one person is all it takes

Title: One Person Is All It Takes
Rating: PG-13 I guess but then it mite be highr cos of the violence and torture an other stuff in it later on – so u have been warned!
Disclaimer: None of the Alias characters belong to me, except a few of my own fictional ones, the rest all belong to J.J.Abrams and his people etc…
A/N: This is completely AU – Nadia doesn’t exist and this is set when Syd is 19. She lives with her mum and Sark (he’s 2 years younger than her) and loadsa other ppl, who they helped train. They all get along all right and work well together, but could the arrival of a new, and younger, operative shake things up.
(bold type is flashbacks and italics is ppl’s thoughts and it switches from diff perspectives – from the characters to my overview so I hope u can keep up!) J

Chptr 1

I was 8 when I first met him. Mum had spoken of him frequently, but we had never encountered one another before and I never understood why until some time after. Naturally, Mum knew all along – it was all part of her elaborate scheme to build up her empire with virtually unstoppable agents working for her, but neither he nor I knew anything of it; that is until we began training together shortly after his arrival.

Looking back, I can remember every detail of our first meeting, our first acknowledgment of the other, our first interaction, and of course our exchange of our ‘oh so fun’ witty banter.

She heard the shutting of the car doors, and she ran quickly to look out the window, before hearing her mothers voice calling her, “Sydney! Come downstairs – they’re here!”

As she descended the long line of stairs before her, she looked up to see young blonde haired boy standing beside Khasinau and her mother. “Sydney, this is Julian. Julian this is my daughter Sydney” The two children eyed each other as if preparing to attack, both wary of the other’s actions and didn’t notice as the two adults retreated out of the room leaving them alone. The suddenly the young boy’s eyes left her and looked up the stairs, “My bedroom this way?” he said in a, slightly certain, British accent and began walking towards the stairs. “Huh? Oh yeah – here I’ll show you; it’s just along from mine! – plus we wouldn’t want you getting lost now would we – a small guy like you in such a big house like this!” Sydney replied, sarcastically. “Couldn’t have that now could we, might accidentally walk into an equally small girls room unannounced!” Julian answered, just as sarcastically, but with a smirk on his face. Sydney returned the smirk, both thinking to themselves, This is gonna be fun!

Present: (10 ½ years later)

A long time had passed since Julian and I had first met, but some things remained the same…
…“Syd, hurry the f*ck up in there would ya – I need in!” he screamed at the closed door of his en suite. Sydney emerged a few moments later clad only in a white towel, her hair soaking wet and dripping all over the wooden floor of his bedroom. “Thank God for that – thought I was gonna have to come in there and join you at that rate!” he said smirking at the site of her half naked. She simply smiled at him seductively, before moving towards his bed. “You do have your own shower – a whole bathroom actually – in your room you know, Irina is quite smart that way! Why do you always insist in using mine, esp. when I need in?” “Because, Julian, why use my own shower when I can have a perfectly good shower in your room while having the fun of watching you get pissed off, in that really sexy way of yours!” he smirked at her last comment and with that she walked out the room, moving her ass from side to side and glancing over her shoulder suggestively, with one of her own smirks placed on her face, and across to her own room, leaving a trail of wet footprints and dripping water on the floor.

He sighed silently to himself before walking into his bathroom to have a shower of his own before going down to breakfast to join the others.

Kitchen (while later):

He entered the kitchen to a racket of shouting and arguing. Sark looked in the direction of the voices to find his friends and fellow operatives arguing over something, which he couldn’t quite make out, but from what he could tell, it had something to do with an upcoming op. He knew something was seriously wrong with the situation, as not only did they never question their orders – no mater how skeptical they may be – but Irina and Khasinau were seated at the table beside them; and they simply knew better than do that sort of thing, esp when they were present, it just wasn’t a good thing to do…

PS plz rd and post what you think – it means a lot!
Thanx
Xxx
:D

Chptr 2

Disclaimer: None of the Alias characters belong to me, except a few of my own fictional ones, the rest all belong to J.J.Abrams and his people etc…

He knew something was seriously wrong with the situation, as not only did they never question their orders – no mater how skeptical they may be – but Irina and Khasinau were seated at the table beside them; and they simply knew better than do that sort of thing, esp when they were present, it just wasn’t a good thing to do…

“What’s up?” Sark asked, approaching the group of teenagers in the corner of the kitchen. His question, however genuinely curious, only resulted in angry glares and questions and comments being bombarded at him from all angles. “Did you know about this?” “Was it your idea?” “Course he knew about it! – he probably encouraged the whole thing, either that or you set it up, Julian” “Yes, ‘ever the spy’ Sark has to do everything he can to keep his precious employer happy with him – God, your like her personal f*cking lapdog!…”

“Enough!” came the abrupt, and angry, roar from the opposite end of the room. They all whirled around to see that Irina had now risen to her feet and was glaring at them impassively as she continued speaking, “I have had enough of your petulant behaviour and turning on each other is not going to get you anywhere – believe me! Now, I have made up my mind and you will follow my instructions…all of you!” and she shot a quick glance at the black girl standing slouchily beside Sydney. “You are going to sit down and listen to what I have to say, whether you like it or not, and then you will carry out what I have planned, before we proceed with our next move – now, sit!” Irina said demandingly. They all dutifully, if not somewhat reluctantly, sat down at the long table.

Irina sat at the head of the table with Khasinau to her right, and they eyed up the others slightly as they took their own seats. Closest to them – and by closest I mean a good few seats along – was Diego Marchiez, with Brooke Iamah across from him. Diego had been born in Italy and moved to America when he was young, and so had the expected dark ‘Italian look’ about him: the dark brown hair with tanned skin and hints of his heritage showing through in his chiseled features. He was a bit of an ‘all rounder’ in the organization – like all of them – but specialized mainly in computers and security and all the tech stuff associated. But despite this, Diego was not the geeky type, no way, he was one hot Italian Stallion!

Brooke, on the other hand, was born and raised in the US. Her specialty was as an interrogator, and she prided herself on being able to use any kind of torture to crack the people assigned to her ‘care’. She had slightly tanned skin – scorched by the American sun – and long wavy dark brown hair that curled slightly, but naturally, around her shoulders and down her back.

Next to them was Simon Walker and Allison Doren across from him. Simon – the Brit with the slightly ‘Cockney’ accent was the thief among them – well he was the best thief among them - at least that’s what he liked to think anyway. He had black hair and green eyes, and like the other guys was hot! which often came in handy when they had to talk, or rather charm, their way out of an unexpected situation.

