One Last Chance

We will get a happy ending, we will get a happy ending, we will get a happy ending, we will get a happy ending, we will get a happy ending, we will get a happy ending, we will get a happy ending, we will get a happy ending, we will get a happy ending, we will get a happy ending, we will get a happy ending, we will get a happy ending...
right? :lol:

I am going to say the same thing I have said every review since I began reading this.
PLEASE DON'T KILL HER!!
I was crying during this chapter because I so don't want her to die!
PLEASE!!!!!

Maybe Michael should have let Jonah talk, who knows? Maybe something changed... that would be nice! :thinking:
Yay for the proposal.

I'm hoping Jonah was just waiting for Vaughn to really show his love for Sydney before saving her from death.

Thanks for the PM.

Chris

“That ring belong to my mother. My father gave it to her and they had forty wonderful years together before they passed. She always told me that ring was her good luck charm and now I’m giving it to you, but under one condition,” she said. Vaughn raised an eyebrow at her and she continued, “You must give that ring to Sydney.”
That reminded me of the speech Vaughn gave to Sydney in the show about the watch his father gave him. I hope that ring is a lucky charm for them too.

An immense lump formed in Vaughn’s throat and he swallowed hard. “Maman…”

“Don’t ‘Maman’ me, Michael. You’d be a fool not to marry that girl. You love her very much, she loves you and I love her too. Hearing you speak of her with such a look of devotion in your eyes for all these years I could hardly imagine the person I was going to meet… but no matter what I dreamed up, it paled in comparison to the real thing.
Amelia loves her too. I love Amelia.

She’s good for you Michael, don’t let her get away,” Amelia told him with a smile.
Listen to your mother, Michael. Don't let her go into the house alone to face her death.

At least he listened to his mother enough to propose. I hope he does find a way to keep her from her death.

I hope this fic is like your others in that Sydney and Vaughn don't die. The only time they died is from old age, in the SFT series.

I'm afraid Vaughn will suffer more now that Sydney is officially his fiancée when she will die because she will never have the same name than him, she will never be Sydney Bristow-Vaughn :cry:
Please don't kill her :(

Chapter 10
As they walked back to Amelia’s house hand in hand, Sydney couldn’t tear her eyes away from her new engagement ring while the wheels in Vaughn’s brain were turning. He was convinced that if he could just keep Sydney away from her house that night, she’d be able to survive, as simple as that. Whatever it took, he was going to keep her at his mother’s house until the following day and then the curse would be broken – so to speak.

Once they reached the steps to Amelia’s house, Sydney pulled Vaughn in for another kiss, but didn’t linger very long on his lips. “Vaughn,” she grimaced slightly. “If we’re going to keep doing this you need to shave.”

He grumbled at her. “Woman why must you be so sensitive about my stubble?”

“Because it hurts and don’t call me woman,” she said in a warning tone.

“Fine,” he sighed. Then a sly grin crossed his face. “How about I shower instead… and you come with me.”

“Vaughn!” Sydney said in a hushing manner. “Your mother…”

“Is at work,” Vaughn informed her. She gave him a questioning look and he nodded in confirmation. With this, a grin spread across her face and she pulled him into the house.

~*~

After celebrating their engagement in the shower and then again on the bathroom floor, Sydney was finally beginning to dress once more, when she noticed her cell phone blinking. “Hey,” Vaughn warned her when she reached for it. “No cell phones – we made a deal.”

“I’m just going to check the message on it – chill,” she told him. Then, she ignored his grumbling protests as she flipped open her phone and dialed her voicemail. She only had to listen to the first three words of it before she gasped loudly, and her hand shot to her mouth.

“What is-” Vaughn was unable to finish his question because Sydney silenced him by clamping her hand over his mouth so that she could listen to the rest of the message.

“My dad’s in the hospital!” she wailed when the message had finished playing.

“What?!” Vaughn gasped.

“Sloane got him…,” Sydney said while heading directly to her suitcase. “He tortured him or shot him or something but he’s in the hospital and I have to go.”

“NO, NO, NO, NO!” Vaughn said loudly. Sydney looked up at him utterly stunned. “I mean…,” Vaughn tried to backtrack quickly and casually. “He’s probably fine – I mean it’s Jack; he’ll be fine. You don’t need to rush in there…”

“Vaughn, don’t be ridiculous. I have to go – Dixon told me to go,” Sydney said simply as she continued packing her bag.

“She’s right Michael,” Jonah said from his position in the bathroom door. “She has to go.”

“NO SHE DOESN’T!” Vaughn spat at him.

“What?” Sydney asked, sounding shocked.

“I mean… no, you don’t have to go,” Vaughn said as casually as possible. “Just… hold on a second,” he said. He quickly reached into his own bag and pulled out his cell phone. Ignoring the forty-seven voice mail messages on it he dialed the number of Eric Weiss.

