On The Nile

Ha swimming! :angelic: Swimming with no swim suit? 🤤

I loved the conversations between Syd and Vaughn. 💘

Great chapter. Thanks for the PM.

Chapter 9

“Swimming?” Michael looked at her skeptically.

“Sure, what, can’t you swim?” Sydney asked, hoping she wouldn’t be burned at the stake for knowing how to swim. Wait, she thought, that was the Salem Witch Trials, think more Moses’ time.

“Of course I can swim, it’s just… I’ve never bathed with a woman before…” Michael looked apprehensive.

“No, no, no, not bathe swimming,” Sydney knew she didn’t mean it that way, but it obviously came out that way. “Swim for fun.”

“Um…”

“No nudity.” Sydney held up her palms towards him to stop him from getting the wrong impression. “I’m not into nudity before marriage anyway.”

“So you’re not married?” Michael asked.

She laughed and smiled at him. “I’m way too young to get married.”

“So… no?”

“No.” Sydney smiled, walking towards the water. “You might want to leave your jewelry here though, so it doesn’t get messed up.” She commented on the turquoise band on his wrist and the pendant around his neck.

“Oh, right.” Michael said nervously. He pulled off the bracelet and necklace and set them on the ground. His eyes were fixed on Sydney as she walked waist deep into the river. Her smile looked so beautiful as she looked back at him.

“Common!” She called, diving under the water. He slowly made his way across the sand and stepped into the water with one foot. She reemerged from the water, her hair matted to her head and water dripping from her eyes. She smiled at him and splashed some water in his direction. “Don’t be a baby, get in!”

“It’s cold.” Michael whined with a smile.

“Aww, is the prince’s water normally heated?” She teased, splashing him again.

“Fine, fine…” Michael reluctantly waded into the water until it was waist deep. “Are you happy now?”

“Very.” Sydney smiled and fell back underwater. She was having a blast swimming around uninterrupted. The few times she had ever gone to a public pool she had been splashed by little kids and wasn’t too fond of the experience. Luckily, they seemed to be the only people around and could thus swim as long as they wanted. Some things about Egypt weren’t so bad. Resurfacing directly in front of Michael, she could tell he was surprised.

“Hey stranger.” She teased, smirking at him before flopping on her back and floating away. “Common, don’t just stand there.” She called, pouting at a safe distance from him.

“I don’t swim very well.” Michael admitted shyly.

“Do I need to get you some floaties?” Sydney laughed, realizing too late that he wouldn’t get the joke. “I’ll teach you, its not hard.”

“Okay…” Michael agreed, wading a little deeper into the river.

“Okay, now try to lie on your back and paddle with your arms.” Sydney helped him learn how to float on his back and doggie paddle, despite him not knowing what ‘doggie’ meant.

“Okay, okay, enough swimming.” Michael declared, as the sun was getting higher in the sky, signalizing the noon hour and lunch. “I’m getting hungry.”

“Yeah, me too. I guess I should be getting home…” Sydney said as she walked out of the water, her clothes dripping wet and her hair in wet waves down to her shoulders. Michael again marveled at her beauty before getting out as well.

“Okay, I guess I’ll see you around.” Michael said sadly as she turned to leave.

“Thanks for the swim!” She called back.

“Thanks for the swimming lesson!” Michael replied, walking back to the palace with a smile on his face.

“Sydney, you’re dripping wet, what happened to you?” Irina gasped when Sydney entered their home as they were sitting down to a meal.

“We went for a swim.” Sydney shrugged.

“You really shouldn’t be parading around with the Prince like some cheap prostitute.” Irina clucked her tongue.

“It’s not like that!” Sydney defended. “We’re just friends, there’s nothing going on!”

“You should remember to act like the slave you are. Dreaming of Prince Michael will get you nowhere.” Nadia added coldly. Sydney decided not to fight with the people who were providing her shelter and food. If they didn’t want her to see Michael, she wouldn’t. After all, she had nowhere else to go.

TBC...

I'm replying here since SD-1 is on the fritz.

I'm glad Sydney had fun. She got to teach the prince how to swim. He got to have some fun, too. I'll bet he doesn't get many chances to have fun.

“You should remember to act like the slave you are. Dreaming of Prince Michael will get you nowhere.” Nadia added coldly.
I think Nadia is jealous. Sydney just shows up one day, gives some lip to a guard and gets to meet Michael.

