Partners

:bangs table: FLUFF FLUFF :chants: FLUFF FLUFF FLUFF FLUFF!!!

:blink: Have we reached a mutual understanding?

LOL Good! :hehe: Great chapter Angel...

:cough:Fluff:cough:

I've been in a fluff mood... which is very unlike me, I'm an angst person... its cuz I spent the last two days reading Angel/Buffy fanfiction. That stuff is fluffy like nothing else. Though I couldn't find a message board to respond on... so sad. ANd I have this thing against FF.net.

Ok, I'm babbling again.

BYE!

Danielle.

So we can celebrate that there is no more hostility between them..... but they still aren't like the happy couple (yes, I'm still in denial) of the show. :smiley: Here's the next part....

Thanks again for your kind words!!

Chapter 6

Vaughn keeps on reminding himself to stay calm as he knocks on the door of his newest employer. He has been to work for a week, but has done almost nothing. The daily tours of the facilities and observation of various tech people was not what he expected he’d be doing. He hasn’t been given a chance to do more experienced assignments. This is partly due to the fact that he still does not have a partner yet. Sloane promised that he would find someone by the end of two weeks. Though Vaughn is slightly itching to get out into the field again, deep down he is a little glad that Sloane hasn’t found anyone yet. He still has the tiniest glimmer of hope to work with someone in particular. He doesn’t know why, but she intrigues him.

After two soft knocks and no reply, he decides to turn around and come back another time. Before he takes more than three steps, he hears a voice that he hasn’t heard since that night at the restaurant. That night ended on fairly good terms. The two had reconciled differences and were willing to put bad tension behind.

“ Agent Vaughn,” she calls out. He turns around and is happy to find that she doesn’t carry the same hostility as before. He gives her a polite smile.

“ Is everything going all right?” she asks seeming genuinely interested.

“ Yes . . .” he hesitates at first unsure whether to call her Sydney or Agent Bristow. He finally decides that they haven’t gotten pass simply being mere acquaintance and adds on. “Thanks for asking Agent Bristow.”

“ Call me Sydney.”

“ Alright. Everything is fine. I, uh, haven’t done much yet.”

“ I’m sure you’ll be off in the field soon. I think Sloane is actually waiting for you in his office.” She adds on as she starts to walk off.

“ Thanks . . .” he calls out. She turns her head slightly and gives him a nod. She walks off in long strides. Though she is further away, she is still close enough to her him say “ See you around . . .Sydney.” At the sound of her name, she gives herself an amused little smile.

Vaughn watches her walk towards the elevator and press the down button. He is startled by Sloane clearing his throat behind him.

“ Agent Vaughn, won’t you please come in my office,” Sloane says in a monotone voice. Vaughn feels like he is in junior high school and is being called into the principal’s office. He takes a deep breath and follows.

Sloane walks slowly to his desk and sits down in front of the computer. Vaughn stands, timidly only a few steps in front of the door way. “Is this guy going to offer me a seat?” Vaughn thinks to himself.

“ Please sit down.” Vaughn slowly obliges. As he takes a seat, there is only silence. He doesn’t see how this situation could be any more awkward. He can’t tell if Sloane is suspicious of him or not. He hasn’t trusted him to take any assignments still.

“ As you know, I had originally planned for you to work with Agent Sydney Bristow.”

“ Yes sir.”

“ You probably also know that she has expressed her own wishes to only take solo operations.”

“ Yes sir.” Vaughn quickly realizes how much he is acting like a robot and tries to relax. Sloane hardly notices and continues.

“ I personally do not think it is a good choice. I don’t doubt her abilities. She is . . .one of our best. She was recruited seven years ago and I knew right away how . . .special . . .she is. There are rarely agents that I feel have the potential to do great things…”

Vaughn only nods, unsure why he is being told all about how Sloane feels about one of his agents. It makes him uncomfortable to hear this evil man talk about how “special” Sydney Bristow is.

