OSCAR NOMINEES ANNOUNCED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every movie in italics is the one I believe will win the award...

BEST PICTURE
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
LOST IN TRANSLATION
MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD
MYSTIC RIVER
SEABISCUIT

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Johnny Depp - PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL
Ben Kingsley - HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG
Jude Law - COLD MOUNTAIN
Bill Murray - LOST IN TRANSLATION
Sean Penn - MYSTIC RIVER

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Keisha Castle-Hughes - WHALE RIDER
Diane Keaton - SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE
Samantha Morton - IN AMERICA
Charlize Theron - MONSTER
Naomi Watts - 21 GRAMS

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Alec Baldwin - THE COOLER
Benicio Del Toro - 21 GRAMS
Djimon Hounsou - IN AMERICA
Tim Robbins - MYSTIC RIVER
Ken Watanabe - THE LAST SAMURAI

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Shohreh Aghdashloo - HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG
Patricia Clarkson - PIECES OF APRIL
Marcia Gay Harden - MYSTIC RIVER
Holly Hunter - THIRTEEN
Renée Zellweger - COLD MOUNTAIN

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
BROTHER BEAR
FINDING NEMO
THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE

DIRECTING
CITY OF GOD
LOST IN TRANSLATION
MYSTIC RIVER

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS
DIRTY PRETTY THINGS
FINDING NEMO
IN AMERICA
LOST IN TRANSLATION

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
AMERICAN SPLENDOR
CITY OF GOD
MYSTIC RIVER
SEABISCUIT

MUSIC (SONG)
"Into the West" - THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
"A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" - A MIGHTY WIND
"Scarlet Tide" - COLD MOUNTAIN
"The Triplets of Belleville" - THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE
"You Will Be My Ain True Love" - COLD MOUNTAIN

MUSIC (SCORE)
BIG FISH
COLD MOUNTAIN
FINDING NEMO
HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG

MAKEUP
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL

COSTUME DESIGN
GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING
THE LAST SAMURAI
SEABISCUIT

ART DIRECTION
THE LAST SAMURAI
SEABISCUIT

VISUAL EFFECTS

SOUND
THE LAST SAMURAI
SEABISCUIT

SOUND EDITING
FINDING NEMO

CINEMATOGRAPHY
CITY OF GOD
COLD MOUNTAIN
SEABISCUIT

FILM EDITING
CITY OF GOD
COLD MOUNTAIN
SEABISCUIT

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS
EVIL
THE TWILIGHT SAMURAI
TWIN SISTERS
ŽELARY

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
BALSEROS
CAPTURING THE FRIEDMANS
THE FOG OF WAR
MY ARCHITECT
THE WEATHER UNDERGROUND

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
ASYLUM
CHERNOBYL HEART
FERRY TALES

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)
BOUNDIN'
DESTINO
GONE NUTTY
HARVIE KRUMPET
NIBBLES

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)
DIE ROTE JACKE (The Red Jacket)
MOST (The Bridge)
SQUASH
(A) TORZIJA ([A] Torsion)
TWO SOLDIERS
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The top 10 nominated films are (all have more than 3 nominations):

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (11 Nominations)
2. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (10 Nominations)
3. Cold Mountain (7 nominations)
4. Seabiscuit (7 nominations)
5. Mystic River (6 nominations; all large)
6. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (5 nominations)
7. City of God (4 nominations)
8. The Last Samurai (4 nominations)
9. Lost in Translations (4 nominations)
10. Finding Nemo (4 nominations)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to post your thoughts/concerns/comments. :smiley:

woho!!!!!
for me its a toss up between pirates and rotk. both excellent movies. i wish i could see all of the movies that had been nominated but it would cost me a fortune that i dont have.
cant wiat until oscar nite.
ukaliaschick :scotsman:

Wow, Nicole Kidman wasn't nominated for lead actress for Cold Mounatain, but Jude Law and Renee Zellweger were nominated for lead actor and supporting actress for it?!?!? That's REALLY surprising!!! Nicole Kidman always gets nominated, and she was nominated for the Golden Globe, which is usually a good predictor of Oscar success. I haven't seen the movie or anything, so I don't have a personal opinion, but I'm betting a lot of people are going to be VERY upset and shocked by this.

Since she's not in it, looks like Charlize Theron has it in the bag.

Wow! The Barbarian Invasions got teo noms! Cool! It's from beaver land :beaver: hehe

I want Bill Murray to win best actor and Tim best supporting....because they are both nice guys who give funny speaches. HAHA!

~~Spongy!

seriously... if rotk doesn't win best picture. there's going to be a massive riot outburst of the nerds of america. the last two didn't win, so they're getting kind of antsy. hahahaha.

