Parallels

Well, For a while, every time I tried to visit this site, it wouldn't let me in, so here's all the updates I haven't posted yet. (There's a lot of them, so you're warned.)

Chapter 9

Marshall’s POV

I’ve known what it’s like to be excited. I distinctly remember Carrie coming to me, looking completely solemn, right before she told me that she was pregnant. I remember when I was helping Sydney bypass Toni Cumming’s (man, that chick is hot) lethal response system when she (Carrie, not Toni or Sydney) came to me saying, “It’s time.” My first mission is engraved in my mind (that Chinese man, Dr. Lee I think it was, is truly creepy). All of these times were more of a nervous excitement more than anything, but excitement nonetheless.

Knowing what will happen tomorrow, I’m filled with excitement. The best part is that it’s not even nervous excitement. It’s excitement, pure and simple. I am going to be present for the formation of world history. The euphoria I feel is unbelievable.

This turn of events makes me think that perhaps, in time, Star Trek may not be so far fetched. “Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Their continuing mission: to explore strange, new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilization; to boldly go where…”

Jack starts speaking, and I focus my attention on him. “With the visit from the ambassador from our parallel universe taking place tomorrow, there are some points I’d like to bring to the forefront.

“First, although we are operating under the assumption that these…beings…are peaceful, I’d just like to state that we could be wrong. Does everyone understand? Sending one person in to do reconnaissance is actually a tried and true military tactic. That could very well be what they’re doing; sending in one operative to scope out our military might in order to adjust their offensive schemes to lay waste to our resistance.

“Now that I’ve stated the potential risk, I’m also going to point out that we are not to use force unless we are fired upon.”

“Excuse me, Mr. Bristow,” I say raising my hand.

“Yes, Marshall?”

“I clear my throat. “As much as I’m looking forward to tomorrow, meeting intelligent life from another planet, and all of that, I am concerned about one aspect of this meeting.”

“Which is?”

“Well,” I start, trying to vocalize my apprehensions. “Have you ever seen Independence Day? It’s that movie with the big, um, saucer-shaped ships that fly all over the world, destroying all big cities with that blue laser-type thing,” (I continue, knowing I’m babbling, but how can I convey the technical aspects of the “laser-type thing” as I phrased it. Would they have known what I was talking about if I called it the super-compressed heat-wave emitter with incendiary capabilities?) “Everyone panics, and Will Smith, I can’t remember his name in the movie, punches out that alien, and then takes it to Area 51, where they discover there’s another alien in the head, and it says, ‘Die! Die!’

There’s mass panic everywhere, not quite on the lines of Savogda, but you know…people are panicking, the media’s going crazy, and whatnot?”

“I fail to see the relevance, and yes, I am familiar with the movie.”

“Right, um, what I was getting to was the reaction of both the public and the media. How are we going to control that?”

Jack’s jaw hardens and I know the next news isn’t going to be pleasant. “There’s going to be an…‘accident’ that will…‘persuade’ people not to venture outside tomorrow. Do you understand?”

I nod, eyes wide. Did Jack just state that they were going to endanger several lives to keep the landing a secret?

As I look around the table, I notice I’m not the only one apprehensive about what was just said. Jack clearly noticed the reactions, also.

“Come on, people, and think it through. It’s not going to be real. Haven’t you ever heard of cover-ups? Haven’t you ever heard of JFK’s assassination?”

(Wow, Jack just admitted that there was another shooter from the grassy knoll.)

A nervous chuckle fills the room, but the chuckles turn into groans when Jack continues. “In order to be here for the meeting and to avoid the accident, I will need you all here by 3 o’ clock tomorrow.”

“A. M?” Weiss asks, and Jack glares at him.

“Yes, Agent Weiss, 3 o’ clock a. m.”

More groans.

“Since you all have an early day tomorrow, you may all go, except for you, Agent Vaughn.”

I gather up my stuff, and leave Jack and Vaughn in the room alone. (I do not envy Vaughn right now.) I look over and see Sydney looking down, confusion on her face.

“Is everything all right?”

“Everything’s fine. I’ve just got some…personal issues I’m dealing with now.”

“Does it have something to do with Vaughn, or whoever he is?”

“A little bit, yeah.”

“Oh, well, I hope you figure it out.”

“Thanks.”

I nod and walk away. When I reach my Mini Cooper, I start looking for my keys. (Figures I’d lock them in my car.) I pull out my cell phone, and start modifying it so that it would broadcast the unlock frequency. (This isn’t the first time I’ve had to do this.)

The lock pops up, and I climb in and head home. I pull up in front of the house and notice that Carrie’s car is gone. Obviously she’s at work.

I play my phone messages (my three terabyte computer is finally in), and as I’m walking by my place at the table I see a note.

Marshall, when you get this, we need to talk.

I try Carrie’s phone, but I don’t get an answer. Grabbing my…not again (cell phone, work your magic)…unlocking my car door, I grab my keys and drive over to the NSA building, where I request a meeting with Carrie.

Minutes later, she comes down, smiling when she sees me. Her eyes are red. Apparently she’s been listening to Jodi Michaels, no, that’s not right, Joni….what? Joni Mitchell, the name suddenly pops into my head.

She hugs me when she reaches me. “What are you doing here so early?”

“Work let out early. What’s going on?”

She swallows hard. Oh, no, I think to myself.

“I had my yearly physical last week. Most of the stuff was simple; I passed it with flying colors. My blood work, however, was taking a while.”

“Why?”

“There were heightened levels of HCG.”

“HCG?” I ask, bewildered.

“Human chorionic gonadotropin,” she answers, but doesn’t answer why she’s acting like she is.

“Which is?”

“Marshall,” she says, placing her hand on my shoulder, “I’m pregnant.”

I feel very light-headed. The world spins, and everything goes black.

…TBC…

Chapter 10

Vaughn’s POV

“D*** alarm” I mumble to myself as I hit the button that silences it. Jack gave us all the night off to get enough sleep, but Sydney and I both had other things on our mind. Sure, we stopped earlier than we had planned, but still, waking up to a blaring alarm at two in the morning is never a pleasant experience.

I kiss Sydney gently on the neck, and then explore the area with my tongue. (She’s the most ticklish in that spot.) Usually when I do this, Sydney turns into a wriggling, laughing mess. This morning she just rolls over slightly and looks at me.

“Not this morning, Vaughn—Kendall—whatever, I’ve got a killer headache.”

“Syd, you can call me whatever you want.”

“Vaughn?”

“Yeah?”

“Could you get me some aspirin?”

I smile at her. “Of course.”

I roll out of the bed, walk over to where I had discarded my clothes from the night before, and slip on my boxers, and head over to the bathroom. Opening up the medicine cabinet, I push aside my shaving cream and some of her make-up, finally laying my hands on a small bottle. Tapping out two pills, I walk into the kitchen and grab a glass.

(As unfortunate as it is about Nadia, I must admit that I do like being the only ones in the apartment. I remember one time when Sydney asked me to get a drink, I ran into Nadia, who wasn’t fully dressed either. Talk about awkward. I’m just glad it wasn’t Weiss, although Sydney told me she’s gotten an eyeful herself.)

That’s beside the point, though. I fill up the glass, and take it in to Sydney who’s also starting to get dressed.

“Do you want to shower first or should I?” I ask.

She looks over at me and smiles. “Who said anything about first?”

Thirty minutes later, we both emerge from the shower, soaking wet. “Do you want breakfast?”

She groans. “It’s too early.”

“Syd?”

“Yeah?”

“Is everything all right?”

“What? Why are you asking?”

“You’ve been acting a bit…strange since we got back together.”

“I’m fine, Vaughn.”

I know I have no reason to, but I don’t believe her. Something has been off in our relationship.

As I drive to APO, I glance over and see Sydney rotating the ring on her finger.

“Are you having second thoughts?”

She looks at me and then looks down. Something’s clearly wrong. This is how she acts when she’s not telling me something. She puts on a brave face, but little tics give her away.

“I’m just…” she begins, and then looks at me. “Please keep your eyes on the road.”

What she just said hurts, but I know I deserve it. “Syd?”

“I got used to not wearing this for those two months. It feels a little foreign.”

I nod and keep driving. I’m not going to force it out of her, but I learned in the DSR that people tend to be more apparent when they’re tired. Their true colors shine through more readily.

The rest of the ride is plagued by an unnatural silence, so the stark contrast of a beaming Marshall greeting us when we walk into APO is a bit of a surprise. He hands me a cigar, then Sydney gets one, too, but she politely declines.

“What’s the occasion? Is it the meeting today?”

“Not at all. I’m going to be a dad again.”

I smile. “Congratulations, Marshall.”

I glance over at Sydney. She smiles, but it’s clearly just a smile of politeness. “Congratulations,” she says, and then starts to walk away.

I follow her. “Syd, what’s wrong?”

She shakes her head, and a tear starts rolling down her cheek. I brush it away with my hand, and then lift her face to mine. “What is it?”

“Carrie…” she starts, and then begins crying again.

“What is it?”

“Carrie’s not the only one…”

“She’s not the only one that’s pregnant? Is that what you’re trying to say?”

Sydney nods, clearly plagued by something she's not telling me.

"What aren't you telling me."

"I feel so guilty."

"What did you do?"

"When I found out..."

"What?"

"I considered...ending..."

I realize what she's saying. "Did you do it?"

Sydney looks at me apologetically. "I was at the clinic, but I couldn't go through with it."

...TBC...

Chapter 11 (Varied POVs)

Sydney’s POV

I look at his face, the shock quite evident. “Vaughn, I…”

“You’re still pregnant, right?”

I nod nervously. “I couldn’t go through with it.”

Even through the tears that are forming in his eyes, he smiles. “I’m going to be a daddy.”

“You’re going to be a daddy,” I say, a smile forming on my face.

His smile fades. “What is it?”

“You didn’t talk to me for two months after the accident.”

“So?”

“So…you were pregnant when the the car hit?”

“I didn’t know about it, but, yeah.”

“Oh, geez,” I hear him mumble quietly. “Is he…she…it all right?”

“The doctors are saying that…it’s fine.”

“You don’t know the…”

“Gender? No, I don’t.” He nods slowly.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“That would have required speaking to you. I didn’t want to go through that.”

“Not then. I understand that. Why didn’t you tell me when we got back together.”

I sigh. “It was too perfect. I didn’t want to…blemish that.”

“Blemish? Syd, this is a blessing.”

I sigh and nod slowly.

“Does Jack know?”

Jack’s POV

She told him. I told her she had to, but still, it’s always a shock to hear the woman you love tell you she’s pregnant.

~ ~ ~

“Jack, Sweetheart, could you come in here please?”

My feet were up, and I was comfortable. Arvin and I had just infiltrated the lab in Lima where the terrorists-of-the-month were cooking up some VX poison gas. The fight was short lived. The goons that tried to stop us had been trained in basic fighting techniques; techniques that we had learned to block and use to our advantage on The Farm.

Getting the containers was a bit more difficult. We were forced to break into a safe using just a telephone. (That is also taught early on at The Farm, but still, it was an unneeded detainment.)

I sigh and get up, walking over to where Laura was standing with a smile on her face. “Jack, I got some great news today.”

“Really?” I ask, perking up, like only Laura can make me do.

“Jack, I’m pregnant.”

~ ~ ~

Although I had been apprehensive when Laura…excuse me, Irina told me she was pregnant, every time I look over at Sydney, my daughter, the one thing in my life that matters most, even more than my life matters, I’m filled with a sense of pride. The idea that such an incredible woman exists, and that that woman just happens to be my daughter, fills me with an odd optimism for the future.

And now, I’m going to be a grandpa.

Weiss’s POV

Sydney clearly told Vaughn something major judging from the look on their faces, and then when I look over at Jack, he seems lost in thought. What the h*** is going on? I ask myself. I see Sydney smile at Vaughn, and lean in for a kiss before going their separate ways.

“Syd?” I call out, and watch as she walks towards me.

“Yeah, Weiss? What is it?”

“I just wanted to remind you that…” I try to continue, but I can’t.

