OnLive

Gate

Cadet
So what do people think about the upcoming OnLive game service?
Is it the best thing since sliced bread? Interesting but entirely unworkable? A bad idea all around?

I personally have doubts about it, both in terms of desirability and technical capability.

It's a service where a company hosts almost all the hardware needed to play a game. They send everything to you over the net and all you need is a simple computer or a tv with a controller and an OnLive box hooked up to it. Because the processor, GPU, etc is all on their end, you don't need to have a gaming computer (or even a computer at all if you hook it up through your tv) to play a game.

Obviously this requires a flawless net connection as well as overcoming some other technical hurdles. Furthermore, if the net goes down or runs slowly you can't play any games because the games aren't actually on your computer. On the other hand, you don't need to pay massive amounts of money for a gaming computer or console, and it supposedly has some impressive networking and multiplayer functionality.

Here are a few links.

OnLive
BBC NEWS | Technology | OnLive games service 'will work'
OnLive killed the game console star? | Engadget

That reaalllly doesn't make sense... the server would have to be like right next to your house in order to get proper performance.

And loosing net connection or onlive going down would mean you had no way to game at all...not to mention connection speed would need to be amazing.

It's a service where a company hosts almost all the hardware needed to play a game. They send everything to you over the net and all you need is a simple computer or a tv with a controller and an OnLive box hooked up to it. Because the processor, GPU, etc is all on their end, you don't need to have a gaming computer (or even a computer at all if you hook it up through your tv) to play a game.

Obviously this requires a flawless net connection as well as overcoming some other technical hurdles. Furthermore, if the net goes down or runs slowly you can't play any games because the games aren't actually on your computer. On the other hand, you don't need to pay massive amounts of money for a gaming computer or console, and it supposedly has some impressive networking and multiplayer functionality.

Here are a few links.

OnLive
BBC NEWS | Technology | OnLive games service 'will work'
OnLive killed the game console star? | Engadget

Despite the potential problems it still sounds pretty good to me. I know for me cable companies in my area have been in a competition and 20-25 meg connections are going for free right now for bundled TV service.

I was told about this a few days ago... my only feeling is "Skepticism". It sounds interesting, but... I have 5 computers, and if my cable "boosts" my speed, I might get 12-15mbps download... split 5 ways... 2-3mbps each, *IF* it's nearby, otherwise the average "fast speed" is to divide that by 10-12 ... so maybe 200-300kbps per user/computer.

The only way I've ever downloaded anything over 1mbps, is when I was downloading something from a mirror at easynews.com, and they are literally about a mile from my apartment. Makes downloading stuff from SourceForge.net or an EasyNews mirror friggin lightning speed... but doesn't help my gaming unless they host here in downtown Phoenix.

Back