Allison Georgia Doren: an African-American girl with long black/dark brown curly hair, that ‘frizzed’ all over the place. She was quite a tall, pretty girl, but she had apparently been ‘knocked back’ by Simon, which really didn’t sit too well with her at all. This along with her seemingly odd jealousy, if you could call it that, over Sydney and Sark’s ‘friendship’ seemed to contribute greatly to her recent moodiness. It was most likely, however, now going to be due to the operation that was soon to take place and would transform everything forever – Allison never had taken too well to change.

Along from them sat Sark and Syd. He sat at the opposite end of the table to Irina - she gave him a brief, but knowing smile on seeing this, before she spoke. She marveled at how well they contrasted each other: his icy blue eyes with her chocolate browns ones; his golden blonde hair and her slightly dark chestnut; her warmth and openness to show emotion and love towards others, and his cold detachment from everything around him. She reveled in the fact that it was what lay between them that drew her attention towards them and felt quite smug when she thought of how she had always known what they would share – but was she ryt this time…

Ps. Plz rd this and post ure thoughts – it means a lot 2 me! U have no idea!
Thanx
Xxx

:D Chptr 3

It appeared that Sark was the only one who did not know anything of the new development, but that wouldn’t last long. Irina began, “ Now, as you already know I intend to bring in a new operative - ” This shocked Sark, but he had been trained well, and kept his face expressionless as he listened as Irina continued, “- a young girl; Steph” At this she slid folders along the table towards them. They each opened them to be greeted by a picture of a smiling girl.

She was a pretty kid, with brown hair and what looked like naturally blonde highlights – something about them just doesn’t look fake, thought Syd, blue eyes and some freckles. She was holding something in her hands as she was sitting with her knees up on a seat, on what looked like a decking of some sort and the glint in her eyes told Sydney, and probably some of the others – well, definetly Sark neway – if they’d noticed, that whatever she was looking at made her truly happy, but Sydney saw the hint of sadness behind them and suddenly felt a jolt of pity for the young girl, yet was unsure why.

As she flicked through the pictures, she came to another. The girl was standing within a group of what Sydney could only assume were her friends. They all appeared to be having a good time as they were laughing and joking. The girl was quite small in comparison to the rest of the kids, but by no means was she an unnoticed presence. It was clear to all of them that she was obviously very highly regarded by the others around her as the look on their faces and in their eyes was of admiration as well as warmth, and love.

Sydney was the first to turn the page and what she saw shocked her so much that she couldn’t help but let out a little ‘yelp’ in a mix of surprise and horror. Brooke spun round to face her saying, “What?” before also turning the page. She too was shocked by what she saw and raised her hand to cover her mouth in reaction and took in a sharp breath.

Now Brooke Iamah was not easily shocked. Neither was Sydney for that matter, but Brooke had seen far worse things in her life than Syd and, well she just never reacted emotionally – that is until now. Unlike Sydney she rarely showed her true feelings about matters like this – no matter how sickening or disturbing they may be – she just didn’t. She knew better than to show emotion around others, and refused to give anyone the opportunity to use it against her – and so seldom, if ever, had Sydney ever seen her break down her defenses like that.

She was quite like Sark in that way, Sydny thought. Of course even he had shown a hint of sadness for the scene before them. Naturally, it was not shown on his face, but Sydney had seen a glimpse of it in his eyes before they were back to their cool blue once again.

The page they were all staring at with stunned expressions, contained numerous photos of various horrifying situations - each more terrible than the next. There were pictures of a little girl covered in dirt, crouched on the ground or standing, in front of a burning building. She looked such a sorry sight; her torn clothes covered in blood and ash, and her little face darkened by the smoke except 2 thick lines that drew from her eyes all down her face as she cried out for someone who could never hear her, who could never respond to her, who could never return to her.

Others were of a boy lying strewn across a road, thrown from the smashed car beside them in the crash. They progressed through the stages as he made his way to the car where he pulled a woman and young girl out. The woman was dead, but the young girl was still alive, just.

Then there were the photos of a girl, she was older now they all recognized, kneeling in an alleyway cradeling the body of a boy in her arms. The moonlight shone down on them and illuminated her face, and suddenly Sydney felt a prang of sorrow within her. The girl’s black mascara was running freely down her face as she held onto the lifeless body. She was rocking them back and forth and could not seem to be settled at all by the other boy at her side. He was trying furiously to calm her down, even a little, but did not appear to be succeeding. Then Sydney flicked to the picture behind and suddenly let out, “Oh no!” in quite a sad regretful tone. The camera had switched view and the girl was now resting her head on the other boy’s shoulder. The boy’s body was still being held tightly in her grasp, but there was now a clear image of who he was. There had been individual photos of people associated with the girl: family, friends and anyone else who came in close contact with her. As soon as she saw it the previous image of a young girl playing happily on the swings as an older boy pushed her came back into her mind, and she felt awful. She felt sad for the boy, but moreover for the little girl who would never smile like that ever again, for the reason behind the smile had been taken away, and would never return.

As if sensing she needed comfort, even without seeing the tears now beginning to form in her eyes or hearing the little outburst from earlier, Sark reached his hand over to where hers lay discarded on the table and gently placed his over it, and squeezed it reassuringly. It all suddenly became too much for her, and Sydney quickly and clumsily pushed back her chair and ran out of the room in tears. Sark made to go after her, but Irina stopped him, “Leave her – One of you needs to be here so you can be prepped for your mission” Sark sat back down, although quite begrudgingly.

Then, before anyone could hear what Irina had to say, Allison spoke, quite heartlessly too, “So, what happened to the little brat then? And why is she coming here? How old is she anyway, she can’t be more than 16, 17 – and it’s not like we need anymore people, we’ve got enough here”. Irina shot her a glare saying, “Allison, I will decide who joins my organization, ok?” and before the girl could respond, Irina continued, “It is true, she is has not had the best time of it over the years, but ryt now she is doing well so no-one is to bring up what has happened to her, or you will not live to regret it. The pictures you see before you are of various instances in her life. When she was 8, she and her father were caught in a house fire. Her father died protecting her, and although she escaped the blaze, she sustained some major burns and several injuries. Then 2 ½ years later, she, her mother and her older brother were involved in a car crash. Steph’s mother died instantly, but her brother managed to pull them both from the wreckage. For the next few years he looked after her. They grew even closer and the only boy whose friendship he ever truly approved of was of this boy, Conor.” At this Irina slid a picture of a young boy along to each of them. He was quite a good looking kid, with brown hair and blue eyes and just as they realized where they had seen him before, Irina carried on speaking, “ Yes, he is the same boy that was with her when her brother was killed. And no, I am not going to tell you what happened. All I will say is that he too died protecting her, and if it comes down to it – you will do the same. Now, as I previously said, you are not to mention anything of her past, or her life at present. You will only engage in the topic if she brings it up, otherwise there is to be no talk of it. Now when Sydney and Sark arrive back in a few days, the same rules will apply to the rest of you. Steph can be extremely unpredictable and I am not going to risk her state of mind, or life for that matter, if she decides to kill one of you when you provoke her - ” she said in a serious tone. On seeing Allison’s sarcastic look of belief she added, “- and believe me, Allison – and the rest of you – not only will she not hesitate in using the necessary force, if she wants to kill you she will succeed – and more to the point, I won’t stop her if she does!”