“About Nadia, right?” she asks, and I nod emphatically.

“Don’t worry. I’ll remember to ask the ambassador.”

“Speaking of that, when are they coming?”

Sydney opens her mouth to speak, but is cut off by Director Chase who has just walked in.

I look over at Ms. Chase, and see a familiar bald headed man standing behind her. She makes the general announcement that Kendall will be attending the landing of the ambassador in about a half an hour.

Vaughn’s POV

I glance down at my watch as Sydney walks back over to me. “Vaughn,” she calls out, and I stop.

“What is it?”

“Seeing your dad, it…it reminded me of a question I was going to ask you.”

“Yeah?”

“Two, actually. First, did he tell you that I was alive? He knew.”

I sigh and shake my head. “I’d left the CIA and the DSR shortly after you ‘died.’ When he found out, I didn’t have a high enough security clearance, so he was forced to withhold that information.”

She nods slowly.

“You said there were two questions?”

“When you were sick from the water from the Mueller device, he was willing to let you die, because when Sark asked me to kill Sloane, he wouldn’t authorize it.”

She brought that up, I think to myself. “Syd, he was working behind the scenes, trying to buy off an employee at that warehouse. You met Sark’s demands before he could get the cure, though.”

“Vaughn?”

She looks at me, a look of disbelief in her eyes. “Yes?”

“Tell me the truth.”

“Syd,” I begin, “After Mom left Dad, we fell apart. We were almost like strangers when we started at the DSR. I was under someone else’s command when I was there, but we tried to develop a relationship. We were just starting to…” I stop talking and swallow hard. “We were just starting to get to know each other when I was given the option to infiltrate the CIA. I took it. I think he kind of took that as a betrayal, and when he became the director at JTF, we weren’t on the greatest of terms. He was working behind the scenes, but he knew he wasn’t going to get anywhere, so he was just hoping that the typical Bristow stubbornness would come through and you’d kill Sloane even though he was required to tell you not to do it.

“He was rooting for you. You just didn’t know it.”

She looks at me. “If I would have succeeded, what would he have done? He would have been legally obligated to report me.”

“He would have written it off as covert DSR work and let you get on with your life.”

She’s clearly considering what I said when Dad comes over at looks at us.

“We need to get going,” he says, nods, and walks away.

Sydney’s POV

We arrive at the meet site a few minutes later. A quiet hum starts sounding and we all look up. A small round object is hovering above us. As it descends lower, darkness covers the ground.

The craft lands effortlessly. I stare in awe at the mechanical marvel before us. A hiss sounds in conjunction with a quick release of steam as the ramp lowers. Another shadow appears. As the inhabitant of the ship starts down the ramp, I see the legs. Moments later, I can see the waist, followed by an upper body, and then finally the head appears. I stare at the person’s face, not paying attention to how everyone is staring at me.

It’s creepy just how similar we look. She’s got my face and my body. It’s almost like she’s my twin. I stand there in shock as she finishes descending the ramp. She takes her first step onto Earth’s soil, and quickly grabs her stomach, before falling to the ground, moaning in pain.

…TBC…

Chapter 12

Parallel Sydney's POV

I never believed in life on other planets. The whole concept of aliens and UFOs and all the other stuff like that just seemed ridiculous to me. (I think that might have had to do with having Dad as my father. He was always stressing the importance of everything having an explanation; of course that's when he was home.)

When I first started working at SD-6, the whole concept that all things have a reasonable explanation went out the window. I saw things that were so crazy that, after a while, a small floating red ball full of water almost seemed normal.

While I've grown accustomed to the strange and unexplainable nature of the world I live in, Kendall's announcement that our world was in danger and that it had been agreed to contact a parallel universe in order to seek refuge was so far out of the realm of the believable-unbelievability that I was sure I was dreaming. His subsequent announcement of his true affiliation with the DSR just added to the weirdness that was my life.

~ ~ ~

"We have a spaceship from the landing at Roswell, and we plan to use this ship to travel to that planet. What I need from you all is a volunteer to take the trip. Do I have any takers?"

~ ~ ~

I had no intention of volunteering, but when Vaughn's hand went up, I knew that he'd want some company on the trip. I was right. Three days later, the ship took off from Earth, and as we sailed through the vast darkness, he chose then to tell me about his history with the DSR.

I was shocked, of course, but as that old saying goes, "Love is never having to say you're sorry."

After all that had happened up to this point, I wasn't going to let a little secret get in the way of such a promising relationship. As time wore on in the complete and utter darkness, we both realized that there was really only one way to pass the time. (If you ever get a chance, getting it on in zero-gravity is so erotic it’s not even funny.)

After about a week and a half on the ship, we were alerted that we were nearing Parallel Earth number 137. I transmitted the distress call and waited for a response which came promptly. When we finally agreed on a landing site and time, we adjusted our speed accordingly.

Three days later, there we were, landing on a parallel version of our planet. I could see my parallel self standing there, waiting for me.

Suddenly, as I stepped of the ramp of the ship, I felt a sharp pain in my stomach. The easiest way to describe it is like someone had thrust a knife into my abdomen and began pulling on something inside me. I passed out before I knew what had happened.

I don’t know how long it was until I woke up in the hospital bed, an IV in my arm, and an ethnic doctor looking over me.

“How are you feeling, ma’am?”

“My stomach hurts,” I mumble, looking up at him.

“I’ve gone over your vitals six times already. There’s nothing abnormal about them.”

“What’d you compare them to?”

“To the Sydney of this universe. Sydney 1 if you wish.”

I pull up my hospital gown so that I can examine my stomach quickly. My eyes quickly land on an odd scar. I know I didn’t have this scar when I left.

“What’s this?”

“That’s where your eggs were extracted.”

“When…Why were my eggs extracted.”

“I don’t know. When I got your…pardon me…Sydney 1’s file, she had reported that her eggs had been extracted.”

“Can I talk to her?”

“Of course,” he says, and leaves. Moments later, I…she walks through the door.

“You wanted to see me?”

“Why were my eggs extracted?”

“You don’t know?”

“No,” I state clearly. “Should I know?”

“It happened during the two years.”

“What two years?”

“After the fight with Allison…”

“Who’s Allison? Is that Vaughn’s ex-girlfriend’s real name?”

“No, her name is Alice.”

“Then who’s Allison?”

“She’s Francie’s double.”

“Double? You mean with Markovich’s machine?”

“Yeah.”

“It’s Francie? She’s the second double?”

“Yeah. What year are you from?”

“We left in 2003. What year is it now?”

“It’s 2007.”

The words sink in.

“You guys are from four years in the future?”

“I guess from your point of view, yeah. From my point of view, however, you’re from four years in the past.”

“What’s going on with Vaughn and you? Are you married?”

“No, we’re just engaged.”

“It’s been four years, and you’re just engaged?” I ask incredulously.

“He was married to Lauren for…”

“He got married to someone?”

“During my missing two years.”

“What do you mean ‘missing two years’?” I ask, but I’m not sure I want to know.

“After my fight with Allison, Francie’s double, I passed out. When I woke up, I was in Hong Kong with a strange scar on my stomach.”

“Where the eggs were extracted.”

“Right. Vaughn came to the safe house where I was staying. He had a ring on his finger. I asked him about it, and he told me that I had been missing…” she starts to tear up. “He told me that I had been missing for two years, and in that time, he’d gotten married.”

“To who?”

“Lauren Reed. She was the daughter of Senator Reed and Olivia Reed.”

“Was?”

“Vaughn killed her.”

“Why?”

“She was evil.”

“Vaughn married an evil woman?”

“She was a double agent for a terrorist organization who had been ordered to seduce and marry him.”

“Will the Vaughn on the ship marry her?”

“Wait, is Vaughn’s parallel version here too?”

“Yeah, he’s here.”

“Why didn’t he come out?”

Before I can answer, the doctor comes in again. “Just ignore me. I need to check on the baby.”

“Baby? I’m not pregnant!”

“Well, you are now.”

I look over at my parallel self. “Are you?”

She nods slowly.

“Oh, s***,” I say quietly. This isn’t good.

“What is it?”

“Sydney,” I start, “I need you to do me a favor.”

…TBC…

Chapter 13

Parallel Vaughn’s POV

I watched in utter horror as Sydney, the girl of my dreams, collapsed and withered on the ground outside of the ship. Dad had warned me that we were dealing with the great unknown contacting a parallel planet, and that he couldn’t give me an adequate idea of what to expect upon arrival.

Of course I dismissed these theories. They were obviously desperate attempts to scare me into staying. Little did I know that he was right. We are dealing with the unknown.

I yearn to leave the ship. I long to run to Sydney’s side and comfort her; however, I know that the odds are great that if I leave this ship, I’ll suffer the same consequences as her.

We’ve only been a couple for about three weeks now, but considering just how far our relationship has come in the year and a half since we met, I know that I want to spend the rest of my life with her. I had considered proposing on this trip, but even I knew that it was too soon. (That didn’t stop me from buying the ring, however.)

I listen for the sound of the traffic, a mainstay in all of Los Angeles, but only silence greets my ears.

I know I shouldn’t, but I poke my head out into the air. I feel fine. I take a step forward. I still feel fine. Two more steps. Nothing. I look down. My feet are at the edge of the ramp. I look up.

The h*** with it, I say to myself.

I take my first step onto this Earth’s soil. A stabbing pain hits me in my lower abdomen and my back, and I can feel several other sore spots on me. Grabbing firmly on both sides of my dress up shirt, I rip it open and stare down at the scar that has just formed on my stomach. I taste a disgusting creamy semi-solid liquid on my tongue.

It makes me gag. I put my hand up to my mouth as I cough violently. My head is throbbing. The last things I see before I lose consciousness is blood on my hand, and the rocky pavement coming closer.

Vaughn 1’s POV

Sitting in the waiting room is never pleasant. There’s an old lady reading the most recent Time Magazine.

I feel a liquid run from my forehead, to my nose, and as it passes by my eye, I can detect a red coloration to it. I put my hand to my head, and when I pull my hand away, it’s covered in blood. I feel lightheaded, and as my body lurches forward, I manage to mumble, “Get help! Please.” I can only hope she heard me.

…TBC…

Chapter 14

Kendall’s POV

I’ve been sitting outside of this room for over three hours now. I don’t like to wait, but since I’m not family, they’ve been keeping me out of the room with the ambassador the whole time she’s been here.

Sydney went in just a few minutes ago.

The door opens and I look up. She’s standing in the doorway; her hand bandaged slightly.

“What happened?” I ask.

“We’ve got a problem.”

“What is it?”

“I don’t know how to explain it, but she…” Sydney says, gesturing with her head toward the room, “she’s getting my injuries. She’s from about four and a half years in the past, but yet, her eggs have been extracted and she’s pregnant, neither of which has happened to me until now.”

The words start to sink in. “Is that why you…” I trail off and nod toward her hand.

“We had to test our theory to make sure it was accurate.”

Suddenly, another realization hits me. “You said she was pregnant? You’re indicating she got that from you, right?”

“Yeah,” she says, and my eyes go wide. “You’re going to be a grandpa.”

“Male? Female? Hermaphrodite?” I don’t know why I said that last part, but it causes Sydney to smirk ever so slightly, and I look at her expectantly.

“I…I don’t know.”

“It is Vaughn’s right?”

She nods somberly, and looks at me. An unnatural silence hangs in the air. We’ve said all we really need to say, but yet it feels like there’s still stuff left to be said.

“I’m going to go call Jessica. I dislike her, but she deserves to know.”

Sydney smiles again, and I turn and walk away.

As I’m walking down the hall, several doctors rush by me, and in the short amount of time that my eyes rested on the patient, I recognized him immediately. “Michael,” I mutter quietly.

I want to follow them; I want to know what’s wrong with them, but Sydney’s remarks about how parallel versions seem to share ailments echoes in my mind, and the next thing I know, I find myself running down the steps to my car.

I arrive at the landing site a few minutes later. I can clearly make out a body lying on the ground, a small puddle of blood forming around his head. Running over, I turn the limp body over.

