On The Nile

... hey Sierra .. you never did tell you posted it!

looks good so far also an interesting setting you come up with! cannot wait to read more!

Winifred is gonna be added to the pm list wether she wants to or not and will there for be forced to review :devil: :smiley:
and tubby too! welcome aboard!

Chapter 4

“What seems to be the problem?” Someone asked.

“This woman took an unauthorized break.” The man explained. Sydney saw another man, dressed slightly better than the guard, and another, more brightly dressed behind them. Her eyes connected with the man off to the side and she could see he was feeling sorry for her. She didn’t ask to be whipped. She didn’t want anyone’s pity and pushed herself to her knees. Her back still stung slightly, but she knew she could handle it.

Michael looked at the poor girl who was slowly standing back up. She was strangely pale and he wondered if something was wrong with her. He understood why the guard had whipped her, but he couldn’t blame her for wanting to sit down; he knew he’d never survive out there.

“Is that all?” Michael asked the guard, who bowed before him, when he saw who he was.

“She also talked back, your highness.” He accused, acting like it physically hurt him to be insulted. He refrained from laughing, though, knowing the guard would be insulted.

“I did no such thing!” She finally spoke, glaring at the guard and standing all the way back up. Michael stepped forward further to get a better look at her.

“It’s ok.” He said soothingly, trying to calm her down.

“No, it’s not.” She replied harshly. She seemed not to know whom she was talking to. He had never been talked to in such a harsh tone before and wondered if she had a death wish. “This asshole had no right to hit me. I was just sitting down, it’s not like I was doing anything wrong.”

“Asshole?” Michael asked, wondering what a donkey had to do with this.

“Ugh! You people are just so stupid.” She rolled her eyes and Michael thought she was going to faint.

“Are you okay?” He asked, staring intently into her brown eyes.

“What the hell?” She looked at him strangely.

“You’re eyes; they almost rolled back into your head. Do you need to see a doctor?” He persisted.

“No, you dipshit. It’s called rolling your eyes. It’s a gesture… like when you’re annoyed that people don’t understand you.” She tried to explain and he was still confused on some of her words. He wondered where this woman had migrated from and what language she was speaking. He had certainly never heard it before.

“How about you take the rest of the day off?” Michael advised, thinking maybe she would be better off not being there.

“What?” She looked confused.

“I just thought you looked exhausted, and I wouldn’t want you to pass out or anything.”

“Um… ok?” She hesitantly stepped around him. “Thanks, I guess.”

“Sydney, you’re back?” Irina asked the moment Sydney stepped into their small home. “Where’s Nadia?”

“I got the day off.” Sydney explained, sitting down carefully at the wood table in the middle of the room. “I have no idea where she is.”

“…Why?” Irina asked suspiciously. “What did you do?”

“I didn’t do anything wrong, this dude just came up and started whipping me.” Sydney replied.

“Oh, are you alright?” Irina asked.

“I’ll be fine.” Sydney sighed. “And then this guy came up and he was asking me if I needed to see a doctor and I’m just like, what the hell…” Sydney started rambling.

“What did he look like?” Irina asked, setting a bowl of what looked to be soup in front of her. Sydney cautiously took a sip, not liking it that much, but knowing she had to eat something.

“Um… he was a little taller than me, brown hair, and he had on all these fancy looking clothes.” Sydney tried to describe him in words Irina would understand. She knew she was stuck here, but she didn’t know how long it would last. She should at least try to make friends or be nice so she didn’t end up in jail or something. By the way the guard had whipped her without her really doing anything to deserve it; she knew life had to be hard for the people she was living with.

“He sounds like someone important.” Irina sat down next to her on the bench.

“And then everybody was bowing to him and-” Sydney was cut off by Irina gasping.

“The PRINCE?!” Irina looked shocked and Sydney thought more about the man she met. It was possible he was some form of royalty.

“Maybe… he got the guard to leave me alone and sent me back here…” She trailed off, not knowing what else to say about the event.

“Oh Great Olympus.” Irina’s phrase almost made Sydney laugh out loud. She didn’t though, knowing it would only make her seem even crazier. “You met the Prince? What did he say? Was he nice?” Irina fired questions like a star struck teenager after meeting a celebrity.

“I guess, I mean, he was after I told him off.” Sydney sighed.

“Told him off?” Irina asked, also wondering where this girl was from. Sometimes she used the strangest phrases.

“I basically yelled at him…” Sydney looked away. She wondered why she had been so snippy with everyone outside but chalked it up to the heat and her fear of not knowing how she got to Egypt or when she would go home, if ever.

“You yelled at the Prince!” Irina echoed with a shocked tone in her voice. “Do you want to kill us all?”

“What? No. Where would you get that idea?”

“You have only been here a day and yet you have ruined everything that we set up for ourselves over the past centuries.” Irina fretted.

