One Night Love Affair

Awesome idea! Character actions and interactions are great and completely like the real characters! Can I get a PM please? Can't wait for more!

Kate

Aw, what a cute chapter! It's a shame they have to go seperate ways so soon! But they'll meet up again, right??? :P

A/N: There's your daily dose... :smiley:

Chapter 4

For the last two hours, Vaughn had been watching Sydney sleep. His back to the tree where she had sat before, he could hear her breathe peacefully. It was too dark to see her face well, but he could easily imagine her, lips almost imperceptibly curled into a tiny smile, hair framing her face, looking like an angel.

He felt strangely sad about them soon parting ways. Yes, destiny was a weird thing. Their paths had crossed only for a few hours, but she had made an undeletable impression on him. He already knew what an incredible human being she was. She was strong, courageous, fearless, but she was also a nice, funny, warm person, he could sense it. She had this sadness in her eyes that had him really intrigued. What could have possibly happened to her to leave her so lost and so empty?

«Maybe I like her.», he thought. Or maybe it was just this habit he had of falling for handicapped puppies or to cheer for the underdog when watching sports on TV. Sydney Bristow was a broken person and he wanted to make her feel better. That was probably it.

Vaughn sighed and gazed at the stars above him. He couldn’t like her. After all, he didn’t believe in love anymore. Since he had broken up with Alice, a few months ago, he wasn’t sure such a thing existed. He and Alice had been together for seven years, during which his illusions about relationships had been destroyed one by one. Yeah, at first he thought she was so beautiful, generous, funny and… Everything was so great between them. But slowly, things changed.

He had given this relationship all he had. Seven years later, he was left with nothing. Love was just an illusion. Love is need and need is love, he had once heard in a song. Was love just the need not to be alone? Was it worth it?

Looking at his watch, Vaughn sighed again. The helicopter was scheduled to arrive in ten minutes. He would have to wake Sydney up and he hated it, knowing just how much she needed to rest.

Just as he moved his arm to touch her shoulder, he heard his body heat detector beep. He hadn’t tuned it off, just in case. Vaughn grabbed it and saw it indicated six people in a two hundred feet radius. He hurriedly took his gun and woke up Sydney.

«Sydney! Wake up! There are people coming!»

«What!?!»

But he didn’t have to repeat. A second later she was up, gun firmly in her hand, scanning the area with her eyes.

«There seems to be six of them. It doesn’t look that they know we’re here yet. We have a chance.», he stated.

«Call the helicopter. They can’t extract us now, it’s too dangerous.»

«You’re right.»

Vaughn quickly grabbed his sat phone.

«Base Ops, this is Boy Scout! Abort extraction! I repeat: abort extraction!», he said, trying to keep his voice down.

«Boy Scout, what’s going on?»

«Six men are coming toward us! It’s too risky for you to come down!»

«I copy! Contact us later, Boy Scout!»

Vaughn disconnected and turned to Sydney. She had a look of fierce determination on her face.

«Okay. They’re probably following our trail, but they may not know we’re here. I think we should split. I’ll get them from behind. You stay here and take care of the head of the group. Try to be as silent as you can. Maybe we can get out of here without them giving the alarm.»

She was giving him the plan. His male ego was a little bruised by that, but he had no time to dwell on it. She was right, and they needed to act fast.

«Got it.»

«Let’s go.»

«Sydney, wait. I’ll hide the bag here, behind this tree. If something goes wrong… just take it and go.»

«It won’t happen.», she said firmly, looking him straight in the eyes.

Then, without another word, Sydney disappeared into the forest. Vaughn felt a knot in his stomach. Would she be okay?

But he didn’t have time to think further than that.

He had a job to do.

Vaughn looked at the North Korean soldier lying on the ground in front of him. He was the third one he had knocked unconscious. Like the others, he would stay that way for long minutes, he had made sure of that.

He swiftly got a hold of the man’s radio, just like he had done with the previous two in order to make sure they wouldn’t call back up. He just hoped they hadn’t done such a thing yet.

A second later, leaving the inanimate body at his feet, Vaughn carefully made his way further into the forest, looking for Sydney. He found her just in time to see her elbowing a soldier in the head, causing him to fall to the ground immediately.

«And… three.», she stated when she saw Vaughn coming.

«Are you okay?»