With that, Irina stood up and began walking towards the door, saying, “Sark, Khasinau will give you the necessary details of your mission” Then just as she reached the doorway, she turned around and looked at Allison and said with a smile, “Oh, and you were wrong by the way – about her age – she’s only just turned 15. She always has been able to carry herself well.” And left with a smirk.

Ps i prob wont b posting anothr chptr for a bit until my exams r kinda outta the way so i thought id b nice and post 1 just now while i had the chance - so anyway, hope u enjoy and post any ideas or anything - itll b greatly appreciated
thanx
xxx

aw thanx! - so sweet!
neway my exams r like nxt wk onwards but i really havnt done ne studyin so im kinda screwed! - lol
but thanx 4 readin an ill post nxt chance i get
xxx

hye there!
so the next chapters kinda short an i prob wont b posting again till next weekend cos all my exams finish next week part from eng which is the week after! - lucky me lol :P
neway i thot id be nice an post 2 so hope u enjoy and keep posting ure thots and any ideas you have feel free to email me them, ya never know i mite work them in somehow, but no promises so, here ya go...

Chptr 4

Khasinau gave Sark the necessary paperwork and went over the specifics before also leaving. They all looked at each other, not quite sure what too make of all of it. Simon was the first to speak, “pretty, i’nt she” It was more of a statement than a question and earned him an eye roll from Allison and a glare from Brooke. Diego and Sark simply smiled at him and Diego muttered, “mmmhhmmm! – that she is!”

“De, she’s just a kid!” Brooke exclaimed in mock surprise and playfully slapped him on the arm. It was Sark who spoke next, “She’s only 2 years younger than us, Brooke - ” but on seeing her glare, he coughed slightly and added, “Even so – De, Si you can’t talk about her like that, she’s gonna be working with us and she deserves our respect!” on saying this he looked over at Brooke, who gave him a fake, but appreciative smile. Then Allison piped up, “Ye, well she’s gonna have to earn it, cos I sure as hell ain’t gonna treat her like she deserves it without her proving she does!” “Ye, ok, but the fact still remains that she is going to be joining us. She must be of high importance to Irina if she’s willing to let us die over her, plus the way she was speaking it was like she had known her for a long time.” Sark said in response. Diego backed up Sark’s point, but asked the question they had all been thinking, “Ye, but what kind of significance could she lead, I mean, she’s never been mentioned before.” “That’s not strictly true”…

…”Syd, I was gonna come and see you soon, after we’d finished” Sark stated, after seeing Sydney leaning against the doorframe. Her eyes were red from crying and her face was pale. “What do you mean, Syd?” Brooke asked her friend. “I mean, exactly that – she has been mentioned, just not to us. I’ve heard my mum and Khasinau speak of a little girl on more than one occasion and before you say anything, I know it’s her they were talking about, they referred to her by name.” “Why didn’t you say something before?” It was Brooke questioned Syd again. “An say what precisely? That I’d heard my mum talking about a kid who we know nothing about? For all I knew it could’ve been anyone, besides my mum was hardly going to tell me now was she” Sydney replied, in a slightly harsh tone. They all bowed their heads, realizing that she was ryt – Irina would never tell any of them more than she wanted them to know, and she wasn’t about to tell Sydney about a girl who was obviously of great importance to her, suddenly just because Syd was curious - even if Syd was her daughter.

They didn’t speak, only went their separate ways.

Chptr 5

A/N: just so you know I really couldn’t be bothered putting in all the exact times – mainly cos I’d then have 2 wrk them out due to the time diff and that’s just too much work! – so sorry if it makes it more confusing, but there ya go!
Oh and the reason I went so in depth about the skl is cos I kinda based it on mine – what can I say im really sad I no, but there ya go – plus it added to the story, at least I hope it did!

Later that night:
Sark and Sydney were to leave in a few hours, but everyone was still up. Syd was going over the final arrangements with Irina. Sark was on his way to the weapons and training room to find Simon and Diego, when Brooke, who was also looking for Diego, stopped him. Together they made their way along the rest of the corridor to the room. They descended the few stairs at the door to find Simon and Diego playing darts against the wall with knives, and Allison looking on with an amused look. “You really are that bad, aren’t you guys!” Brooke exclaimed at the sight before her. “We are not! – see…” Simon answered back, and pointing to the wall where their knives now were. Brooke had to stifle a laugh as she looked at the boys’ attempts at hitting their target – they weren’t that bad, remember they had been trained by Irina and Khasinau, but they weren’t exactly spot on their targets either. “Looks like we’ll have to have some knife practice when we get back!” Sark exclaimed sarcastically with a smirk on his face.

They spent a while there, before Sydney came and joined them. The next little while was spent laughing and joking around, before they all made their way out to the front for Syd and Sark’s departure. Irina was the only one who spoke saying, “Good luck – just so you know, she’s been known to make quite the first impression, but I suppose you’ll find that out for yourselves soon enough!”

Next day (house):
“So, what do you think the new girl’ll be like?” Simon questioned his friend over lunch. “You really seem to be interested in her, are you?” Diego countered. “What? No! – I’m just curious, I mean we’ve all known, lived and worked with each other for ages and I’m just wondering how she’ll take that, that’s all?” Simon answered, in quite an unsure tone – as if he was trying to convince himself more than anyone else.

“Well, it’s nice to know you’re so concerned with our new operative’s well-being, but I’m sure she’ll fit in just fine, Simon” Irina said, appearing in the room with them. She walked over to where they were seated at the table and placed a folder in front of each of them. “I have a small matter I would like you to take care of, the girls will be attending another issue, similar to your own and…you should be back in time for Sydney and Sark’s return – so do not worry about not meeting her Simon” Irina said, casting a glance over towards the teenager. “Wha-” he said, looking up, but as soon as he caught her eye he stopped and went back to reading over the files. “Now, this mission may not seem much, but I assure you it is of the utmost importance that you do not fail – you will not like the consequences if you do, I can assure you of that. I do not want to hear of a botched job – the man is to be killed, not left scarcely alive to make him suffer, killed – do I make myself clear?” On seeing their expressions she knew that she had gotten through to them and so left them alone once again.

