's image of Spy Mom but there are tons of Actresses out in the World that would love to have the part -- I have no doubt!!! Someone like a Michelle Pfeiffer or Nicole Kidman type 40s -- 50s and very physically fit -- that could do the marital art stunts!!! ;) (y) (y) (y) :cool:
I think that would be the absolute worst thing that could ever happen to the show, and very possibly the only thing that would make me stop watching. It's not just that Lena Olin is such a great actress; I agree, many actresses are good. But she inhabited the role; she portrayed the character in such a subtle, nuanced, perfect way that nobody else will ever be believable as Irina Derevko.

I pray that JJ Abrams and Co. are too smart to ever go that route. I think the fan backlash would be unprecedented. I mean, switching Beckys on Roseanne is one thing, but this isn't a sitcom. The character is such an original, dynamic creation, and so integral to the heart of the show.. To me, seeing somebody besides Lena Olin in that role would be too excruciating to watch. I just hope that she comes around and decides to return eventually.

Lynne said:
Oh from what I read in this thread I hope they are not saying that Lena Olin is greedy and that is why she might not return to Alias. I thought I read somewhere it was because she didn't want to leave her son in Sweden!!! :rolleyes:
No, Lena Olin lives in N.Y. and she have a 7 year old daughter, so i'm thinking that's one of the main reasons. ;) though it is very sad that Lena won't come back :(
--Mandy :angelic:

Lynne said:
Hey, Alias is not a soap, u don't replace actors like that !

Ok i'm not very objective cuz i love Lena so much (and well before Alias) but can't u see that she gave so much herself in this part? Can u imagine a Michelle or a Nicole as good as they can be (and even if i don't like them), as Irina Derevko? I can't, sorry.

But i think JJ would never done such a thing and would prefer Irina out of the screen rather than any replacement.

I'm in a great despair, but, well, it's Lena's choice, busy woman, busy mummy...

Well I can see you all feel strongly about it. And I like Lena Olin, as Spy Mom, too. But if every demand has been met and she refuses to return it has got to be a personal reason such as a child and family etc. Or she doesn't like something about the ALIAS script! It is a shame for by your reasoning you like to see such a good plot story line as Spy Mom end or without a physical person shown on the show rather than see a replacement actress which show producers sometimes do when an actor or actress leaves the show either for death or other reasons!!!

Unfortunately the "BringLenaOlin" fans won't be able to bring her back with advertisements for it isn't JJ Abrams and the producers of ALIAS' fault if Lena Olin isn't returning because of meeting her demands -- it is her personal choice of Lena's for some other reason that she is not returning to the ALIAS set!!!

Well I guess we just have to see what happens! I too hope that Lena Olin sees the wisdom of being part of the ALIAS family cast team and returns!!! It helps all the major actors and actresses with movie roles so maybe she will see that as an incentive to return! We will all hope for the best! :smiley:

Have a nice Sunday! :D

Lynne

OK, so they are not giving up! I think that it is really sad they can't come to an agreement. But i agree that replacing Lena is out of the question. There is no way to explain that so they would have to go on like nothing happened and that NEVER works out. It would be better just to never has "Spy mom" return. But it looks like JJ isn't giving up so there is still hope.

Azalea said:
I think that would be the absolute worst thing that could ever happen to the show, and very possibly the only thing that would make me stop watching.  It's not just that Lena Olin is such a great actress; I agree, many actresses are good.  But she inhabited the role; she portrayed the character in such a subtle, nuanced, perfect way that nobody else will ever be believable as Irina Derevko.

I pray that JJ Abrams and Co. are too smart to ever go that route.  I think the fan backlash would be unprecedented.  I mean, switching Beckys on Roseanne is one thing, but this isn't a sitcom. The character is such an original, dynamic creation, and so integral to the heart of the show.. To me, seeing somebody besides Lena Olin in that role would be too excruciating to watch.  I just hope that she comes around and decides to return eventually.
I agree, I would hate to have Irina recast! I think that if JJ can't get her back for this season, then he should definitely NOT replace her. Alias just wouldn't be the same. I hope Lena Olin can come back eventually, if not this season, then next season maybe.

Marlene said:
Alias was the 47-year-old Swedish-born star's first TV series work.
Does anyone else think its weird that she quit when she is 47?

Added the TV Guide Online blurb . . .

One word: damn. :(

However, from what I've seen at this site, people are too quick to forgive Ms Olin and too quick to indict the producers. From what I see here, Ms Olin really didn't want to return to the role and wasn't taking yes for an answer--and she's not even really giving the producers a chance to write her out of the series--just a couple of weeks work! That really is unfair to the series, her colleagues, and not least of all her fans. I think her son could manage without her--or with less contact--for a week or two. I think she may be overly influenced by her friends who think that TV is a gauche and worthless medium. Shame on them, and shame on her if listening to such opinions is her reason for turning down the role. (Particularly when this TV role has been credited with "reviving" her career . . .)
:angry:

Perhaps they should have gone with a lesser actress who would have been good--perhaps not quite as good--but at least someone that they could have depended upon to be available when they needed her! If you can get the best actress in the world for your movie, what good is she if she's only there for half the movie?

