Only Hope

Chapter Three

Sydney wasn’t surprised to find a small group of people gathering in the hallway right outside Will’s hospital room. She had driven there almost immediately with Noah, but first she had called Sark to find out that he was already on his way. Their communication system at the base of operations was one of the best and fastest in the world.

Anna Espinosa was talking softly with Irina in one of the corners, obviously about something to do with the work she had just finished up in France. Sydney had found it comforting that Anna had opted to come out of her deep cover to return home to help with the newly surfaced problem. Their team had become an effortless machine, the best in the whole world at what they did. More importantly, over the past six months, they had become a family. A family that she was proud to be the keystone of.

Amy stepped out of the room and shut the door softly behind them. She gave Noah a small smile and began to explain. “The doctors pulled him out of the coma an hour ago. He woke up just fine, and it looks like there won’t be any lasting damage. They instructed me to not let him be excited, but I understand that he has information that you need right now. In fact, he’s been adamantly demanding to see Sydney since the moment he woke up. “

“He was always partial to you,” Sark joked.

“I understand that this is a conflict of interest between your agency’s top secret status and my affiliation with the CIA. Therefore, I’m going down to the restaurant on the corner where I will be having an hour-long lunch. When I get back, I expect none of you to be here and Will to be resting peacefully.”

“I’ll come with you to get food,” Noah volunteered. “I can be briefed later.”

Amy smiled at them all. “It means a lot to me and Will to have you here.” She nodded and walked down the hallways away from the crowd, hand in hand with Noah.

Sydney waited until they were out of sight before turning to her mother. “Should I go in alone or should you all come with me?”

“I think Anna and I will stay out here and use the time to discuss the new prospects created by her work in France. You take Julian in there with you. Don’t upset Will. He’s been through a lot.”

“I wasn’t planning on it,” Sydney said, slightly hurt by her mother’s words.

Irina smiled and turned her gaze towards Sark. “I wasn’t referring to you, sweetheart.”

“I might be a complete bastard at times, but I’m not unfeeling,” Sark stated.

“Just behave yourself.” Irina turned her attention back towards Anna.

Sydney looked over at her husband. “Shall we?”

With a nod, they both entered the hospital room. Will was sitting up on his bed, staring out the window. He turned towards them as Sark cleared his throat. “Hi,” he said simply, smiling at them.

“Hey,” Sydney said. She walked over and took a seat on the side of the hospital bed. “How are you feeling?”

“Never better. Thanks for being there for me, Syd.”

“I wasn’t that good. I mean, if it had been one of the other agents, you probably wouldn’t have--”

Will cut her off. “Don’t go there. I don’t care what the rational thinking might be in this situation. If my life is in trouble, I wouldn’t want any other person coming to me aid.” He smirked. “Even if all you can do is waddle and point a gun. How is the baby doing?”

“She’s a fighter like her mom. There has been non-stop kicking all morning.”

“The Bristow genes at work.”

The room fell silent as they all began to think of the same thing. Will needed to relive whatever had happened to him, and it wasn’t going to be easy.

“The children of the prophecy,” Sark stated, getting the ball rolling.

“Let me start at the beginning. When I got off the plan, I was supposed to meet a contact that would help me develop a cover for my assignment. Instead of handing me a fake passport and a rundown of the current situation, he handed me a box.”

“What was in the box?”

“A piece of parchment similar to the one Sydney recovered from Sloane’s home. Rambaldi had a prophecy that it seems he kept mostly to himself to the extent that he had it hidden away when he died. It was recovered by my contact on his previous mission, and he wasn’t sure what to do with it. He knew that Irina Derevko was always a collector of Rambaldi artifacts, so he was offering it to her as an act of good faith.”

“You have the parchment?” Sydney asked.

“No. It was taken from me when my plane landed in L.A.”

“But you read it before you put it away for the flight,” Sark stated.

“As a safety precaution, I did. I almost wish I didn’t. It would be better if you didn’t have to be worried about this, Syd.”

“I think it would be better if I knew the danger that was ahead.” She looked her oldest friend in the eye. “It has something to do with my baby, doesn’t it?”

“Yes, it does. It said that there was going to be a confrontation between the children of the prophecy. This confrontation would bring about Rambaldi‘s endgame, whatever that is. Like all of his other prophecies, it was extremely vague on the details. However, it did mention rather clearly that one of the children would be the direct offspring of the women of the prophecy and her greatest adversary.”

“That would be me,” Sark said with a grin. “I always knew that you had met your match in me.”

Sydney rolled her eyes. “Could we focus please? The life of our firstborn child is in jeopardy here.”

“The prophecy didn’t mention who the other children were or how many of them there are. My first thought was there might be some Project: Christmas like operation out there somewhere. Then I wondered what exactly Rambaldi meant by confrontation. It could either be a fight to the death kind of confrontation or just a straightforward meeting. Personally, I’m hoping he was just insinuating that your child would be meeting with the others of the prophecy at one specific moment that was pivotal to Rambaldi’s plan. But that makes no sense in the long run.”

“Hold on,” Sark said. “I think I’m recalling something that should help us put some of the pieces together. Syd, do you remember what I said to you when you didn’t want to leave me behind on our rescue mission of Michael Vaughn’s son?”

“You said that Tyler was more important than either one of us. Do you think he’s involved in this prophecy?”