Later the same day (Scotland):
Sark and Syd walked down the center of the city eyeing up everyone and everything around them. “You know, from what I can tell, it’s still school time – shouldn’t we check for our little operative there first before you go and decide to max out this month’s credit card!” Sark said with a smirk. She hated to admit it, but she knew he was ryt, so they turned around and made their way back up the street.

When they reached the top of the street, they proceeded to climb a hill before coming to a large redstone building and stopping momentarily in front of it, before they carried on up to the main entrance and into reception. They gave their aliases and made up some ‘c*ck and bull’ story about why they needed to see the kid. The receptionist was pretty gullible, in Sark’s opinion, esp. for someone who worked in a place full of kids. She led them to several different classes – after she finally found the kid’s timetable – only to find that the girl was either out on an errand, at the med. room, away at some ‘tutor’ appointment, or just generally hadn’t turned up.

As they made their way between the 3 senior school buildings, trying to catch up with the girl or retrace her steps, Sark looked around and noticed the absence of security of any kind – well unless you counted the code needed to enter the buildings, but that could be cracked easily – well, if you knew how that is and they certainly did (not that they needed to with their own personal guide, of course)

They pay £8000 a year for this! – there isn’t even so much as a security camera whatsoever, anywhere in or around the school – I mean there’s 4 buildings associated with the school (the other was the junior school across the road) for God’s sake! – what do people have to do to have a little decent protection these days. Sark thought to himself. He was getting rather worked up by the minute about this situation and he wasn’t really sure why, but all he knew was Irina wanted the girl, so that was what they would do. Granted £8000 was like pennies, well almost, to him and Syd alike – he could easily spend that on a decent suit, but you’d think they could at least invest in a little more security for their kids – they are meant to be the most important people in your life. Sark thought. Not that he really knew or anything.

Same time (elsewhere):
Allsion and Brooke crept stealthily into the facility and took out their target without much bother. The only trouble that occurred was when they went to leave and another man in their files arrived followed by 2 heavily armed guards. Knowing Irina would most definetly not want him, or his ‘goons’ alive, they effectively took them out also, before collecting the specified documents and exiting the building. Their mission, like the other’s had been a simple assassination job. No questions were ever asked about these jobs – especially these jobs – for that would make them too personal, and personal was not something you wanted when about to kill someone in cold blood. True, they were often curious why they were ordered to kill certain people and not other’s, but Irina always had good reason, esp. since these kind of jobs did not occur very often – they attracted too much attention to organizations. But the fact that both Allison and Brooke, and Simon and Diego had been ordered on missions of this type, made the situation all the more intriguing surrounding the arrival of their new operative, because for them one assassination was unusual, but two was virtually non-existent esp. simultaneously like this was.

On their return home, they received confirmation that Diego and Simon’s mission had also gone well. Irina will be pleased, thought Brooke to herself after Allison reported back the news she had received from Simon on the phone. Both of their missions had been successful, now the only question that remained was, would Sark and Sydney’s be?

hope u liked it and thanx again for readin, i really appreciate it!
xxx

Chptr 6 (part 1)

A/N: I’ve put this chapter in 2 parts cos it wos really long when I was typing it so here’s part 1

While later (Scotland):
Lunch had come and gone and Sark and Syd had still not caught sight of their new operative and they were beginning to get a little more than p*ssed off, to say the least. There was just over 1 hr left of the schoolday and they didn’t want to have to follow the kid home or over the weekend – they shouldn’t have to – it should just be a simple job “I mean, she’s just a school kid for Christ’s sake!” Sydney voiced the last part without meaning to, only to hear a voice say, “Ye, well, she’s so far outdone you two!” But when Syd whirled around, there was no-one there. Smart, kid, real smart! Syd thought in a sarcastic, yet at the same time genuine and sincere manner.

Sark made his annoyance known to the receptionist - what could he say, he just despised ineptitude, “Ok, I’m beginning to get annoyed with your now seemingly high level of incompetence – it would have been thought pretty simple to track down a child in your school, esp. since all of her classes are on record, but this would appear not to be the case, as you have so generously shown us! But I’ve since grown tired of this charade, I told you how important it is that I see her, so you either take me to her now or find someone who will!” his voice was now definetly threatening with his cold eyes staring straight at the woman, before he planted a fake smile on his face saying, “Thank-you” to complete the ‘act’ when the women respectfully complied and led them to the girl’s next class.

Home (about the same time):
Allison and Brooke arrived home to find that Diego and Simon were already their waiting for them. Brooke went up to her room to shower before their new arrival came and Allison went to the kitchen for something to eat. Diego and Simon followed Allison in the hope that she might make them something to eat – not that they couldn’t make it themselves, they simply didn’t feel like it. She grudgingly obliged, but enjoyed the sarcastic comments she made them endure as a result, so it wasn’t all bad for either party involved – Simon and Diego got their food and Allison got her fun in return. After Allison had finished, she too went up to shower, but only because she had no intention of greeting their new arrival as soon as she came, like the rest of them, and this way she wouldn’t be ready and so had a good excuse. Brooke appeared in the doorway, her hair still slightly damp and Diego went over to her and greeted her with a kiss before offering to dry her hair for her, ever so sweetly. She accepted the suggestion and together they made their way back to her room. Simon, in response to being left alone, made his way to the training room to work out and pass the time while everyone else was busy – not as he waited for Sark and Sydney to return, he tried so desperately to tell himself, but it really wasn’t working that well.

Bit later (Scotland):
They went to the last class of the day and there she was – albeit looking completely different from the photographs Irina gave them, the more recent ones that is – sitting at her desk, staring absentmindedly out of the window beside her.

It had to be her, they thought, she may look different but she was the only girl there in the small class of ten – which currently had no teacher present, security and incompetence, Sark was reminded of – just like Irina had said she would be.

She had black hair, with a choppy fringe and her hair flicked out at the ends. It was different lengths and she had eletrik blue and turquoise lowlights at different stages through her hair. The girl turned around as they entered further into the room and said, “About time – it took you long enough to catch up with me!” she said to them. On seeing Sark’s impassive look, she smiled simply saying, “Don’t give me that look, I ain’t gonna cut you any slack, Irina said you were the best!” before evenly rising from her seat and walking towards them.

The receptionist had left a while ago, and it was only Sark and Syd in the room with the kids. The other pupils were eyeing them up curiously as if unsure of whether they should be allowing the girl to speak so freely to them, but they knew better than to question her judgment, so simply resigned to sitting in their seats and staring.

The girl turned when she reached them and said to the others in the room, “Cya guys – I won’t be coming back, so good luck with everything.” On seeing the look of the 2 boys who had been seated closest to her she said, “An before you say anything, you never really needed my help – plus it might do ya both some good to do your own work for once!” and she winked at them and turned away and began walking towards the door. As she was leaving the class, she looked back at the 2 boys saying, “But I suppose there’s always Gianni!” and she winked in the direction of a boy sitting opposite them and then left smiling.

