On The Nile

Title: On The Nile
Genre: Historical S/V
Summary: Sydney finds herself in Ancient Egypt and runs into the Prince...

Chapter 1

“I’ll see you tomorrow Gary.” Sydney Bristow called to the night watchman as she left the museum. She had been working there for almost three years and she loved her job. She found history to be fascinating and wanted to spread that view with the people who came to the museum. She always told her tour groups that ‘to have a future, you must know your past’. More than once, Sydney had been complimented on the passion she had for teaching students about history when they came in for field trips.

The only thing she didn’t like about her life was the loneliness. Working so often meant less time to hang out with friends or be able to see someone. She missed seeing some of her friends, but she always seemed to have to work. It was okay with her though because she enjoyed her time at the museum.

Opening the door to her walkup apartment, Sydney sighed at the fact that the hallway’s power seemed to be out again. Being a tour guide at the museum didn’t give her that much money to buy a fancy apartment, but she compromised that since this was close to work and she was able to sleep in in the morning.

“Oh, Sydney dear,” Her across-the-hall neighbor called as she was getting out her keys to open the door. “I was wondering if you would mind taking out my trash again this week?”

“Sure, Mrs. Gruber.” Sydney smiled. She hated having to do chores for someone else, but knew that her neighbor could hurt herself if she tried to carry something heavy down the steps. Mrs. Gruber was getting up there in age and Sydney tried to help whenever she was asked.

“I told you to call me Helen.” She smiled back.

“Okay, goodnight Helen.” Sydney said as she let herself into her apartment.

Setting down her briefcase on the inside of the door, she kicked off her heels and unbuttoned her suit jacket. She loved the museum, but often her hours made her exhausted by the time she got home.

She was too tired to pick up a book, so she turned on her laptop instead. As she waited for it to load, she changed into her pajamas and sat on top of the covers of her bed. When her desktop finally loaded, a note popped up reminding her to research a new display for the museum. Groaning, she remembered why she hadn’t taken her laptop to work.

Typing her search into Google, she scanned the pages tiredly. Minutes ticked by before she noticed it was past midnight.

She rolled her eyes, not wanting to spend another all-nighter on work stuff. Sometimes her workload seemed like more than anyone could handle. Seeing all the activities and down time the ancient Egyptians had during the festival she was researching, she wished she could have been alive back then. Things seemed so much easier back in the past, before computers and cell phones and bills.

Sighing, she turned off her laptop and curled up under the covers to get some much-deserved rest.

TBC...

o wow i love historical fics!
there so needs to be more
this looks great cant wait to see who the prince is :P
update really soon
can i get a pm?

Chapter 2

Sydney awoke slowly, having not heard her alarm go off. She reached over to see if it was still there and her hand landed on something that felt like dirt.

She opened her eyes quickly, wondering what was going on. She was met with a dark room and she felt an uncomfortable mat underneath her. It certainly wasn’t her apartment.

She tried to get her eyes to adjust to the light and found her surroundings to be no more than a small room that looked as if it had been cut out of dirt.

Hearing voices coming from somewhere outside the small door to her right, Sydney carefully stepped down from the strange bed-like thing. She noticed she was dressed in an itchy dress that felt like a potato bag on her skin.

“Who is she?” Someone whispered.

“I don’t know.” Another woman replied, “I just found her outside this morning.”

“Does she look familiar?”

“No, I’ve never seen her before. She’s really pale; I think something might be wrong with her.”

“How could you bring a sick person into our house, mom?” The other woman replied. “What if she’s a leper?”

“Excuse me,” Sydney finally walked into the room. Both the women’s eyes were immediately drawn to her. One looked younger than the other and Sydney assumed she could be the daughter of the older woman. Their faces were similar and their skin was very tan. “What’s going on?” Sydney asked confused, as she noticed dirt walls also surrounded the room she was in now as well.

“You don’t remember?” The older woman asked.

“No, what happened?” Sydney asked.

“I don’t know for sure, but I found you passed out by the front door.”

“Oh.” Sydney ran a hand through her hair. “Can you tell me what day it is? The last thing I remember was going to bed, but this isn’t my apartment.”

“What’s an apartment?” The older woman whispered to the younger one, who shrugged in response.

“I’m not sure what you’re talking about, but I have to go to work or else I’ll be late.” The younger one said.

“Oh my god, work!” Sydney grimaced. She didn’t know where she was, how long she had been gone, or even who these people were. She was certain her boss would be worried or at least mad when she hadn’t shown up.

“At least she remembers something,” The younger one said flippantly.

“Be nice,” He mother chastised, “Why don’t you help… what’s your name, dear?”

“Sydney.” She answered.

“Why don’t you walk with Sydney to work?” She suggested to the other woman who looked annoyed.

“Fine,” She replied, leading the way out of the room. Sydney thought they might go out a hallway or something and was surprised when they ended up on what appeared to be the street. When her eyes adjusted to the bright sunlight, Sydney saw that dust and dirt was everywhere and people were walking around, completely oblivious to the things around them. Sydney took in all the tan skinned and similarly dressed people.

Noticing the younger woman was already walking away, Sydney called out to her above the crowd, “Hey! Wait up!”

“I’m Nadia, by the way.” She introduced herself as they were walking. Sydney’s feet hurt from walking on the hard dirt, but Nadia seemed to be unaffected by it.

“If you don’t mind me asking, where are we?” Sydney asked as a few large animals walked by.

“You must have really hit your head,” Nadia replied, “You’re in Egypt.”

TBC...
Pm List
Javita
grassyass
texasalias2004
gtwallichs
mnkdance963
SpygirlAmy
vaughnshoney
Michael_Vartan_Hottie
blknight