One Of Them

Although "One of Them" wasn't as exciting as last week's episode, it was still one great hour of television.

It was great to see Danielle again, even if it was only for a few minutes. I guess I should've expected this episode to be a Sayid flashback, because we knew that he was going to be torturing the "other" guy. It was a pretty cool flashback this week, because it showed why and how Sayid became the person that he is.

The tree frog problem was a nice side story to use, because it's nice and simple. When Sawyer and Hurley finally found the frog, I thought Sawyer was starting to feel a little affection toward it, but then......squash!! That wasn't nice! :angry:

Anyway, it was a great episode to see, because we actually learned a few more things about the main characters. I would've liked to see a little more happen, though. 3 out of 4

The next episode (3/1/06 "Maternity Leave" 02x15) looks really cool. I'm thinking that we'll get a lot of information about Libby, and maybe a flashback for her too. Just in case you didn't know, ABC is showing the pilot episodes next week, so we have another re-run week. :(

P.S. -- Was that a picture of Kate I saw that soldier holding toward the end?

P.S. -- Was that a picture of Kate I saw that soldier holding toward the end?

I believe that was her "father".

I unfortunately missed the first half hour so I don't know how I feel about this episode.

Did anybody pick up the symbols the countdown clock revealed? I thought I saw a bird and a rocket or maybe it was an antenna

I believe that was her "father".

I unfortunately missed the first half hour so I don't know how I feel about this episode.

Did anybody pick up the symbols the countdown clock revealed? I thought I saw a bird and a rocket or maybe it was an antenna

I thought that they could have been Heiroglyphics, but I didn't get a good look. :thinking:

^That was Kate's father. Another cool survivor connection.

I thought it was a good hour of tv until the last 15 minutes, then it became great. Mr. Gale is so an Other. The look he gave Sayid when Jack pulled him out of the room was "the tell". Like he's getting away with it. Now the question is why is he there? I believe he intentionally let himself be "trapped" by Danielle. So he must have known she would go to the survivors to tell them what she found. Or at least he was playing the percentages. Also, Henry Gale, the name of Dorothy's uncle in the Wizard of Oz. And the balloon reference, wasn't that the way the Wizard arrived in Oz? Interesting.

There is a lot of speculation that the symbols on the counter are Egyption heiroglyfics (sp). And the symbols do equate to something. Just don't have time to post right now.

I will have to go against you Josh for this one ... I thought this was a really exciting hour of TV ... much more so than last week ...

Sayid met Kate's father ... which is pretty great, seeing the connections ... it looked pretty obvious that Jack would use the countdown to "0" to get Locke to open the safe ... but I felt cheated once he started putting the combination in ... and what we saw was a fragments of some egyptian hieroglyfics (sp.?) ... and we never saw what would happen if the combination is not entered in time ... but I am thinking at the end of season 2 ... we will have it again ... and then we come to "0" ... and then we won't know what happens until season 3 begins ... ;)

I honestly thought this episode was pretty bad as far as Lost goes. Next time (when?) looks better, thankfully.

Maybe it was the material. In any case, I didn't like this episode.

I thought that they could have been Heiroglyphics, but I didn't get a good look. :thinking:
They are definitely Egyptian heiroglyphics--at least some of them. I definitely recognized a few of them. Some equate to a concept, wheras others are phonetic, from what I understand. However, I am no expert and could not tell you what the final combo means, and the second one did not come around. If the final one was the "throwing stick," which it resembled (according to a website I was looking at yesterday), it would mean "enemy." Interesting, huh?

Didn't the Wizard leave Oz in a balloon?......of course I haven't watched the movie in ages so I don't remember a lot of it.
Oh, yes. :lol: Hilarious, huh? Henry Gale arrives in a balloon . . . sounds like a load of "humbug"--as Dorothy might say? Sayid would, wouldn't he? I liked the part where he got with Charlie--Jack's forgotten, and Locke too, but you haven't have you? That Claire was taken and you were left for dead? Sayid hasn't forgotten. Claire's memory was erased . . . but from the promo, it doesn't look like that's a permanent fix. Wonder if that's all part of the game? Seems like this island thing is all one big mind game. Look at the way ol' Gale just lept on it when Sayid went on about how he'd remember what burying his wife would feel like--"What did it feel like???" Who was doing the interrogation, anyway? And with the casting of Gale--Mr Creepy-eyes himself . . . no wonder, huh? ;)

