On The Nile

yer i think michael vaughn would be the only thing better then starbucks
im so gonna laugh if like someone on his royal commitee sees syd and vaughn together
itd b classic!

haha JSF... lol i dont even like starbucks :P

Chapter 12

“Morning,” Sydney yawned the next day. Waking up in Michael’s arms was the best feeling she had ever experienced and she knew she wanted to do it more often. “How did you sleep?”

“Great, with you here.” Michael smiled.

“How’s your fever?” Sydney put her hand on his forehead and felt that it was still warm, but not as much as the day before. Sleeping between cotton sheets was definitely better than the dirt bed in Irina’s house. She smiled before climbing out of bed and stretching.

“Are you hungry?” Michael asked, sitting up and leaning against the headboard.

“A little, I think I’m gonna go find the kitchen and see if I can make something.” Sydney said as she walked towards the door.

“There are servants for that, you know.” Michael reminded her.

“I know.” Sydney smiled and closed the door behind her.

“Okay, so,” Sydney pushed open the door an hour later. Michael had wondered if she had gotten lost and was almost ready to go looking for her. “I found some bread, and some strange soup stuff. The cooks just looked at me like I was crazy when I started making it myself.” Sydney laughed and set the tray on the end of the bed.

“You didn’t have to go through so much trouble.” Michael replied, taking some of the bread and eating it.

“I do it at home all the time.” Sydney waved it off.

“Where I was yesterday?” Michael asked, remembering she had said she wasn’t from around there.

“No… far far away.” Sydney sighed, missing her home. She was having a good time in Egypt, but she wanted to go home. The only problem was how to get there. She also knew she’d miss Michael if she left.

“Tell me about it?” Michael requested.

“It’s a long story… I should be leaving though, they’re probably wondering where I am.” Sydney said sadly, finishing her food and standing from the bed. She looked back at Michael and something in her heart thumped. She had already admitted to herself that she liked him, but she couldn’t allow herself to fall for him. They lived thousands of years apart on separate continents; it would never work.

“Oh, alright. When will I see you again?” Michael asked as he watched her walk away.

“I don’t know.” Sydney admitted, her hand on the door. She couldn’t make herself look back for fear that her heart couldn’t take it. She felt like she was leaving for good. Once she got home, Irina and Nadia would probably never let her leave again. A single tear rolled down her cheek as she stepped out of the room and found her way back to where she was supposed to be.

“Where were you last night?” Irina asked sternly when Sydney walked in the door.

“I got called to the palace.” Sydney replied listlessly.

“Didn’t I tell you not to go back there?” Irina scolded.

“I didn’t really have a choice; one of Michael’s guards came to get me.” Sydney defended, feeling like a teenager being caught staying out all night.

“Michael? Didn’t I tell you to call the Prince by his formal title? You are full of nothing but disrespect and impurity.” Irina yelled.

“It’s my life; I can do what I want with it!” Sydney replied, insulted.

“Fine, if you want to spend your life being a whore, go ahead. Just get out of my house.” Irina declared firmly.

“But I have nowhere else to go…” Sydney pleaded.

“That’s not my problem anymore.”

TBC...

Sorry, I haven't been able to leave replies.
I also won't have a chance to leave proper replies for a little while.
Just know that I am reading, I just can't leave a proper reply.

Thanks

sorry for the wait, been busy with Challenge Site stuff

Chapter 13

Sydney looked back at the dirt house she used to live in as she walked away. She tried to tell herself that she would be better off without them imposing their rules on her, but she was still sad. She had nowhere to go and she didn’t know how she was going to get her next meal. She was homeless in a foreign country where people thought she was a leper. Life couldn’t get very much worse.

Sydney found herself at the river’s edge, her toes in the soft sand. While the river didn’t have a large beach, it seemed at least eight feet wide. Sydney sat in the sand close to the water, hugging her knees to her chest. Silent tears rolled their way down her cheeks as she gazed upon the spot where she and Michael had played only yesterday. It felt as though so much had happened in those short twenty-four hours. She had spent the night with Michael, only to come home and be kicked out for it. She knew nothing had happened at the Palace, but Irina didn’t believe her.

She felt like some crazy person, sitting on the beach in ancient Egypt crying about the Prince. Sydney surely wouldn’t have believed it if someone else told her this was where she would end up. Her life had been turned upside down and she didn’t know how to fix it.

Sydney wiped away her tears and her eyes were drawn to the palace steps. She could just barely make them out in the distance above the houses, but she thought she saw someone sitting on them. Not believing her eyes, Sydney stood up and her legs unconsciously pulled her in that direction. Soon she found herself running at full speed towards the palace, not caring when she stumbled, with only one goal in her mind; Michael.

“Sydney,” Michael gasped when he saw her running up the steps towards him. “You came back.”

“You… can’t… get rid… of me… that easy.” Sydney panted, catching her breath. She smiled up at him and he smiled back, making up for everything.

“Were you crying?” Michael asked, standing up and stepping closer to her.

“It’s nothing,” Sydney lied. “I just got kicked out of my house.”

“Why?” Michael asked, following Sydney as she sat down on the steps.

“’Cause of you.” Sydney admitted, looking at the ground.

“Really?” Michael further questioned. “They didn’t like you being around me?”

“They said I was being a whore.” Sydney blushed.

“But nothing happened.” Michael insisted.

“I know; they didn’t believe me.” Sydney sighed.

“Do you want me to go talk to them? I’m sure they’d take you back in if it was an order…”

“No, it’s okay, I was overstaying my welcome anyway.” Sydney replied, brushing the hair out of her face.

“You could stay here.” Michael suggested quietly. He didn’t know why he suggested it, but something in his heart told him to.

“What would people think?” Sydney said bitterly. “Front page news: Whore Lives With Prince!” She shook her head, knowing he wouldn’t understand. She was torn between her feelings for him and her circumstances. She couldn’t fall for him if she could go back any minute. She couldn’t let herself get hurt. She felt guilty about stringing him along. If she fell for him and he reciprocated those feelings, she wouldn’t be the only one hurt when she left.

“Please don’t cry.” Michael pleaded when a few tears slipped from her eyes.

“I just… I want to go home, but I don’t want to leave you.” Sydney buried her face in his chest and cried. Not being accustomed to this position, Michael nervously ran a hand through her hair trying to comfort her.

“I’m sorry I made you cry, I just didn’t want you wandering the streets.” Michael apologized.

“Can I really stay here?” Sydney wiped the tears from her eyes and looked up into his.

“Sure.” Michael nodded.

“Thank you.” Sydney whispered, kissing his cheek and snuggling back into his chest with a smile on her face. Sitting there with Michael watching another sunset, Sydney couldn’t help but remember the old saying ‘it is better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all’.

TBC...

Back