“It’s not that big of a deal.” Sydney took another sip of the soup. She was really craving a carton of ice cream after being in the sun so long.

“There is only one way to fix this,” Irina determined, ignoring what Sydney had said. “You must go apologize.”

“What!?”

TBC...

I can't beleive that she told the prince off. haha Great update. She does need to apolgize to the prince. Irina is right about that.

texasalias

that was great!! :D
i love how she stood her ground and how he was so concerned! however if he was the prince he should have stopped the guard from beating her!
thanks for the pM :P
cant wait for more, update soon :smiley:

you cannot force me to leave reviews! ha!

great chapt!!! and poor poor Irina all stressed out ... I am still curious about hust how she got to Egypt 4000 BC ... (approx.)

Porr Irina!!
She must be really scared that the prince will do something to her family....
And Michael... he thought Syd was gonna faint!!
That was funny
great update!!
Thanks for the PM

LOL. She told him off and she call him dipshit :lol:

Yeah I think she should go and apologize to Prince Michael. :king: And then they'll become lovers. :lovers:

Thanks for the PM ;)

Chapter 5

“G-Go Back! Why?” Sydney asked.

“You insulted him. You disgraced our family and yourself.” Irina explained like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“But, but-” Sydney protested.

“Sydney, do you really want us to starve and be shunned?” Irina piled on the guilt. Sydney doubted this could actually happen, but felt bad nonetheless.

“…No,” Sydney sighed. “But can’t we just, like, send him a pig or something?”

“Your traditions certainly are strange.” Irina commented, standing from the table. “Let’s go.”

“Now?” Sydney asked, not wanting to grovel at the feet of the self-righteous man she had yelled at this morning so soon. “Why not tomorrow?”

“You must apologize before the festival starts.” Irina replied, an all-knowing look on her face.

“What festival?” Sydney wondered. It couldn’t be possible, she thought.

“The festival of Opet, dear. We celebrate every year and Nadia gets the whole time off work. ”

“Twenty Seven days.” Sydney sighed.

“See, your memory must be coming back.” Irina smiled and continued towards the door. Sydney reluctantly followed, finally knowing why people say you get what you wish for.

“Sydney, come now, we don’t have time for childish games.” Irina chastised as Sydney lagged behind while climbing the steps of the palace.

“Sorry.” Sydney huffed; tired from the walk and the many steps she had to climb. The setting sun was not helping as it was directly on her back.

“Excuse me, what is your business?” A large soldier asked Irina as she reached the top of the steps.

“We are here to see the Prince.” Irina said strongly.

“I don’t think so.” The man replied.

“It is important.” Irina insisted. The guard looked her over and Sydney as she made her way to the final steps.

“Fine. Don’t move.” He instructed, going inside to call the Prince.

“I don’t think I’ve ever done that many steps in my entire life.” Sydney said, sitting on the top step and staring at the sunset. It was certainly beautiful from this great height, but slightly lessened from her impending groveling.

“Get up before the Prince gets here.” Irina directed, but Sydney stayed where she was.

“Is there a problem?” Michael asked as he walked out of the large entranceway towards Irina and Sydney.

“Sydney…” Irina called.

“Oh, um… sorry.” Sydney briefly turned her head to apologize, looking back at the sunset.

“What a heartfelt apology.” Michael remarked, eyeing Sydney carefully. She was paler than the rest of the people and held herself differently. He knew she was unusual because of her defiance of proper behavior, but it somehow fascinated him. He had wondered about her all afternoon after returning to the palace.

“Screw you.” Sydney muttered. Michael looked to Irina, who bowed and excused herself by walking towards the palace to give them room to talk.

Michael tried to imitate her stance with his elbows on his knees and his hands clasped in front of him while he sat down on the step next to Sydney.

“Where are you from?” He asked.

“Nowhere you’ve heard of.” Sydney replied, running a hand through her hair. Michael was suddenly aware of how beautiful she was. In this light, she looked like a goddess descended to Earth.

“What brings you to Egypt?” He asked and she laughed.

“I would love to know.” Sydney and Michael sat quietly for a few minutes before Sydney started humming a song.

“What is that? I’ve never heard it before.” Michael asked, liking the melodious sound she was making.

“Evanescence.” She answered automatically. “I mean- it’s just a song I know.”

“You really are different.” Michael said, finding it easy to talk to her like any other person. She didn’t see him as the Prince and seemed to not care. All his life he had been fawned over and bowed to and while it wasn’t horrible; it got annoying after a while. It was nice to talk to someone who saw him as just another person, not royalty.

“You have no idea.”

TBC...
interesting fact:
the song she was humming was originally going to be "death cab" but seeing as how i know nothing about them or their songs, i switched it to something i love. :smiley:

Yay! I love the way he's taking intrest in her!
And uh... Can i say i loved the way she so called apologised? Lol it was hilarious.
And Evanescence? :love: :sigh:

thanks for the Pm.

Back