Rant over. I wish her well, but I wish she would think of her fans and allow Alias to at least complete her arc with some grace and finesse.
:(

KateJones47 said:
Marlene said:
Not quite understanding this. She just quit Alias, not acting.
;)

Does this mean that she will return eventually, or that she's quit alias for good...because their gonna have a hard job fitting her sudden disappearence into the plot, unless she dies for good this time.

verdantheart said:
KateJones47 said:
Marlene said:
Not quite understanding this. She just quit Alias, not acting.
;)
I know she only quit Alias. I just think it's kind of weird that she quit Alias (which has the number 47 popping up everywhere) when she is 47! ^_^

AHHHH!!! *tears out hair* I don't need to say nething! everybody is saying everything for me! and vh is right! it is unfair! I mean, Irina jumped of a fricken building and yeah, syd was having a spaz attack like someone said! now, lena just quit! QUIT! when we have a major spoiler! im's aren't good enough! if she didn't wanna stay then at least be written out! like vh said! vh said a lotta things for me... thanks... urgh! I WON'T GIVE UP! I have already donated to the Bring Back Lena! Bring Back Lena is in my sig on aa and for e-mail! LENA COME BAAAAAAAACK!!!!

oh, and isn't her son 15? I know her daughter is 7 but if her son is 15 I don't really see the problem on the son but yeah for the daughter. urgh!

ALIAS ISN'T ALIAS WITHOUT SPY MOMMY!!!!!!!

oh, i hope i don't seem selfish but i do understand her situation. i really do. i'm just too lazy to type.. haha

I totally agree with VH. Olin is being selfish and unfair. She never should have made a commitment to the series if she wasn't going to allow her character's role to be played through.

I'm not saying to devote her life to the series, i'm just asking for some closure. And I think that's a pretty reasonable expectation.

verdantheart said:
...people are too quick to forgive Ms Olin and too quick to indict the producers. From what I see here, Ms Olin really didn't want to return to the role and wasn't taking yes for an answer--and she's not even really giving the producers a chance to write her out of the series--just a couple of weeks work! That really is unfair to the series, her colleagues, and not least of all her fans.

I think her son could manage without her--or with less contact--for a week or two. I think she may be overly influenced by her friends who think that TV is a gauche and worthless medium. Shame on them, and shame on her if listening to such opinions is her reason for turning down the role. (Particularly when this TV role has been credited with "reviving" her career . . .)
:angry:

Perhaps they should have gone with a lesser actress who would have been good--perhaps not quite as good--but at least someone that they could have depended upon to be available when they needed her! If you can get the best actress in the world for your movie, what good is she if she's only there for half the movie?

Rant over. I wish her well, but I wish she would think of her fans and allow Alias to at least complete her arc with some grace and finesse.
:(
I totally agree with you! Actors are paid a lot of money for a small amount of work. I think they have a responsibility to the project and the fans to at least agree to come back long enough to be written out properly.

I think it takes about eight days to shoot an episode. $100,000.00 for eight days work. I can't believe she can't find a way to make that sacrifice. That really sucks. The fans are the ones who suffer.

And it's not like it's a poorly written show from which an actor might want to distance themselves. I wonder if a condescending attitude toward the medium of television really does have anything to do with it.

If she doesn't come back, I will be a former Lena Olin fan. I think she is being very selfish. I know she has kids, but it doesn't look like it's stopping her from filming movies. I really don't understand why she's refusing to at least come back for a few episodes to conclude her story arc. :angry:

I believe that replacing Lena Olin's character on alias would be very unwise. Its like giving the role of Sydney bristow to someone else besides JG! Totally impossible! I was thinking about this situation earlier (SP) and realized if they don't bring Lena back its gonna suck, because we the viewers have been left hanging and I agree that her character is crucial to the show. For heaven sake! her character knows way too much about everything!
I just hope lena's not a prick in real life, I like to find the goodf in people though, so I am going to think the better and believe she couldn't return for a really good reason.

lena has to come back. it's good for ALIAS and for her career. it got her an emmy nomination for pete's sake. it's such a strong, smart role. and actresses often complain that there aren't enough of those on tv. maybe they should offer her a part as a regular cast member for the entire run of the series. that might tempt her. it could be easier to accept in regards to her daughter because then she would be in the same place with steady work for a guaranteed amount of time.

i still have faith that she'll come back eventually. and hopefully for the entire run of ALIAS.

and as for those of you who are talking about replacing lena as irina with another actress, i say "bite your tongue!!!" that's a terrible idea. she would look completely different, and lets face it, lena is one of a kind. it's simply not an option.

Back