On The Nile

Chapter 14

“What were you doing out here anyway?” Sydney asked, standing with Michael to go inside after the sun fell from their view.

“I just wanted some fresh air.” Michael answered and started walking towards the palace doors.

“But you’re sick!” Sydney whined. “You need sleep.”

“I couldn’t sleep, not without you there.” Michael admitted.

“God, that sounds like it came straight out of some cheesy romance novel.” Sydney smiled.

“Romance novel?” Michael asked.

“Never mind.” Sydney replied, slipping her hand in his as they walked. Michael wasn’t sure what the gesture meant to her, but it seemed like a sign of affection to him. He wondered if she felt the same way he did.

“You say the strangest things…” Michael shook his head with a smile.

“Fo shizzle.” Sydney replied with a laugh. Michael raised his eyebrow and smiled.

“And that means?” Michael asked.

“For sure. You add –izzle to they end of any word and you’re ghetto.” Sydney explained with a giggle.

“Alrightizzle.” Michael laughed.

“Nice.” Sydney followed Michael into his room. “If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you were bringing me in here to have your way with me.” Michael gave her a confused look. “Again, never mind.”

“You’re one of a kind, that’s fo shizzle.” Michael shook his head with a smile.

“Yes I am, now lay back down; you’re sick.”

“Your highness, you must get up it’s time for-” Michael’s chief advisor walked into his room the next morning to find a woman in bed beside the Prince. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to-”

“Oh my god!” Sydney cried as she awoke to find a middle-aged man standing close to her side of the bed.

“It’s okay Sydney, it’s just my advisor.” Michael sat up in bed casually. Sydney pulled the covers up to her shoulders quickly. Even though she was almost fully dressed, she was still freaked out by the old guy in the room. “What seems to be the problem?”

“It’s official business… I don’t think she should be here to listen to it.” He gave a disapproving look to Sydney.

“Sydney, can you go out in the hallway or get some food while we talk?” Michael asked gently. Sydney was annoyed that her morning had been ruined by this man’s presence.

“I’m not a whore.” She said harshly to Michael’s adviser as she left the room.

“Sorry, she’s a little bitter.” Michael apologized to his advisor. “What were you saying Arvin?”

“It’s not important. I wasn’t aware you had brought some… entertainment for last evening.” Arvin said with a glance over his shoulder.

“It’s not like that.” Michael replied.

“I just think it’s not a good idea to have prostitutes here during the festival.” Arvin added.

“Do you not listen to anything I say? She’s not a prostitute. She’s a friend, and nothing happened!” Michael got out of bed and stood in front of his advisor.

“Yes, your majesty.” Arvin smiled politely. He didn’t like this girl already and made plans to get rid of her. He couldn’t risk the Prince’s reputation and his on some pale slave girl.

“Sorry about that.” Michael apologized when Arvin left. He let Sydney back into the room and saw she was carrying a tray of food. “You know-”

“Yes, servants. Heard it before.” Sydney smiled, setting the tray down on the bed. She tucked her feet under her and began eating the meal she had brought up for them. “You know, your house is huge.” She commented with bread in her mouth.

“I guess.” Michael sat next to her and ate some of the food too.

“You guess? Dude, its like, bigger than anything I’ve ever seen before!”

“That’s what my father was going for.” Michael replied with a shrug.

“Speaking of, where is your father? I haven’t seen him around doing Pharaoh-y things…” Sydney asked, taking another bite of the bread.

“He died two years ago.” Michael answered sadly.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t know.” Sydney placed her hand on his shoulder gently.

“That’s alright.” Michael continued eating in silence.

“So… does that make you Pharaoh now?”

“No, I have to marry before I inherit the throne.” Michael replied softly, looking into her eyes. Sydney fantasized that he was thinking about her being the one he wanted to marry. She smiled at him and he smiled back. Seemingly caught in the perfect moment, Sydney leaned over and connected her lips to his in a tender kiss.

TBC...

