Otherworldly creatures too much?

Makkah

Cadet
One thing I'm worried about...

All the "creatures" we've seen so far are grotesque, disfigured beings that are practically alien. I'm personally waiting to see some good ole trolls, kobolds, great boars, etc.

Stuff that may seem vanilla in other games, but that are readily recognizable. They might be fillers, but sometimes it's the normal things that make you feel at home.

Not so say everything doesn't look great so far, but I'm just worried that the game is gonna be too off the wall.

Well, one of the taglines I keep seeing is that this is a "different sort of game", " a change from the status quo". So, why not some different odd critters. Who knows, maybe they will replace the old standards in your mind, so that when you play another game you'll be saying, "Where the hell are the Ulkar? (or however, its spelled).

That's not to say I don't have a soft spot in my heart for kobold thumpin'. Or those smelly, bleating roltons that infest Elanthia in another of Simu's games.. :smiley:

As it stands we really haven't seen all that much of the world or its inhabitants....just some screen shots and some movies. And of course, the screens and movies exhibit the unique aspects and critters of the game (as well they should). So, take heart....they may yet appear. But, if they dont'...it shouldn't really be that horrible.

I'm all for a change in the "norm". It seems that ever since I've started with rpg's back with D&D that the same creatures keep appearing in every other world that comes out. So a facelift persay is nice and seems to have a new style of lore to go with it. I see where your coming from though in that we've all gotten used to the same creatures but maybe this will open our eyes to new things instead of settling for the "norm".

Well, if every monster in this game was the same as all the others in other games then it wouldn't be very original, would it?

I'm all for some new monsters to fight. Long as they don't have long names like Xaophonaloticans or something. Like to beable to say the name of the thing attacking me before it kills me :D

I'm actually enjoying the look of the mobs. However, I belive they should still have the same creatures such as bears, goblins, spiders, etc..

Haha I had to say your post multiple times before I realized where that came from. On top of it huge trolls would be fun to fight!

I want to tame a goblin to be my "pet" muhahaha...

btw, I just realized that I end about 200 of my posts with a "muahahaha"
A cry for help, ya think?

Of course I wasn't saying that HJ should have ALL old critters. Just that'd it'd be nice to see a few familiar faces. All these cracked out demons and "The Pack" are just a bit too out there and will take some getting used to.

Just saying I'd love to see some goblins, kobs, boars, spiders, orcs, trolls, ROLTONS, et cetera et cetera.

I'm all for a new brand of monsters. I for one was like "f*cking cool" when I saw the first vid with the flying whale looking monsters. They remind me of the floating jellyfish in Morrowind that are docile to you unless provoked, lol.

You prolly will see some of the typical evil beasties...they'll just have a different name. If I remember correctly I've seen a screenshot of a kobold type race, but I forgot what they call em.

We still have dragons! And for the WoW players Naga like creatures.

Im all for having new beasties, becuase hey, your just killing them, your not moving in and sharing a room together.

It will be nice to get a break from the norm, something more exciting.

I LOVE wierd monsters. One of the reasons I liked the Final Fantasy series, they had some very out-there creatures in those games. I like seeing creative, interesting beasties I haven't seen before! :smiley:

<<You prolly will see some of the typical evil beasties...they'll just have a different name. If I remember correctly I've seen a screenshot of a kobold type race, but I forgot what they call em. >>

Those were the Beshon... and they really didn't remind me of kobolds :-/

Originally posted by Cobalt Katze@Jun 16 2006, 11:01 PM
I'm all for battling the abnormal. Killing wildlife and stereotypical fantasy "bad races" just gets stale after so long.
I totally agree. I'd would have like to seen some of that apply to PC races too though. :(

Originally posted by Morneblade+Jun 19 2006, 03:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Morneblade @ Jun 19 2006, 03:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cobalt Katze@Jun 16 2006, 11:01 PM
I'm all for battling the abnormal. Killing wildlife and stereotypical fantasy "bad races" just gets stale after so long.
I totally agree. I'd would have like to seen some of that apply to PC races too though. :( [/b][/quote]
Well, despite all the differences from the norm, you can spot the origins. The Ugrek could be likened to Orcs and Ogres. The Pack are similar to Kobolds in that they're of canine origin. The Rakshaal are demon-esque, Broken are undead-esque, and Sunok are lizardman-esque.

That said, the player races may have started off as fantasy stereotypes, but look how far they've come. Instead of select-a-race (Suwari excluded of course), you've got the triangle of slideyness for traits and proportions.

Back