Partners

Airplane!Fluff. Sort of. I swear, that entire time, I was thinking, "Kiss her! Kiss her!" LOL

And I STILL think Kristine has a crush on Vaughn. :nods: Love triangles are fun.

Great chapter Angel! Should I be expecting Action!Vaughn again sometime soon? I love him so.

And your action was very cool Angel dear, don't worry. I found it very intense. It's not so often you hear about Vaughn fighting Syd. Physically anyway. Verbally... well. Thats a different story.

Elle

o0o0o nice angel nice!! sorry but i would have responded ewarlier but yeah..anyways!! nice chap! cant wait for ur next one!

aliaschick4mv said:
Airplane!Fluff. Sort of. I swear, that entire time, I was thinking, "Kiss her! Kiss her!" LOL

And I STILL think Kristine has a crush on Vaughn. :nods: Love triangles are fun.

Great chapter Angel! Should I be expecting Action!Vaughn again sometime soon? I love him so.

And your action was very cool Angel dear, don't worry. I found it very intense. It's not so often you hear about Vaughn fighting Syd. Physically anyway. Verbally... well. Thats a different story.

Elle
Ditto!! I was thinking the same thing!! lol *yells in head* KISS HER!!!

OMG!! Me too!! I think Kristine has a crush on Vaughn!! Hmmmm... love triangles can be fun, in away.

Yep yep!! Your action was great! :D

Hey guys, sorry....I have been spending most my time at SD-1.

I feel really bad so I'm posting the next three chapters.

Chapter 9

Sydney nervously sits all alone in the conference room waiting for Sloane’s arrival. She doesn’t know what to expect from him. What would his reaction be to her failing the mission? She knew he had high expectations for her.

“ Sydney . . .” Her tensions are eased because he doesn’t seem too angry. There may even be a hint of satisfaction in his voice. “ After the last mission, I hope you have reconsidered what we talked about earlier.”

“ Yes. I have.” She says taking a deep breath.

“ Good. I think you and Mr.Vaughn may work well together. I trust that you would guide him along and keep an eye out for our organization at the same time.” He says cryptically.

Sydney is a little confused at what he is trying to communicate, and decides to add her confidence in Vaughn. “I haven’t seen him in action, but I think he is quite capable of completing missions successfully. I don’t think there is anything to worry about.”

“ Oh I don’t question his . . .abilities . . .he has an impressive record at SD-4. Doing what we do, we have to always keep our guard up even if it seems unnecessary at the moment. I am always wary of new people, as I am sure you are too Sydney. If you even have the slightest suspicions, you won’t hesitate to tell me right Sydney?”

“ uh right . . . .” she agrees softly.

“ Keep alert for now . . . until Mr.Vaughn gets more acquainted with how things are done at SD-6. That is all. I will be calling you two within the week for your first mission.” Sydney stands up to leave and as she reaches the door, Sloane clears his throat for one last comment.

“ We are trying to look into who got away with the disk. I assure you that we will find him.” Sydney simply nods her head and steps out the door, vowing to herself that SHE will be the one to find out who he is.

A man sits down at a small table in the corner of a café . A few minutes later, a tall redhead with sunglasses and the day’s newspaper tucked under one arm walks past and sits in the chair directly behind his. They are back to back. She orders a small cup of chai tea. After it arrives, she opens up the newspaper and flips it to a random page.

“ You’re here early,” she whispers under her breath.

“ I wouldn’t take you to be a cartoon reader . . .” he says casually as his takes a sip of his own coffee.

“What?!” She is confused until she sees that she actually did flip to the cartoon section. How did he guess that? As she looks up from the newspaper, she sees that he has strategically chosen this corner where the glass walls meet. She can almost see his face reflected on the glass, and he can obviously see her. She smiles a little and says, “ Actually . . .I was looking for the horoscopes.”

“ Pardon moi. Of course the horoscopes are the most important. What does the week hold for you?” he inquires. Though she enjoys it when he tries to engage her in conversation about non-work related stuff, she knows she should be the one to end it.

“ Same as usual. We looked into the contents of the disk. It is very informative on illegal trades for the last decade. Good work.” She starts the focus of the meeting.