He has a pulse, and his breaths are ragged, but steady. I work hard to maneuver Vaughn to a position that will allow me to move him better.

When I finally get him into my car, I spray gravel as I speed out of the parking lot.

On my way back to the hospital, I hear an announcement on the radio that the “accident” from this morning has been cleaned up, and that travel can be resumed.

I know that I should quickly flip a U-turn and head back to the ship to conceal evidence of it, but I continue on the path to the hospital. I need to save him.

The doctors take over when I finally arrive at the hospital, and once again I can relax. I remember that I’m supposed to call Jessica, but as I head for a payphone, I see the spaceship on the TV.

I can’t hear the newswoman, but I already know it’s too late. We’ve been exposed.

One word comes to mind as this realization sinks in. “S***!”

…TBC…

Chapter 15

Weiss’s POV

I’ve been waiting in the hospital for several hours now. I want to go home and get some rest (I really don’t enjoy getting up at 2:00 am), but I wait in the lobby for any news to be announced. The TV is on, but muted, and I’m not paying much attention to it; I’m much more intrigued by this story I’m reading in Reader’s Digest. I hear my name spoken and I look up to see Sydney standing before me, her hand bandaged.

“What happened?”

“There may be a way to cure Nad…”

I look up at her to see why she stopped talking, and that’s when I see the spaceship on the TV.

“Not good,” she mutters quietly. She shakes her head slowly. “What do we do?”

I shrug, and then sigh nervously. “There’s really nothing we can do.”

“We’ve been exposed,” suddenly I hear Kendall say, and I look over at him. “We’re going to let the media put whatever sort of spin they want to on this. I talked to…” he trails off as he looks at Sydney. “I talked to the other you,” he says, emanating a weird feeling of uncertainty, a trait I have never seen in Kendall before. “She told me that the ship is from Area 51. I contacted a co-worker who has been working on controlling the spaceship we have there by computers. She said that she could probably hack into this spaceship and fly it over to Area 51. It’s a risky procedure, but I gave her the go ahead.”

Minutes later, the reporter was gesturing emphatically as the ramp on the ship closed, and it slowly rose into the air, and then streaked through the sky with an unbelievable speed.

“That’s that,” Kendall said, and walked away.

I look over at Sydney, who’s slowly shaking her head.

“What is it?” I ask, concerned.

She shakes her head again. “I love Vaughn. I love him more than anything. I’m just a little apprehensive about having Kendall be my father-in-law.”

“I understand.” I glance over at her, and speak again. “Not to change the topic, but didn’t you say something about possibly being able to save Nadia?”

She nods, and smiles. (Considering all Sydney has been through in the past four years, it’s nice to see her smile on occasion.)

“It’s just a theory right now, but…” she trails off, and then asks if she’s explained how Sydney (the other Sydney, that is) got her injuries. I tell her that she hasn’t and she proceeds to explain what happened to Other Sydney (Syd2 if you will).

When she finishes, I look up at her completely confused. “How does that help us?”

“I’ve been thinking about it. Perhaps my parallel version got my injuries because I have a stronger…” she pauses, searching for the right word, “life-wave…” she says, and pauses again. “Perhaps I have a stronger life-wave than she does because I’m a native of this specific universe. Perhaps if I were to go to their planet, they’d have a stronger life-wave. If that’s the case, if they take Nadia back with them when they head back for their planet, perhaps she’ll get cured. Perhaps Nadia’s parallel version will be able to cure this universe’s Nadia. It’s a long shot, but who knows? It may work.”

I start to feel a sense of hope, but it soon fades. “What if it doesn’t work? What if we just contaminate Parallel Nadia? Then we’d have two Nadias, neither able to cure the other.”

“The way I see it is that if we try and it works, we get Nadia back. If we try and fail, we won’t have gained anything, but we won’t have lost anything. If this Nadia stays contaminated, and the other Nadia doesn’t get contaminated, then she’ll be contaminated upon arrival on this planet. If that Nadia gets contaminated, and they leave her there on that planet, Parallel Nadia will die, but this Nadia won’t. It’s going to be risky no matter what, so why not hope for the best?”

I think about what she just said.

“I wanted to ask your opinion before authorizing it. What do you think? Do you want to try it?”

I look at Sydney and smile. I reach up to my neck and grab a hold of the necklace I’m wearing. Taking it off, I hand it to her.

She slowly turns the ring at the end of the chain in her hand.

“It’s my grandma’s,” I explain quietly. Vaughn told me that he was planning on proposing, and I told him about how I had been considering it myself. He told me that, if you would both agree to it, we could have a double wedding. I was going to pop the question when you all got back from Savogda, but…” I trail off. “Do anything you can to save her.”

She smiles and nods. “I was hoping you’d say that.” She hands me the ring and walks away.

For the first time since I found out about what had happened to Nadia, I genuinely smile.

…TBC…

Chapter 16

Sydney2’s POV

Pain is a funny thing. When I landed on this planet, I keeled over from the stabbing pain in my abdomen, and now I feel fine. (The drugs they gave me probably helped a little, though.) The doctors warns me to take it easy as I gather everything together.

The three hours that I've been in her went by quickly. Part of that was probably my conversation with...myself...I guess that’s the only way to phrase it quickly. She graciously agreed to let me stay at her place.

I’m actually quite excited to see her new apartment. She didn’t go into much detail about why she moved, but I have a feeling it has something to do with those two years she’s so quiet about.

The CNA’s transfer me to a wheel chair and wheel me down to the lobby, where everyone turns and stares at me. I wave slightly. “Are you ready to go?” I…she…parallel me asks.

I nod slowly. “Yeah.”

Parallel Sydney (or perhaps Original Sydney) helps me out of the chair, and as I gain my footing, I follow her as she walks out to her car.

The drive home is amazing, but not in a good way. Countless people are lining the street holding up hastily made signs, some reading, “Go Back Home,” “We Don’t Need You Here!” “You Are NOT Welcome Here!!” “Leave NOW,” and, the most simple and to the point, “DIE!”

In stark contrast, other people were holding up such signs as, “Welcome,” “Make Yourselves At Home,” “I Hope You Have A Cure for Cancer,” and “Abduct ME!” The third group of signs really weren’t able to be classified. “Do You Want Your Anal Probe Back?” “Please Bring Back Elvis,” and “Mulder was right: We Are NOT Alone!”

I shake my head in disgust. “What is it?” I…Sydney 1 asks.

“They don’t even know what they’re dealing with and they’ve already taken sides.” I see another sign that says, “DIE!” and I instruct Sydney 1 to stop the car.

“What are you going to do?” concern quite evident in her voice.

“Just stop the d*** car.”

“Syd…”

“Stop the car.” I feel the car slow, and I open the door and head back towards that man. He’s shouting profanities and spewing felgercarb about how this is the end of civilization.

“Send those scum suckers back to where they came from!” I can feel some stomach acid rise to my mouth, giving me that disgusting just-vommitted taste.

“Am I to take it that you don’t want them here?” I ask bluntly. He gives me a once-over and nods in approval.

“Well, if they looked like you, I’d have to re-evaluate my position.”

“Well, start re-evaluating, you a**hole.”

His eyes narrow. “You’re one of them?”

“I guess you’re not as slow as you seem.”

He stares at me for a bit, and then turns his head and says loudly, “She’s one of them!”

Slowly the other men begin to surround me.

“I think a nice welcoming is in order,” one of the thugs says, and then throws a punch.

(I’m starting to see now how in all those sci-fi movies I used to see with Charlie why humans were always under the control of robots. If the first contact with an alternate life form is to start a fight, and with a basic punch that I learned early on how to deflect, then obviously the human race is doomed to a future of violence, destruction, and death.)

I use a simple evasive maneuver that I was taught at SD-6 to block his attack and to pin his arm in a very uncomfortable position behind his back. I’m usually not very violent; I don’t believe in using more force than is necessary, but after all I’ve been through, something in me clicks, and I force the arm back until I hear a sickening, yet satisfying “Pop.”

The man falls to the ground moaning in pain, and I look around at all the other men waiting for a shot at me and think quietly to myself, “This is going to be fun.”

They begin closing in.

A gunshot rings out.

My eyes go wide as the man in front of me drops to the ground.

…TBC…

Chapter 17

Irina’s POV

It’s been a long, long year. I remember talking with him online.

~ ~ ~

“IRINA. HAVE INTEL ON COVENANT ENDGAME. NEED TO DISCUSS.” My eyes danced quickly over the entry on my screen, and I typed out a simple response.

“What do you need?”

“I NEED INFORMATION ABOUT THE PASSENGER,” he had typed back. (One disadvantage of posing as an English teacher for as long as I did is that the fact that he omitted a period irks me.)

I had managed to get “How did you fi…” typed when I heard movement behind me. I had turned just in time to see Elena jab a needle into my neck.

When I woke up next, I was in that d*** hole in the ground.

~ ~ ~

I hear a siren in the background and quickly head over to my bag. I didn’t have much in the way of clothes when I left Savogda, but since so many people had died there, finding an ample supply of cash, clothing, and certain weapons was relatively simple.

While I know that it’s not proper etiquette to steal from dead people, I rationalize it by reminding myself that this stuff is not going to get used anyway.

The siren is getting closer, and I cautiously peer through the window curtains. The cop car stops in front of the Wal-Mart across the street. Quickly opening my bag, I pull out the binoculars.

As I survey the front of the store, it’s clear that there’s a mass panic. People are looting, and I see the cop run out and un-holster his gun.

The man with the grocery cart stops running and puts his hands behind his head. Suddenly I see another man sneak up behind the cop with a wooden board and swings it at the officers head. My eyes widen as the cop crumples to the ground at the impact.

I quickly turn on the TV, where I see a reporter standing in the middle of utter chaos. I’m listening as hard as I can to figure out what’s going on.

Only one thought comes to mind as the report continues. I need to contact Jack.

…TBC…

Chapter 18

Vaughn 1’s POV

“Take it easy,” the nurse warns me.

“Trust me,” I say looking her in the eye, “I’ve been through worse.”

“Perhaps, but still, with the aliens and everything, who knows what’s going to happen next.”

“Aliens?” I ask, more concerned about the security of our mission than getting the facts.

“It’s on the news. Some people discovered a spaceship, but there was no one in it. Clearly they’re on the loose.”

“How do we even know the ship was even inhabited?”

“Well, if it wasn’t inhabited, then how did it get here?”

I consider this question for a while. I can’t let her know that I know more than I’m letting on. “Auto-pilot?”

“I highly doubt it.”

“Well, whatever, it doesn’t matter. No one’s died yet, have they?”

“No one’s died because of the aliens.”

I look back at her. “What do you mean?”

“People are going postal. We’ve already had 16 gunshot wounds, 59 stabbings, 47 car crashes, and out of those, twelve people have died. It’s a madhouse out there.”

I shake my head in disbelief. I hear a familiar voice from the hallway. Sydney’s back.

Sydney 2’s POV

“What happened,” a nurse asks me as I carry the limp body into the emergency room.

“We had a small misunderstanding. He was about to hit me, when I heard a gunshot, and he fell to the ground,” I tell her truthfully.

“Who shot him?”

I shrug my shoulders. “I don’t know. It came out of nowhere.”

“We’ve been seeing a lot of this, today.”

“Is he going to be alright?” I ask her. I really don’t care, but no one deserves to die like this.

“I’m not a doctor,” she starts, and I figure the news is going to be bad; “It doesn’t appear that the bullet has pierced anything vital.”

“So it’s possible he’ll be fine?”

“Yeah,” she says and I let out a happy sigh.

They transfer him to a gurney, and I walk along as they wheel him down the hallway. They keep asking me questions, and I answer to the best of my knowledge.

We’re getting close to the OR when I hear a familiar voice behind me. “Syd?”

I turn and see Vaughn standing in the doorway. “Hey,” I mumble breathlessly.

“You alright?” he asks and I smile.

“I’m fine.”

“Come here,” he says. I walk towards him, and we join in a long kiss.