“I told you that I had heard that the Covenant believed Tyler Vaughn to be the key to some prophecy. Things were just as vague with that intel as they are now with this new development. Except there was one thing I knew for sure. There was another half to the prophecy that neither I nor the Covenant knew.”

“You said you thought there was someone else they wanted.”

“Right. But they hadn’t made a move towards trying to get their hands on another person.” Sark looked at his wife. “They didn’t make a move, Sydney, because the person didn’t exist yet. Our child wasn’t born.”

“There’s one problem to that theory,” Will pointed out. “You saved Tyler Vaughn’s life almost one year ago. At that time the Covenant knew about the prophecy involving Tyler and one other person. It couldn’t be linked with Rambaldi’s children of the prophecy. It was just unveiled a few days ago.”

“The Covenant was always more powerful than anyone ever gave them credit for. Is it possible that the reason no one had discovered this Rambaldi prophecy was because the Covenant didn’t want them to?” Sark asked. “My theory is the Covenant was holding this prophecy hostage and they made a mistake. They lost it, and your contact found it, Tippin.”

“It makes sense,” Sydney pointed out. “Rambaldi doesn’t like to pull new figures into his prophecy. He would want to stick with the old players. Tyler and my child are the next generation of the old players. They would be the ones that the Covenant and Rambaldi would want.”

Will looked over at her. “So what do we do now?”

Sydney was about to answer when she felt a twinge in her belly. Her forehead wrinkled in concentration as a realization dawned on her. “For now, we get a nurse.” She glanced at her husband. “I’m having the baby.”

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

The labor went rather well compared to the average. Not for the first time in her life, Sydney was glad that she had a high threshold for tolerating pain. She had made it through the first ten hours of labor without screaming once. Sark had stood by her side through the whole thing, doing his best to help ease her pain and let her know how much he loved her.

When she reached her fifteenth hour of labor without much progress and still without showing any sign of pain, the doctor suggested that Sark take a few minutes break to clear his head so that he come back into the room fresh-minded. He initially refused, but when the doctor assured him that no woman had ever had a baby in just five minutes, he reluctantly left the room.

He took the first chair he could find outside the delivery room and put his head between his hands.

“Is everything all right?” Anna asked, sitting down beside him.

“I didn’t hear you coming,” he said, looking over at her.

“And that makes me worried. In all the time we’ve known each other, Julian, you’ve never let your guard down. Not once. So, I ask again, is everything all right?”

“As much as it can be, yes.” He sighed. “I can see how hard this is on her, Anna. She’s in so much pain, and she’s being so brave.”

“Sydney is a strong woman.”

“I’ve never been this scared in my life. It’s been fifteen hours, and nothing has happened. The doctor keeps telling me that everything is going just as planned, but I can tell he’s lying. Something’s wrong and no one wants to let me know.”

“Honestly, if something was wrong, they would tell you.”

“I can’t lose her, Anna.”

“You won’t.”

“You can’t assure me of that. Women die from complications during childbirth all the time.”

Anna nodded. “I know. But those women aren’t your wife. She would never let something as silly as childbirth kill her. The only way Sydney Bristow is going to die is in her sleep from old age. Now you need to stop being a complete wimp and go back to your wife. Don’t let her see the worry on your face because there’s really no need for it. Everything will be fine, you moron.”

“I love you,” he said, smiling at her.

“I know. Now go.”

Sark entered the room and immediately noticed the flurry of activity. “What’s going on?” he demanded to the first person he made eye contact with.

“Your wife’s finally ready to have the baby, Mr. Lazarey. It should be any moment now.”

Sark raced to Sydney’s side and smiled. “You always have to make everything so dramatic, don’t you?” She didn’t respond. She just reached out and grasped his hand with hers as tightly as she could. He lighted smoothed her hair with his free hand. “I’m here, Syd. Why don’t you let me be the strong one for once?”

Without a word, she finally let loose a scream of pain.

One hour later, Sark was staring down at his baby daughter who was calmly lying on her mother’s breast. He was awed by the fact that he could be so scared and so excited at the same time.

Sydney looked up at him and smiled. “I want to call her Hope.”

“Hope,” Sark said, running the name over his tongue. “I like that.”

“Hope Anastasia Lazarey.”

His heart jumped slightly. “My mother’s name?”

“It seemed fitting. Plus, I think it gives it a nice exotic flair.” She laughed. “And I couldn’t name her Irina. My mother has a big enough head as it is.”

He turned to his daughter. “What do you think, Hope? Is that a good name?” She cooed softly at her father. “Yeah, I think she likes it.”

“Will you do me a favor, Julian?” she asked.

Her serious tone made him frown slightly. “Anything you want.”

“Promise me that you’ll make sure no one moves on the new intel Will gave us until I get out of the hospital. I have this nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach that I should be the one handling this situation.”

“Don’t lie. You’re just a control freak.” He smiled at her. “But I promise all the same. We’ll wait until you come home before taking the next step. For now, you need to get some rest. Let me have Hope.”

Reluctantly, she let him take their daughter out of her arms. “Are you sure you can handle her?”

“I’m going to have to get used to handling her. I mean, these are the easy years. She hasn’t discovered boys yet.”

Sydney groaned. “I don’t even want to think about that yet. It’s going to take all our strength just to keep her from falling in love with a guy just like her father. My daughter will not be marrying a schmuck like I did.”

He laughed. “Get some rest, darling. I will see you in a few hours.”

