One of the Guys

You must run Michael! Stop her and make her listen to you! You know you love her, don't deny it.

Can't wait for tomorrow's update!

:D

I think Michael will go to dinner with Alice and while sitting there will think, "What the hell, am I doing?" He'll then run out of the restaurant and into Sydney's arms.

Chris

Part 4
A few days later, after her confession-gone-wrong with Michael, Sydney was still feeling uneasy about it. Even more so, she was feeling regret. Why had she been so rash as to tell Michael then and there that she was in love with him without any deep consideration? What had possessed her to be so spur-of-the-moment when usually she thought things out methodically before making a move, especially ground-breaking things like confessions of love? She had no idea but hated herself for her actions more and more with each passing day.

In telling Michael flat out that she loved him, she had effectively ruined the best relationship she ever had. She was sure that at that very moment, Michael was off somewhere with Alice. They were probably smiling and laughing together as they boxed up her belongings and carted them over to Michael’s apartment. He had not called her since the incident and probably never would, she decided. Of course, she was not going to call him either. She made it perfectly clear how she felt and he had done the same by not responding. They would simply see each other at Sunday’s practice. They would smile cordially and have meaningless chit-chat while lacing up their skates. That would be the most interaction they would ever have again.

Sitting on her couch, a ball of used tissues in her lap, Sydney hated herself. She had never been a crier, especially over boyfriends. Sometimes an overly-emotional movie would have her misty-eyed. She had also been known to shed a tear or two over a particularly gruesome sports injury, but as a general rule she was not a crier, least of all over boyfriends. She always thought the girls who cried over their guys were silly. Well, if she was crying over Michael, a man who was not even her boyfriend, she was surely the silliest of them all.

The thing that hurt the most, the thing that kept the tears welling in her eyes, was that a part of her (albeit a small part) actually thought Michael might feel the same way about her. Alright, so maybe he wasn’t head over heels in love with her like she was with him, but part of her believed he had at least some romantic feelings toward her. Or, at least she hoped he found her the slightest bit attractive. Then again, she reminded herself, she was nothing like any of the girlfriends she had known Michael to have.

Simply put, Michael liked blondes, tiny ones at that. With her chestnut hair and five-foot-nine frame Sydney was neither blonde nor tiny. He also went after non-athletic bookish girls, as surprising as that was. Clearly, former tomboys with flat chests and gangling limbs were not his type, not his type at all.

Sydney was so consumed with her self-hating thoughts as she sat there, staring blankly across her apartment, she did not hear the doorbell ring. In fact, she did not realize anyone was outside her apartment at all until very impatient banging roused her from her state. Slowly, she shuffled her way to the door and was shocked to find Michael there looking perturbed.

“You weren’t answering your phone,” he said flatly. “And you didn’t answer the doorbell either; I thought something happened to you.”

“No… my cell battery died not to long ago and I’m sorry I didn’t hear the doorbell,” she told him quietly.

“Oh.” A moment of silence passed before he continued, “Can I come in?”

Sydney shrugged and stepped aside, allowing him into her apartment. She really was not in the mood for a confrontation with him, yet after her confession on Sunday it was inevitable. She was sure Michael wanted to make at least an attempt at a rebuttal to her admissions of love, even if it was a cordial, “I’m sorry but I just don’t feel the same.” The sad fact was she was almost positive she did not want to hear it.

“I’m sorry I didn’t say anything on Sunday… I was… shocked,” he said simply.

Sydney nodded and led the way to her couch. That she fully understood and expected; after all, her admissions were seemingly coming out of the blue. “Yeah I get that; it’s fine.”

“No, Sydney, it’s not fine. We…we need to talk about what you said because the thing is I love you too,” he told her.

“Yeah, as a friend love me, I know that,” she assured him with a casual hand wave. She wanted their conversation to be over as quickly as possible, before her tears started up once more. The last thing she needed to do was cry in front of Michael, who had never seen her cry. Okay, well there was that one time she fell head first into the ice arena wall and put her teeth right through her tongue, but anyone would have shed some tears in that situation. If Michael saw her cry, surely he would relay her girly behavior to their teammates, which would result in mocking for life.

“Sydney, I…,” he paused, obviously trying to collect his thoughts. “When I decided to move in with Alice, I wasn’t doing it because it was something I really, really wanted to do. I mean, obviously, I called you to ask you what I should do. I just decided to do it because I thought it was what I was supposed to do; it was the next step.

