Fantasy Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

Title: Pan's Labyrinth

Tagline: What happens when make-believe believes it's real?

Genre: Fantasy, Drama, War

Director: Guillermo del Toro

Cast: Ivana Baquero, Maribel Verdú, Sergi López, Doug Jones, Ariadna Gil, Álex Angulo, Roger Casamajor, Manolo Solo, César Vea, Iván Massagué, Gonzalo Uriarte, Eusebio Lázaro, Francisco Vidal, Juanjo Cucalón, Lina Mira, Mario Zorrilla, Sebastián Haro, Mila Espiga, Pepa Pedroche, Lalá Gatóo, Ana Sáez, Chani Martín, Milo Taboada, Fernando Albizu, Pedro G. Marzo, José Luis Torrijo, Íñigo Garcés, Fernando Tielve, Federico Luppi, Chicho Campillo, Pablo Adán

Release: 2006-08-25

Runtime: 118

Plot: Living with her tyrannical stepfather in a new home with her pregnant mother, 10-year-old Ofelia feels alone until she explores a decaying labyrinth guarded by a mysterious faun who claims to know her destiny. If she wishes to return to her real father, Ofelia must complete three terrifying tasks.
Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

I could have sworn there was already a thread on this movie, but I just checked and didn't see it. Anyway, saw this movie, loved it. It's not one of those epic movies you'll carry with you the rest of your life, but it's not one you'll regret watching either.

Basically, the main character gets thrown into one bad situation after another, with only the hopes of seeing her little brother born and being a princess to keep her going.

8/10

This movie definitely deserves its R rating. The brief descriptions about it are nothing like the movie itself. When I saw it last year my friends and I were expecting a magical romp and got something entirely different instead, but entirely worth watching. A great movie, but certainly not one for you if you feeling down or depressed.

Really? I thought the face being bashed in with a bottle totally deserved a PG-13 rating.

I liked that part too, just goes to show that I'm truly sick at heart (okay that's a lie, I have to close my eyes through like half of that).

Heh, the face smashing was definitely one of the highlights of the movie, not so much because of the guy dieing, but rather how he turned out to be innocent. Lets you get a strong feel for the antagonist.

I sat down thinking this movie would be a lot more magical than it was, so I think the depressing aspects wound up hitting me twice as hard. Oof. >_>

Brilliant movie though, I loved it.

Really? I thought the face being bashed in with a bottle totally deserved a PG-13 rating.

Yeah, that was the only really distrubing part of the movie, for me.

The director of the film is doing the new Hellboy movie too -- from what I can see, his style is on several of the creatures in it, too.

I might have to watch it...

It's a shame I don't speak fluent Spanish really, 'cause it looks like a great film, but foreign films that I watch with subtitles usually don't provide the same atmosphere as those with only speaking (especially if the actors are good). Hmm...