When she looked back she noticed that neither Sark nor Sydney were following her and called back, “Are you coming or what?” She was about to carry on walking when something stopped her dead in her tracks…

thanx for reading i really appreciate it - i should be updating nxt wk somethime cos i finish 4 my easter hols on fri so hopefully
xxx

Chptr 6 (part 2)

…”Cya Stephy!”

She whirled around to see a boy sitting at the back of the classroom swinging on his chair and looking rather smug with himself. The girl shot him an evil glare and advanced towards him. Sark and Sydney could tell something was wrong with the situation by the expressions on everyone else’s faces; they had looks of anticipation in their eyes, yet more so of fear of what would happen next and they could tell that the situation was not entirely knew to the other pupils. One of the boys stood up and grabbed the girl’s wrist in an attempt to stop her from whatever she was about to do. Even Sark and Sydney could tell that she was about to do something by the look of rage in her eyes.

Suddenly her eyes glazed over and it was like there was a thunderstorm growing in her eyes – her previously bright blue eyes were now glossed with shades of dark blue and white, which were furiously swirling around as if the colour that triumphed would determine the girls actions – the midnight blue won out.

The boy still had a firm grip around her wrist, but she merely shot a look at him and he let go, but not without speaking to her first. It was so quiet that Sark and Sydney had to strain to hear it, but they did, hear it.

“Steph, please…don’t, he didn’t mean it! Come on don’t do this!” the boy said to her in an almost pleading tone. She turned to face him, the ocean blue reappearing for a moment, “No, Daryl he did mean it – and we both know it, so let go of my arm” “No, Steph, I’m not gonna let you do this – it’s not you!”. She was about to reply when the boy at the back spoke once again, “Come on, Stephy what are you waiting for…”

Her gaze averted to the boy at the back of the room, but before she could move, he grabbed her arm once again saying, “No Steph, he’s not worth it!” She turned to him, and Sark and Sydney could have sworn they saw a hint of regret in her eyes at that moment, and said, “I no, but he is!”, and at that he let go of her arm and let her do what she was going to do without further resistance.

She spun round and before anyone knew what was happening she had sent a pencil flying through the air and straight into the back wall, directly beside the boy’s head. The boy now had a look of sheer terror on his face and simply sat frozen, the chair positioned at the angle he had been swinging at. Everyone else had shocked expressions, but none were nearly as surprised as the boy’s – for they all seemed to have some sort of inkling that she would do something, granted they had no idea it would be like this, but they knew she just wasn’t going to let it go.

Sark and Sydney had learned to keep emotion from playing on their faces in situations like this, but even they could not mask their short stunned reactions at the girl’s action – esp. since Sark could see it was still present in Sydney’s eyes.

Sark and Sydney was staring at the scene that had unfolded before them, in somewhat disbelief, when suddenly the girl spoke and it penetrated their thoughts.

She looked at him, fury flashing in her eyes and said, in a threatening tone, “You do that again, and I swear to God, Andrew, the next time I won’t use so much self-control and you’ll be left with a pencil as a permanent erection!” The others looked as if the were about to either laugh or applaud her, but were too afraid of what she’d do – they knew she’d never intentionally hurt them, but they’d never seen her like that before and Hell, she was probably capable of a lot worse than she’d just shown.

She began walking away towards Sark and Syd and out of the door, when she turned back to her friends, smiled at them then waved as she began walking out of the door. She caught sight of the boy at the back opening his mouth and before anyone knew what was happening she had sent another pencil whizzing past them and straight into its target – ryt between his legs – saying, “In fact, why wait?!?”

She shot the boy an innocent smile before walking out the class and out of their lives forever.

When she realized that she was once again, walking alone, she held up the keys to Syd’s Porsche saying, “So where d’you park?” before steeling a glance over her shoulder and winking cheekily at them and continuing, with a smile placed firmly on her face – they were never gonna forget her, but now she would sure as Hell be remembered; Well, so I should be she thought to herself, after the little stunt he pulled back there – there was no way I was gonna let him away with that

Sark and Sydney looked at each other briefly, and by the smirk on Sark’s face, Sydney knew they were both thinking the same thing, “She’s good!”

PS plz read this and post ure thoughts - i mean it, any help is greatly appreciated!
thanx
xxx

Chptr 7

“I’ve just received word that all went well on Sydney and Sark’s mission and they should be arriving back later on tonight” Irina told the rest of them as they sat in the training room. “I just read over your reports and it would seem that all went well on yours’ also, so for that I congratulate you all and hope that you will keep up the good work in future. Now I know that there will be some changes once Steph arrives, but I want you to show her the respect she deserves and treat her as one of you – after all, she soon will be!”

Surprisingly, it was Brooke who asked the question they all wanted the answer to, “Irina, what job exactly will she be doing, I mean haven’t we all covered every angle there is?” She asked it in a genuinely curious manner, not a sarcastic or condescending tone, to which Irina was glad and so answered her question honestly, “You are ryt Brooke, you all cover the nescessities very well, but Steph has specialties in other fields – which I believe you will all find out for yourselves, have Sark and Sydney not witnessed them yet” – well, she couldn’t exactly give everything away, now could she; it would simply be no fun, now would it.

“Ok, but what took them so long, I mean weren’t they supposed to be home by now – or just about anyway?” Diego asked. “That is correct, but it would appear Steph gave them a little trouble when they were trying to locate her and as a result were forced to delay their return due to consequential matters that occurred -”, Irina began answering, and was about to elaborate, but was interrupted, rather unintentionally, by Allison; who had spoken out her feelings “God only knows how, I mean they’re meant to be some of the top operatives, are they not and they are outsmarted by a mere schoolchild! – must be losing their touch”, she said the last bit with slight contempt for both them and the situation. “Yes, well, as true as that may be, I am sure you will find out the full extent of our “mere schoolchild’s” capabilities when they arrive, so until then Allison, I suggest you learn to accept that Steph will be joining us and find a way to deal with it by the time they get here!” and with that Irina left them alone in the room.

“Ok, so anyone else getting the vibe that there’s way more going on here than we’re being told?” Simon asked. “Of course there is mate, but then isn’t there always!” Diego replied. “I suppose, but this feels different – it feels like there’s something really important going on – I mean, why do we always have to be last to be told of everything, shouldn’t we be like, told straight away or something – esp. if I’m ryt about it being about the new girl!” Brooke exclaimed.