“Vaughn!” I hear someone yell out. I turn and see myself (Sydney 1) standing a few feet away. As soon as she sees my face, she relaxes.

“Wait,” Vaughn says, backing away. Looking at me, he demands, “Which Sydney are you?”

“What do you mean?”

“Are you the native to this planet?”

“No.” His eyes go wide.

“Oh, s***,” he mumbles quietly. “Sorry baby,” he says this time directing it at the other me.

“Well,” she says with a sly grin, “If you’re going to cheat, I’d rather it be with me.”

We all laugh.

“Wait a moment, though,” I say suddenly. “Where’s my Vaughn?”

Yet another voice joins the group. “Look behind you,” Vaughn (the other one) says.

I turn around with a smile and a kiss for him.

“Let’s get out of here,” Sydney (not me) says.

Jack’s POV

“You got everything?” I ask Irina as she tosses her bag in my car and gets in the front seat.

“Yes.”

“Good,” I say, grinning like only Irina can make me do. “Let’s get out of here.”

…TBC…

Chapter 19

Jack’s POV

The traffic on the way to my apartment is unbelievable. A trip that would normally take me all of 23 or 24 minutes ended up taking me three hours. All the carnage that we drove by served only to remind us of the carnage we saw in Savogda.

One happy byproduct of the long wait was that I actually got to know Irina better than I’d known her before. Sure, we talked when we were working together to find and rescue Sydney, but we didn’t discuss personal stuff (namely because she knew everything from our marriage).

I never would have guessed in my wildest dream that she and Yakatarina had fought over the same man in school, but what really blew my mind was that Katya had been the one who had ended up winning.

We discussed our parents. I delved deeper into my issues of mistrust in them, far deeper than I ever cared to go while we were married, and Irina told me about how Elena had been her mom’s favourite, which caused her to be able to get away with anything. As a result, Elena ended up…well, I already knew the ending to that story, but what I didn’t know is that Elena ultimately killed her own mother. And therein began the rift between the three Derevko sisters.

I had sighed as the Hummer in front of us inched forward.

“Tell me about your first boyfriend,” I say, inquisitively.

“I’m sitting next to him,” she had responded in a heartbeat.

“Funny,” I say, my voice void of emotion.

“I’m serious. Unlike Elena, I got the other side of Mom’s parenting skills. She was demanding, controlling, and overbearing. I was forbidden to date until I graduated. After that I joined the KGB. There was a brief fling with Cuvee, but nothing that would be characterized as ‘boyfriend-girlfriend’ by American Standards. Some time after I joined, I was ordered to move to America, find you, seduce you, and marry you.

“What about your prior girlfriends?”

“Well,” I say, thinking back, “Cynthia was my high-school crush. You know all the clichés, head of the cheerleading squad, prom queen, voted most likely to succeed, all that stuff. It was about a three week fling, namely after I was voted Homecoming King. I took her out and later that night, her virginity as well as mine.

“Just a week later, I saw her kissing Judson ‘Fartface’ Farnts, and that fling was over.

“Jennifer was next. She was pretty, but the stereotypical blonde. Eventually I just couldn’t stand being with someone who was so unbelievably moronic.

“After that was Alicia. She had brains and looks. Unfortunately, she was also four years older than me. She got a job in Paris, and took it, leaving me here in LA. Two months later, I met a young, attractive woman on campus named Laura studying to be a English major.”

Irina smiles. When I notice the small, but noticeable upward curve of her mouth, I give a rare smirk, the closest thing to a smile I’m willing to sacrifice.

“Have you had anyone since I escaped CIA custody?”

I lower my head. “Yeah,” I say quick and sharp.

“Oh, do tell.”

My eyes dart back and forth, trying to find the right words. “Irina, I love you…” I start to say.

“Okay, who the h*** was it?”

“It was Katya.”

Needless to say the rest of the ride was silent, minus the sound of flesh slapping flesh seconds after my confession.

As I lead Irina up to my apartment, I can hear the chaos that is abounding down on the street.

“Do you feel like something to drink?” I ask her, hoping to get some sort of reaction.

“I’ll take a scotch,” she says with a sigh and sits down in the brown couch. I see Laura saunter out of my bedroom, to see what the commotion was. She walks over to where Irina sits, and gently rubs against her leg.

Irina smiles again, and pats the couch, causing Laura to jump up next to her. “What’s her name?”

I glance over at them. “Laura,” I say simply, and go back to pouring Irina’s drink.

“Hey, Laura, has Jack here been taking care of you?”

Laura sniffed at Irina’s hand and begins licking it. “She’s a nice cat.”

“She’s also a good judge of character. She usually doesn’t come out when I have company. Apparently she likes you.”

“You have company over? Give me a break.”

“Every Thursday night at 8:00, Dixon, Sloane, and Marshall come over. We have a poker night. But...” I pause, "We haven't had a poker night since Savogda. I know I could spend the night with Marshall, but I don't think I could stand that."

“What about Vaughn? Does he ever come?”

“Vaughn doesn’t know about it.”

“Why not?”

“I don’t know. I just never invited him.” I take her the scotch. She raises her glass.

“To Sydney; may her marriage be far less complicated than ours.”

I raise my glass also. “To Sydney,” I mumble quietly.

We both drink the glasses dry, and this time, Irina gets up to fill the glasses, but stops when she sees a picture of Sloane, Emily, me, and her at that old restaurant we always used to go to.

“I still can’t believe you had no idea about Sloane and I,” she mumbles quietly.

“There may have been clues,” I begin, “but if there were, I’m sure I chose to ignore them. I was in love.”

“Was?” she says looking at me.

“Was,” I assert. “I was in love with Laura Bristow. I’m now in love with you.”

She smiles another one of her mysterious smiles, but this one I know. I remember seeing it on our wedding night. She heads for my bedroom and I follow obediently.

Three hours later I hear a knocking at my door. Quickly pulling on my boxer-briefs and a button-down shirt, I head for the door. Irina comes out after me.

I look through the peephole, and my eyes go wide. Turning to Irina, I quickly mouth “Hide!”

“Why?” She mouths back.

“Who is it?” I call out, allowing Irina to hear for herself.

“It’s Director Chase,” comes the reply.

“Oh, s***,” Irina mouths.

…TBC…

Chapter 20

Irina’s POV

Jack’s eyes dart around the room.

“What do I do?” I mouth. “Are there any hidden rooms in here?”

He shakes his head frantically.

“Can you access the fire escape from your window?”

He nods, but mouths, “But if the window is opened, it sets off the fire alarm.”

“Where can I hide?”

His eyes stop on the bathroom. “In there.”

We both hurry over to door, and I walk in. I don’t see a noticeable area to hide. He throws open the door to the towel cupboard. Quickly grabbing the clean towels, he tosses them into the hamper and removes the small wooden shelves, hiding them under the sink.

I step in. The space is crowded, and then darkness surrounds me when he shuts the door.

I stay in this dark, cramped space, listening to Chase talking to Jack. Suddenly I hear footsteps headed for the bathroom.

I hadn’t heard the front door being opened or closed, so I figure that Chase is still around.

The door to the bathroom opens, and I hear the sound of high heel shoes on the tile floor. There’s a sigh, and then the sound of urination. The toilet handle jingles, but nothing happens. “They shut off the water,” she says softly, presumably to herself.

Footsteps sound again. The door opens and closes, and I let out a sigh of relief.

Now that Chase has been in the restroom, I reason that it’s safe for me to come out of hiding.

Chase is clearly wrapping up what she came to tell Jack, and as I watch, she places her hand on the doorknob, clearly ready to leave. “Oh, and Jack?” she says with a smile and he turns to look at her.

“Tell Irina, ‘Hello,’ the next time you see her, okay?”

Jack swallows hard. “Will do, Director Chase.”

The smile disappears and Chase walks out of the room.

Jack closes the door and looks through the peephole, and, a moment later, gives a curt nod. I step out.

“She knows I’m here?”

“It appears that way,” Jack responds.

“Perhaps I should stay with Sydney.”

“No, she’d think to look there…” Jack trails off.

“Then where do I go?”

Jack sighs. “Sloane’s place is only a few miles away from here. It’s not being used. I’ll draw you a map.”

“Thanks.” I walk over to him and give him a kiss.

The map is drawn minutes later. I quickly gather up my stuff and head out.

Sydney1’s POV

It’s been a long, long day. From waking up at two o’clock, to telling Vaughn I was pregnant, to receiving the ambassador from the parallel planet, to having their presence exposed, to having my parallel version get cornered by psychotic protestors, leaving me to protect both her and me. I hated having to shoot that man, but if the other me had been injured, the injuries would have transferred to me. I just couldn’t let that happen.

I’m going to have to fill up my magazine, I think to myself as Vaughn and I head for the front door, our parallel versions walking behind us.

The moment I feel how loose the front doorknob is, I know that something is wrong. I KNOW I locked the door this morning when I left. I put my hand on my gun, turn the knob, and quickly enter the apartment, pulling my gun moments later.

As I look around at the mess that greets my eyes, I put the gun away. Clearly we’ve just been robbed. This has nothing to do with our association with APO.

The TV is gone, no surprise there. The apartment is a mess. The fridge is gone. Clearly this was a multiple person job.

“If we were hit, Weiss probably was too,” Vaughn says quietly.

“Go check,” I say, casting a quick glance at him.

I head for our bedroom. My laptop is gone. I check the top dresser drawer. My knifes are gone also.

I head for the closet. My clothes are still there, although they are strewn about. My eyes see the corner of the “toy box” under the clothes, and I pick it up.

Vaughn’s old Playboys are gone, but my Playgirls are still there, so clearly it was at least two men that robbed us.

I collapse onto the stripped bed on the verge of tears. Vaughn comes in moments later. “Has this happened to you before?”

“Only when the house Francie and I shared burned down,” I mumble softly.

“Why’d it burn down?” Vaughn (clearly not my Vaughn) asks.

“It’s not important,” I say, the first tear rolling down my cheek.

Vaughn (My Vaughn) comes in moments later. “Weiss got…hit…bad,” Vaughn says, the words coming out slowly as he sees the mess.

“So did we,” I say quietly. “So did we.”

It's been a VERY long day.

…TBC…

Chapter 21

Sydney 1’s POV

I want to cry.

After all that’s happened today, I feel as if I can’t go on. My Vaughn sits down on the bed next to me, and begins massaging my shoulders.

“You’re tense.”

“I wonder why?” I say sarcastically.

“Syd…” Vaughn starts to say, but he stops. “Listen, Syd, just relax. I’ll call the police; I’ll take care of this.”

“Relax! Relax? Vaughn, we’ve just been robbed! How the h*** am I supposed to relax?”

“You don’t need to yell,” he says quietly.

“Vaughn,” I say, much more controlled this time, “I had stuff on that laptop; important stuff.”

“I know. You used it for work, but it’s secure. Marshall wrote the program himself.”

“That’s not the only thing on it,” I say quietly, my head lowered.

“What else?”

I don’t answer. His eyes narrow into little slits. “The video?”

I shrug. “Among other things.”

“Like what?” he nearly screams.

“You don’t need to yell.”

“What else?” he says slowly, enunciating each word.

“My book,” an embarrassed smile creeping across my face.

“What book?” he asks, his right eyebrow arched.

“You’ll laugh?”

“No, I won’t,” he responds with a smile.

“Well, I’ve always thought that how we met was…” I trail off.

“You’re writing a romance novel?” he asks, doing a poor job at suppressing a smile.

“Vaughn, if you laugh, I swear…”

He bites his lower lip hard. Tears start to come to his eyes. Two short chuckles escape, and I lunge at him.

What started as an innocent playfulness, soon started to grow into a more intimate encounter, cut short by the sound of someone clearing his or her throat. I look at who is there, and I see both myself, pardon me, my parallel and parallel Vaughn standing in the doorway, staring at us.

“You were just robbed,” my parallel says, disgusted. I almost feel as if my conscience has separated from my body and I’m about to receive one h*** of a guilt trip. “I just don’t get it!”