«Yeah, I am…»

«What about your arm?», he asked, concerned.

«It’s okay. Just a little sore.»»

«Gee, I’d hate to see what you can do when you’re 100% well. That poor guy is going to be out of it for hours…», he said, smiling, referring to the last soldier she had taken out.

He could hear her laugh softly in the darkness.

«Have you got your share?», she asked after a few seconds.

«Yeah. We can call the helicopter back.»

«No. It’s too dangerous. They are probably looking for us. It won’t be long until this forest is crawling with a lot more than six North Koreans military. We’ve got to move.»

«I know someone who could help us.»

They quickly got back to the clearing and Vaughn retrieved his bag. Hurriedly, he dug up the sat phone and dialled a number. Almost immediately, he heard a woman’s voice in his ear.

«Hello?»

«I need to speak with Miss Covarrubius.»

«This is she. Who’s speaking?»

«This is Mister X.»

There was a short silence on the other end of the line.

«What can I do for you?», she finally asked.

Vaughn quickly explained to her where they were and what they needed; a place to hide, passports, new clothes. His contact assured him there would be no problem. He hung up and his eyes met Sydney’s.

«It’s okay. A jeep will be waiting for us on the side of the road, about 10 miles from here. Inside it will be directions to get to a safehouse. Passports too. From there we’ll get the CIA to extract us.»

«Great.»

Freelancer21 said:
A/N: There's your daily dose...  :smiley:
[post="1072577"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
You can read minds too? :confused:
That was exactly what I needed right now! :smiley:
Freelancer21 said:
Vaughn sighed and gazed at the stars above him.  He couldn’t like her.  After all, he didn’t believe in love anymore.  Since he had broken up with Alice, a few months ago, he wasn’t sure such a thing existed.  He and Alice had been together for seven years, during which his illusions about relationships had been destroyed one by one.  Yeah, at first he thought she was so beautiful, generous, funny and…  Everything was so great between them.  But slowly, things changed. 

He had given this relationship all he had.  Seven years later, he was left with nothing.  Love was just an illusion.  Love is need and need is love, he had once heard in a song.  Was love just the need not to be alone?  Was it worth it? 
[post="1072577"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Oh man, poor Vaughn! :(
We get to know what exactly went wrong with Alice? :thinking:
I hope he´ll change his opinion *coughsydcoughsoulmatecough*! :angelic:
Thanks for da PM! ;)

Muse

Okay.. Thank GOD you updated!
I LOVE this story!
It's brilliant!
Sorry, I missed chapter 3 but this dosage was good enough to last me until tomorrow *hint, hint*
Greer

I read this story on SD 1 and I loved it

I can't wait to read it again

Please PM me when you update

Post more soon please

^_^

Chapter 5

It was past 8:00 AM when they finally arrived at the safehouse. Since the phone call to Vaughn’s contact, they had walked hours to get to the jeep she had promised them. In it, they had found, just as planned, passports and directions to a safehouse.

They had driven long hours before finally crossing the border to South Korea, posing as United Nations workers. They had had no problem. And now, another three hours later, they had reached their destination.

«So this is the place?», asked Sydney when they finally caught sight of the safehouse.

«Yes.»

«This is secluded enough.»

Vaughn smiled. They hadn’t seen a sign of life in almost two hours. The house was hidden in the trees, impossible to find unless you knew it was there. No roads lead there, so they had hidden the jeep a few miles back and then had walked up there.

The house itself looked pretty bad from the outside, like it had been abandoned for years and years. Sydney sighed to herself. She would have given anything for a nice, long hot bath.

Didn’t look it was going to happen, until Vaughn lifted a rock near the door and discovered a state of the art keypad. He then punched in a code and they heard the door unlocking itself.

Sydney opened the door and they came in. Astonished, they stood in the doorway for a moment, not believing their eyes. The interior of the house was modern and comfortable. Nothing fancy, but they discovered a refrigerator filled with fresh food, a couch, a bedroom with two single beds, and, much to Sydney’s happiness, a nice bathtub.

Seeing the joy in Sydney’s big brown eyes, Vaughn couldn’t help but laugh. She was just a pretty girl after all, he thought.

«Syd, go ahead and take a bath. It will make you feel better.»

But Sydney shook her head and Vaughn saw her switching back from woman to CIA agent.