“That is the most boring horoscope I have ever heard. Nothing about finding happiness in the near future, getting a promotion, no encounters with mystery men?” he teases and she lets out a smile. If this continues any longer, she won’t be able to get to business.

“ No, none of the above. I know you were reluctant before . . . but, do you see how helpful that last mission was? We got the intel that without you, the enemy would have gotten. And now, you will have a secure position. There’s just one thing . . .” She says softly and stops. She doesn’t know how to bring up Weiss’ cautions without getting him angry.

He doesn’t hear her and wants to carry on about something else. “ None of the above? What does mine say?”

She is starting to get impatient. “Have you even heard a word I said?” She sees from the glass that he takes a sip of coffee and nods his head. Well if you are, you are not acting like it, she thinks.

“ Fine . . .your horoscope says,” she is rattling her brain and he listens intently. “ it says that you should be cautious of emotional attachments. Getting too close too fast may not always be good.” She ends her sentence slowly to see if he understands.

He freezes for a moment to take in her message. “ I don’t know what that means.”

“ You forgot to turn off your camera on your way back. I was watching and so was Weiss. He thinks you should be careful not to get . . .” She can sense his changing mood.

“ Not to get?” he challenges her to say it.

“ You know . . .” she doesn’t want to say it. Now she regrets ever bringing it up. Weiss voiced his concern, but it is still a little too early to give a warning. She wishes she could take it back, but now she can’t step down.

“ I don’t. Get what?” he presses on.

“ Get . . .emotionally attached to her.”

“ Company’s favorite line . . .” he smirks.

“ There is a reason for company protocol.” She states firmly.

“ I just don’t think I am at that point where I need to be reminded. I have not crossed any lines.”

“ I know,” she is quick to smooth his anger. “ I didn’t say you were. It’s just a cautious warning. Take it only as that.”

Then they both let silence settle in before they get so caught up in an argument that people start to notice. Kristine puts her newspaper down and takes her first sip of chai tea. It is already starting to cool down fast. Vaughn hangs his head down and plays with the spoon in his coffee cup. He doesn’t see a brunette approach him.

“ Hey,” she waves her hand in front of his face to shake him out of his thoughts. He lifts his head up and immediately he feels his spirits lift slightly.

“ Hi,” he says with a smile. “ What are you doing here?”

“ um . . .I came for coffee?”

“ Right. Coffee here is good.” He immediately wants to hit himself at his response. “Um . .. . how is your shoulder?” he asks with furrowed concerned eyebrows. At that same moment, the women behind him shifts in her chair.

“ It’s doing a lot better. The bandaging was almost like professionally done. Thank you.”

“ No uh…don’t thank me.” The past few days, every time he thinks about the mission, his thoughts usually end with seeing her blood on his hands.

“ You’re too modest. Anyway, Danny and I are going to have a dinner party and are wondering if you and Alice would like to join us?”

Kristine shifts again in her chair and crumples her newspaper loudly. After thinking a moment he says, “ I don’t know . . .”

“ Oh, but you two should come. Danny can’t stop talking about Alice since that day at the restaurant. Please say yes.” She gives him a warm smile.

“ Sure.”

“ Great! We’ll see you tomorrow night.” He watches her walk off to the counter to order her coffee.

“ There’s no line being crossed,” he whispers into his cup.

“Just be careful. We’ll be in touch.” the redhead whispers as she gets up to leave.

Chapter 10

Sydney Bristow sinks down into her car seat to hide herself as the headlights of the car she has been following flashes before her windshield. “That was close,” she thinks to herself as she let out a sigh of relief that he didn’t spot her. A dozen questions keep flashing constantly in her head almost giving her a headache. The question that is the most prominent is how in the world did she end up here . . .spying . . .on her day off?

The evening started out wonderfully. Sydney was in the kitchen putting the final garnishes on her Italian cuisine. As she started cutting the parsley into fine bits, she got engulfed by two arms around her waist, which was followed by a light peck on her neck.

“ Everything smells so delicious,” Danny said as he took a big whiff into her neck, which tickled her a little.