“What do you mean?” Allison asked her. “Well, De and I were talking, ryt and there’s definetly more to this than we’re being told, I mean, suddenly – out of the blue – they decide to bring in this girl, Steph ryt?” she took the others’ looks of understanding as confirmation to go on, “Well the way Irina was speaking about her it was as if they’d known her, or at least about her, for ages – so why are they only bringing her in now? Plus if I am ryt and everything that’s been going on has been to do with her, then she is really important and since we’re going to be working with her and all, and are expected to trust her…shouldn’t we be told if there’s anything major going on surrounding her?”

“Ye, well maybe she doesn’t even know about it herself, in which case why should we be told before the girl!” Allison said, which stunned the others slightly as she had previously seemed really against the girl, but maybe she was just doing as Irina had said and accepting it – after all, there wasn’t exactly much she could do about it, now was there.

plz read and tell me what u think - im on my eastr hols jus now so ill prob b posting quite a bit - lucky u!
thanx
xxx

Chptr 8

A/N: this chapter’s quite long – well not that long, but I think it’s longer than the previous so just ta warn ya!

They all had dinner, and then went out to mess about by the pool, as it was still sunny. The other’s still hadn’t arrived yet so they figured that they’d waste some time outside before they had to do the ‘meet and greet’.

The boys were lounging by the pool when the girls walked into their lines of vision. “Wow!” Diego exclaimed and moved over to make room for his girlfriend on the sun-lounger, who happily obliged. She was dressed in a pink bikini that had red/yellow and white spots, which blended perfectly with her sun-kissed skin. Allison simply lay down on the sun-lounger next to Simon’s. He knew she was attractive, but he just didn’t want to get into that with her. She had on a green halter-neck bikini with ties at either side of her bikini bottoms. It suited her well, Simon thought, it accentuated her curves and stood out well against her dark skin.

After a while of lying on the beds, Diego and Brooke joined Simon and Allison in the pool for a swim. They spent the next while out there – there was no real rush, since they still had not heard anything of the other’s arrival.

A While Before (Scotland):
– the time diff makes them simultaneous events, but at different times, if that makes any sense, prob not!

“So, are you gonna tell me your names or am I gonna have to find that out myself?” Steph asked the two people sitting in front of her. They were in Syd’s Porsche, on their way out of the city center when the question arose, and they realized that they hadn’t actually told her who they were. “I’m Sark and this is Sydney!” Sark stated gesturing to Syd who was driving. “Sark, Sark…” the girl muttered to herself, then said louder, “Wait that’s an island off the coast of England isn’t it?” At their looks of acknowledgment, she carried on, “Ye, it is – I knew I’d heard of it – it’s a small agricultural island with a population of about 584 - probably more come to think of it, it was recorded in 1971 – and it stretches 5 sq. km” Sark and Sydney just looked at each other, with slightly puzzled expressions on their faces as the girl seated behind them continued speaking, “It’s in the English Channel, East of Guernsey – one of the Channel islands, and it’s divided into ‘Great Sark’ and ‘Little Sark’, and they’re connected by a natural causeway known as the Coupee” The girl took a dramatic, deep breath before saying, “I could go on if you want, I remember more about it now!” “No, really it’s ok!” Syd said with a laugh, “So, how d’you know all that anyway?” she asked curiously. “Oh, I read a pretty good atlas a few weeks back and when you mentioned it, I just kinda remembered!” “Wait, are you telling me that you recited that from a book you’d read a while back?” Sark said, quite shocked by this announcement, “Mmmhhmmm!” the girl simply replied, to which he stated, “…And you don’t find that in the least bit odd!” “Not really, I’ve always been like that – just got a good memory for things that’s all, but now you’ve gone and made me say that I’ve probably jinxed it or something” the girl said with a smile. (think Klaus Baudelaire, or however you spell it, from ‘Lemony Snicket’s A Series Of Unfortunate Events – but a girl and kinda diff – think of the memorizing everything he’s read part)

“Ok…”Sark said, choosing to just accept it rather than press further, “…What other places d’you remember reading about?” “Loads! – pick one and I’ll do my best…God, I feel like a friggin gypsey person or somethin’” she laughed, “Anyway, pick a place and I’ll see what I can remember about it” “ok…Galway!” Sark stated. At Sydney’s quizzical look, he said, “What, that’s where I came from, plus it’s the first place that came to mind after LA!” “Ok, Galway, let’s see – now I take it you mean the ‘urban district’, ok, then – you know, it’s just ‘cos they gave 2 places, but I really think they’re pretty much the same, but neway! – Galway – West Republic of Ireland, on Galway Bay, an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean. Near the mouth of the Corrib River. Tourism, food processing , and the production of textiles and furniture are major industries. Galway was first - ”

Sark had turned round towards the back seat, and was shocked at what he saw. He hit Sydney on the arm, to get her attention and she too glanced briefly round, “It’s like she’s in a sort of trance or something!” Sydney said in quite a low tone, at the sight of the young girl, who was seated behind them, eyes glazed over and rolled back into her head slightly – it was like she was searching her brain, which was majoryly freaky, thought Syd.

“ – You know I can hear you!” the voice said from the back seat, “Ye – we know!” Sark said, glancing in the rear view mirror and smirking at her, before they went back to listening about Galway.

“As, I was saying”, she gave him a glare, but added a sly smile as she carried on saying, “Galway was first incorporated by Richard II of England in the late 14th century. In 1651, the town was taken by parliamentary forces, and in 1691, it was taken by William III after the Battle of Aughrim…”

The next thing Sydney and Sark knew, they were standing in a grand hallway awaiting their new operative, who had somehow persuaded them to make a detour to her house so she could pick up a few things before they left for home.

“What’s taking her so long, I thought she said she only had to collect some items – I mean how much longer are we gonna have to be here, we can’t risk being exposed too long, Syd!” Sark said, his voice a bit more serious by the end. Sydney laid a gentle hand on his arm saying, “It’s kl! I’ll go see if I can speed her up, an I know, we gotta be going soon!” and with that Sydney ascended the stairs in search of their new operative.

She found her in a large room at the back of the house, rummaging through a wardrobe and hastily throwing items out of it and onto her bed, which lay positioned beside the vast window, overlooking the back garden and the city and contryside beyond.

“Nice view!” Sydney exclaimed looking out of the window. The girl turned around to acknowledge her presence before returning to the cupboard to sort out her clothes. She didn’t turn to face her, but spoke as if she had, “Ye I no! that’s why I like it here…” She trailed off slightly towards the end, and Sydney felt she shouldn’t push the topic, but the girl carried on regardless, “It’s a really amazing view in the winter, you can see the Campsies really well and they look staggering covered in snow against the dark sky” She glanced back to see Sydney slightly puzzled expression over what she was speaking of, so she walked over to her and pointed out the window. “Over there, behind all the buildings and other industrial stuff, the hills – they’re the Campsies!” “Wow!” Sydney exclaimed as the sight truly unfolded before her.