I smooth down my shirt, clear my throat, and stand up. “It was an impulse thing.”

“Right,” she says, drawing out the word, and turns to leave. Vaughn 2 follows seconds later.

“Um, we need to find my laptop.” Clearing my throat, I try to regain my composure.

“How are we going to do that?”

“I don’t know. We should start by dusting for prints.”

“What is this, CSI? I don’t have fingerprint powder here.”

“Okay, more specifically, we should start by having our room dusted for prints.”

“I’ll call Chase.”

I nod. Now that I finally have a chance to look around, I realize just how trashed this apartment really is. I want to clean it up, but it’s a crime scene now.

We wait an hour and a half for the forensics team to arrive. “Do you have a place to stay?” Chase looks at all of us.

“I’m sure Dad will let us stay with him,” Vaughn says.

“What about you two?” Chase turns to our parallels.

“Do you think Jack will let us stay with him?”

I nod, but Chase smiles and shakes her head. “I’m afraid your father has company.”

“Really?” I question. “Who?”

“Your mother, Sydney.”

“Did she get pardoned?” My parallel asks.

“No,” I answer. “She escaped and has been at large for a long time.”

“When did she escape?”

“You know about Markovic, right?”

“Yeah.”

“Did you make Vaughn a meal that you planned to reheat later?”

“What?”

I look over at Chase. I start to blush; I can’t believe I’m asking this. “Have you consummated your relationship yet?”

“Yeah,” Parallel me says slowly. “On the ship, on the way over here. There was nothing else to do.”

“Oh, geez,” Chase moans and walks away.

“Hey, Director Chase, at least we’re not asking about you and Dixon,” Vaughn calls out.

“Wait!” Parallel Vaughn says to Native Vaughn, “Isn’t Dixon married?” He turns to me. “Isn’t Dixon married?”

I sigh. There’s no easy way to say this. “He was.”

Silence.

“Was?” My parallel chokes out. “Please tell me they divorced, not that Diane…”

My expression clearly gives her the answer.

“How? How did it happen?”

“Sloane was angry at Dixon for killing Emily, so…”

“Emily? She’s de…” My parallel stops. “She’s not?”

I shake my head, but then shrug. “She is now.”

“Why did Dixon kill her?”

“It was a mistake,” Chase says, re-entering the conversation. “He was aiming for Sloane. A helicopter flew over, and…he missed.”

“So Sloane killed Diane?”

“No,” I mumble, “He ordered Allison to do it.”

“Allison?” Vaughn 2 asks.

“The second double. It’s Francie, or, well it’s Allison now. It’s a long story.”

“We’ve got time,” Vaughn 2 says.

I sigh, and start from the time that our parallels are from.

~ ~ ~

The fingerprint dusting goes well into the night, and eventually Vaughn takes me to a Kendall's house for the rest of the night, where we pick up where we left off.

Chase’s POV

“Ma’am?” one of the crime scene investigators says to me.

“Yes?”

“We’ve got a hit on one of the prints.” He hands me a printout. My eyes nearly pop out of my head when I see the name on the paper.

“Thank you.”

“No problem.”

I pull out my phone. Earlier today, every time I tried to use it, I got a recording saying that there was too many people using their phones. Clearly that’s no longer the case, seeing as I hear five rings, and then the voice on the other end says, “This is Marshall.”

…TBC…

Chapter 22

Marshall’s POV

D*** you, Director Chase I want to scream when my phone rings her specific ring tone.

“This is Marshall,” I mumble, scooting up in bed and looking at the clock. 1:47 am. “Do you know what time it is?”

“I know it’s early.”

“Early is an understatement. This better be good.”

“Sydney and Vaughn were robbed.” My eyes fly open.

“Are they all right? Was anything taken?”

“They’re fine. They were robbed, of course things were taken.”

“If you’re wondering about their laptop, I wrote a killer security program. It’d take a genius to crack it.”

“That’s not why I’m calling,” she says simply.

“Then why?”

“Do you know a…” she trails off, and then, moments later, comes back again. “Do you know a James Flinkman?”

“Yeah. That’s my nephew.”

“Would you mind telling me why his prints were at Sydney’s apartment?”

The news shocks me to my core.

“It was?”

“Yeah.”

I sigh.

“Who is it?” Carrie says, rolling over and looking at me.

“Whitney Holt. I swear she’s an insomniac.”

“Whitney Holt? You’ve never mentioned her before.”

“I haven’t…well…she’s new. She just…um…transferred…from…” I think hard, “Michigan.”

“You know, Marshall, you aren’t a good liar. Tell your superior, ‘Hi.’” She rolls back over and pulls the second pillow over her head.

Almost as if he could sense it, Mitchell picks that time to start crying.

“I’ll get him.” Carrie mumbles through the pillow, and gets up to take care of him.

“What do you think it means?” I ask once Carrie’s out of earshot.

“Well, I’m no genius, but I think it means that he was there.”

I take a deep breath. “I know James. He’s a good kid. He’d never do this.”

“Regardless. We need you to bring him in.”

“I…” I start to stammer. “I…I can’t do that.”

“Would you rather he get picked up by Federal Agents and formally charged with breaking and entering and grand theft?”

“No…I…He’ll…We’ll be there tomorrow afternoon.”

“Good.” With that, the phone call ends.

Carrie enters a few moments later. “You all right?”

I shake my head slowly and sigh. “No. No, I’m not.”

“I’m sorry.”

I nod, and lay back down, but sleep doesn’t come.

~ ~ ~

I am so tired.

Carrie is feeding Mitchell through the sippy cups. She looks over at me. “Don’t you want your eggs?

~ ~ ~

Approach the second one gently, like a soft-boiled egg.

~ ~ ~

“No. Not really.” I push the plate away.

“You haven’t eaten eggs since…” she trails off, “since Mitchell had the ear infection.”

“Last night you mentioned…” I pause to consider how to word this, “You mentioned that you, kind of, you know, knew about my job.”

“That you really still work for the government?”

“Exactly.” I sigh. “That week that Mitchell had the ear infection, I had to go on a mission. I needed to get access to a guy’s server. It was biometrically secured, however, and the man…he…well he bit the dust.”

“What happened?”

“I shot him with my cell phone.” I say simply.

“WHAT!” she screamed.

“It was a gun that was designed to look like a cell phone.”

“Why’d you kill him if you…no, honey, don’t put that in your mouth.”

“It wasn’t intentional.” I take a deep breath and continue. “We needed to access the server, but, like I said, it was protected by a retinal scan. Since we couldn’t get him down there, I had to…” I stop and pick up the knife. “I had to cut his eye out.”

Carrie stops cleaning Mitchell up and looks at me.

“I used his letter opener. I stuck it in the eye socket, under the eye, but…mistake…I…it oozed…totally disgusting.” I shudder, thinking back to that time. “Jack came on comms, and he told me I’d ruptured the macula. That…that the eye was useless.”

Carrie’s face is a mixture of horror, disgust, and an odd, perverse fascination. I had to use a digging instrument,” I begin saying, and I pick up my spoon. “I found a spork, and I…” gesturing in midair, I slide the spoon under the imaginary eyeball that my spoon was holding up. Taking the knife, I begin rubbing it against the back end of the spoon, and then I look over at Carrie. “I cut the optic nerve.

“I took the spork, eyeball and everything, and put it in a glasses case.”

Carrie runs out of the room, holding onto her mouth, and from the other room, I hear horrible retching sounds.

I look at the plate sitting in front of me, and begin mashing the soft-boiled eggs.

~ ~ ~

The morning flies by. Fortunately, ever since yesterday, the rioting and looting has decreased significantly, but it’s still there. The news is full of stories about stores that were cleaned out over the night, houses that were burned to the ground because the fire trucks got caught in traffic, and 16 people that took their lives in order to “Meet up with the ship of greatest enlightenment.”

When 11:27 comes, I get in my car and head over to KFC. James had suggested eating there, and I went along with it. His Trans Am pulls up about three minutes after I arrived.

“Hey, uncle Marshall. You ready to chow down?”

I look at him, leaning on his car. “When’d you get the TA?”

“Oh, this belongs to a friend of mine. He’s letting me borrow it.”

I nod slowly. “Well come on, let’s go eat.”

We place our order quickly. The place is pretty much deserted. As we head over to pick up our silverware, I pull out a plastic covered spork. For a moment, I can almost see the eye resting in the curve of the black plastic. The ooze, which I later found out was the vitreous humor, starts to seep over the side, and splatters on the floor, but suddenly I notice James looking at me funny. “Uncle Marshall, it’s just a spork. It’s kind of like a half-spoon, half-fork thing.”

“Oh,” I say, quickly say, laying it on my tray, “I know what a spork is. Jack doesn’t, but I…” I chuckle quietly. “I know what a spork is.”

“You were looking at it pretty intense.”

“Memories…” I trail off. “Memories from college. I had to dissect an eye, and since it wouldn’t stay still, I had to use a spork to transfer it.” I stammer my way through, and I look at James to see if he bought it.

“That must have been weird.”

I nod slightly. “Yeah.”

James and I talk over lunch. I keep trying to get him to say something about yesterday, but he’s pretty quiet.

As we walk into the parking lot, I turn to him. “Hey, James, there’s something I want to show you. I’ll bring you back to get your car.”

“Okay,” he says and shrugs, and heads for my Mini Cooper.

Eight minutes later, I pull up in the parking garage closest to the subway entrance. Picking up my phone, I dial Chase. “He’s here.”

James looks at me. “What?”

“I’m so sorry,” I say quietly, as the men surround the car, their guns drawn.

“James Flinkman, you are under arrest. Anything you say, can and will be used against you in a court of law,” one of the guards says. James looks at me, the betrayal burning in his eyes.

“I’m so sorry,” I repeat quietly.

…TBC…

Chapter 23

Weiss’s POV

I hang up the phone. Vaughn just told me what happened at my apartment. From what I hear over the phone, the scene is grim. Vaughn tells me that he’s going to go see Sydney, and the call ends.

I know he was fortunate to get through. So many people are using the phone today that service is typically down. I also know that I should get home and try to see what all is missing. I know all this, but still, I can’t leave her.

The veins on Nadia’s forehead are even more noticeable today then they have been for the past few days. Her hand, which is between both of mine, is cold and dry. I squirt some more lotion onto my hands and continue working it in.

Suddenly, I feel a twitch. There’s another one. Part of me wants to let her wake up, to let her free, so she’s not constantly restrained. Yes, I want this, but I know the way it has been is better. I place her hand back in the bed with her and call for a nurse.

I don’t have to wait long. With all the panic from the “alien” landing, the nurses are constantly dashing by. One stops when I call, and listens to the situation.

“I’m sorry, sir, we’re rationing our anesthesia. We never planned on a crisis like this.”

“But she needs it,” I beg, my voice breaking slightly. “Please.”

“I’m sorry. There’s nothing I can do.”

I hear a scream from inside the room. I hurry in. Nadia is thrashing about. I dial Sydney, but I get that d*** recording saying that there are too many people using the phone, and that my call won’t go through. Disgusted, I hurl it across the room, and watch as it breaks into several different pieces.

Nadia’s body twists with a sudden, jerky movement. Her body keeps shifting back and forth.

“I’m so sorry, baby,” I say quietly, and I begin applying a sleeper hold. This is not something I want to do, but I must.

At first, she struggles even more, but eventually, her body goes limp, and I back away.

~ ~ ~

“Not to change the topic, but didn’t you say something about possibly being able to save Nadia?”

“It’s just a theory right now, but…” Sydney had trailed off, apparently trying to find the right words. She begins explaining the life-wave theory that she and her parallel had came up with and how she had cut herself, leading to her parallel getting the cut in the exact same place.

“How does that help us?”

“I’ve been thinking about it. Perhaps my parallel version got my injuries because I have a stronger…” a pause, and then she continues. “Life-wave…Perhaps I have a stronger life-wave than she does because I’m a native of this specific universe. Perhaps if I were to go to their planet, they’d have a stronger life-wave. If that’s the case, if they take Nadia back with them when they head back for their planet, perhaps she’ll get cured. Perhaps Nadia’s parallel version will be able to cure this universe’s Nadia. It’s a long shot, but who knows? It may work.”