Y'know, one thing I'm liking about Lost is they're not afraid to take the characters to dark places just because people like them. I mean, on Alias lately it's like no one with any kind of fan following can be truly bad. It's disgusting. :puke:

Well, I'd better get going . . . can't wait for the next. ^_^
✌️

I will have to go against you Josh for this one ... I thought this was a really exciting hour of TV ... much more so than last week ...
I guess, in ways, this episode was better than last week's. I mean, "The Long Con" now seems almost like a self-contained episode to me. So, since "One of Them" wasn't self-contained at all, I guess I can see it as being better than last week's episode, because it actually brought us further along in the story.

Let's see if you agree with that. ;)

I guess, in ways, this episode was better than last week's. I mean, "The Long Con" now seems almost like a self-contained episode to me. So, since "One of Them" wasn't self-contained at all, I guess I can see it as being better than last week's episode, because it actually brought us further along in the story.

Let's see if you agree with that. ;)

I will agree with you on that ... ;)

I really liked the episode! It was nice to see the French woman again and Sayid's flashback was really interesting.

Mr. Gale. He's definitely an Other. If he's been on the island for four months then he was there when the plane crashed. He must have heard the crash but he didn't check it out? And why wasn't he more surprised to see other people on the Island? I find it a bit funny that Jack was willing to torture Sawyer in season 1 but now he goes nuts because Sayid is torturing a creepy looking man they found in the jungle.. It'll be interesting to see that they do with Gale and why he's there.

"Cool" message in the hieroglyphics..

thats cool that someone actually got time to find out what those meant ... ;)

I am sure we will have to wait like until next fall to find out what those really mean ...

Jack was willing to have Sayid torture Sawyer--a guy he knew and did not like--because he thought Sawyer was withholding drugs that could save Shannon's life. No doubt Jack would see this as a different circumstance (not that I see that great a distinction; I'm trying to see it from Jack's POV ;)). He thinks Sayid's torturing a potentially innocent man--to see whether he is innocent.

Stepping out of Jack's shoes for a moment and looking at this situation objectively, this "trial by torture" just to test a stranger to determine whether or not he is an "other"? Where does it end? How far do you go before you decide that this "other" isn't just very very good at pretending? When he's dead? Sound familiar? They used to test witches by throwing them into a river. If they floated, they were witches and you had to burn them; if they drowned, they were innocent . . . too bad, though, they were also dead. Let's see, innocent or guilty, if you were accused, you were dead.

Moreover, who says these "others" are even confined to the island? The washer and dryer in the hatch are newer than they should be . . . where did they come from? As they keep pointing out, the survivors seem to have been hand-picked in some way, maneuvered onto that specific plane. We don't know what happened to the pilot . . . is he the one responsible for ferrying them to the right spot? How do they communicate with people outside, and it seems there has to be a way on and off the island--certainly for washer-driers.

How long is it before someone gets the bright idea that an "other" might have been planted among the passengers on the plane? Sooner or later they could have an internal witch hunt.

But back to Jack. Jack wants to form an army to combat the "others," yet he doesn't have the stomach for Sayid's activities. Does he think that once they march into the jungle they will automatically know who is an "other" and who is not? That war is a righteous activity and "good" will prevail while "evil" lies down and dies? War is messy and the best seem perhaps even more likely to lay down their lives (since they are the most willing to sacrifice). Do you think he's thought his actions through? I'm not sure he has. Do you think he's willing to accept the consequences of the commitment he's made--especially the commitment he's made on behalf of others? He wants the "others" to pay for the suffering they have caused, but he doesn't seem to understand that this commitment involves a toll of additional suffering. What if Walt is an "other"? What then?

Finally, a little more about the BMG (Big Mind Game(tm)). They take all these people out of the environment they were in, allow them to erase their pasts and start over. They can hit the reset button. What do they do? How can they be manipulated? Which factors are associated with which effects? It sounds like a psych experiment doesn't it? I wonder if the island is packed with surveillance equipment? Is the film & the "button" real or part of the experiment--or a half-truth? ;) Oh well, it's as good a theory as any! :lol:
✌️

Back