Since she was thoroughly exhausted, it didn’t take much for her to slip into unconsciousness. Sark sat down in the chair next to the bed. He knew that he should probably go take Hope down to the nurses and let them do another check on her. But, at the moment, all he really wanted to do was just sit there holding her in his arms.

“I think your mother was dead on with your name, my little Hope.”

sexcivaughan14 said:
i was thinking only hope cuz most of kidblinks fics are switchfoot songs! but newho! lol!...great update
[post="1006750"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yeah, The Walk To Remember soundtrack (and consequently Switchfoot) is my inspiration for titles. However, unlike the previous two whose song lyrics pertained to the story, this one also has a title which conveys two meanings in terms of plot points. I'm glad to see that you guys picked up on the first. BTW, funny fact - I named Syd and Sark's daughter Hope before I picked the title and didn't even realize it until I was writing the second chapter. Sometimes life just works out for the best, huh?

wow, this is really great!!! i have read the first two fics in the series like four times each, and i am so glad that you made a sequel, or trequel if you will.

can i pretty please have a pm when you update? it is just SO good.

thanx ^_^

Sydney groaned. “I don’t even want to think about that yet. It’s going to take all our strength just to keep her from falling in love with a guy just like her father. My daughter will not be marrying a schmuck like I did.”
:lol: That made me laugh!

Loved it!

Thanx for the PM!

--Mel :drive:

Chapter Four

There was a soft knock on the front door of the Vaughns’ house. “I’ll get it!” Five-year-old Tyler Vaughn screamed, racing through the halls. It seemed like they never got any visitors, so answering the door was an incredibly exciting thing for him

His father’s voice bellowed down the hall. “Don’t you dare answer that door without knowing who it is!”

The young boy skidded to a stop and peeked out the side curtains. “It’s Aunt Syd,” he screamed back, waiting for approval.

His mother stepped out of the kitchen, crossing her arms over her chest and looking down at her son seriously. “What did we tell you about answering the door when it’s your Aunt Syd?”

“That I can say hello to her through the door but I’m not allowed to open it until one of you is here.”

“And why is that?” Vaughn asked, joining his wife and son in the front hallway.

“Because nothing is what it seems when it comes to Aunt Syd,” he recited. He really had no idea what that meant, but he had learned that it was something really important to his Mom and Dad. So he followed the rule.

“Good.” Lauren smiled. “Now let her in.”

“Hey, Ty!” Sydney said as the door opened. “I brought you a new friend to play with.” She set the child carrier down inside the front door so Tyler could get a look at the new baby. “This is Hope.”

“That’s a funny name for a boy,” he pointed out.

Vaughn tried to hold back his laugh as he explained. “I told you before, buddy. Aunt Sydney had a little girl.”

“That’s sad,” Tyler said, looking back at Sydney with a frown on his face.

“Why?” she asked, trying to hold back her laughter.

“Because girls are icky.”

Lauren wasn’t as strong as Sydney. She laughed loudly and picked up her son into her arms, tickling him. “Do you think I’m icky, little man?”

When she set him down after a moment, he explained, “No. Moms aren’t icky.”

Vaughn patted his son on the head. “Why don’t you go in the other room and play for a bit while your Mom and I talk to Aunt Syd?”

Tyler was more than happy to comply. Soon, Sydney was sitting down in the living room with two people she hadn’t spoken to in six months. They had parted ways in mutual agreeance that they wouldn’t contact each other until there was a good reason. There were too many unanswered questions and risks.

“What brings you to our doorstep unannounced, Sydney?” Lauren asked.

“It’s your son again.”

“I thought the risk to him was over,” Vaughn said. It didn’t surprise him that Sydney’s visit was connected to his son somehow.

“We all know that we never really got to the bottom of why your son was kidnapped and why the Covenant felt it necessary to combine your DNA with Emma Wallace’s in the first place. There are a lot of unanswered questions.” She took a deep breath. “But I think that I can answer a few of them now.”

“What happened?” Lauren asked.

“I can’t tell you a whole lot of the details officially, seeing as how my job is once again a complete secret. I thought I was over that whole phase in my life, but it turns out I’m not.” She smiled, realizing she was going off on a tangent. “Listen. I need you guys to not speak a word of the sensitive aspects of my explanation to anyone outside this room. I trust you.”

“With good reason,” Vaughn said.

“We would never do anything to compromise you or your family,” Lauren added.

“I know. Which is why I’m going to tell you that Will was on a mission a week ago, and he ran into some new intel on a Rambaldi prophecy no one had been aware of.”

“The one that Sark thought Tyler was involved in?” Vaughn guessed.

“Exactly. It mentioned children of the prophecy, and we’re fairly certain that Tyler is one of them.”

“How many are there?”

“We think only two. Which would explain why Tyler managed to get away from the people who were holding him.”

Vaughn held up his hand. “I don’t understand.”

“They weren’t concerned about keeping Tyler in custody because they started their plans a little ahead of schedule. Six months to be exact.” Sydney couldn’t help but smile down at her daughter. This whole mom thing was still new to her. It almost made her forget about the impending problems looming over her head and the heads of all the people she trusted.

“You mean your daughter?” Lauren asked, noticing the destination of Sydney’s glance. “She’s the other child in the prophecy?”