Sydney then turned back to the young girl who had returned to searching through her clothes, and on seeing the younger girl’s outfit said, “Em, you do know that it’s like less than 10 degrees outside!” Steph looked back at her and replied, “Ye…but we are going to California, aren’t we?” in a slightly sarcastic, yet also a little uncertain voice.

“Ye I suppose – it’s nice, by the way – your outfit!” Sydney said with a smile. The girl unconsciously glanced down at her white polo and red beach skirt before returning the smile and saying, “Thanx! – now help me pack or we’ll be here forever!” and the two laughed and set about putting all of the girl’s clothes in her bag.

PS u should no that I just love clothes, which is 1 of the reasons I rite about the ppl’s clothes! – lol, so here u go…

this is Allison’s bikini: (both from American Eagle)
aebik13.jpg

aebik14.jpg

this is Brooke's bikini:
aebik9.jpg

aebik10.jpg

this is Steph's outfit:
White Polo from American Eagle
aetop11.jpg

Red Beach Skirt form American Eagle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/tru...ebeachskirt.jpg

thanx 4 reading + in case u cant b botherd with the pix, u shud prob just skip down once you get to the end of the stories if I mention ppl’s outfits J otherwise u will be pretty bored – lol (an what can I say, I like AE clothes!)
xxx

Chptr 9

As they descended the stairs, the door suddenly opened before them and a boy walked in. He had brown hair and blue eyes and was quite good looking and Sydney recognized him instantly. Steph flew down the stairs and into his open arms, saying to him “You came! – I wasn’t sure if you would make it in time!” “Of course I came – and neither did I!” they looked at each other and smiled and Sydney could tell that they shared something special, that nothing or no-one could ever break. The boy broke away from their embrace for a moment saying quietly to her, “Plus I kinda had to, Dad wanted me to give you these” and he handed the girl a paper pharmaceutical bag, “Oh ye, thanx – I was meant to take them last time I was at yours, but I forgot” she said with a slight bashful smile, “Ye, he thought you’d be needin’ your refills soon, so these should last you a while!” She took the bag off him and pulled him into a warm hug again, only to have it broken again a moment later.

On hearing all the noise, Sark appeared in the doorway of the lounge, beside them saying, “So this was all just a diversion tactic while you waited for your boyfriend to turn up!” in quite an amused tone and a smirk playing across his face. Sydney walked over to his side and playfully slapped him on the arm, to which he simply smiled in return.

“No – Conor’s not my boyfriend!, but ye I had to wait for him to come – you didn’t think I’d leave without saying goodbye to him did you?!?” Sark and Sydney looked at each other smiling, and Syd said, “She’s good!” as Sark agreed with their earlier thoughts and repeating, “She’s good!”

The boy turned to her, averting his gaze from Sark and Syd, saying, “What, I’m not even gonna get an introduction now?” She smiled at him, kissed him lightly and then said, “No – you’re not!” At this he put on a sad face with puppy dog eyes and an adorable pout that Steph just couldn’t resist, “Fine!” she said, mock sighing. She turned to face Sark and Syd, held out her arm and said, “Conor – you guys; Sark, Syd - meet my best friend, and constant annoyance, Conor!”

Steph and Conor looked at them happily, still in each other’s arms before looking back at each other. “So, when can you come visit?” she said to her friend. At their inquisitive looks, Steph turned to them briefly saying, “Oh, it’s ok he knows everything anyway – plus, Irina said it would be kl!…one of the reasons I agreed to this!” in quite a nonchalant tone as if what they did for a living was really nothing that worrying, but the last part she said more to herself and Conor than to them – they didn’t need to know her full reasoning behind her working with them just yet, they would find out in due time – but even she knew that their was more to it than she was aware of, for Irina had been a presence in her life since she had been young and only now had she insisted that she come stay with them…it was curious to say the least, but it would have to wait, for soon she would have to say goodbye to one of the most important persons, remaining, in her life and she did not know how long for – and she just wanted to bask in the warmth of his embrace.

After some time, Conor glanced down at Steph, smirked and said, “Well, it certainly looks better on you than it did in the shop!” She returned the smirk with her own sly grin and replied, “Why thank you sweetie! – and you know it does, you picked it after all!” He added, “The hair don’t look too bad either!” with a grin, which earned him a fake shocked expression and a playful hit on the arm before they returned to just looking at each other smiling – just content with being in each other’s company for a little while longer.

Sark and Syd looked on as the two friends prepared to say goodbye, with real affection for the scene before them, “Kinda reminds you of us, don’t ya think!” Sark said, to Syd. “Ye - ” she replied, “- only he’s hotter than you!” and she started laughing, before he whispered in her ear, “Ye, well she’s prettier than you!” “oh, really – ye, ok I suppose that’s true – I’ll give you that, but he’s got a sexier accent than you – and that’s saying something!” At this Sark, accentuated his voice saying, “Oh, really Miss Derevko!” and started to tickle her as she wriggled uncontrollably beneath his grasp.

Steph and Conor simply looked on laughing and saying in unison, “Kids these days!”

Suddenly, the sound of shots ringing out shook them all from their previous thoughts.

Sark pushed Syd to the ground, shielding her body with his, as they both drew out their guns and began returning fire.

Steph saw them throught the glass panels in the window, and she knew Conor had seen their reflection in the large hall mirror on the opposite wall. Yet he did not move - and for that she would never forgive him…

Thanx 4 reading an hope u liked!
Xxx

ohh i wonder what conor is up too. he really suspicous if you ask me. thx for the pms i got them and yes i am still reading your story. How could i not? its so well done.

y thank you - sorry i just wasn't sure tis all, but im glad ya still lke it :smiley:
u really think conors suspicious? um, ok didn't mean 4 him ta b (kinda spoiler there i suppose) bt there ya go mayb he is, lol
thanx 4 readin nxt chaptr shud b up in a min
xxx

Chptr 10

A/N: this is only a short chapter but I’ll make it up ta ya later on – I promise…enjoy (well, not really!)

…the shot shattered the glass in the door and the bullet tore into his back. He let out a groan and she saw the shear look of pain and helplessness in his eyes before he slumped against her as another bullet pierced his skin. Yet still he refused to move from his position in front of her.

They collapsed to the floor together as shards of broken glass lay scattered around them and stray bullets whizzed by. Glass continued to smash over them as Steph cradeled Conor in her arms.

“Come on, sweetie! – stay with me!” she pleaded, but he was slipping away…and she knew it.