“Dude!!! Where the FREAKING HELL have you been?!?!” Weiss demanded immediately, not even bothering with a ‘hello’. “It’s been like three days!! We thought you and Sydney died or something.”

“Eric, we’re in Santa Barbara visiting my mother. What’s going on with Jack?” he asked.

“Oh he’s messed up pretty bad man. I’ve never seen Jack this way – it’s scary,” Eric said solemnly.

“Really?” Vaughn gulped.

“Yeah. Is Sydney with you? Because she should really get here ASAP…”

“Yeah…she’s here,” Vaughn managed as he looked over to Sydney who had an ‘I told you so’ look on her face. “Were… coming…”

“Thank you,” Sydney mouthed to him before disappearing into the bathroom to retrieve the remainder of her belongings. Vaughn slammed his phone shut and bashed it rather painfully into his forehead. It was definitely a setback, but they weren’t screwed; not yet.

~*~

“Uuuuggggh you’re kidding me. Not another accident. Jesus can’t people learn to drive?!” Sydney groaned loudly. They had been driving for nearly two hours and they were still a good hour away from LA due to a ridiculous number of accidents closing the freeways they were trying to navigate.

“It’ll be fine, Syd,” Vaughn assured her, though secretly he was hoping that the freeway would close and they’d be stuck there until morning.

“But my dad…,” she sighed with a slight whimper.

“Hey,” he said in a soft tone as he reached over and squeezed her hand. “He’s going to be fine, okay? Why don’t you try calling Weiss back?”

Sydney nodded and dialed Weiss’s number for the third time since they got in the car. The previous times they had called, Weiss either wasn’t at the hospital yet or didn’t have any information that Sydney so desperately desired about her father. That time, though, she received good news. While her father had been shot in the arm, he was going to make a full recovery and, according to Weiss, he was already insulting everyone around him, which was obviously a good sign.

“See, that’s great,” Vaughn gave her a reassuring smile as she sighed with relief.

“Yeah and look – traffic’s moving,” she pointed out.

Great,” Vaughn said in a less than enthusiastic way.

“Oh Vaughn, can we stop at my house before going to the hospital I-”

“NO!” Vaughn said quickly. They were fifteen minutes from Sydney’s house; twenty-five from the hospital. There was no way he was letting her go to her house.

“Vaughn come on. I’m going to freeze in that hospital dressed like this. I just want to change-”

“NO,” Vaughn repeated loudly.

“Vaughn,” Sydney said, her tone turning annoyed. “What the hell’s the matter with you? It’ll only take five minutes.”

“No,” Vaughn repeated. He wasn’t going there, no way, no how.

“VAUGHN,” Sydney said. That time, she was angry. “Take me to my house damnit… geez… Honestly what’s with you? You’re all over the place this weekend.”

“It’s nothing,” he growled. At the next intersection, he tried to turn left, but somehow, his car went right in the direction of Sydney’s house. Turning the wheel as hard as he could, Vaughn tried to figure out what was wrong with his car until he saw it. In his rear view mirror he caught a glimpse of Jonah in his back seat.

“You can’t change it Michael,” Jonah said.

“No…,” Vaughn sighed.

“NO?!” Sydney gasped in shock. “You don’t still want to marry me?!”

“What?” Vaughn responded. He hadn’t been paying attention to her at all. “What? No, of course I want to marry you.”

“Oh… good… on Monday I’m making Barnett examine your head by the way. Honestly…,” she sighed, twisting her engagement ring on her finger.

Though he was doing nothing to control it, Vaughn’s car stopped in front of Sydney’s house and she unlatched her seatbelt. “I’m only gonna be five minutes, okay? You can just wait here,” she told him.

“Sydney no,” he said, reaching out for her hand before she could open the car door. “Sydney, no, please don’t go. Stay here with me. We’ll go to the hospital and see your dad just don’t go please,” he begged her.

“Vaughn,” she said, her brow furrowing. She looked at him as though he had completely lost his mind, which, in a way, he had. “I have to go.”

“She’s right,” Jonah echoed as Sydney popped open the car door.

“SYDNEY!” Vaughn shouted, but his cry was interrupted by the slamming of the door. Vaughn watched in horror as Sydney jogged towards the house. His hand shot towards the handle on his own door but, to his terror, he found it was locked. “NO! NO COME ON!” he shouted as he frantically tried to unlock his door, but it wouldn’t budge. He tried the passenger door as well, but it too was locked.

“You can’t change it Michael,” Jonah said.

“NO, NO, NO!” Vaughn cried. “No, please, please don’t do this you have to let me out please, please, please,” he begged hysterically. “Please let me out I’ll do anything, please, please I can’t let her die this way.”