«No, I can’t. We’ve got to…»

«Sydney, you can quit agent mode for a while. We’re safe. I’ll call the CIA to arrange extraction and I’ll fix us something to eat. Go and enjoy yourself. That’s an order.»

A teasing smile appeared on Sydney’s face.

«You think you can give me orders, Agent Vaughn?»

Vaughn smirked.

«I knew you’d like this one, or I wouldn’t even have imagined doing this. I saw what you did to those guys last night. And to tell you the truth, miss Bristow, I think you could kick my… butt.»

She winked at him.

«Yes, and don’t you forget it. Now if you’ll excuse me…»

Trying to get the mental picture of Sydney in a bubble bath out of his mind, Vaughn once again picked up the sat phone and called the CIA. He quickly explained where they were and that they were ready for extraction.

«Hold on a minute and I’ll give you the plan, Boy Scout.»

Great. Now another person was going to give him the plan, he joked to himself. His contact quickly came back on the line and gave Vaughn the directions to get to a small airfield about forty-five minutes from where they were. At 1:00 AM, a plane would be waiting to take them back to the US. First stop: Los Angeles. Vaughn would then be taken back to Miami.

Vaughn disconnected the call and made his way into the kitchen. Sydney would be out of the bathroom in a few minutes and he had promised to make lunch. He opened the refrigerator, looking at what they had to eat. What did Sydney like? Meat? Pasta? He knew that great restaurant in Rome, maybe one day they could go and…

When Sydney came to join him into the kitchen ten minutes later, he was in the same position, staring absently into the fridge. His mind had been wandering in somewhat inappropriate places…

«So, what have we got to eat?», she asked, startling him.

Vaughn turned to face her, finally closing the refrigerator door. He wanted to tell her about the results of his little investigation, but when he saw her, his mouth just dropped. She was simply stunning. She had found a pair of green cargo pants and a white tank top that suited to perfection. Her hair was down and still wet. Her face was totally make-up free, yet he had never seen anyone so beautiful.

«Everything okay?», she asked after a few seconds.

«Yeah, sorry… I was just… uh… thinking.»

He wasn’t going to tell her that behind the tough Agent Bristow façade, he could already see the vulnerable, caring, innocent woman, still secretly dreaming of a prince charming taking her away. He could just picture her in some pink pyjamas, watching “Pretty Woman” for the hundredth time while painting her toenails…

«So everything set up for extraction?»

«Yeah. We have to be at a nearby airfield by 1:00 AM. It will give us time to rest.»

«Great. Now go and clean up, I’ll take care of lunch.»

«You don’t have to, I said-»

«Agent Vaughn, don’t make me hurt you. Go! Now!»

«Hummmm, it smells good! What have you made?», Vaughn asked when he came back.

«I made pasta primavera. I wasn’t going to let all those vegetables go to waste…», she explained, setting the table.

«Great. Let me do it. Sit down.», Vaughn said, walking up to her and taking the forks from her hand. Doing so, their fingers touched slightly, causing Sydney’s protests to die on her lips. Her heart skipped a beat and they exchanged a glance, but Sydney quickly averted his eyes to go sit down at the table.

Now that they weren’t in real danger, she could relax a bit and admit to herself that he wasn’t such bad company. Like if he was her twin brother, he was also wearing green cargo pants and a white t-shirt that clearly established the fact that he was in perfect shape. Plus he had shaved and his hair was more tousled than ever. «Hot cute, Francie, hot cute…», she joked to herself, but a second later she felt a wave of sadness washing over her. Francie was gone. Forever. And now, no longer having her anchor into real life, she was just a CIA agent who had no more friends to joke around with.

«Here you go…», Vaughn said as he put a plate full of pasta in front of her.

«Thanks…», she smiled, regaining her composure.

«Thank you for doing all the hard work! Hum, this is excellent!», he complimented her after tasting the meal.

«Glad you like it.»

«How does it feel to have all the talents in the world?», he teased her, a twinkle in his eyes.

«If only you knew, if only you knew…», she replied on the same tone.

«You don’t have any weaknesses, I’m sure of that.»

«Yes, I do. Coffee ice cream, for example.»

«Oh, geeze, that’s awful.»

«Hey! Don’t make fun of me! I could make you suffer!»