Slowly he placed his hand over hers and reached up over his head with the other. He took of his necklace and clumsily put it over hers, clasping their entwined fingers over his angel pendant. She knew what he was doing and begged with him, “No, please – don’t leave me!” He smiled weakly at her and said, “I’ll never leave you – I love you too much! But ryt now I gotta go, and you’ve got to let me!” He wiped the tears now falling freely down her cheeks with a shaky hand saying, “Don’t cry baby – please! I’m always gonna be with you, no matter what! An whenevr you feel sad or alone, just look into your heart and I’ll be ryt there with you, Stephy - always!” It was then that she knew he was really leaving her for good and pleaded with him, “Oh God, Conor – come on, please – I love you so much Con, please don’t leave me, please!” He squeezed the hand entwined with his own over the pendant of his necklace around her neck, kissed her and uttering the simple statement quietly, “I promise, I’ll be with you always Cale…always!”

On hearing this, she knew she’d lost him for good, and the tears began flooding down her cheeks as she held him and cried into his lifeless chest – as if trying to seek some sort of comfort from the warmth now rapidly leaving his body.

He would always be with her inside of her – in her mind, the memories: good and bad; in her body whenever she breathed new life into her lungs, and more importantly forever in her heart and soul. But he would never be by her side again telling her jokes and making her laugh, talking to her, listening to her, cheering her up when she was sad and putting a smile back where it belonged on her face – he wouldn’t be there to grow up with her and she with him.

Now all he would do was make her cry, and, like so many others in her life, he went up to join the angels in Heaven.

plz read an tell me what ya think
thanx
xxx

hey there!
sorry for the no updates for a while i got kinda ... sidetracked with the hols n skl n my exams n stuff, but gd news is no exams till n another few wks then the rest in june sometime so hopefully b updating more, bt no promises...

Chptr 11

Sark and Syd were aware of what had transpired only a few feet away from where they lay, but they couldn’t deal with that ryt now, for they had to concentrate on killing whoever was shooting at them so they could get out of there alive – and as quickly as possible.

After what seemed like hours, though it had only been a few minutes, and much exchanges of bullets, Sark finally spoke, “Ryt, we gotta get out of here!” and tugging on Sydney’s arm as he made his way to the back door they had entered by, he added, “Come on!”

Sydney crawled over to where Steph sat on the floor with Conor still in her arms, encircled by broken glass and blood splattered all around. “Come on! – we’ve gotta go, now!” she said in firm, yet quiet and gentle tone – trying to comfort the traumatized girl somewhat, but shake enough sense into her to get her to go with her. “What?!? – No! I am not leaving him here!” the girl replied in a shocked, yet definite voice. “Listen” Sydney began, shaking the young girl’s shoulders slightly, “We don’t have time for this, they’ll come back and - ” “ – and torch the house! Ye, I know and that’s why I’m not leaving him!”

Syd looked at Sark, uncertain of what to do, but he simply crawled over to where they were, lifted the boy over his shoulder and carried him towards their exit. Sydney pushed Steph to go forward after them before she too followed them outside. As it happened, they had parked in the back lane and entered there so they were able to make a relatively quick escape after that.

After a short while of driving, Steph spoke up, “stop there!” and she pointed with her arm outstretched just ahead to a grassy area with a small park, a little pond and some trees. Sark parked the car and followed Steph as she made her way up the small hill to her designated spot. He laid Conor’s body beside where she sat on the grass, by a small pond, and stood back with Sydney at his side, but they both knew that they had to leave them alone and so retreated back to the car to wait.

Once alone, Steph began arranging some flowers around his body, he looks so peaceful she thought to herself, and smiled at this. She began speaking to him as she cried, “you remember this place – we used to play here all the time – ‘our favorite place in the world’ you used to say, ‘our little garden’ – that’s how you said you always found me when I was upset, cos I’d come here – it was always by the pool that you found me wasn’t it?” she said, smiling as she recalled old memories…

A girl of about 14 sat on the grass by a pond, with her legs bent up towards her chest, as she soaked up the rare rays of sunshine that shone around her. She was watching the fish swimming about below the surface and smiled when she saw the reflection of her best friend mirrored in the water. He sat down behind and whispered in her ear, “Close your eyes, I’ve got something for you!” “OK!” she replied, unable to hide the excitement and anticipation in her eyes. She felt his fingers brush lightly past her cheek and up to her ear, gently pushing some of her hair to the side.

“Ok, now open them!” she dutifully obliged and looked at her reflection on the water: her hair was pulled back into a low ponytail, with some strands hanging loosely down, and by her right ear was a flower. It was held perfectly in place by her hair and matched her outfit, and her mood, flawlessly.

“Oh, Con, it’s gorgeous – I love it!” then she whirled around, kissed him lightly on the lips and whispered, “Thank-you!”

They smiled at each other for a while longer before she asked in a curious voice, “So, where did you find it – cos you know it’s my favorite!” “ah ah ah – now that would be telling – you know I’ve gotta have some secrets!” and he smiled at her. She pouted in fake protest, saying, “fine, but I expect more in the future since you seem to have a secret blooming place – but then I suppose that’s why you love me ryt?” and returned his smile as he drew her into a hug, whispering in her ear, “always…always…”

She fingered the blades of grass as she was reminded of that day, a year and a half ago, when suddenly a flash of colour caught her eye. Looking over, she saw a single flower swaying and floating gently in the cool breeze and laughed slightly as the tears streamed down her face, saying, “My favourite – you always did know how to cheer me up, Con!”

Reaching forward, she lifted the water lily out of the water – it was her favourite: the ‘laydekeri’. It was a water plant that lasted year after year, with floating dark green leaves that had a purplish-green underside. With its star shape and bright crimson flowers, she had been enchanted by it ever since she first laid eyes on it when she and Conor were playing by a lake on holiday when they were young. For years she had tried to find a place where they ‘grew’ and had been unsuccessful, until now – Conor had known all along about where he could find them and always produced one, placing it tenderly in her hair, tucked behind her ear whenever she was upset; and it brought a smile to her face instantly, some things will never change, will they! she said to herself, quietly with a smile spread across her face as the tears streamed by.

She placed one of the flowers behind her ear – just like he would have – and another in his hand with a simple note saying:

For everything – I’m truly sorry. You are my best friend and soul mate and nothing will ever change that. I’ll never stop loving you will forever be in my heart
Always
Xxx

She kissed him sweetly as tears dropped onto his face saying, “Oh God, Con - I love you so much! You can be at peace now, Go!” and glancing up to the sky as if watching his spirit ascend to the clouds of Heaven.

Then she rose, wiping the rest of the tears away from her face and dialed an all too familiar number, saying simply to the person on the other end, “ Mark, he’s at ‘the garden’ – please, come and get him”. And with that she hung up the phone, dropping it in the bin on her way past.

PS here's 2 pix of the flower:
wl2.jpg

wl4.jpg

Back