Oh no, Arvin will always be the bad guy! :angry: I hope Michael can see that before something bad happen to Sydney.

And they kissed! :blush:

okay, here ya go.

Chapter 15

His lips molded to hers perfectly and she whimpered slightly. He was just what she needed and everything she ever wanted. Even though there was a time barrier, they got along so well and it was easy talking to him. It was even easier kissing him, she thought.

She pulled back a moment later, smiling a dimpled smile at him.

“W-why’d you do that?” Michael stuttered, clearly uncomfortable.

“It just felt right.” Sydney’s smiled faded. “Did… Are you… Is something wrong?” Sydney asked as she saw sweat appear on his forehead.

“I just…” Michael stood up quickly, backing away from her. “You just… I… We shouldn’t….” He stuttered nervously.

“It was just a kiss.” Sydney was getting angry that he was having this reaction. She thought she had felt a spark when their lips met, but apparently it wasn’t one of affection, but rejection. “You don’t have to flip out. I don’t have cooties.” Sydney said exasperatedly.

“Cooties?” Michael asked worriedly and Sydney rolled her eyes.

“You know what? I don’t care. You wanna flip out, you flip out.” Sydney stood from the bed as well. “I thought you were different. I thought you were special. I thought I could fall for you, but apparently I was wrong.” She said harshly as she left the room, slamming the door for effect.

Walking out the front entryway, Sydney was met with bright sunlight and covered her eyes with her hand. The first thing she saw when her eyes adjusted was a large Sphinx to her left. Having nowhere else to pout, Sydney made her way toward the large statue. It was made out of limestone from what she could see and Sydney knew this statue was most likely the Great Sphinx still around in her time. She was one of the lucky ones to see it up close and well preserved before time and weather got to it.

Smiling slightly, Sydney wondered what she was going to do now that she was standing next to the large cat. She simply stared at it for a few minutes before seeing what looked like footholds in the back of the neck. If she could just get onto the statue’s back, she could climb her way to the top of its head and sit there. Careful not to chip or worse, break the statue, Sydney climbed up the back of the cat’s neck and sat atop its head. Looking out into the horizon, She found this to be the most beautiful view of Egypt she had ever seen.

Sydney spent the rest of the day sitting atop the Sphinx’s head and thinking about Michael. She would steal periodic glances at the palace before returning her gaze to the city and the homes of the slaves. She wandered what Irina and Nadia were doing and if they were thinking of her. Sydney thought about all the things at home she missed and all the modern technology she was so used to. Everything seemed a lot harder in these days and Sydney was struggling to fit in.

It wasn’t at all how she had thought it would be sitting into her bedroom that fateful night. She had wished for simpler times, but ended up struggling to find food in this desert country. This was not what she would call a relaxing vacation.

Sitting up from her laid back position, Sydney realized two things. First, she was utterly lost without Michael, and second, she had wished to come there. That wish was the reason she was transported thousands of years into the past and dropped into Ancient Egypt. She just had to figure out how to get home or reverse it. But first she would have to go back to see Michael.

Sydney found that getting down proved to be a lot harder than getting up. Sydney contemplated the best way to jump down without killing herself and tried it. She managed to get to the ground with only one bleeding cut on her leg and limped her way back to the palace.

“Sydney!” She looked up the steps she was climbing to see Michael at the top, waving his arms to get her to see him. She cracked a small smile, finding it adorable that he was excited about her return.

“Hey.” She greeted quietly when she reached the top.

“Where were you?” Michael asked, looking longingly at her. She could tell he had been worried when she stormed out and felt bad for blowing up like that.

“I just took a walk.” Sydney shrugged, adding, “Are you mad at me?”

“I was worried you had gone home or something.” Michael revealed.

“I can’t leave.” Sydney replied truthfully. “And I can’t be without you.”

“I feel the same way.”

TBC...

I can't believe you left it there and us dangling that way! :smiley:

When do you think you will be able to update again, I love this story. :smiley:

Back