“She was actually the only one we managed to confirm. Rambaldi’s prophecy detailed the first child as being the offspring of the women from the prophecy and her greatest adversary. So, that basically means Hope. For anyone with access to Rambaldi’s work, Tyler was the one in question the whole time. The prophecy is vague at a lot of points.” Sydney looked at Vaughn. “I came here to let you know Tyler might be in danger again.”

“They’re going to try to take him,” he said, nodding his head in understanding. “I won’t let that happen.”

“I figured as much.” Sydney reached into her purse and withdrew a slip of paper. “I talked to my father. He’s arranged some time away from the CIA and NSC for you two. This is an address to a safehouse if you feel you need to move.”

“Wait,” Lauren said, holding up her hand. Vaughn grabbed the paper and leaned back in his chair, not opening it up to look inside. “There has to be more to the prophecy if things are already this serious.”

“There is more. We’re not sure how to interpret it quite yet, but I can assure you that there is no one better in the world to be doing this job.”

Vaughn asked an obvious question, “You keep referring to we, but you haven’t told us who we is. Obviously, Will is involved, but there’s more, isn’t there?”

Sydney sighed. Vaughn had always had the uncanny ability to tell when she was holding something back. Figuring it was best to answer Lauren’s question first, she took a deep breath and dove in. “The Rambaldi document prophesized that there would be a confrontation between the children of the prophecy. It didn’t give a specific time or date that this would happen. We don’t even know what Rambaldi meant by confrontation.”

“There’s that we again,” Vaughn said, rolling his eyes.

Sydney realized there was no way to dance around the subject. She would have to tell Vaughn and Lauren about what she had been involved in the past six months. “You know that I’m working in the spy world again.”

“Correct. I just don’t know who you’re working for or what you’ve been doing.” He shrugged. “It’s a new thing for me not to know what’s going on with you.”

“He hasn’t adjusted well,” Lauren said with a laugh.

“Well, I’ve been working for a new US government agency. Basically, it’s a legitimate SD-6.”

“Black ops?”

“Yeah. It’s fairly small comparatively. Intimate, I guess you could say. There are only five agents.”

“You, Sark, Will,” Vaughn listed.

“Anna Espinosa and Noah Hicks,” she said, filling in the gaps

“All the old gang,” Lauren said with another laugh. It was a nervous habit of hers, and she really hated it.

“Yeah, my mother used the little situation with Sark from six months ago to further her agenda.”

“What does your mother have to do with this?” Vaughn asked.

Sydney braced herself. “She’s running the organization.”

“No way!” he screamed. “There is no way the United States government would give any sort of power to Irina Derevko. She was on the most wanted list not even seven months ago.”

“But she’s not anymore,” Sydney pointed out. “Did you ever wonder why?” That shut him up rather quickly. “Believe me, I was skeptical of her intentions at first. But I truly believe my mother is doing what she wants to be doing. There isn’t anything brewing under the surface of her motives.”

“That you know of.”

“That I know of.” She looked at Vaughn intently. “Think of it in a positive way. Because of my mother, you have five of the best agents out there today working on keeping Tyler from harm.”

“She has a point,” Lauren said, resting her hand on Vaughn’s knee in support. “This is probably the best situation we could have hoped for.”

“If you call our son being hunted down a good situation.” Vaughn looked down at the piece of paper Sydney had handed him. “How far away is this safehouse?”

“Not even half an hour out of the city. It wouldn’t be that much of a shift for Tyler. And it’s only temporary. Once we figure out more about the prophecy, we can all return to our normal lives.”

“What’s a prophecy?” Tyler asked from where he was standing in the doorway.

Sydney seized the opportunity to sneak out on this parent to son explanation session. She stood up, grabbing Hope‘s carrier where she was sleeping soundly. “I should be going. There’s research to be done.” She paused when she was next to Tyler. “It was nice to see you again, Ty.”

“When are you going to come back, Aunt Syd?”

“I think you and I will be seeing each other soon.” She looked back at Lauren and Vaughn. “Please trust me.”

“I do,” Vaughn said, smiling weakly. “I’ll call you when we’re at the location.”

“You probably won’t need to,” she said, cryptically, before leaving their home. It was a habit she had picked up gradually from her mother.

A few minutes later, she had placed her daughter into the backseat of her car, which was parked by the curb at the end of the driveway. She slid into the front seat and turned to her husband. “That went well.”

“I still don’t see why you wouldn’t let me come in with you.” Sark turned the key in the ignition.

“Did you want to get shot on the spot?”

“Michael Vaughn does not still hate me.”

Sydney snorted. “He doesn’t like you.” She looked over her shoulder one last time to make sure Hope was secured in the back seat. “They’re going to the address I gave them.”

“Good,” he said shortly, signaling a left-hand turn.

To a normal person, it would have appeared like he was just concentration on driving. But Sydney knew him a little better than that. “What’s bothering you?”

“I’m still not sure if involving Lauren and Vaughn in this was the best decision.”

“It’s their son’s life that’s in question,” Sydney pointed out. “As parents, they have a right to voice their opinion in all of this.”

“But it’s also our daughter mixed up in all this. We have to look out for what’s best for her, too.” He glanced over at his wife. “If the confrontation Rambaldi prophesized is to be taken in its more literal, violent sense, then letting Hope spend any time around Tyler Vaughn might be a mistake. I don’t want our daughter to be hurt.”

“She won’t be,” Sydney insisted. “I’m worried, too, Julian. But I don’t think this prophecy is as straightforward as you’re afraid it might be.”

