One Last Chance

SkyGirl5

Cadet
:hi:

Okay, guys, like i mentioned yesterday this fic was inspired by the ABC Family Channel movie Three Days. It also was inspired by the wonderful Katy :hug: my beta. She's the one that came up with the idea to transform Three Days into this, and i liked it so much that i pestered her until she let me write it :angelnot:

So for those of you who have never seen the movie, Three Days is about a man who is kinda neglecting his wife (and nearly cheating on her) and not really caring about her around Christmas until she's hit by a car and killed. Then, he's visited by an angel who gives him three days to do it all over again and make things right, but the catch is at the end of those three days his wife will die just the same.

Now i put a sort of alias twist on mine - namely, it takes place at the end of S2 with the whole house fire, etc death of Sydney. However, you all know how much i dislike writing CIA-realted fics, so that is pretty much the end of any Alias-like stuff... you'll see ;)

10 Chapters + Epilogue
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 1 (below) Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4 Chapter 5 Chapter 6
Chapter 7 Chapter 8 Chapter 9 Chapter 10 + Epilogue

Chapter 1
His lone figure stood out prominently among the charred rubble. Even at only six-foot-one, his frame was easily the tallest structure in the burnt ruins of the once warm home. The surrounding air was thick with smoke and despair. In that tragic fire, someone had died too young; Sydney Bristow had died too young.

As he waded through the ash, his nostrils burned painfully from the overwhelming scent of the charred ruins. A few pieces of wood still smoldered here and there, but, for the most part, the fire was out. He walked that familiar path down the hallway, past what used to be the kitchen, and finally coming to rest at the edge of her bedroom. That’s where she had been, they told him. Her body was found in the bedroom. Standing there, all he could wonder was why?

Four hours earlier he had kissed her and let her go with the promise of his return and the start of the most romantic three days of their life. It was supposed to be perfect; it was supposed to be their weekend. To her, it was a spur of the moment getaway decision, but, in reality, it was the culmination of weeks of meticulous planning. All hopes of a perfect weekend had been dashed with one fateful phone call, though. Instead of spending his weekend admiring her perfectly tanned figure lying on a sandy beach, he’d be planning a funeral.

He’d been standing there about half an hour before the true gravity of his loss hit him. Not only would their romantic weekend never take place, but he’d miss everything else as well. Never would he have another morning where he’d wake up to the soft sounds of her breathing and the gentle weight of her arm across his chest. Never again would he be able to stare into her soft brown eyes, which were pools of hidden, suppressed pain on some days but yet, when she looked at him, they were filled with a long deserved happiness. They’d never kiss again; never make love. They’d never be able to secretly play ‘footsie’ under the table during a debrief. They’d never spend a lazy Sunday in bed talking about what they wanted after they were finished with that life. More than anything, they’d never be able to exchange those three precious words so full of meaning.

Standing there, as the tears of loneliness setting in flowed down his cheeks, Michael Vaughn became angry at Sydney Bristow, the one and true love of his life. How could she have died so easily?! A fire? A FIRE?! Sydney had escaped burning and exploding buildings countless times during her career as a spy. How was it even possible that an ordinary house fire had taken her life when years of fighting bullet barrages among other things did not? To Vaughn, this was incomprehensible.

“Tragic, isn’t it?” a soft male voice filtered across the ruins.

Vaughn didn’t even bother responding to this. What was there to say? How could that situation have been anything but tragic? How could anyone be thrilled that Sydney Bristow and her best friend, Francie Calfo were dead? It was impossible.

Footsteps crunching across the ashes caused Vaughn to tentatively turn his head to the left. He had asked Dixon to give him some time alone there in the rubble and Dixon had complied along with the firemen. Dixon understood that Vaughn needed to mourn the loss of his beloved Sydney and he had promised to keep everyone away until Vaughn had a chance to do just that. Keeping that in mind, Vaughn wondered who, exactly, this person was beside him.

“Tragic, just tragic,” the stranger said as he shook his head.

“If you don’t mind,” Vaughn croaked with a slight sniff, rubbing his long nose with the back of his hand, “I’d like to be alone.”

“Of course, of course,” the stranger said in an overly compassionate tone that only succeeded in causing Vaughn’s anger to rise. The two men stood there in silence for another few minutes before the stranger added softly, “It was a tragedy.”