“What if it doesn’t work? What if we just contaminate Parallel Nadia? Then we’d have two Nadias, neither able to cure the other.”

“The way I see it is that if we try and it works, we get Nadia back. If we try and fail, we won’t have gained anything, but we won’t have lost anything. If this Nadia stays contaminated, and the other Nadia doesn’t get contaminated, then she’ll be contaminated upon arrival on this planet. If that Nadia gets contaminated, and they leave her there on that planet, Parallel Nadia will die, but this Nadia won’t. It’s going to be risky no matter what, so why not hope for the best?

“I wanted to ask your opinion before authorizing it. What do you think? Do you want to try it?”

I reach for the string around my neck, and show the ring on the other end to Sydney. “It’s my grandma’s. Vaughn told me that he was planning on proposing, and I told him about how I had been considering it myself. He told me that, if you would both agree to it, we could have a double wedding. I was going to pop the question when you all got back from Savogda, but…” I can’t finish. “Do anything you can to save her.”

“I was hoping you’d say that.”

~ ~ ~

I stare at the pieces of my phone on the floor. I can’t believe I just did that. I double check to make sure that Nadia is sleeping soundly, and I head out to the lobby, where I hope like crazy that I can reach Director Chase.

I insert the coins, and dial her number.

“We’re sorry, your call could not be completed due to high traffic on the phone lines. Please try again later.”

“G** d*****,” I scream, and throw the phone again, but to no avail, because of the cord connected to it. “D*****, d*****, d*****,” I mutter under my breath.

“This is f****** b*******,” I scream out, not giving a d*** about who hears me.

Fatigue overcomes my body, and suddenly I feel light-headed. Squatting down, I place my head between my knees until I feel better.

I know I had to get up at 2 o’clock. I know that me cursing like that is just my body showing how tired it is, but I want to stay with Nadia. Now more than ever…

~ ~ ~

Three days later…

“I wish you guys could stay longer,” Sydney says as her and Vaughn’s parallel version climb up the ramp and into the ship.

“Yeah, I’d like have stayed longer, but we need to go back to start the evacuation.” Parallel Sydney turns to me. “Are you sure about doing this? Bringing…” she trails off.

“Nadia,” I supply for her.

“Nadia,” she repeats.

“Yeah, I’m sure.” I set down my suitcase, and look around the confined space. Vaughn 2 smiles at me.

“It’s a good thing you’re not claustrophobic.”

I raise my middle finger, and we both laugh. “Screw you.”

We all wave good bye as the ramp closes up the ship. Sydney and Vaughn head for the controls.

“Is Nadia secured?”

I check on her. “She’s good.”

“Just a quick warning, this is a bit intense,” Sydney turns to me with an apologetic smile.

“Okay, whatever, let’s just go,” I say impatiently. BIG MISTAKE.

The ship accelerated upward at an unbelievable rate. I feel as if an unseen force is reaching up through my a** and pulling all my internal organs through my anal oriface. Little bits of white light appear before my eyes. And about as suddenly as it had started, it was over and I was now looking into the blackness of space.

Earth keeps getting smaller and smaller, and then vanishes suddenly. By the time I’ve emptied the contents of my stomach into the provided barf bag (How thoughtful of everyone at Area 51), we’re already outside of the Milky Way.

“Now we wait,” Vaughn turns to me and says. “It’s a long trip.”

“How fast are we going?” I ask, out of sheer curiosity.

“We don’t know,” Sydney says with a smile. “But we are traveling at least 20 times the speed of light, and, believe it or not, that’s just an estimate.”

“What do we do to pass the time?”

“Well…” Vaughn says with a smirk, “Sydney and I found our own special way of passing the time on the way over here. Seeing as you’re here, we can’t exactly do that anymore.

“Do you want to play a game?”

“Like what?”

I sigh. “We have any alcohol on board?”

“Now that would be irresponsible, now, wouldn’t it? Don’t drink and fly,” Sydney says with a smile.

“Actually, I have some wine in my suitcase. That might work,” Vaughn says, winking at Sydney.

“That’ll work.”

Moments later, Vaughn comes out with three little pouches of what I assume to be wine, even though it’s packaged like the little juice drinks kids get for their meals.

He passes them around, and then hands out the straws.

“What are we going to play?” Sydney asks with a small smirk.

“I never,” I respond.

~ ~ ~

Two weeks later…

I’m strapped in as we complete a rocky landing. Sydney and Vaughn leave the ship first, and as I descend the ramp, I can feel myself starting to sweat. Suddenly, my mind wanders back to a conversation I’d had with Marshall that seemed to fit.

~ ~ ~

“Well, post-fish, when I went to drop her off, this is traditionally, clasically the time where I would -- or a man would -- kiss her. And, well, I just started sweating.”

“How bad?” I had asked, wanting to gauge the situation.

“Bad. Weird bad. Freak show bad.”

“Did she notice?” (Let me ask the most obvious question here.)

“Did she notice? It was like I had just gotten out of a lap pool.”

~ ~ ~

After only a few minutes on this planet, my shirt is soaked. “What day is it here?”

Sydney looks at Vaughn. “Probably February something.”

“February?” I nearly exclaim.

Vaughn looks around and takes off his shirt. I’d do the same, but I don’t have his body. Sydney glances around quickly, too, and strips down to a small tanktop.

Some sweat gets in my eye, and I wipe it away. “Let’s…” I have to take a deep breath. “Let’s take care of Nadia.”

Vaughn nods, and heads back into the ship with me to help get her out. It takes about two minutes to get her out of the ship and onto the stretcher that we had set out.

“Are you sure about this?” Sydney asks me quietly. I nod.

Working together, we manage to tilt the bed until Nadia’s feet finally touch the ground.

I stare intently at her face, looking for any change.

The vein slowly begins to fade. The pinkish hue returns to her face. About six minutes later, she looks like she did before Savogda. I lift one of her eyelids, and look into her beautiful brown eyes.

She’s cured. I finger the ring around my neck and smile. “I love you,” I whisper softly as I begin loosening her restraints.

…TBC…

Chapter 24

James’ POV

“I want a lawyer,” I say as I sit there in the cold metal chair, while the man in front of me paces slowly.

“You’re fingerprints were found at the house where a robbery was committed. Among the things that were taken were four laptops containing information directly affecting national security. You don’t get a lawyer. If you don’t help us out, you’ll be lucky to see sunlight within the next three years.

“I can make sure you’re thrown in solitary. That is, of course, if you choose not to help us. If you give us the names of the people that were with you when you were robbing these people, and agree to testify against them, this will just be a bad memory.

“Understand?”

I look at him. “I didn’t take the laptops. That was Charlie.”

“Charlie what?”

I sigh, knowing I’m about to betray some of my best friends. “Charlie Locke.”

The man writes the name down. “L-O-C-K-E?”

I nod.

“The only thing I took were the Playboys, and they were old.” The man shoots a glare towards the one-way mirror, and I’m glad I’m not on the receiving end of it.

“Did anyone else help you?”

“Listen, dude…” I trail off when he shoots me one of the glares that the person on the other side of the glass got.

“Don’t call me ‘Dude.’”

I bite my lip. “Sir, as I was saying, I was only there because they have dirt on me.”

“Is that dirt worth going to jail for the rest of your life?”

“The dirt would send me to jail.”

“What is it? Drugs?”

I look over at him. “That’s part of…” My eyes wander to the mirror. “Is…Is Marshall in there?”

“Does it matter?” he asks in a dry monotone.

“I’m not going to say what it is if he’s in there.”

The man swallows. “Marshall is not watching this. The people you robbed are.”

I glance towards the window again.

“If I tell you what the dirt is, and I help you bring in my friends that did this, will I be immune from prosecution for the dirt they have on me?”

He lets out a long sigh. “It depends on what the dirt is.”

I take a deep breath and start speaking. “In March, I was, uh, at a party. There was some…” I stop. “Do you promise he’s not in there?”

“Yes,” the man says, clearly annoyed.

“There was some weed being smoked. I took some myself. As I was driving home that night, I didn’t see the lady that was out. After the impact, I kept going. I heard on the news the next day that she had died.”

The man lowers his head. “Hit and run, possession of a controlled substance, driving while intoxicated, manslaughter, breaking and entering, and theft; anything else you’d like to confess to?”

“Will I get a pardon if I help you find the laptops?”

The man looks at me. “Have you no conscience? You are responsible for a woman’s death, and you want to get off scott-free?”

I swallow hard. “Yeah.”

The man looks truly angry. “Yes, you’ll get a pardon,” he finally manages to choke out. He slides me the paper he wrote Charlie’s name on, and then the pen. “Give me the name of everyone involved.”

I begin to write.

Dixon’s POV

“What do you think?” I ask cautiously.

“Well,” the doctor begins, “you’re pretty much completely healed. If you do decide to return to work, make sure you keep it calm, meaning no strenuous activities.

“So I can finally go back to work?” A smile starts to appear.

“I’d say so. Yes. Just take it easy.”

I nod.

Charlie’s POV

“Hey, where’s James?”

“I don’t know, dude.”

A slight growl exits my throat. I’ve been exploring the laptop since we took it yesterday noon.

I see a video file. Cautiously I click into it.

I see a man’s face appear. “Hey, honey. Listen, I know I won’t be home for the weekend, so I thought I’d leave you this little present.”

What the h***? I mumble quietly to myself, and then close out of the window as he begins dancing suggestively.

“Creepy,” I mumble to myself.

“Hey, dude, you’ll never guess what I’ve got.” Sam says excitedly. A similar type of video comes up, but this time, it’s a woman. We watch silently, entranced. “Whoever these people are, I think I like them,” he says with a laugh.

I go back to the computer, dragging the video to the trash. I see a Word file named “LVmissrep1.”

LV, I think to myself. I know I’ve seen that abbreviation before. I think about it for a moment, and then it hits me. Las Vegas! I click into it.

It looks like a lot of technical jargon, and as I scroll down, I see the words, “agent,” “mission objectives,” and “October Contingent.” The initials “EMP” are scattered about.

I stop scrolling and begin reading. I stare in shock as she discusses how, as agent Vaughn assembled a gun, she was forced to run a woman over with a convertible.

“Holy h***,” I mutter quietly. “These people are spies!”

“What?” Sam asks incredulously.

“The people we took these laptops from,” I begin. “They’re spies.”

He comes over and reads over my shoulder.

“F*****’ a,” he says slowly.

I start thinking to myself. “Hey, Sam, do you realize how much money we could get for this?”

“What do you mean ‘money?’”

“I’m sure there are people that would pay handsomely for this information.”

Sam looks at me. “I’m sure there are, too, but how do we contact them?”

“The internet,” I answer him simply. “But before we do that, let’s back everything up.”

Twenty-three hours later

“Do you have the laptops?” the man asks in his thick accent.

“Do you have the money?”

He gestures towards a man standing near the car. I scratch my head as the suitcase is placed on the hood of the car, and opened up to reveal several stacks of $100 bills.

I nod, and bring out the two laptops we had backed up. Sam walks forward, takes the money, and I hand the man both computers.

“Pleasure doing business with you,” he says, and we both smile.

“Same here.”

I turn and walk toward the car, when I hear him say, “Oh, one more thing…”

I face him. “Don’t worry; we won’t tell anyone about this.”

“I know,” he says, moments before he guns Sam down.

“What the f***?” I scream. My scream is cut short, however, by the sound of a gunshot.

…TBC…

Chapter 25 Part 1

Dixon’s POV

It feels great to be back at work. Sure, using a cane to walk in isn’t the most ideal situation, but I’d rather have to do that then not come to work at all.

Director Chase meets me first. We’ve discussed this in our free time, and when we’re at work, our relationship will be completely professional. I will call her Director Chase, obey her commands, and report any information to her.