“With Alice, I’m happy and when I say I’m happy I mean… I don’t feel unhappy with her, so I guess that makes me happy right? But I’m not over-the-moon happy, nor have I ever been with any of the girlfriends I’ve had in twenty-eight years of my life.”

“Wh-why are you telling me this?” Sydney asked softly. She did not need to hear about how happy Michael was with Alice. Frankly, that fact made her want to vomit all over him, but she refrained.

“I have a point I promise,” he assured her with a wry smile. “What you said was right – I do think of you as one of the guys… or I did before Sunday anyway. I mean, Syd you’re my best friend; I think that’s painfully apparent to anyone. You get me better than anyone else; we get each other. We love hockey and the Mets and we can do stuff together – hang out and talk.

“My point is,” he exhaled as he reached over for one of Sydney’s hands. “If I lost you from my life – if I no longer had you as a friend that would kill me. It would kill me. I need you in my life Sydney, as a friend; I don’t want to lose our friendship.”

“Yeah,” Sydney croaked out, “friends. Just friends – I get it.” Just friends – yep, that was the kiss of death. So that was the reason for Michael’s unannounced visit. He wanted to assure her that while he did not love her like she loved him he did not want to lose their friendship because it was too important to him. She could definitely handle that since she did not want to lose him either. The only issue would be getting over the mountain of awkwardness she had created with her stupid love admission. Stupid.

“Sydney,” Michael began, that time with an amused smile. “You’re not listening to what I’m saying, are you?”

“Yes I am. You just said I’m your friend,” she summarized his speech back to him with just that one sentence. Again, Michael smiled with amusement and, before Sydney could even blink, he leaned forward and gave her a kiss on the lips.

Sydney’s first reaction was to remind herself that she actually needed to breathe – Breathe! Once that was accomplished, she blinked and questioned in shock, “Why did you do that?”

“Because I love you, idiot,” he laughed softly. “Okay, so I might not be in love with you like you are with me but…but that doesn’t mean I don’t have feelings for you. Contrary to what you said, I don’t just think of you as ‘one of the guys’. I am well aware of the fact that you’re a girl – a beautiful girl with the most gorgeous brown eyes and the cutest dimples I’ve ever seen in my entire life.”

With this, Sydney blushed and cracked a small yet dimple filed involuntary smile. Had he really just said that to her? “Michael,” she managed to mumbled out with embarrassment.

“I’m serious. So maybe I never really thought of it before, but I have been known to have some jealous moments when you were with some guy who I didn’t approve of. Then, after you left on Sunday, I sat at that rink for another two hours just thinking about you, about us and I realized dozens of things I never thought of before – like how beautiful you are and how you’re the coolest girl on the planet,” he told her with a smile. She smiled back.

“If you’re willing, I’d like to maybe… maybe try a relationship between us. Who knows? It might be really awesome since, you know, you are my best friend and all. Besides, maybe this whole crazy thing has been right in front of us all along. I mean, what two males and females get along better than us, huh? We love the same sports and movies. Could be kinda perfect,” he smiled.

Sydney laughed softly with utter disbelief. “Are you serious?!”

“What do you think?” he responded. Then, he leaned forward, cupped her face with his hands, and gave her a longer kiss. That time, Sydney responded by leaning towards him and kissing back.

Suddenly, she pulled back and demanded, “Wait, did you break up with Alice?”

“Sunday night,” he responded with a grin.

She laughed, happily that time. “Then what took you so long?!”

“Well I didn’t want to seem too much like I was on the rebound,” he smiled. Again she laughed and leaned forward to give him another kiss.

After a long, searing, much-anticipated kiss, Sydney pulled back and nuzzled her face against his before locking her arms around his neck. “You know,” she said softly, “the other guys on the team aren’t going to like this at all…”

“Eh, they’ll live,” Michael concluded. When he leaned back, he saw Sydney’s eyes sparkling with something other than the pure joy that they were both feeling at that moment. “Hey, you’re crying,” he pointed out as he reached a thumb forward to brush her cheeks dry. “You’re not going to start going all chick on me now are you?”

“Hey,” she said, shoving him playfully as she sniffed back her tears. “I am a chick.”

“You know,” he began playfully, pulling her closer to him, “I had noticed that actually.”

Epilogue (Part 5)

~Six Months Later~

“Well,” Tim began with a heavy sigh, “Jamie filed for divorce.”