I am a huge awards follower so please forgive my entirely too long post which i am about to type! ;)

In my opinion, the two big winners will be RoTK and Lost in Translation. AFter Sunday night we noticed the trend with Lost in Translation. Plus eveyrone pretty much knows the genius of Miss Coppola.

For best picture, i see either of those two taking the pot. But my money, and heart, go to Return of the King. I am a huge LotR freak, having read all books and seeing all the movies atleast hundreds of times ;). I have not seen Lost in Translation because i live in a smaller town and that movie is only in the major cities(stupid producers who decide that! movies for all!!! no matter how obscure they are! :angry:smiley: Here is my theory on LotR movies:

They have been nominated in this category for the past two years, never winning although they deserved it because of its greatness! it has everything, amazing acting, the art direction and special effects are phenomnal. Plus they really do bring to life Tolkiens world of fantasy and make it believable! which is an amazing feat to accomplish! The reason why they have never won is because i think the academy is looking at this movie as one movie instead of three. Therefore if they gave it to the first part, then the second would win and then the third. but if they wait for the third and recognize all of the movies with the final installment, and that is what i think they are going to do!

Best Actress: Nicole was a shock to me! because i personally think she is amazing and did an amazing job portraying Ada Monroe, very true to the book, but she isnt nominated, but she will be there to present! :smiley:

this is between diane keaton and charlize...id be suprised if someone else won this cateogory.

Best Actor: Bill Murray or Sean Penn, but im leaning to Bill Murray because of all the Lost in Translation hype. (although i am truly happy to Johnny Depp get the recognition he deserves for that role! :clap: sadly the movie isnt academy material so he will not be winning! :()

Supporting Actress: even though i do not really like her Renee does deserve this, she didnt an outstanding true portrayal of Ruby! props to her. hope she wins

Supporting Actor: Tim Robbins.....who else would win this?! :blink:

direction: another toss up between lotr and lost in translation but im almost positive it will go to Peter Jackson and then the writing will go to Sofia because they are not up against each other.

over all i think the big winners will be the two big movies, lost in translation and LOTR. lord of the rings has long been over due on its winnings and i think they will make up for it this year! hopefully!!!

First, I am shocked that Cold Mountain didn't get a best picture nom and second, Nicole didn't get a best actress nod. That would have been three years in a row!! I think Charlize has it in the bag. Hasn't the trend that past two years been glam down and the Oscar's yours? (Halle, Nicole, Hilary Swank in past years)

I'm not so sure if Sofia Coppola will get Best Director either. It's her first nomination for one of her first critically acclaimed pictures (there was the Virgin Suicides, but not as well recieved as LIT) There's plenty of time for her to win in the future, whereas this is Rings last chance!

Just my two cents ;)

alright well, here's my basic oscar-post.

I was really surprised by a LOT this year - mainly Keisha Castle-Hughes! She's 13, the youngest Best Actress Nominee EVER. Nice thing to have on your resumé.

No Nicole was shocking, not because she really, absolutely deserved it, but there was just so much buzz surrounding her and the film. I was surprised by her as well as no Best Picture/Director nom for Cold Mountian/Anthony Minghella.

Johnny Depp is a major shock to me - I really didn't expect the Academy to nominate someone for a comedy, therefore I was also surprised by Diane Keaton.

I agree with everyone when they say it's the year of the ring... I don't think there will be an upsets this year, Charlize seems to be set in stone, as does Renée. ROTK should wuin best picture, it's a fitting tribute to end the trilogy, and it deserves it.

I just think it would be really surprising (and cool) if there WERE some upets, say, Keisha or Naomi winning best actress, or Sofia for best director. (Don't get me wrong, Peter Jackson is FANTASTIC. just imagining. and she is only the third woman ever to be nominated for best director. maybe part of me wants her to win just to be the first woman to win. :lol:smiley: i'm hoping for either her or peter jackson, but peter more so.

In my opinion, the two big winners will be RoTK and Lost in Translation. AFter Sunday night we noticed the trend with Lost in Translation. Plus eveyrone pretty much knows the genius of Miss Coppola.

i quite agree. very upset over not seeing lost in translation though. but hoping for some wins for that film.

but ROTK is taking it. it's the final film in the trilogy, and it just seems like the academy was holding off until they could reward the whole project. and it truly deserves it, absolutely amazing film.

Best Actress: Nicole was a shock to me! because i personally think she is amazing and did an amazing job portraying Ada Monroe, very true to the book, but she isnt nominated, but she will be there to present! 

this is between diane keaton and charlize...id be suprised if someone else won this cateogory.

i think they've already got charlize's name on the statue. really pulling for naomi or keisha though. wouldn't it be amazing if keisha castle-hughes won? the youngest best actress nominee EVER. that's just, making me INSANELY jealous.