“You can stop saying that,” Vaughn snapped. The stranger looked at him, slightly taken aback. “Jesus, I just lost my girlfriend here. Can’t I get a minute alone?! I loved her and-” his voice cut off sharply at that heart wrenching revelation. He, of course, had known his love for Sydney for quite some time, practically even before their very first kiss. Unfortunately, in all their time together, he never uttered his feelings aloud. His reason for this was twofold. Firstly, Sydney wasn’t exactly the heart-on-her-sleeve type of person. She was very tight-lipped and strong to the point of stubborn about her emotions, especially in the beginning stages of their relationship. He didn’t want a heartfelt admission to scare her prematurely. Secondly, he himself was scared, for he had never loved anyone as much as he loved her.

“And I never got to tell her…,” he continued, his voice hoarse with tears. Vaughn turned his back on the stranger behind him as he covered his face in his hands and let a few more tears slip out.

For a moment, neither of them moved. Then, slowly, the stranger walked around to face Vaughn as he said, “I know that Michael and that’s why I’m here.”

At the sound of his name, Vaughn’s head snapped up and he quickly brushed his tears away, backing away from this now suspicious stranger. “Ho-how do you know my name?!” he asked rather horrified. “Wh-who are you?”

“I’m here to bestow a gift – a very rare and precious gift Michael. You must understand that this gift is only because of the unique and rare circumstance you and Sydney had. After all, not everyone finds their soul mate in life,” the stranger said with a knowing smile.

Vaughn was too confused and borderline scared to even process what he had said. “Who are you?” he asked.

“My name is Jonah and-”

Vaughn cut him off before he could utter another word. “Look, Jonah, seriously – I don’t care,” he said, enunciating each word. “I just want to be left alone, alright?!”

“You don’t want the gift?” Jonah asked, surprised.

“What gift?!” Vaughn’s voice rose along with his frustration.

“A second chance to spend three days with Sydney,” Jonah told him.

“What?! Sydney’s dead, she’s dead!” he exclaimed, the words breaking his shattered heart into even more pieces.

“That is why this is a rare gift,” Jonah said, maintaining the calm in his voice. “You were never able to tell Sydney how you feel about her and I’m giving you this chance. Tomorrow morning when you wake up, it won’t be Saturday. It will be Wednesday and you’ll be able to relive the last three days with Sydney. You may do whatever you wish in that time as long as you know that on Friday night, the events will play out just like they had and Sydney will die again in the same way.”

“Yeah, whatever,” Vaughn muttered under his breath, only half listening to what Jonah was saying. Obviously, this pale skinned man beside him was out of his mind. Time could no sooner reverse than he could spread his arms, flap them and begin to fly. Jonah was only trying to aggravate him.

“Remember, you only have three days; use them well Michael,” Jonah said, his voice dissipating into an echo. Thankful that the irritating stranger was finally gone, Vaughn squeezed his eyes shut tightly and breathed deeply, trying to memorize every inch of the space that once surrounded him, imprinting it in his mind as his forever memory of Sydney.

Dixon’s voice pulled Vaughn from his haven only a moment later. He hung his head and went to leave the rubble, but he stopped at the sight of two pure white feathers, each about five inches long, resting on the ground by his feet, screaming out at him because of the contrast of everything black around him. Shaking his head, Vaughn turned to leave. Those were just a peculiar hallucination; they meant nothing.

I remember something along the lines of having to relieve a certain time but i can remember the moviw and im pretty sur eits not the one you mentioned
hmmm im gonna be thinking all night now

this is a very very intresting concept
i cnat wait for vaughn to relaise his 'gift' is real

Hm. So what you are saying is that by the end of this fic, Sydney's gonna be dead still anyway, so it's going to end sadly, right?

Looks interesting though.

except for the sad angst! :D

thanks for the PM notification!

Oh, wow! This is going to be incredible! Does she really have to die again? :(

I can't wait to see how Vaughn plays the next three days! Thanks for the PM!

Yay. I'm so excited for this story. :smiley:

Great beginning. I can't put my finger on it... but there was something different about the writing.. good different. And I enjoyed it very much. I can't wait to see how Vaughn reacts to this gift once he realizes that he has 3 more days with her.

Thanks for the pm.

OO I like it...very interesting!!!!
-I just don't want you to kill her again!! That would be too sad!!
Great start! Thanks for the pm!!

Back