“ So you’ve forgotten what an expert chef I am.”

“ I wasn’t talking about the food,” he nuzzled at her neck some more. She tried to ease out of his grip and return to her task.

“ Now is not the best time. I need to finish this dish so we can actually start eating soon.” She told him like he was a little child. He didn’t want to hear it. Seeing his disappointment, she gave him a peck on the cheek and showed him her pearly whites. He hadn’t seen her smile in a long time and missed it.

“ Fine. I’m just glad that your spirits have brightened. I was a little worried that . . .”

“ I know,” she nodded as she resumed to chopping. “ I was a little worried too. Dixon was more than a coworker. I knew that I would not be able to function at the bank without him. I just didn’t think that I would have such a hard time functioning outside of work too. I’m sorry.”

“ Don’t be. All that matters is that you are returning to being happy once again. Did your supervisor find someone else for you to work with? I would imagine business trips all alone can be boring.”

“ Yes. In fact, he is sitting out in the living room as we speak.” Danny’s eyes widened.

“ Michael?? Isn’t it funny how things work out?” She gave him an agreeing little nod as she sprinkled the last bits onto the dish.

Vaughn sat in the living room, with Alice beside him, trying to engage in conversation with Sydney’s closest friends. Will was a reporter and was currently working on a piece about river pollution. His sister, Amy, was quite the character with her flaming red-pink hair. Francie was a caterer for a small local business with bigger aspirations. Her boyfriend Charlie was a lawyer in the middle of changing his career and becoming a singer instead. Vaughn never knew how much he missed having a normal life with normal friends to just chat with. A hard realization hit him as everyone laughed at Will’s joke about his childhood. His whole life had been so wrapped up in the CIA that he didn’t know how few friends he does have.

“ So Michael, where are you from?” Francie asked clearly interested in learning more about the two new additions to their dinner parties.

“ Uh, I was born in France. My family moved here because of my father’s work when I was five.”

“ Oh, do you still speak French fluently?”

“ Yes. I actually had been living there for the last year because of work.”

“ He actually knows more than just French and English. He also speaks Italian and German. ” Alice tagged on while looking at Vaughn admiringly. Vaughn on the other hand felt a little embarrassed by her extra comment.

“ Actually, I am just learning German and I wouldn’t call my Italian fluent either,” he said modestly.

“ Wow, you’re just like Syd,” Amy piped in.

“ Yeah, she’s always so quick with languages. I for one don’t understand it. Why take Italian and Spanish when she’s studying to become an English teacher,” Francie added. Vaughn made a mental note about Sydney’s status as a student. She just keeps getting more and more interesting. How does she balance school with all the spy stuff?

All of a sudden, their conversation was interrupted by a beeping from Vaughn’s pants. He blushed a little as he reached down and looked at the page. He cursed mentally as he recognized Kristine’s code for signaling a last minute meeting. He turned to face Alice’s worried eyes that quickly dissolved into disappointed ones. He apologetic expression was one that she saw often. She knew it was probably work and she usually didn’t question because she never really wanted to know all the complicated finance issues of his job anyway.

“ Now?” she whispered quietly as others started engaging on other conversation topics.

“ I have to . . .” he said sadly. “ It’s . . .important. You should stay though. We wouldn’t want to be too rude to Sydney and Danny.”

After quickly apologizing to everyone, Vaughn dashed out of the house. As the door shut, Sydney had just made her way into the living room carrying a bottle of wine. She scanned the room quickly to find that Vaughn was missing.

“ Where did . . .” she started to ask with a confused expression.

“ He apologizes deeply, but he had something important with work,” Alice tried to apologize even though she was really mad at him for leaving like that. Alice thought she was making Sydney feel better, but in fact, Sydney became increasingly confused. Why would he go to SD-6 now? Why didn’t she get a page?

“ An emergency? They probably need me to come in too.”

“ Syd, just relax. I’m sure the bank doesn’t need you now,” Danny tried to talk her out of going as well.

“I just know I’ll be getting a beep soon.” All of Sydney’s friends knew that there was no use talking to her about her work. They all agree that she puts too much effort into a stupid bank job. Before they could object anymore, Sydney was already apologizing while her feet carried her toward the door.