“Nothing ever is.” Sark took a right, and they were on their way to the safehouse Jack had acquired for the children of the prophecy.
Chapter Four

There was a soft knock on the front door of the Vaughns’ house. “I’ll get it!” Five-year-old Tyler Vaughn screamed, racing through the halls. It seemed like they never got any visitors, so answering the door was an incredibly exciting thing for him

His father’s voice bellowed down the hall. “Don’t you dare answer that door without knowing who it is!”

The young boy skidded to a stop and peeked out the side curtains. “It’s Aunt Syd,” he screamed back, waiting for approval.

His mother stepped out of the kitchen, crossing her arms over her chest and looking down at her son seriously. “What did we tell you about answering the door when it’s your Aunt Syd?”

“That I can say hello to her through the door but I’m not allowed to open it until one of you is here.”

“And why is that?” Vaughn asked, joining his wife and son in the front hallway.

“Because nothing is what it seems when it comes to Aunt Syd,” he recited. He really had no idea what that meant, but he had learned that it was something really important to his Mom and Dad. So he followed the rule.

“Good.” Lauren smiled. “Now let her in.”

“Hey, Ty!” Sydney said as the door opened. “I brought you a new friend to play with.” She set the child carrier down inside the front door so Tyler could get a look at the new baby. “This is Hope.”

“That’s a funny name for a boy,” he pointed out.

Vaughn tried to hold back his laugh as he explained. “I told you before, buddy. Aunt Sydney had a little girl.”

“That’s sad,” Tyler said, looking back at Sydney with a frown on his face.

“Why?” she asked, trying to hold back her laughter.

“Because girls are icky.”

Lauren wasn’t as strong as Sydney. She laughed loudly and picked up her son into her arms, tickling him. “Do you think I’m icky, little man?”

When she set him down after a moment, he explained, “No. Moms aren’t icky.”

Vaughn patted his son on the head. “Why don’t you go in the other room and play for a bit while your Mom and I talk to Aunt Syd?”

Tyler was more than happy to comply. Soon, Sydney was sitting down in the living room with two people she hadn’t spoken to in six months. They had parted ways in mutual agreeance that they wouldn’t contact each other until there was a good reason. There were too many unanswered questions and risks.

“What brings you to our doorstep unannounced, Sydney?” Lauren asked.

“It’s your son again.”

“I thought the risk to him was over,” Vaughn said. It didn’t surprise him that Sydney’s visit was connected to his son somehow.

“We all know that we never really got to the bottom of why your son was kidnapped and why the Covenant felt it necessary to combine your DNA with Emma Wallace’s in the first place. There are a lot of unanswered questions.” She took a deep breath. “But I think that I can answer a few of them now.”

“What happened?” Lauren asked.

“I can’t tell you a whole lot of the details officially, seeing as how my job is once again a complete secret. I thought I was over that whole phase in my life, but it turns out I’m not.” She smiled, realizing she was going off on a tangent. “Listen. I need you guys to not speak a word of the sensitive aspects of my explanation to anyone outside this room. I trust you.”

“With good reason,” Vaughn said.

“We would never do anything to compromise you or your family,” Lauren added.

“I know. Which is why I’m going to tell you that Will was on a mission a week ago, and he ran into some new intel on a Rambaldi prophecy no one had been aware of.”

“The one that Sark thought Tyler was involved in?” Vaughn guessed.

“Exactly. It mentioned children of the prophecy, and we’re fairly certain that Tyler is one of them.”

“How many are there?”

“We think only two. Which would explain why Tyler managed to get away from the people who were holding him.”

Vaughn held up his hand. “I don’t understand.”

“They weren’t concerned about keeping Tyler in custody because they started their plans a little ahead of schedule. Six months to be exact.” Sydney couldn’t help but smile down at her daughter. This whole mom thing was still new to her. It almost made her forget about the impending problems looming over her head and the heads of all the people she trusted.

“You mean your daughter?” Lauren asked, noticing the destination of Sydney’s glance. “She’s the other child in the prophecy?”

“She was actually the only one we managed to confirm. Rambaldi’s prophecy detailed the first child as being the offspring of the women from the prophecy and her greatest adversary. So, that basically means Hope. For anyone with access to Rambaldi’s work, Tyler was the one in question the whole time. The prophecy is vague at a lot of points.” Sydney looked at Vaughn. “I came here to let you know Tyler might be in danger again.”

“They’re going to try to take him,” he said, nodding his head in understanding. “I won’t let that happen.”

“I figured as much.” Sydney reached into her purse and withdrew a slip of paper. “I talked to my father. He’s arranged some time away from the CIA and NSC for you two. This is an address to a safehouse if you feel you need to move.”

“Wait,” Lauren said, holding up her hand. Vaughn grabbed the paper and leaned back in his chair, not opening it up to look inside. “There has to be more to the prophecy if things are already this serious.”

“There is more. We’re not sure how to interpret it quite yet, but I can assure you that there is no one better in the world to be doing this job.”

Vaughn asked an obvious question, “You keep referring to we, but you haven’t told us who we is. Obviously, Will is involved, but there’s more, isn’t there?”

Sydney sighed. Vaughn had always had the uncanny ability to tell when she was holding something back. Figuring it was best to answer Lauren’s question first, she took a deep breath and dove in. “The Rambaldi document prophesized that there would be a confrontation between the children of the prophecy. It didn’t give a specific time or date that this would happen. We don’t even know what Rambaldi meant by confrontation.”