In return, she will not show any favoritism towards me. She won’t assign me to certain missions just because I ask; she’ll assign me to missions when it’s necessary. Our relationship at work will be completely business-related.

However, on the personal side, while I’m gone, she will watch the kids. (Robin seems to be bonding to her easier than Steven is.) In the privacy of our home, I can call her Meredith. We can openly show emotion.

“Nice to have you back, Agent Dixon,” she says with a smile.

“Nice to be back, Director Chase.” She nods slowly, as I continue walking in.

“I’m glad you’re back, Dixon,” Sydney says with a smile.

“I’m glad to be back.”

“I’m sorry to hear about you getting shot,” Sydney says as I continue. I glance at the woman I had just greeted. Seeing two Sydneys was odd, to say the least, but Chase had explained everything when the message was received.

“I’m fine now, though.”

She smiles. “I gathered.”

Jack’s next. “Looking good.”

I smile. “Poker still on for Thursday?”

Jack casts a quick glance towards Vaughn. “Depends on if you’re ready to lose your money.”

“Bring it on.”

Marshall is standing next to Jack. “You know Dixon, it’s really nice to see the old, not to say that you’re old, you know, dignified, that’s a better word…”

“Trust me, Marshall. I know what you’re saying.”

He hugs me, and I stand there, unsure of what to do. When he finally stops and back’s away, I give a small smile.

I walk over to the first Vaughn. “Welcome back.”

“Thanks.”

“Don’t worry, Elena’s dead.”

“Chase told…” I clear my throat. “Director Chase informed me of that fact.”

“We know about you two,” the Sydney from this timeline says.

I look back at Chase. “Oh. Okay.”

The other Vaughn is next. He extends his hand. “So you’re Dixon. It’s nice to finally meet you.”

I shake his hand slowly. “I’d return the greeting, but…”

“But you already know me. I understand.”

I nod.

Weiss is next, and he smiles and says, “It’s good to have you back.”

We all stand there for another moment, and then Jack breaks the silence. “Enough chit-chat. We’ve got business to discuss.”

I walk toward the briefing room, and once everyone is in, Jack wastes no time in bringing up footage of the chaos that had resulted from the landing of the spaceship.

“This footage shows us what we’re up against. People are panicking, and, though it has calmed greatly, I’ve been in contact with President Bush, and…”

“Bush is still in office?” one Sydney asks, obviously the one from the parallel universe.

“He was re-elected in 2004,” the other Sydney replies.

“I was in contact with President Bush, and his advisors. The overwhelming consensus was that we should inform everyone of the situation at hand. It will ultimately come out anyway when the evacuation begins.

“However, when the discussion turned to how to present the speech, we realized that everyone would need proof, and by showing either of your faces on TV,” Jack says, gesturing towards the two pairs of Sydneys and Vaughns, “it would end your ability to go on missions. That would be a tremendous loss to this agency, not to mention the fact that it’d expose our existence, which would be especially damaging, given our status of being completely off-book.”

“So what are we going to do?” Parallel Sydney (I think) asked.

“You two are going back to your planet. We will send Agent Santos with you in the hopes of it curing her, but the primary objective of this trip is to bring President Bush’s parallel back here, not only to prove the validity of the situation, but to also reassure the public that everything is all right.”

“I’d like permission to accompany this mission,” Weiss says. “Actually, more specifically, I’d like permission to accompany Agent Santos.”

“The spaceship is very small. We only have limited space,” Jack says in his typical, unemotional tone.

“I don’t require much space, Jack.”

“Very well. Agent Weiss, you will go on this trip, too. That is all.”

Everyone gathers their stuff up to go, and Jack says quickly, “Agent Dixon, stay a moment.”

When the room is empty, save for the two of us, Jack gestures to a seat.

“Agent Dixon, do you remember when you ran the Joint Task Force?”

“Of course,” I respond. (How could I have forgotten?)

“With Mr. Sloane in custody for his role in the Savogda incident, command of APO has been delegated to me. However, there are times when I am needed in the field. Since Director Chase is only here when absolutely necessary, I need to find a second in command. You have experience.

“Are you willing to take command of APO, assuming that I am for some reason or another, incapable of fulfilling my duty?”

“Is there a reason you’d be incapable of fulfilling your duty?” I ask concerned.

“While I’m mostly recovered from the effects of the radiation, I still do have regular check-ups with Dr. Liddell. Usually these check-ups are quick, but on occasion, abnormalities are found, and the treatments take a while. It’s nothing big, I just want to have my bases covered.”

“Yes, I can handle it.”

“Good,” he says, nods curtly, and stands up and holds the door open for me.

Work goes by quickly. Since I’m still recovering, I’m assigned to desk duties. They’re boring and monotonous, but they make the time fly.

At 5:00, I punch out quickly and head home. The traffic is still a nightmare, but nowhere near what it was when the spaceship was discovered.

Robin’s upstairs chatting with John on her cellphone. Steven is somewhere (it’s getting harder to keep track of him now that he’s got his driver’s license).

I’ve got to hurry. I’m meeting Chase for dinner, and the small box in my pocket is getting harder and harder to hide.

I strip off my clothes, and turn the water on hot. Once I’m done showering, I have to pick out my clothes. I go with a traditional sports jacket. It looks dressy, without making it seem that we’re going to a ball.

I get to the restaurant five minutes early, but Chase has already been there for six minutes.

The music is soft and ambient, and Chase is positively glowing in the candlelight. There’s some idle chitchat, nothing really important, a little bit of talk about work, and as the lemon meringue pie is placed between us, I decide now is as good a time as any.

I get on one knee. Her eyes are wide, staring down at me as I pull the box out of my pocket.

It’s funny, I now know ten languages (and, no, techno is still not one of them), and I can conjure up countless accents and dialects, but as I’m about to profess my undying love, I can’t seem to say anything.

“Meredith Chase, will you marry me?”

Her mouth drops open. “Of course.”

I open the box and show her the ring. She happily puts it on her finger.

A clapping begins from around us, and I suddenly realize that people are watching.

“This lovely lady has just agreed to be my wife,” I exclaim, the smile on my face is the largest it has been in a long time.

...TBC in Part 2...

Chapter 25 Part 2

The creak of the floorboards was so quiet that I almost didn’t hear it, however the key word there is “almost.” My eyes shoot open, and I listen intently for another, and I’m not disappointed.

Someone’s inside.

Softly, I move Meredith’s arm, which is draped across my chest, back to her chest.

She groans. I had hoped that wouldn’t wake her up, but it did.

“What…What’s going on?”

“We’ve got company,” I whisper quietly.

My shirt is on the floor, and I quickly put it on, followed by my boxers, and then my pants. If I’m going to confront a home intruder, I sure as h*** am not going to be naked when I do it.

I take my gun out of the top dresser drawer, and unlock the trigger. (I trust my kids, but I’ll be d***** if I don’t keep it safe.)

“I’ll be back,” I mouth at her. “Call the cops.”

She nods, and I open my door just a little bit.

No one is in the hall. I stay close to the wall, and walk slowly for the stairs. A beam of light is moving frantically around, and I can see one man looking through my file cabinet. (He must have picked the lock, because I keep that thing very secure.)

I raise my gun, take careful aim and shoot.

He drops. I can hear Robin and Steven in their rooms, most likely getting on the bulletproof vests that I gave them after they were kidnapped.

They don’t have guns in their rooms, but they won’t be helpless. Steven has a sturdy Gerber knife, and he knows how to use it.

Robin has a high-power stun gun and a can of mace. They’re prepared.

I see some movement in the corner of my eye, and three shots ring out, blowing holes in the drywall right by my head. (One definite good thing about most bad guys is that when they’re panicking, they aren’t good marksmen. H***, if our roles were reversed, that man would clearly be dead.)

If this were a typical mission, I wouldn’t hesitate to fire back, but since it’s my house, I know I have to be more careful.

Two more shots ring out, and these aren’t even close to hitting me. A plan starts to form in my mind. I glance down the hall. Robin’s door is only a few feet away.

I knock quietly. “Who is it?”

“Robin, it’s me.” The door crack’s slightly, but when she sees my face she opens it up all the way.

“Do you have your bowling ball in here?”

She furrows her brow. “Yeah. Why?”

“I need it.” Slowly she takes a leather bag out of her closet. The shiny blue ball comes next.

“I’ll probably be able to get this back to you. Don’t worry.”

“What’s going on? I heard shots.”

I sigh. “There’s some…”

A creak sounds outside the door. I aim my gun at the door. “Get down,” I say as quietly as I can to Robin.

Then there’s a knock. “It’s me. It’s Chase.”

I open the door. “Marcus!” she exclaims when she sees me.

“They’re downstairs. I got one, but there’s more. I don’t know how many.”

She notices the bowling ball in my hands.

“What the h***’s that for?”

I motion for her to follow me. We pause under the five holes in the wall above us.

I balance the ball on the edge of the step, and then point in the direction that the intruder was in, last I knew.

When she’s ready, I give the ball a gentle nudge, and it makes loud noises as it tumbles down the steps. The man rises to shoot, but Chase is clearly a better marksman, make that a better markswoman, and I can see the man collapse as his kneecaps disintegrate on impact with the bullets.

I turn to her. “Good shot,” I mouth.

“Good plan,” she mouths back.

“Go check on Robin and Steven. I’ll finish up here.”

“How do you know there’s not more people down there?”

“I don’t, but I only saw two.”

“Be careful.”

“Always.”

I descend the stairs, my gun drawn. My eyes scan for any motion. I finally come upon the man behind the couch, and when he realizes that he has no chance, he gives up.

I place the cuffs on him, and look outside. A windowless black van is waiting across the street.

Now that I know it’s secure down here, I call Chase down to watch the first intruder. I grab my keys and sneak around back, finally getting in my car.

I stick my key in the ignition and turn it.

Chase’s POV

My gun is trained steadily on the man before me. While upstairs, I had used Robin’s cell phone to call the CIA, informing them of the break-in.

They had assured me that they’d send agents.

Dixon told me that there were some more in a van outside, and he had left to take care of them.

I didn’t suspect anything was wrong until the explosion sounded. I chose then and there to make a tactically unsound decision; I left the man handcuffed in the living room, and ran out to check on Dixon, but I know as soon as I see the flaming debris floating to the ground that it is too late.

To make a bad situation worse, the van is nowhere to be seen.

Murphy’s law comes to mind as I head back inside to keep watch on the one intruder that we’ve managed to capture.

“If anything can go wrong, it will.”

Never has that been so true as it was when I see the man twitching on the floor. He’s secreting a disgusting foam out of his mouth, and I can see a small pill case I must have missed discarded on the floor.

I place two fingers at his throat, and as I am kneeling there, he dies.

Karl Lincoln’s POV

The van comes to a stop five miles away, and we hurry and climb into the next one before Tyler sticks the fuel soaked rag in the gas tank and lights it. I look at the four men sitting in the back next to me, and I take the black magic marker and draw a line through Marcus Dixon’s name.

I look at the next name on the list: Eric Weiss.

…TBC…

Chapter 26

Vaughn 1’s POV

“Is it yours or mine,” Sydney groans when she hears a pager vibrating on the table next to the hotel bed.

My hand finds its way to the table, and then feels around until I can feel it vibrating in my hand. The pager is white. “Yours,” I mumble, and sit up in the bed.

“D*****,” she groans, and then looks at the display. “It’s Chase.”

She crawls across the bed, in order to reach the phone, and I can feel her warm skin on mine. “You know, Syd, after the past few days, don’t you think it can wait a couple of hours? I mean, just wait until after our parallels and Weiss take off.”

“What if it’s important?”

“Come on, baby, it’s the middle of the night. Say we didn’t hear it.”

“Vaughn, I…”

I kiss her on the lips, cutting off her reply. “It can wait.”

She flashes a smile at me. “Okay.”

“Okay,” I repeat with a smile.

“But if I get in trouble…” she begins, smiling broadly.

“Feel free to punish me,” I say, noting by her expression that she caught the real meaning of that statement.

“Do you want to know what’s great?” she asks, a large smile spread across her face.