As the door slammed closed for the second time in less than three minutes, the people that were left in the house simply looked at each other with baffled looks.

“ Well I guess that bank certainly has some devoted workers huh?” Will tried to make light of the situation and everyone just laughed.

Sydney got in her car and saw that Vaughn hadn’t gone too far ahead of her. Why hadn’t Sloane paged her by now about the emergency? Her instincts told her to keep some distance as she drove behind him in the direction of Credit Dauphine. After driving for some time, she saw the sign for the bank approaching on the left. Her curiosity picked up as she sees him driving past the garage entrance down the road. She had a nervous feeling in her stomach and she thought, “ What is going on?” She decided to follow him some more to get her answers.

Chapter 11

Vaughn pulls into a parking space and quickly dashed into the gift store; however, once in the store, he slows down to a casual walk as he passed shelves of small miniatures towards the stacks of books in the back. He picks a book off the shelf, some random self-help book, and started flipping through. Kristine’s arm brush by as she reaches past him for a travel guide.

“ Any tails?”

“ I don’t think so, but I had a feeling that someone was behind me.”

“ Hope I didn’t interrupt anything,” she whispers. He couldn’t tell if she is being sincere. She had to have known that he would be at Sydney’s house. She was sitting behind in that café when he had been invited.

“ Nothing to interrupt. Just trying to have a normal evening with new acquaintances.”

“ I’m sorry, ” she says in a barely audible voice. Realizing that she sounds like a child ashamed because she knew she did something she shouldn’t have, she clears her throat to regain some superiority. “ I forgot,” she adds firmly.

“It’s okay. I know you wouldn’t have done it if it wasn’t important,” he replies softly.

She lowers her head. It is important, but couldn’t she have waited until the next morning? She probably could have and quickly hated herself. It isn’t like her to not allow him to have any life outside the CIA just because she doesn’t have one. Work is everything to her, and she does sometimes forget that it may not be the same with other people. Even if deep down she suspects it is his whole life also.

“ Yeah. I was just ordered to give you some new information.” He nods his head looking as if he agrees with the self-help book.

“ I just got clearance to tell you that . . . there is another double inside SD-6.” She can ear him suck in a quick breath with surprise.

“ Who?”

“ My father said it would be better if I not tell you yet. The person would make it known when they feel the time is right.”

“ Does this person know about me?”

“ Only that you are a double. Nothing about past work with other branches.”

“ When would the right time be?”

“ Soon. That’s why I asked if I could inform you ahead of time.”

“ There’s more . . .” he senses that she wants to tell him more but she isn’t allowed to.

“ No. . . .that’s all I was suppose to say.” She knows it sounds lame, but it is the truth.
He starts to get a little frustrated. She had sparked his interest and now wouldn’t reveal more. Why didn’t she just not say anything at all?

“ Then maybe you should have waited until you were suppose to say everything.” He couldn’t control the words out of his mouth. She was already feeling terrible that she really didn’t need to call him, but his words hurt her more than she wants to admit.

“ I’m sorry,” he quickly apologizes. “ I know there are rules that you have to follow.”

“ No, you’re right. There is more.”

“ Listen, if you can’t . . . then don’t elaborate,” though he wants to know, he realizes that it is hard on her.

She remains silent for a few seconds contemplating her next move. She mentally goes down a list of pros and cons for telling him something extra. In the end, it is guilt that outweighs everything. She feels so bad that there was no real reason to call him out here tonight. She owes him this.

“ I wanted to find out more about this other double. Before your case, I hadn’t known much about the Alliance. It was purely for my own interest. It was very hard to find records . . .but I have a friend who was willing to help. I’m not entirely sure if it is completely reliable, so . . . .don’t take too much into this.”

He has a funny feeling about where she was going with all this. Why does she feel like she has to explain all this background about how she obtained the information. It is like she is preparing him for something. But what?

“ While looking. . . we found files of other agents. Whether everything connects, I don’t know. But . . .your father’s name came up in a list of those other agents.”

As the words “your father” left her mouth, an overwhelming sense of grief resurface after years of suppressing it.