“There’s that we again,” Vaughn said, rolling his eyes.

Sydney realized there was no way to dance around the subject. She would have to tell Vaughn and Lauren about what she had been involved in the past six months. “You know that I’m working in the spy world again.”

“Correct. I just don’t know who you’re working for or what you’ve been doing.” He shrugged. “It’s a new thing for me not to know what’s going on with you.”

“He hasn’t adjusted well,” Lauren said with a laugh.

“Well, I’ve been working for a new US government agency. Basically, it’s a legitimate SD-6.”

“Black ops?”

“Yeah. It’s fairly small comparatively. Intimate, I guess you could say. There are only five agents.”

“You, Sark, Will,” Vaughn listed.

“Anna Espinosa and Noah Hicks,” she said, filling in the gaps

“All the old gang,” Lauren said with another laugh. It was a nervous habit of hers, and she really hated it.

“Yeah, my mother used the little situation with Sark from six months ago to further her agenda.”

“What does your mother have to do with this?” Vaughn asked.

Sydney braced herself. “She’s running the organization.”

“No way!” he screamed. “There is no way the United States government would give any sort of power to Irina Derevko. She was on the most wanted list not even seven months ago.”

“But she’s not anymore,” Sydney pointed out. “Did you ever wonder why?” That shut him up rather quickly. “Believe me, I was skeptical of her intentions at first. But I truly believe my mother is doing what she wants to be doing. There isn’t anything brewing under the surface of her motives.”

“That you know of.”

“That I know of.” She looked at Vaughn intently. “Think of it in a positive way. Because of my mother, you have five of the best agents out there today working on keeping Tyler from harm.”

“She has a point,” Lauren said, resting her hand on Vaughn’s knee in support. “This is probably the best situation we could have hoped for.”

“If you call our son being hunted down a good situation.” Vaughn looked down at the piece of paper Sydney had handed him. “How far away is this safehouse?”

“Not even half an hour out of the city. It wouldn’t be that much of a shift for Tyler. And it’s only temporary. Once we figure out more about the prophecy, we can all return to our normal lives.”

“What’s a prophecy?” Tyler asked from where he was standing in the doorway.

Sydney seized the opportunity to sneak out on this parent to son explanation session. She stood up, grabbing Hope‘s carrier where she was sleeping soundly. “I should be going. There’s research to be done.” She paused when she was next to Tyler. “It was nice to see you again, Ty.”

“When are you going to come back, Aunt Syd?”

“I think you and I will be seeing each other soon.” She looked back at Lauren and Vaughn. “Please trust me.”

“I do,” Vaughn said, smiling weakly. “I’ll call you when we’re at the location.”

“You probably won’t need to,” she said, cryptically, before leaving their home. It was a habit she had picked up gradually from her mother.

A few minutes later, she had placed her daughter into the backseat of her car, which was parked by the curb at the end of the driveway. She slid into the front seat and turned to her husband. “That went well.”

“I still don’t see why you wouldn’t let me come in with you.” Sark turned the key in the ignition.

“Did you want to get shot on the spot?”

“Michael Vaughn does not still hate me.”

Sydney snorted. “He doesn’t like you.” She looked over her shoulder one last time to make sure Hope was secured in the back seat. “They’re going to the address I gave them.”

“Good,” he said shortly, signaling a left-hand turn.

To a normal person, it would have appeared like he was just concentration on driving. But Sydney knew him a little better than that. “What’s bothering you?”

“I’m still not sure if involving Lauren and Vaughn in this was the best decision.”

“It’s their son’s life that’s in question,” Sydney pointed out. “As parents, they have a right to voice their opinion in all of this.”

“But it’s also our daughter mixed up in all this. We have to look out for what’s best for her, too.” He glanced over at his wife. “If the confrontation Rambaldi prophesized is to be taken in its more literal, violent sense, then letting Hope spend any time around Tyler Vaughn might be a mistake. I don’t want our daughter to be hurt.”

“She won’t be,” Sydney insisted. “I’m worried, too, Julian. But I don’t think this prophecy is as straightforward as you’re afraid it might be.”

“Nothing ever is.” Sark took a right, and they were on their way to the safehouse Jack had acquired for the children of the prophecy.

sexcivaughan14 said:
yeah, i love ALL your fics!....ANY J/M SHIPPERS- DONT LOOK AT US WEEKLY THIS WEEK! IT'LL MAKE U GAG
[post="1006996"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

omg are u serious? i didnt see that one. probably a good thing. what was it??

ok, now back to reading the chapter.

vartan-lova said:
great update!! its really weird to think of sark and sydney as parents... thanks for the pm!
[post="1015512"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

LoL, it kinda is, but i like it! thank you thank you! =)

Oops. I realised I didnt ask for a PM. Well I think ill ask now. Can I please have a PM when you update?
On with the review: (I cant believe I missed out on two chapters)

Syd had her kid. I thought that Syd would have had it when she went on a mission or something. Well this is a nicer way, gotta say. And Vaughn still hates Sark? I thought they were over that. Tyler sounds like a cute 7? year old. It was cute when he was talking about girls being 'icky'.

I hope you update soon.