Best Actor: Bill Murray or Sean Penn, but im leaning to Bill Murray because of all the Lost in Translation hype. (although i am truly happy to Johnny Depp get the recognition he deserves for that role!  sadly the movie isnt academy material so he will not be winning! )

i agree with you, it's really a toss up between the two. i don't think johnny really deserved the nomination, but that's just me. sir ben is a great actor, but i don't think he's got what it takes to overturn both sean AND bill - i don't think jue is even in the running, like johnny. he just wasn't amazing.

Supporting Actress: even though i do not really like her Renee does deserve this, she didnt an outstanding true portrayal of Ruby! props to her. hope she wins

never thought i would hear you say that, vicki! you hope renée wins?? :eek: i think she's got this one already... no question, i agree with you.

Supporting Actor: Tim Robbins.....who else would win this?!

i think that Djimon Hounsou could be a surprise winner - In America has rave reviews and so much buzz, I think it might pull off a ffew upsets this year.

direction: another toss up between lotr and lost in translation but im almost positive it will go to Peter Jackson and then the writing will go to Sofia because they are not up against each other.

i agree, writing will defintely go to sofia, and director could go either way.

First, I am shocked that Cold Mountain didn't get a best picture nom and second, Nicole didn't get a best actress nod. That would have been three years in a row!! I think Charlize has it in the bag. Hasn't the trend that past two years been glam down and the Oscar's yours? (Halle, Nicole, Hilary Swank in past years)

you're right, it seems if you de-glam, you win. that's actually sad, really, i think last year everyone concentrated more on nicole's nose than they did on her performance... i think she did great but i don't think she deserved the oscar last year.

I'm not so sure if Sofia Coppola will get Best Director either. It's her first nomination for one of her first critically acclaimed pictures (there was the Virgin Suicides, but not as well recieved as LIT) There's plenty of time for her to win in the future, whereas this is Rings last chance!

but still, only three women have EVER been nominated for best director. i want to pull for her just because she's a woman. :lol:

I started shrieking when I remembered the nominations were today ppl thought I was crazy :lol:

I am amazingly happy that ROTK has been nominated for so many, although I'm very disappointed Sean Astin wasn't nominated for Best Supporting Actor. And Keisha Castle-Hughes was nominated YAY! :D

Kara said:
Best Actress: Nicole was a shock to me! because i personally think she is amazing and did an amazing job portraying Ada Monroe, very true to the book, but she isnt nominated, but she will be there to present! 

i think they've already got charlize's name on the statue. really pulling for naomi or keisha though. wouldn't it be amazing if keisha castle-hughes won? the youngest best actress nominee EVER. that's just, making me INSANELY jealous.

never thought i would hear you say that, vicki! you hope renée wins?? :eek: i think she's got this one already... no question, i agree with you.

Supporting Actor: Tim Robbins.....who else would win this?!

i think that Djimon Hounsou could be a surprise winner - In America has rave reviews and so much buzz, I think it might pull off a ffew upsets this year.
:lol:!!! i know! yes i am very anti-renee. But i would be blind and biased if i said she didnt deserve! i still do not care for her herself, but her acting skills are greatly improving and she does hands down deserve and it and will win that category! ;)

and yes i agree! i have a feeling if a movie does pull an upset its In America which i am so happy just came out near me, so i am going to go see it some time this week! :smiley:

and i know that would be amazing if keisha won, but i highly doubt that because first she needs to get past charlize, then past diane keaton and those are some tough odds to get through for a youngster! ;)

LOTR though receiving 11 and the most nominations still should have received the Sound Editing and Cinematography noms, I'm sorry this isn't even because I'm biased towards ROTK, it truly deserves these Nominations; even if they won these Oscars in the past.

I dont' know how many ppl have seen Seabiscuit but it was a really good movie! Though my loyalties stays with LOTR *sigh* 11 noms better win more than half of them or my parent's arn't gonna be happy with the condition that my tv is going to be ;) Finding Nemo and Pirates deserve something too! :D
--mandy :angelic:

see, i saw seabiscuit and hated it. i thought it was horribly done, drawn out and the cinematography wasnt all that special.

sorry but that is my opinion. ;)

:lol: well i'm kinda partial to movies that has horses in them ;) :lol:
--Mandy :angelic:

I really liked Seabiscuit, but I thought it was longer than it needed to be. Especially the beginning, with the backstories for everybody. Watching it on TV might be okay, but you get a little ansty in the theater. But I don't think it really has a chance of winning best picture. They'll just be happy with the nomination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back