Sydney decided not to fight with the people who were providing her shelter and food. If they didn’t want her to see Michael, she wouldn’t. After all, she had nowhere else to go.
They don't have a choice in whether she sees Michael again. He is the one who came to see her. He needs to arrange for her to live at the palace.

Aww, I loved the whole swimming thing. :love:

Yeah, I agree with mbellsdiva, I think Nadia is so jealous.

Thanks for this wonderful update. ;)

WOW! THREE NEW READERS!! YAY!! :smiley:

okay, here's the deal, i'm going to Florida next week, so i wont be able to update :( BUT i'm going to update now, and on Saturday before i leave.

and mbellsdiva, i added you to the PM list cause SD-1 is dead :(

Chapter 10

Sydney found herself busy with household tasks for the next few days. Irina and Nadia didn’t mention the Prince and Sydney tried not to think about him. She wanted to see him again, but she couldn’t leave the house without Nadia by her side. Irina said she was worried Sydney might get lost, but she knew it was to keep her away from the Palace.

Sighing, Sydney went back to her task of cleaning the dinner plates in a wash bucket. Knowing they were far from sanitary and missing her paper plates at home, Sydney tried as hard as she could to get them clean. Wiping her hand across her forehead, she accidentally got some soapsuds on her forehead.

“felgercarb.” She cursed, wiping it off with her apron. She heard a throat clear behind her and turned to find a burly man standing in the doorway of the house. “Can I help you?” She asked from her position on the floor.

“Is there a Sydney here?” He asked.

“I’m Sydney, what’s wrong?” She stood up and walked towards the door. She felt like one of the wives on a soap opera about to be told their husband died in a car accident. Shaking off her feeling of dread, she awaited his answer.

“You need to come with me.” He said curtly, grabbing her arm and practically pulling her out the door and into the street.

“What did I do this time?” Sydney wondered aloud bitterly.

“The Prince has requested your presence.” The man informed her and she breathed a sigh of relief. At least she wasn’t getting whipped again.

“Okay, lets go then.” Sydney pulled her arm back from his grasp and walked behind him the way towards the Palace.

“The Prince is in there.” The guard informed her after briskly taking her through the palace. Sydney didn’t have time to look around because the guard was disappearing around corners faster than she could keep up.

“Um… thanks?” Sydney stuttered, pushing open the ornate doors to reveal a lavish bedroom. The white linen canopy bed filled the center of the room and commanded attention. She blushed deeply, wondering why Michael wanted to see her in his bedroom, but put aside her fear and called out, “Michael?”

“Over…” She heard a muffled cough. “here…” Michael’s rough voice called back. Sydney walked closer to the bed to see a pale looking Michael under the sheets of his bed looking under the weather.

“Are you okay?” Sydney asked quietly, feeling like an idiot for thinking Michael was up to something by calling her into his bedroom.

“No.” Michael smiled sadly, before beginning to cough again. Sydney sat down on the edge of the bed next to him with concerned eyes.

“Do they know what’s wrong?” Sydney asked, hoping it wasn’t something bad. She knew that in this time they weren’t very medically advanced and hoped it was something curable.

“No, I just feel really hot and nauseous all the time and I’m really tired.” Michael explained weakly. Sydney cautiously put her hand to his forehead and felt how hot he was.

“It looks like you have a fever.” She removed her hand quietly, trying to ignore the tingle she felt from touching him.

“Are you a doctor now too?” Michael smirked playfully.

“No, but I’ve had it before. It’s not fun.” Sydney sighed, feeling bad for him.

“How long do you think it will last?” Michael asked roughly. She could tell his throat hurt and planned to get him some water for it. He could use a cool rag too.

“It should go away in a few days tops.” Sydney replied, standing up and walking towards the door she came through.

“Where are you going?” Michael asked concernedly.

“I’ll be back.” Sydney promised, shutting the door behind herself.

“Nurse Sydney, at your service.” Sydney smiled when she re-entered the room with a tray. Closing the door with her foot, she made her way to the bed and set the tray down. “How’s my patient doing?” She asked playfully.

“Not so great.” Michael coughed. Sydney took a cup of water from the tray and let him drink some.

“The first day is always the worst, after that you just feel crappy for a few days.” Sydney took the next item she had found and laid it gently across his forehead. “This should cool you down a bit.” She added as he smiled at the feeling of the damp rag on his forehead.

“Why are you so great?” Michael asked.

“Oh, I’m nothing special.” Sydney denied, shaking her head.

“You’re special to me.”

TBC...

Back