“ I feel that I owe her to at least give her requests a chance. In two days, she is being sent off to Tokyo to retrieve a valuable disk. A disk that MANY in the intelligence community all would like to have in their possessions. I want you to follow and watch her. I don’t think it is a very dangerous mission, but in case something goes wrong . . .”

“ You would like to give her back- up?”

“ Yes, but not right away. Don’t interfere until absolutely necessary. I want to see if she can do solo missions. I don’t want to call it a test. But it will help me make my decision. If she succeeds without your help, I will grant her solo missions from now on. If she fails at her mission, then I will demand that she take a partner. Do you understand?”

“ Yes sir.”

“So basically my first mission is not really a mission at all,” Vaughn explains to his handler. “ I am just suppose to follow . . .discreetly . . .and watch her complete her mission.” He looks at her wondering what she’s thinking. She is definitely thinking something. He noticed a while back that whenever she thought deeply about details of a mission, she would look at the floor and play with the ring she had on her middle finger. He didn’t know the whole story behind the ring, but knew that someone very important gave it to her.

“ What are you thinking?”

“ That this is mission is more important than you think.” He gives her a raised eyebrow. The right eyebrow, which means he is seriously confused.

“ This mission is a key mission. It decides whether she will have a partner or go solo. The CIA has checked her background. She is exactly the type of partner we would like you to have. She is a favorite of Sloane’s…” at the mention of how Sydney is a favorite of Sloane’s, that weird feeling he had in Sloane’s office resurfaces.

“ Why is she a . . .a . . .favorite?” he can’t believe how difficult it is for him to ask a simple question.

She looks at him in a questioning manner and wonder why he asks. “ I don’t know. It just seems that way. She gets many high level operations in a short amount of time. That’s what we need.”

“ So what do you want me to do?”

“ We just need you to make sure that she fails her mission.”

“ What?”

“ You will be following her as Sloane told you. Then when she has the disk in possession, you will take it from her.”

“ I am just suppose to go to her and take it . . .when what . . .she is not looking? She is not suppose to know that I am there. ” he asks with a baffled expression.

“ Exactly. She will think you are just from another rival agency.”

“ Then you know that she wouldn’t just let the disk be stolen” he states as if he knows exactly what type of person she is.

“ And I also happen to know that you are capable of getting things on missions. Think about it. We will be killing two birds with one stone. If you get it and she fails the mission . . .the CIA will have the disk AND Sloane will make sure that she takes you as her partner. ”

He has gone on missions before that required him to get things that other agents were also after. But he doesn’t like this idea at all.

“ She will recognize me.”

“ You will be wearing a ski mask.”

“ My eyes will be exposed.”

“ You will have colored contacts.”

“ She might know my voice.”

“You will just have to keep silent then.” She gives him a challenging stare as if saying “try coming up with more excuses. I will reject all of them.” He knows he has lost.

“ You will have a camera on, so I can watch and monitor. You will have an ear-piece so you can hear me. But you can’t talk.”

“ What if it’s not that easy. What if she doesn’t give up without a fight?”

“ If you are good, it shouldn’t come to that.”

“ But . . . .”

She stands up and walks closer to him. She is quite tall, and with the right heals, she can be at his eye level. “ Look, it’s just like any other mission. You’ve done this before.”

He gives her a defeated sigh. In two days, he will be in Tokyo carrying out his first assignment as a double agent inside SD-6, and he’s already regretting it.

Sophie, I believe that chapter 5 is on the previous page.... :thinking:

If you can't find it for some reason, I'd be happy to PM you the chapter.

OOOOO :clap: Angel! I love it! I'm addicted. :blush: I now love alternate reality fics. They're quite enjoyable.

Now... Syd grabs ski mask off Vaughns face, sees who it is, then learns what SD-6 really is, and they live happily ever after?? Please?? :begging:

I love happy endings.

ahhhh!!!!! i like this chap angel!!! aww.....he calls her sydney...how sweet....ski mask......sooooooooo phase one....and if she rips it off and his hair is messy and his eyes...:thud:.....oh yeah baby.....

Back