Otherworldly creatures too much?

Originally posted by Cobalt Katze+Jun 19 2006, 04:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cobalt Katze @ Jun 19 2006, 04:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Morneblade@Jun 19 2006, 03:59 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Cobalt Katze
@Jun 16 2006, 11:01 PM
I'm all for battling the abnormal. Killing wildlife and stereotypical fantasy "bad races" just gets stale after so long.

I totally agree. I'd would have like to seen some of that apply to PC races too though. :(
Well, despite all the differences from the norm, you can spot the origins. The Ugrek could be likened to Orcs and Ogres. The Pack are similar to Kobolds in that they're of canine origin. The Rakshaal are demon-esque, Broken are undead-esque, and Sunok are lizardman-esque.

That said, the player races may have started off as fantasy stereotypes, but look how far they've come. Instead of select-a-race (Suwari excluded of course), you've got the triangle of slideyness for traits and proportions. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, but you're basically dealing with skinny humans, short humans, even shorter humans, and cat people for PC's. Personally, I'd rather play a lizardman, snakeman, troll, demon, ect. The less human the better.

And cats don't do it for me. I'm a dog person, hehe. ;)

I would love to play a demon! I think Lineage 2 is the only game where you can play one. I think they implemented a race like that anyways.

"The Pack are similar to Kobolds in that they're of canine origin."

Actually... Kobolds are of reptilian origin...

"short humans"

Never call us Burian "short humans"! We have beards too! And we're better than everyone else. You may refer to us as "Lords of all" "Masters" and "PLEASE DON'T KILL ME".

"I think Lineage 2 is the only game where you can play one."

No, only Dwarf, Human, Orc, Elf, and Dark Elf. No demons.

Originally posted by Darrt@Jun 20 2006, 04:46 AM
"The Pack are similar to Kobolds in that they're of canine origin."

Actually... Kobolds are of reptilian origin...
Kobolds were originally evil gnomish type beings. D&D made them reptilian-looking, and other games have made them doglike or ratlike. DAoC has the humanoid type as a playable race, I believe.

I remember seeing a model of a kobold for a test build of Hero's Journey. However, I was told in no uncertain terms that kobolds would not be in the final game - it was just to test some part of the animation/movement system with.

Personally, I'm looking forward to a game that has no "normal" monsters. Though, you're all forgetting....one standby of fantasy games is still present. Human (or near-human) enemies.

Originally posted by Riceman@Jun 20 2006, 02:45 PM
I remember seeing a model of a kobold for a test build of Hero's Journey. However, I was told in no uncertain terms that kobolds would not be in the final game - it was just to test some part of the animation/movement system with.

Personally, I'm looking forward to a game that has no "normal" monsters. Though, you're all forgetting....one standby of fantasy games is still present. Human (or near-human) enemies.
That part I don't mind, as long as I get to kill them. ;)

My take? Just give me something to kill that isn't a Giant Ant, Garden Snake, Rabbit, or a Wolf or any other simple wildlife or "normally super tiny critter" (ant). I'm all for different mobs...

But... when I'm going through a forest, even if I can't kill it, I'd still not mind seeing a wolf, turkey or rabbit run by. Mobs on the other hand...

~ Jaraeth

Back