«Please don’t hurt me! I’ll behave. I promise.», Vaughn pleaded, his hands up as a sign of surrender.

Sydney had a satisfied smile.

«Good. Now let me eat. All I can think of is finishing this and go to bed.»

«Me too.»

Like he had done the previous night, Vaughn was watching Sydney sleep. They were each lying on a bed, facing one another. He was just fascinated by her. She had been sleeping peacefully for the last six hours, while he had slept on and off. He couldn’t help it, his subconscious wanting to protect her so bad he had awaken to check on her periodically.

Now she was beginning to stir. She opened her eyes.

«Hi…»

«Hey…», he said softly.

«Did you close your eyes at all?», she wondered.

«On and off. You talk in your sleep.»

She put her hand on her forehead and winced.

«No… What did I say?»

«“Don’t frost the pie”. Seemed really important!»

She smiled shyly.

«No idea…»

They smiled to each other and didn’t say anything for a moment. The silence was comfortable, as had been every moment they had spent together, Sydney realised. Yes, it was amazing how well they were getting along, despite her reluctance to trust him. This guy was breaking through her defences with a disarming ability.

«What time is it?», she asked, sitting down.

«4:15. We don’t have to leave until midnight. You can sleep some more if you’d like.»

«No, I’m okay. I’m just hungry again.»

Smiling, Vaughn sat down on his bed and ran his hand through his hair.

«How about having dinner early? We would then have more time to rest before leaving.»

«Good idea.», she approved.

So a few minutes later, they found themselves chopping and slicing, preparing some beef bourguignon, following Vaughn’s mom recipe. They were chatting nicely while they worked, and Sydney began to forget that they were two CIA agents hiding in South Korea. She was beginning to relax and enjoy Vaughn’s company.

«So your mom is French?», she asked.

«Yes. Actually, I was born in France too, but we moved to the US when I was just five.»

«I bet you use speaking French to conquer all the women you want.»

«Moi?», he said, pretending to be offended.

«Yes, you. I can just picture it. “Vous êtes ravissante ce soir, ma chère…” (You look incredible tonight, my dear…)», she mocked.

Vaughn put down his knife on the chopping board.

«Bristow, you’re just jealous of my unbelievable charm.»

Their eyes met, and Sydney was struck by the fact that he was indeed a very charming man. He was looking at her intensely, his irresistible smile reaching from ear to ear. Her heart skipped a beat and she felt a little hot. Wanting to break the spell, she looked down and the sight of his strong, manly hands met her gaze. Francie had always told her that her weakness, as far as men were concerned, was their hands. She would fall for the worst jerk if he had nice hands, her friend used to tell her.

Sydney let go of the breath she finally realised she was holding and focused on the fact that this wasn’t the time or the place to fall for him. She shook herself mentally and retorted:

«You wish, agent Vaughn.»

His lips let escape a little laugh and he grabbed his knife again, going back to his onion.

«You’re right, I wish. You’re way more charming than I will ever be, I’ve got to give you that.»

Feeling he was serious, Sydney felt her cheeks flush.

«Let’s just say we’re both extremely charming and finish dinner, okay?»

«Anything you want.», he agreed, winking at her.

Another great update. And I love how you threw this moment in there:
«On and off. You talk in your sleep.»

«No… What did I say?»

«“Don’t frost the pie”. Seemed really important!»

She smiled shyly.

«No idea…»

Awww....

:vaughn1: : In a few hours, I'll never see her again! :down;

:sydney1: : In a few hours, I'll never see him again! (n)

this is sad!!! (n)

but they will get togehter!! or else.... :run:

Trying to get the mental picture of Sydney in a bubble bath out of his mind, Vaughn once again picked up the sat phone and called the CIA.

awww :lub:

when he saw her, his mouth just dropped.  She was simply stunning.  She had found a pair of green cargo pants and a white tank top that suited to perfection.  Her hair was down and still wet.  Her face was totally make-up free, yet he had never seen anyone so beautiful

vaughn is so cute!

«On and off.  You talk in your sleep.»

«No…  What did I say?»

«“Don’t frost the pie”.  Seemed really important!»

She smiled shyly.

«No idea…»

And that has gota be the CUTEST line ever : dont frost the pie :

it was great xxxxxxx helen xxxxxxxx

Back