Only One

SkyGirl5

Cadet
ok another one parter... this one i dunno where i got this
i started out as like a whole fic but then sorta changed into a one parter

Syd's missing 2 years- what if she found vaughn on his wedding day?
Angsty ;)

Only One

As she approached the church, she began to second guess herself. Why was she doing this? What would it achieve? Surely it could only bring her more heartbreak. Yes, she knew this to be true, but she kept walking. No matter how much it would hurt, no matter how much it would rip her heart out, and despite the fact that this could possibly be the one thing she would never recover from, she had to see him, even if it was for the very last time.

Her hands trembling, she pulled open the door and stepped inside. The entryway was bustling with people, chatting and smiling, but the moment she walked in, they stopped. Some, those who didn’t know her, were probably suspicious of the way she looked. After all, jeans and an old sweatshirt were hardly attire for a wedding. Those who did know her were pale with shock and stunned with confusion. How was this possible?

Ignoring their stares, she walked over to Eric, who was standing off to the side, the only one not looking shocked. After all, he told her that Vaughn was getting married and he had to have suspected that she might show up. “Where is he?” she asked him simply. He gestured down the hall without a word and she took a step in that direction, but he held her back.

“Let me go in first,” Eric told her. She nodded simply. It might make it more believable, right? Who knows, she hardly believed it herself.

~*~

Looking in the mirror, he could hardly tie his tie correctly. His hands were trembling. He was looking at his reflection, staring at it intently, wondering, musing about the man he had become. Was he really doing the right thing? Marrying a woman he didn’t love with all his heart and every inch, every part of his soul? There had only been one woman that fit that description. There could only be one, but she had long since gone without any hope of returning.

A million ideas, most of them ways to escape, filtered through his mind, but one thing kept him grounded. He didn’t want to be alone forever and if that meant settling for someone who made him at least partly happy, then so be it. But still, he was skeptical of this. Is one supposed to settle in life when it comes to eternal happiness? No, probably not, but unfortunately, fate took away his only other option.

A knock at the door, and he turned towards it. “Yeah?”

Eric poked his head in, not wearing his usual goofy Eric grin, but wearing a stern, solemn face, one he almost never had. Vaughn had expected some last minute jesting about a ball and chain from him, but there had been none, not even at his bachelor party the previous evening.

“I, um, well… she wanted to come here, to see you… I know you won’t believe it… I didn’t… but she’s real. I just wanted to tell you that she’s real,” Eric said.

A million wrinkles covered Vaughn’s forehead. “Eric, what are you talking about?”

Eric didn’t say a word, he merely disappeared out the door and then it opened once more. She stepped in like a shadow, closing the door silently behind her and staring back at him. He stopped breathing.

She looked at him for a moment, her breath caught in her chest, trying desperately to swallow the lump in her throat before it turned into unstoppable tears. His green eyes didn’t sparkle as much anymore and he had some faint lines around his eyes. Then again, two years could do that to a person, especially two stressful years. She knew that she looked drastically different as well.

She opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out. All of a sudden, her good intentions had come back to bite her in the ass. What had she been thinking? How could she be standing here on his wedding day? On the day that he was marrying a woman who wasn’t her.

Vaughn blinked. He blinked again. She didn’t disappear. But how could this be? She was gone; buried two years earlier. But there she was. She’s real, Eric had said, but was she?

Her face was ashen white with obvious bruises that were beginning to fade around her eyes and cheekbones. Her usually sparkling brown eyes were dull and sunken with deep, dark circles all around. Her hair was darker than he remembered and she looked smaller somehow, possibly thinner.

He swallowed twice, trying to moisten his throat that had gone dry, but it was no use.

“I…,” she began in a harsh voice. She cleared her throat quietly and began again. “I… wanted to see you. I know, I know this is a bad time and I really… I really don’t mean to ruin this for you, Vaughn…”

When she said his name, his heart leapt into his throat and suddenly he felt as though he was going to cry.

“I just wanted to see you,” she whispered, sounding on the verge of tears. “I just got back… well, a few days ago. They’ve kept me in medical services…” She didn’t continue on that thought. This was no time or place to go into detail about that explanation.

“I just wanted to see you,” she repeated. “And, um, tell you that I want you to be happy – I’m glad you’re happy… that you’ve moved on… yeah, that’s all,” she said. Again, silenced filled the room. She wished he’d speak but knew that he wouldn’t, so she turned to leave.

Pausing for a moment, she turned tentatively. “Oh, if you want to talk then… ever, you know whenever, I’ll be at my father's. Goodbye Vaughn,” she whispered before slowly opening the door and walking back out into the crowded hallway. She didn’t look at anyone; she didn’t say anything; she just walked away.