“What?”

“With Sloane gone, Elena dead, and this whole deal with the parallel universes, I haven’t heard the name ‘Rambaldi’ in a little over two months. It’s a nice, nice change.”

I smile, more out of just how true her statement is, then out of genuine amusement.

“Hey, Syd?”

“Yeah,” she says with a smile turning to me.

“Knock, Knock.”

“Who’s there?” The smile on her face is showing off those cute dimples.

“Rambaldi.”

A pillow slams into my face, and I start laughing.

As Sydney gears up for another hit with the pillow, I grab her arm, and pull her down, where we meet in a long, tender kiss.

The pager vibrates again.

“Holy h***!” Sydney exclaims, and reaches for the phone.

I can see the look of anger on her face as she dial’s Director Chase’s number.

“Yeah, you paged me…It’s 2:00 in the morning…”

I start tickling her in her ribs, and I know something is wrong the moment she pushes my hand away.

“You’re kidding…Is he…Oh, my God…Yeah, I’ll be right there.”

The smile is gone now.

“What? What is it?”

She looks at me, clearly in shock. “It’s Dixon. He’s dead.”

My eyes go wide. “Dead?”

She nods. “I’m going over to his house. Chase is there, and she doesn’t…she doesn’t sound good.”

Sydney 1’s POV

I pull up in front of his house a few minutes later.

I can see Director Chase sitting in the yard across the street with Robin and Steven. She’s clearly been crying.

When she sees me, she gets up and gives me a hug. “I’m so sorry,” I mumble quietly.

She sniffles, and goes back to sitting down. “I didn’t know who else to call. I remembered going through your file and reading about Danny, and I…”

She’s clearly unable to continue.

A man in a uniform that reads forensics comes across the street.

“We found this in the guy who committed suicide’s wallet. Does it look familiar?”

Chase looks it over and nods. “Yeah.” She turns to me. “Agent Bristow, you recognize it, right?”

I read it over quickly. “Yeah, I recognize it,” I say quietly. “It’s one of my mission reports.”

A small realization creeps in. It’s all my fault, I think to myself.

…TBC…

Chapter 27 Part 1

Nadia’s POV

15 Days Later…

“I will never betray my sister.” I had said, my disgust the woman who raised me at a fevered pitch.

“We’ll see.”

I felt the needle go into the mark that Anna had branded me with, and I scream in pain. I closed my eyes during the injection, and now I open them and the world around me has changed.

Elena is nowhere to be found. I’m no longer tied to the chair, but my body feels completely weak, so even if she did free me, I know I can’t get away. I groan.

“She’s awake!” I hear Weiss exclaim.

His head hovers over my face. “What…what happened?”

“Elena infected you with the tap water.”

“Where is she?” I need to know.

“Hopefully she’s rotting away in the ruins of Savogda.”

“Is she dead?”

Weiss smiles. “Thanks to your mom,” he says with a smile, sighs, and continues, “and your dad.”

“My dad? He joined Elena.”

He lowers his head. “Apparently he was trying to take her down from the inside.”

“Why are you using past-tense. Did something happen to him?” I don’t know why I’m concerned, but I am.

“When they got back from Savogda, he was taken into custody. He got a good lawyer that managed to persuade a jury that Sloane is legally insane. He’s locked up in a mental institution.”

“For good?”

Weiss gives me a sympathetic smile. “It’s probably the lesser of two evils. It was either that or the death penalty.”

My eyes go big.

“His pardon agreement was quite clear. No Rambaldi. Helping out Elena, even if he had ulterior motives, was a breach of the contract. By law, he should have been put to death. His lawyer basically performed a miracle getting him off that easy.”

“But…did he…has he asked about me?”

“I’ve only seen him once, and that was because he requested it. We spent the whole time talking about ways to cure you.”

I suddenly realize the most obvious question that I have yet to ask. “How did you cure me? Does it have anything to do with how hot it is?”

“That’s a long story,” I hear Sydney say, but when I try to turn my head to look at her, I can’t seem to elicit a response from my body.

“Am I all right?” I ask in a sudden bout of panic.

“Why? Is something wrong?” This time it’s Vaughn.

“I…I can’t move.”

…TBC in Part 2…

Chapter 27 Part 2

Nadia’s POV

“What?” Sydney asks, sounding completely shocked.

“I…can’t…move,” I choke out, trying again to turn my head towards her, but not succeeding.

Apparently Eric can tell what I’m trying to do because I soon feel his hands on my head, gently turning it towards Sydney.

“Wait!” Vaughn exclaims, and I look at him oddly. He looks young, much younger than I’ve seen him. “Don’t move her.”

His hands leave my head, and now I’m looking at Vaughn and Sydney. (Sydney looks younger too. What’s going on?)

“We need to get a doctor,” Sydney says, and leaves with Vaughn in tow.

I’m looking at the wall now. Eric is on the other side. I want to move my head. I NEED to move my head. I take a deep breath and try again.

It moves, but just a little bit.

“Hey, baby, don’t move,” he says, and hurries to the other side.

“Sydney said it was a long story.”

“What?” he asks confused.

“How I got cured. Sydney said it was a long story,” I mumble.

“It is. A lot has happened since…” he trails off.

“Since Savogda,” I finish for him.

He nods.

“How did I get cured?”

“Well…” he says slowly, drawing each letter of the word out. “Well, you’re not exactly on Earth.”

HOLY H***.

“Where am I?”

Eric sighs. “Earth.”

“But you said…” I begin. What the f*** is going on? Is this a hallucination?

“About two months after you all got back from Savogda, there was a meeting.”

“How long has it been?”

“Around two and a half months.”

My eyes go big.

“In the meeting, we heard a distress call…”

“Oh, good, you’re awake,” a man says, interrupting Eric. “I hear you’re having some…difficulties?”

“I can’t seem to move.”

He nods slowly. From his attire, it’s clear he’s a doctor, but my surroundings aren’t that of a hospital, and he’s not the doctor that we’ve had to deal with at APO.

“Do me a favor,” he says, snapping me out of my thoughts. “Close your eyes and tell me if you feel this.”

I obey, and a few moments later, I feel a slight prick of my fingers. My reflexes would usually move my fingers away from the pain, but it seems that the mental message to move them got lost in the mail, so to speak.

“Ow.” I mumble quietly.

“You felt that?”

“Yeah,” I say harshly.

“Well, that means that you should be able to use your fingers. Wait just a moment.”

I feel him tugging at my feet, and moments later, I feel a prick in the arch of my foot.

“That kind of hurts,” I say, annoyed at this waste of my time. I could have told him I could feel my fingers and my toes. I can’t move them, that’s the problem.

“You said she’s been in a coma for how long?”

“About two and a half months,” Sydney answers.

“Was it from an injury or was it medically induced?”

“Medically induced.”

“Did the medicine have a muscle paralyzer?”

Eric perks up this realization. “Yeah, actually it did. They suggested bringing it with us for the trip.”

“Well, that pretty much answers your questions. The muscle paralyzer needs to wear off. After that, she should be able to move a bit more freely, but two and a half months with no activity tends to make the muscles weaker. Odds are that she’ll need to undergo physical therapy to gain back the use of her muscles.”

I’m listening to him in silence.

“Will I be able to walk again?”

“Oh, I’m sure you will. You just may have to learn it again.”

A strange tingle starts to wash over me. My fingers feel like they’re asleep. I concentrate on moving one.

It flinches.

I let out a sigh of relief. I’m going to be okay.

Eric scratches his neck slightly, and I see a the sun reflect off a gold chain around his neck. Eric doesn’t wear necklaces, I wonder quietly to myself. What's going on?

…TBC…

Chapter 28

Sydney 1’s POV

Fourteen days earlier…

“I wish you guys could stay longer,” I say, smiling at them. They don’t need to know about Dixon; the only purpose that’d serve is to stress them out the entire duration of the trip.

“Yeah, I’d like have stayed longer, but we need to go back to start the evacuation.” I nod slowly. She turns to Weiss as Nadia is brought in, and asks if he’s sure about bringing her. (Just wait until she hears that he popped the question, then that point will really be moot.)

Vaughn’s parallel jokes with Weiss about it being good that he’s not claustrophobic, to which Weiss replies by flipping the bird and saying, “Screw you.”

I laugh, despite all that has just happened.

The ship takes off quickly, but the acceleration had to have made it uncomfortable for everyone on the inside.

Vaughn and I head for the car. “What are we going to do today?”

“Well,” he begins, “Since Dixon died, Jack gave us the day off. I had made plans for our next day off, of course, with Dixon’s death, I’m not sure if we should…” he trails off.

“What are you talking about?”

“We never actually got around to going to Santa Barbara. I was just thinking…” I cut him off.

“We are NOT going to Santa Barbara. I don’t believe in curses, but nothing good has ever come from our attempts to go there.”

“Which is why we’re going to Las Vegas. The sights, the sounds…” he trails off with a smile.

“What do you think?”

“Las Vegas,” I mumble to myself quietly.

“It’s only a little ways away. As soon as we clear the security here, we’re on the outskirts.”

“Is that why you wanted us to come here to Area 51?” I ask, starting to see his ulterior motives.

“You caught me.” He smiles.

“Let’s do it.”

“Yeah?” His grin grows bigger.

I laugh a bit. “Yeah. Let’s go to Vegas.”

Getting past security is no problem, and about two hours later, we’re driving down the strip.

“So, honey, where do you want to stay?”

I see a big hotel with a huge waterfall in the front. “That one, right there,” I say nodding in its direction. “The Montecito.”

Vaughn pulls in moments later. We check in quickly, and our bags are delivered to our room, where we spend the rest of the day “christening” it.

Early the next morning, I head off to take a shower, and Vaughn calls Jack to tell him that we won’t be in.

Vaughn 1’s POV

The door to the bathroom closes, and I dial Jack’s number.

“Bristow,” he answers gruffly.

“Jack, it’s Vaughn.”

He sighs. “What is it?”

“You know where Irina is, don’t you?”

He doesn’t respond.

“Jack?”

“What does this have to do with anything?”

“I need you to get her and come here to Vegas.”

“And why do we need to do this?”

“Because I’m planning on marrying Sydney.”

Silence again.

“We’ll be right there.”

I hang up and call dad. As much as I know that Sydney’s going to hate having Dad at her wedding, I’m not exactly thrilled at the prospect of having my biological father’s killer at my wedding. The way I see it, this is an even trade-off.

Fortunately, since Dad is at Project: Black Hole, he’ll be here soon.

I just need to find a way to pass the time until Jack and Irina get here.

My phone rings about an hour later. “We’re here,” Jack mutters gruffly, when I pick it up.

I look over at Sydney, and mouth, “I have to take this.”

Once she’s out of earshot, I ask, “How’d you get here so fast?”

“We caught a flight,” he states.

“Well, I’m still waiting on Kendall…”

“No, you’re not. He’s here.”

“We’ll be right there, then.”

I head back into the room.

“I got a surprise for you.”

“Really?” she asks, a smile growing on her face.

“Really,” I smile back. “But you’re going to have to wear this.” I pull out a blindfold. She puts it on, and moments later, we’re standing outside the church I had picked out earlier.

Sydney 1’s POV

The blindfold comes off, and, after my eyes adjust to the sudden brightness of the sun, I realize where I’m standing.

“You ready?” he says with a huge smile.

“Of course,” I answer.

The first half of the wedding goes quickly, and then it comes time for our vows.

I brimming with excitement as the preacher turns to me, and asks, “Do you, Sydney Bristow, promise to be your husband in the holy estate of matrimony? Will you love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health, for richer, for poorer, for better, for worse, in sadness and in joy, to cherish and continually bestow upon him your heart’s deepest devotion, forsaking all others, keep yourself only unto him as long as you both shall live?

“I,” I begin, but something Weiss said to me earlier comes to mind. “I don’t. Not yet.”

…TBC…

Jen-Jen
secretagent03
spy_girl21
SpySyd2010
sydneyluvsvaughn4eva
ubielecki
Wild_Child
aliasdancer007

Back