“You can’t change fate,” Jonah said calmly.

“Fate? FATE?!” Vaughn spat. “What about the fate of Sydney and I being soul mates?! What about that fate?! Lemme out of this car dammit!”

To his shock, the next time Vaughn tried the door, it opened. He tore out of the car and raced towards Sydney’s house, nearly falling in his haste. He struggled for a moment with Sydney’s front door for it, too, was locked. He kicked it in quickly, though before bursting into the house. Inside it was deadly silent but, luckily, he knew exactly where to go.

He charged down the hall to Sydney’s bedroom and found, to his utter shock, Francie with a gun pointed directly at Sydney’s heart. At his sudden presence, Sydney gasped and looked towards him. As she did this, Francie turned the gun on him and fired a shot but Vaughn was too quick for her and the bullet missed him as he pounced on her, knocking her towards the ground.

They struggled for a few moments before he was knocked backwards by the butt of the gun coming in contact painfully with his temple. Stunned by this sharp blow, Vaughn staggered to his feet. He lunged forward just as Francie pulled the trigger on her gun. As if in slow motion, Vaughn landed on Sydney just as the bullet hit him instead of her.

When they hit the ground, Sydney reached for her previously discarded weapon and fired two shots into the chest of her former best friend, who fell to the ground, dead. It was only then that, to her horror, she noticed the blood seeping out from underneath Vaughn’s t-shirt.

“Vaughn,” Sydney croaked as she ripped off his t-shirt and began examining him for a wound. She found the bullet hole in his shoulder and pressed her hand down on it firmly while reaching for Vaughn’s phone on his belt. Her fingers trembling, she dialed Weiss’s number and informed him of the situation, requesting immediate medical assistance.

“Vaughn, you’re going to be okay Vaughn,” she told him, still keeping firm pressure on his bleeding wound.

“Sydney,” Vaughn managed to croak out, lifting his non-wounded arm to stroke her face. “You’re okay…”

“I’m fine… Vaughn, what were you doing?” Sydney choked out as tears flowed down her cheeks. “You could have killed yourself.”

“Nah… just a scratch…,” he managed to form a small smile as he said this.

Sydney laughed softly before lowering her lips to his, kissing him sweetly. “You’re going to be okay,” she whispered to him. “But you shouldn’t have done that.”

He shook his head. “I’d do anything for you Sydney, anything to save you…,” he told her.

Sydney shook her head in disbelief. “I don’t deserve you.”

“Nah…,” he sighed. She lowered her lips to his once more just as the faint sound of sirens was beginning to appear. Then she moved her lips to his shoulder and kissed a spot just beside where her hand was pressed over his wound. As she was doing this, Vaughn’s eyes drifted towards the corner of her bedroom, where he saw Jonah standing, leaning against the wall. Vaughn mouthed a ‘thank you’ to him and, in response, Jonah winked before disappearing leaving only two single white feathers behind him.

Epilogue
“…Good Morning Los Angeles! It’s a beautiful, sunny Saturday morning on-”

Vaughn groaned as he smacked off his radio alarm clock. It couldn’t have been time to get up, not yet anyway. He had just fallen asleep. Beside him, his wife groaned, “Nooo not morning yet.”

“No morning,” Vaughn mumbled, pulling her body closer to his. They had only been lying that way for another minute before a piercing wail came from the other radio (also known as a baby monitor) beside their bed, eliciting a groan from both new parents.

“Your turn,” Sydney mumbled to him.

“Uh uh, I just got up,” he mumbled back.

“Your turn,” Sydney repeated, prodding him in the ribs that time.

“Fiiiiiine,” Vaughn groaned. He slid from bed, yawning on the way, and shuffled slowly down the hall towards their three month old daughter’s bedroom. When Vaughn stopped at the edge of the crib, he was met by her huge, dark eyes staring up at him. “Well good morning Joanna,” Vaughn cooed to her as he lifted her up. “Did you sleep well?”

She cooed back at him while reaching up to his lips with her tiny hand. “Okay, okay, I’m taking you to your meal ticket right now,” he mumbled through her hand before kissing it a few times.

Back in the bedroom, Vaughn found that Sydney hadn’t moved an inch from her position. “Rise and shine Mommy,” he said to her. She groaned and slowly pushed herself into a sitting position, though her eyes were still closed. Vaughn waited until she had her PJ top unbuttoned before passing over their daughter so she could nurse. He then slid in bed beside them and pressed a kiss into the top of Sydney’s head, never being happier that they had gotten a second chance to live the life they were meant to live.

thanks for reading everyone :hug:
tomorrow i'll be posting the last cia related fic i've ever written/will ever write

Back