“ What does that mean? My father and the double . . .”

“ I don’t know. I’m working on finding more. I just thought . . .”

“ Thank you,” She is taking a risk digging in places that she shouldn’t for him. He is sincerely grateful. At the news that he may learn more about a mystery that he had been trying to figure out his entire life, he doesn’t know what to think.

She wants him to tell her what he’s thinking, but knows it isn’t the right place or time. She should just slip away quietly. As she passes by she whispers, “ Make sure to buy something . . . just in case you were followed.”

After more moments of staring at the self help book, he hears the ringing of the bell as the door to the gift shop closes and puts the book back onto the shelf. He walks around the shop a little longer to give ample time in between her departure and his.

Something silver catches his eye on one of the shelves and gives him an idea. He picks up the gift and walks to the counter.

“ Would you like it gift wrapped in a box sir?” the girl at the counter asked.

“ Uh . . . no, just a small bag will do.”

“ Finally,” Sydney thinks to herself as she sees him walk out. She couldn’t see anything after he went into the store. She didn’t think it was wise to follow into the store. It seemed like ages as she waited impatiently outside in the parking lot. She sees him put a paper bag into his coat pocket. She is still confused. Where is this place? Why would he be here? This is definitely not for work . . .or is it?

She brings herself to an upright position as she sees his car starting to leave the parking lot. Her logic sense tells her to drop it. He probably just went to buy something at a store. But why in the middle of our dinner party? Something doesn’t make sense. In the back of her mind, Sloane’s words keep repeating. “ If there is any suspicion . . .” She sighs and turns on the engine.

He drives quite slowly now unlike when he was going to the store. He was going so fast it seemed like something urgent was waiting for him. Why the sudden change? She tells herself not to ask any more questions and just follow. He drives into a more isolated area. “ We are definitely outside the main city,” she nervously thinks to herself. All of sudden, he pulls over on the road, gets out, and walks up a small hill.

Sydney quietly and slowly gets out of her car. She suddenly notices that she didn’t even bother to change when she thought she was going to work. Thank goodness she was wearing soft flat shoes rather than her heals. She could be so much quieter this way. As she makes her way up the hill, she is careful to dodge behind trees. As she reaches the top, she realizes where she is.

Even in the dark, the moonlight shines clearly on the edges of the gravestones. She shouldn’t be afraid, but she has an uneasy feeling. She never liked cemeteries. It is completely quiet, but then she hears his soft voice.

She walks closer and closer. His back is to her and is obviously too distracted in his own thoughts to notice.

She is finally close enough to make out his words instead of simple mumbles.

“ I may be closer now. To finding out the truth dad,” he says. She holds her breath while listening intently.

“ I know you probably didn’t want me looking . . .but . . .” he stops abruptly and looks down at his shoes in silence. She had never been so intrigued to find out more. She almost wills him to continue.

As if getting the vibes she is sending, he takes a deep breath to control his emotions to allow him to continue.

“ I have to know. I will feel there will always be something missing . . .if I just let it go without ever knowing what happened.” He swallows hard and reaches into his coat pocket for the bag.

He takes out a small silver miniature of a hockey stick with a puck. He smiles at it a little and “ This is for you . . .” and places it on the gravestone.

Sydney shifts a little to get a better look at what is in his hand. This time his ears pick up the sounds of someone standing behind him. At the same instant that he turns around to follow the sound, she dashes behind a tree.

While leaning up against the trunk of tree and holding her breath, she mentally prays that he wouldn’t come any closer. Her heart starts to pound in her chest and she doesn’t know why. She senses him walking closer and closer. She can hear the shuffle along the grassy ground. She feels her stomach jump at the sound of his voice.

“ What are you doing here?”

whoa that was great!!! ugh but dont stop!!! oh what is she gonna say??!! ok you so better have more up soon!!

0oo0o angel!!! finally u posted!!! great chapters!! all of it!! u better post more soon and not make us wait long!!

3 chapters!!!!! *does a happy dance* the last chapter had a very evil cliffhanger!!! thanx 4 the pm and post more soon!!!!!!!!!!

Back