All the men (plus Sydney) stopped rummaging through their gear and let out sympathetic sighs. For a few months, Tim and his former model wife, Jamie, had been having difficulties. They were in couples counseling, but it appeared their union just was not salvageable. “Is it all about the not wanting kids thing?” Sydney asked, knowing that was their main issue. Tim wanted children, but Jamie refused to ruin her perfect figure. Their therapist suggested adoption, Jamie revealed that she never wanted children; apparently, she disliked them.

“Mostly, but its other stuff too,” Tim said sadly.

“Sorry man,” Michael said, giving his back a firm pat. Tim gave him a half smile.

“Think of it this way,” Brad chimed in hopefully, “now Bristow and Vaughn aren’t the only single ones!”

Both Sydney and Michael smiled softly to themselves at this comment, but did not make eye contact. Throughout their six-month relationship they had somehow managed to keep the whole thing a secret from their teammates. Of course, this most likely because the only time they saw their fellow skaters was during practices or pick-up games; they rarely saw them otherwise, thus secrecy was easier to keep up. Tim, Brad and the others were completely oblivious to the fact that Sydney and Michael were practically living together and had been for a few months.

As it turned out, their romantic relationship was just as perfect as Sydney dreamed it to be. Their friends to lovers transition was seamless and soon Michael was just as in love with her as she was with him. They were deliriously happy, as were their parents, amazingly. Of course Sydney’s father liked Michael due to his hockey fixation, but his parents liked her as well and they were all glad their children were finally happy.

“Actually,” Michael began casually, “I’m not single.”

“Oh right we forgot your secret girlfriend,” Brad said with a notable eye roll.

“Exactly,” Michael smiled. “Things are pretty serious between us.” With this comment, Sydney’s ears perked. Was he really going to talk about their relationship with her standing right there? Was she to pretend not to hear, or could she participate, play along?

“Pretty serious? But how long has it been? A few months?” Tim asked.

“Yeah but she’s, you know, it – the one,” he said. Sydney fought to keep her gasp trapped in her throat as tears burned in her eyes. Quickly, she turned her back to the rest of the group so that they would not see her.

“Actually,” Michael continued, “I’m thinking of proposing soon… you know, when she least expects it.”

“Whoa, dude for real?!” Tim exclaimed as the other guys commented as well. Sydney, on the other hand, could hardly breathe. She was desperately fighting the urge to spin around and pounce on Michael and give him a searing kiss, despite the fact that the guys were watching.

Feeling her legs begin to collapse beneath her, Sydney flopped down onto the bleachers and reached for her skates. When she lifted the left one up, she heard something strange rattling inside. Confused, she plunged her hand down into the boot, where her hand came in contact with something small and square. Pulling it out, she found that it was a small jewelry case and could not stop herself from gasping aloud.

After a minute of staring at the box in her hand, she cautiously glanced up towards the cluster of men towards her left. For the most part, they were still conversing with each other over Michael’s sudden admission, but Michael had his eyes trained directly on her. Slowly, the others noticed this, and looked in her direction as well. When they locked eyes, Michael stood from his position on the bleachers and walked over to her. He had a whole speech planned out, but Sydney had no intentions of hearing it.

The second he was in arm’s reach, she grasped the front of his shirt and pulled him towards her, locking their lips together immediately. After a minute of kissing, Sydney pulled back as a beautiful smile blossomed across her face. “So, uh,” she began softly, “this thing that somehow found its way into my skate…”

“Yeah,” Michael smiled.

“It wouldn’t happen to be for me, would it?”

“Actually I think it might be,” he told her. She grinned even broader, if that was even possible, and kissed him again.

“Dude!” Brad exclaimed. “I totally called this!”

Michael gave Brad a curious look. “You knew Sydney was my secret girlfriend?”

“No… but I totally thought you two were sleeping together!”

Sydney laughed deeply. “Well he was half right…”

“I think with Brad that’s as good as we’re gonna get,” Michael sighed.

:eek:
JANET

WOW

I think that that was the best proposal you have ever written!

At the stadium in her skate with all the guys surronding her and Vaughn JUST revealing his secret girlfriend
I love how he was telling the guys that he was proposing and Syd was all Aw MY GAWD and then he did it

Im like speechless but I love the fact that the team thought they were both sleeping together

seriously janet that rocked!

Very cute & different ending Janet. Glad it was only looking ahead 6 months and not to a wedding & kids.

Brad...he is so the eric of this story! LOL

Back