On her way back to her father’s car (which she had borrowed), she fought the tears. She had just made what was supposed to be the most amazing admission of her life, that she valued Vaughn’s happiness above him being with her and it was the honest truth... so why did it make her feel so awful? Why did it make her feel like dying?

Never seeing him again was a thought that made her physically shake. Was she strong enough? She wasn’t sure. Sure, she had made it through two years without his eyes, two years without his warm embrace, two years without his kisses, two years without the strength she felt when she was around him, but those two years had nearly killed her. And even then, she had the hope – the hope of seeing him once more, even if only for a second, and that’s what kept her going. But now? Now, never seeing him again was a true possibility. After all, he was marrying another woman; he was no longer hers.

~*~

Three days. It had been three days since she had seen him. Sitting, or rather, moping on her father’s couch, she wondered where he was. Was he on his honeymoon with her? That was a thought that made her want to retch. Sitting there, for the first time, she thought that maybe it was good she’d never see him again. After all, how could she sit by and watch him with another woman, a woman that was his wife, someone that should have been her.

Upon hearing a knock at the door, she flicked off the soap opera she had been lazily paying attention to and got off the couch. When she opened the door, she found him staring at her looking as though a tiny bit of sparkle had returned to his eyes. She didn’t speak, her heart had jumped a mile and her throat had gone dry when she saw him. All she could do was stare at him like he had stared at her three days earlier.

“In my life there has only been one person,” he began, his voice sounding slightly shaky. “There has only been one person I’ve loved with all my heart, only one person who was my very best friend, only one person who I thought was my soul mate, and only one person I wanted to spend forever with. That person is you, Sydney.”

With his words, Sydney couldn’t stop the tears from rolling down her cheeks. He was already beginning to erase the two years worth of pain she had suffered simply by speaking to her.

“Sydney,” he breathed as he reached out and cupped her face with one of his hands, brushing away the tears with his thumb.

Sydney shut her eyes and rubbed her face against his hand, feeling the warm touch of his skin for the first time in what seemed like eternity. She brought her hand up and wrapped her fingers around his. When she realized what hand she was holding, her eyes snapped open. She looked down at his left ring finger and saw that it was bare. Hardly breathing, she looked up to him once more.

“Lauren, that was her name,” he continued. “Knew about you... about us. She knew that I’d always love you with every part of me and that with her.... it just wasn’t the same. So, right after you left, when I went to her and told her that you were alive, she understood immediately that we wouldn’t be marrying that day.” He paused, almost collecting his thoughts for a moment.

“She... she’s a good person and I’m sorry that I had to hurt her but.... I think she understood, because you Sydney... you...,” he said as he took a step towards her and held her face with both of his hands, his fingers gently rubbing against her skin. “I would have given my life just to see you one more time,” he told her with heart-wrenching honesty as his voice faltered slightly, on the edge of breaking down.

“Vaughn,” she exhaled her first word in their conversation. Then, without another word, without another word needing to be said, she fell into his arms and he held her tighter than he had ever held anyone before.

1st? :P

“In my life there has only been one person,” he began, his voice sounding slightly shaky. “There has only been one person I’ve loved with all my heart, only one person who was my very best friend, only one person who I thought was my soul mate, and only one person I wanted to spend forever with. That person is you, Sydney.”
That was brilliant!!!!!!!!!! Reminds me of what he says in the North Korean jail cell :P

WOW, that was amazing, i absolutely loved it!

ETA: I've been meaning to say this since forever, but when i first saw your av yesterday, i cried! i love it

awwwwwwww!! :2love:

beautifully written.

Oh... that made me cry. (n) Why couldn't that have happened on the real show! :P The way Vaughn went to Syd and told her there was only one person in his life. :love: That was beautiful, Janet. ;)

“Vaughn,” she exhaled her first word in their conversation. Then, without another word, without another word needing to be said, she fell into his arms and he held her tighter than he had ever held anyone before.

Makes me miss Vaughn even more. :( Great job. Hoping for a reunion like that to happen on the show.

According to Vaughn:"We're in this together". Right?:thinking:

Keep up the awesome work you do and can't wait what else you have in store for us. Keep me on that pm list. (y)

:smiley:

CJ

Completely awesome!
I loved that line it was perfectas was this story. Thank you so much for posting it and for the PM.

I think that was one of the best one parters i have ever read.
I love it amazing
really thats all there is to say
E

You should seriously be a writer for Alias!!
Screw those other writer that are just screwing the show up!!
Seriously great writing!!
Thanks for the pm!!

That was AWESOME, I have to agree way better than Season 3!!! That should have been the way that it really happened :D

Back