Chapter Five

“I can’t stop pacing,” Sydney said, throwing her hands into the air. She chanced a small glance out the window and was not surprised to see no movement at all outside. “Why am I so nervous?”

“Because you’re about to do the impossible?” Sark volunteered from his position holding his daughter on the couch. He was half ignoring his wife, knowing that she just needed to reason a few things out aloud and then would return to her normal self.

“It is impossible, isn’t it? I mean, where did I come off thinking this was going to work?”

Sark almost laughed. He knew exactly where she was coming from. Sydney had a penchant for achieving the unachievable. This situation, though, it might be pushing the envelope.

Michael and Lauren Vaughn were currently on their way to the safe house with their son Tyler sleeping in the backseat. Like Sydney had instructed, they waited until the dead of night to leave their house. What they hadn’t been told was the small fact that Sydney expected them to live with her husband and daughter in this obscure cabin right outside Los Angeles. Not exactly a detail she should have left out, in his opinion.

“They’ll deal with it once you explain,” he said finally.

“I don’t know how to explain.” She was about to go on when she heard the sounds of a car door opening. Her body automatically froze up. It suddenly occurred to her that she wasn’t ready for this. There hadn’t been enough time to prepare.

Sark just sat bouncing Hope a little in an effort to get her to giggle at him. He wasn’t concerned with Michael Vaughn. The man always seemed to step in line when it came to Sydney. And this new addition to his life was so fascinating that nothing could tear his attention away from her.

It was this sight that Vaughn first saw when he carried his sleeping son through the front door. “Hello,” he said, not knowing what else to do.

“Go put Tyler to sleep. I gave him the second bedroom on the left upstairs. I’ll explain when he’s all settled,” Sydney said. She turned to her husband. “I think you should go try to get Hope to go to sleep in her room, too, Julian.”

Knowing that now was not the time to argue, he simply nodded and stood up to follow her suggestion. When he passed by her side, he leaned in to whisper, “Don’t think I don’t know that you’re trying to get rid of me.”

Sydney waited patiently for Vaughn to return in the living room with Lauren, who had been trailing behind her husband. “I’m glad you trusted me enough to show up,” Sydney said after a moment of silence.

“We discussed if we should first,” Lauren answered honestly. “We weren’t sure if we could believe you. I mean, the idea of Irina working legitimately for the US government and employing her daughter and the man she raised as a son thereby thrusting the two people who mean the most to her into danger on a daily basis? Come on. That’s not exactly believable.”

“You have a point. Sometimes I wake up and don’t even believe it myself.”

They lapsed into silence again until Vaughn came back into the room. “So, what are you doing here with your daughter?”

Sydney decided to go for the ripping-the-band-aid-off-in-one-big-thrust approach. “We’re going to be living in the safe house with you.”

“We as if you, Sark, and Hope?” Lauren asked.

“Yes. We’re really not sure what to do with Tyler and Hope until we’ve realized more about this Rambaldi prophecy. They both need protection, and it will be easier to do if there are four of us here.”

“A good point,” Vaughn said. “But do you actually believe that Julian Lazarey and I can live in peace under the same roof?”

“You’re going to have to,” Lauren interjected before Sydney could respond. “We don’t have any other choice. We need to keep Tyler safe. If Sydney thinks this is the best option, then it must be.”

Vaughn nodded, agreeing with his wife’s logic. He would demand more explanation later when he wasn‘t so confused. “Aren’t you worried that keeping Tyler and Hope in the same place is going to hurt the situation?”

“I’ve worried about that in a hundred different ways. The worst being that I’m afraid that we might just be feeding into what the prophecy wants. If it means something bad will happen when the children of the prophecy meet, having them live together will speed up the process.”

“Then wouldn’t the wise decision be to keep them apart?” Lauren asked.

Vaughn placed his hand on his wife’s arm. “I think that Sydney’s decided the four of us together should be able to keep both children safe. But I can’t keep myself from thinking that we’re giving our enemies a two-for-one deal on the kidnapping issue.”

“No one will be kidnapping my daughter anytime soon,” Sark said from the doorway. “And since keeping her safe involves keeping your son safe, no one will be touching him either.”

He walked into a room and took a seat on the arm of Sydney’s chair. It was a small habit of his to keep himself in a position that allows a full scan of the room at all times. “What do we do now?” he asked.

“Yeah,” Lauren turned to Sydney. “We can’t just sit here twiddling our thumbs.”

“We’re not,” Sydney explained. “The four of us are going to work as quickly as we can from this location to figure out why Rambaldi is messing with our lives once more.”

“Shouldn’t that be hard?” Vaughn said, looking at his surroundings. “This isn’t exactly the Rotunda.”

“It’s better,” Sydney said with a smirk. “This place is one of my father’s personal safehouses. He stocked it himself personally.”

“Where do we start first?” Lauren asked, sighing loudly.

“We start with studying the actual wording of the prophecy. We need to figure out first what he meant by confrontation. I want to know if this is something we should be preventing or encouraging. I mean, we‘re not even sure if Rambaldi is working against us.”

Sark laughed lightly and, when his wife sent him a familiar look, he went on to explain. “You talk of Rambaldi as if he is currently alive to make your life hell.”

“It feels like he is,” Sydney shot back.

“But he’s not alive. He died centuries ago. Granted he left a rather horrible plan behind in terms of your life. But he’s not around. Whatever he planned can be stopped because he’s not here to make sure it goes off without a hitch.”

Lauren stood up suddenly. “Enough talking. Let’s get this started so we can return to our normal lives as quickly as possible.”

“There’s a computer terminal you can use in the other room.” Sydney pointed to her left. “You can start checking out some of your NSC sources. Maybe there’s some information out there that I’m not privy to. It’s worth a shot.”

Lauren nodded and left the room without another word.

Vaughn’s eyes met Sark’s from across the room. Without another word, he followed his wife, standing up and walking into the next room.

“You’re right,” Sark said with a chuckle. “He does still hate me. This should be fun.”

“You do realize that we might be stuck here for a long while,” Sydney pointed out. “There’s really no information out there yet. It might take months for something new to emerge.”

“It will happen eventually. And you and I are perfectly capable of running our normal lives while at this safehouse. Multitasking was always your thing when you were doing that double agent thing.”

“Well, it should be getting a lot harder now that we have a daughter. We have to start thinking of her first rather than only worrying about satisfying our lust for action.”

“I think we’ll be fine,” Sark said, standing up. “You should call your mother. Let her know that all six of us are here safely. And ask her if there’s anything she needs us to do from our current house arrest position.”

Sydney nodded. She actually had a whole list of people she needed to talk with. Her mother and father being at the top. Then there was the call to Will to make sure that he was fully recovered. She also had to make sure that Dixon understood that Vaughn and Lauren might not be on active status for quite a while. Not to mention the endless list of phone calls to her old contacts to see if they knew anything about the Rambaldi prophecy that was currently messing with her life.

It practically made her head ache just thinking about it.

Before she could lift a hand, her cell phone began to ring loudly. Picking it up as quickly as she could so that Hope wouldn’t be awoken, she hissed “Bristow” into her end.

“Are you all moved in?” Irina asked on the other end.

“Yes, Mom. I was about to call you and let you know. But your impatience must have gotten the best of you.”

“I was never a fan of waiting.” Irina sighed. “Plus, I wanted to let you know that your father and I are getting nowhere. There’s no mention of any new Rambaldi information on the black market. It’s almost as if someone made the whole thing up.”

“Could someone have?”

“I wouldn’t put it past a person. You have rubbed quite a few people wrong in your time as a spy.”

“You’ve wronged three times as many people. Did it ever occur to you that they might be trying to get to you through me?”

“No way,” Irina said. “Anyone who’s met me wouldn’t dare to hurt you in that way.”

Sark walked into the room, and Sydney motioned to him who was on the other end. He rolled his eyes and grabbed the phone out of her head. “Irina, darling. We’ve just gotten here. Could your nagging wait a few more hours?”

“Julian. If you weren’t so amusing to me, I would have you killed.”

“You could try.”

“And I’d succeed,” she said assuredly. “You take care of my granddaughter.”

“I will. She and her mother are the only good things in my life. I wouldn’t lose them if it was a matter of life or death.”

“Good. Listen, Julian. I was going to tell Sydney this, but I’m not sure if she could handle it right now. She’s still emotional from realizing that her daughter’s life might be as turbulent as her own has been.” Irina paused. “It’s highly likely that the search for some truth in this mess is going to take longer than anyone thought.”

“How long?” he said, making sure not to look at Sydney.

“Years.”

“I see. And during that time?”

“I will try to figure out as much work as I can for you to do. But it’s likely that protecting your daughter will occupy most of your time.”

“And what about the fact that she is to reside in the same house as Tyler Vaughn?” Sydney sent him a strange look at his mention of Tyler’s name, but he ignored her once more.

“I didn’t think it was a wise decision until we were sure that this confrontation is a positive thing. Unfortunately, her father thought otherwise.”

“You let him win an argument?”

“I chose my battles. This was not one worth fighting.”

“But you think the arrangement should have to be changed once information is found?”

“I think that neither Michael Vaughn nor his young son should really have any connection to my daughter. It seems like her life is always better during times like those.”

He grinned wickedly at Sydney as he made his next comment. “She would be quite angry if she knew that you thought that.”

“Be a dear, Julian, and don’t tell her.”

“I can’t lie to my wife, Irina.”

“Yes, you can. You’re just afraid of what will happen if she finds out that you’ve been lying.”

“Absolutely.”

“Good.” Irina hung up abruptly.

Sark lowered the cell phone and handed it back to Sydney. “What did my mother want?” she asked.

“She wanted to know that I’m aware of what’s being asked of me.”

“And what exactly is being asked of you?”

“Protection. A defense of what is mine.”

“Hope and myself?”

He nodded. “This situation might not resolve itself quickly, Sydney.”

“I know.”

Sark sighed and stood up. “No, I really don’t think you do, darling. But you will soon.”

She scowled as she watched him leave the room. Why did he always have to act so smug and informed? It was his most irritating quality. The thing that made her most angry was the fact that somewhere deep inside of her she knew that he was right. It was going to take a long, long time to work through this mess. If it was the last thing she did, though, her daughter would live a normal life without feeling like a pawn.

kidblink83 said:
Sark just sat bouncing Hope a little in an effort to get her to giggle at him.  He wasn’t concerned with Michael Vaughn.  The man always seemed to step in line when it came to Sydney.  And this new addition to his life was so fascinating that nothing could tear his attention away from her.

[post="1030840"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Okay that is such a cute mental image. I love it! This is a great story. I can't wait for your next update, and thanks for the PM.

Back